Old 21 Jul 2003, 14:02 (Ref:667171)   #26
DieRitter
Racer

Switzerland
Zürich, Switzerland
DieRitter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Spudgun
But I would give my right arm to go back to the time when Piquet and Mansell were giving it their all in identical cars. 1987 British GP says it all!
That was a sensational race

I have nothing against Mansell... just think that Piquet was smarter... He actually had the last laugh that year... even with an horredous crash in Imola.

And regarding going to Ferrari at the time... Well, that's why I rate Prost above both Piquet and Mansell... He almost got the title in 90! So close...

And guys... you see? More than a decade and we still talk about them!

Last edited by DieRitter; 21 Jul 2003 at 14:06.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 14:05 (Ref:667175)   #27
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by krt917

- His behaviour outside of the car was also a bit dodgey, though he was far from alone in that respect. Particularly loathsome for me were his comments about Senna's sexuality, the 'ugliness' of Mansell's wife and his outbursts to Patrick Head and Frank Williams when Mansell proved a bit quicker than he had expected.
Most of people doesn't know what was running behind the scenes at that time, and that's a shame.

Anyone who watched the 80's knows that Piquet is a legend, and that he's considered one of the greats by the experts.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 14:08 (Ref:667177)   #28
DieRitter
Racer

Switzerland
Zürich, Switzerland
I'm a Prost fan... but totally agree with you Bononi.

I know well all the behind scenes stories from those years... Plus all stories of Piquet's early days.

Last edited by DieRitter; 21 Jul 2003 at 14:09.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 17:34 (Ref:667427)   #29
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by mr v
First he went to Ferrari alongside Berger, and scored 40 (??) of Ferrari's 59 points that season.
Mansell 38 points (2 wins)
Berger 21 points (1 wins)

Old 21 Jul 2003, 17:51 (Ref:667450)   #30
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Bononi
Most of people doesn't know what was running behind the scenes at that time, and that's a shame.

Anyone who watched the 80's knows that Piquet is a legend, and that he's considered one of the greats by the experts.
Well that depends on the experts. Other experts put Mansell above Piquet; experts or not they are just expressing their opinions. I'm not an expert but I have watched F1 since the 60's and my own view is that Mansell was better and I am not greatly persuaded by WDC titles where consistency has always counted for more than winning races. I'm more interested in race winners than points accumulators.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 18:32 (Ref:667501)   #31
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I Agree with you.

I always liked Mansell style, and his was a great fun to watch. If he was better than Piquet, it's purely a personal view. Experts, like the name says, rely on what he contributed to the sport, and this Piquet is undoubtly ahead of many a drivers.
Recently, in a special program about Nelson Angelo Piquet, they were sitting in front of the car watching the mechanics. Then the reporter asked Piquet snr, if he was more driver or mechanic at heart. Piquet promptly replied "I always have been more mechanic than driver, I love work in a car". This is clearly reflected in his contribution to the sport, and his style of driving, strategy to get the championships. Despite his infamous bad mouthing, a character like Piquet is greatly missed in Formula One.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 19:36 (Ref:667560)   #32
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: Nelson Piquet

Quote:
Originally posted by Mekola
You'd better say "he beated Carlos Reutemann in the process". Jones pretended but never was a serious contender in 1981.

Oh yeah, I meant to say he beat Carlos Reutemann in 1981. Thanks!
Old 22 Jul 2003, 05:56 (Ref:667944)   #33
DieRitter
Racer

Switzerland
Zürich, Switzerland
We also have to consider that Mansell is British... so it's natural for Brits to think he was better than Piquet.

A friend of mine met a Brazilian journalist called Reginaldo Lemes a while ago and we learned that Mansell's reputation in Brazil wasn't the best...

And in Germany? What did we think? Looking at the his numbers, innovations and charisma... I guess that Piquet will be aways ahead... But again... that's pretty personal.

I watched Piquet winning in 1981 and 1983... and F1 at the time was far more competitive than it was when Mansell finally won in 92. We know pretty well what happened in 1987... but as I said, Imola was Piquet's end.

Yoong Montoya... I wish you could read German... Last year I read an article that called Piquet a "crowd favorite", so I guess that the way a driver is rated is not only personal but a matter of nationality as well.

http://www.f1sportnews.de/news_170802_2.shtml
Old 22 Jul 2003, 06:05 (Ref:667946)   #34
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I watched him from his F3 days. He was a great talent and I liked him. Obviously Mansell appeared to be better in my eyes but not until he started putting the races together after '83.

He could get up anybody's nose but he didn't have that "I'm the greatest" attitude which some of his south american compatriots seem to have (unjustly in a lot of cases). All in all he was a great racer and a bit of a showmman at times. But the sight of him powering out of Druids with a black haze of unburnt rocket fuel behind him will live forever in my mind.

Agreed that F1 was less competitive in 92 but that was because Mansell, Patrese and Williams made it so.

Mansell and Piquet was a team to dream about. Agression, skill and a combined will to win that took the breath out of Prost and Senna. It's a shame but it would be nice to look back on history and see Mansell WDC '86 and Piquet WDC '87.
Old 22 Jul 2003, 11:58 (Ref:668197)   #35
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
Mansell and Piquet was a team to dream about. Agression, skill and a combined will to win that took the breath out of Prost and Senna. It's a shame but it would be nice to look back on history and see Mansell WDC '86 and Piquet WDC '87.
Wow Peter ! That makes F1 of today looks very poor...
Old 22 Jul 2003, 12:08 (Ref:668205)   #36
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Its partly why I get fed up with the JPM is the best thing since sliced bread thing.

But you can't always look back can you?
Old 22 Jul 2003, 12:25 (Ref:668225)   #37
DieRitter
Racer

Switzerland
Zürich, Switzerland
After so many years, 2003 is actually the first season I'm really enjoying to watch... but not because of the new format.

It's just because we now have 4 teams with chances to win a GP Silverstone was pretty good...

Last edited by DieRitter; 22 Jul 2003 at 12:27.
Old 22 Jul 2003, 12:27 (Ref:668229)   #38
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Can't disagree with that at all. And this overtaking thing is making a small comeback too.
Old 22 Jul 2003, 14:46 (Ref:668412)   #39
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Yeah, can't wait for Germany, maybe a rainy weekend and a nutter loose in the straight might help ?
Old 22 Jul 2003, 14:52 (Ref:668418)   #40
high contrast
Retired
Racer

high contrast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Yoong Montoya

Anyway, did anyone actually find out what was on that banner?

They read "Read the Bible" "It's always right"

Here endeth the lesson!

As Mansell says in his book; Piquet had a really annoying sense of humour.

Piquet just had the best cars/motors in F1 at his pique!

When teams were told drivers names had to be on the cockpits, Brabham team boss Bernie Eccelstone had them put on the inside!
Old 22 Jul 2003, 15:05 (Ref:668434)   #41
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Not sure the Brabham was the best. BMW had little faith in its engine and I'm not sure there weren't morepowerful units around at the time. However the Brabham package seemed to gel better than the others. His time at Lotus wasn't so good though was it?

Then Williams with the Honda turbo was another package that went well together. Mostly developed by Rosberg and Mansell. Now there was another great combination.
Old 22 Jul 2003, 18:38 (Ref:668635)   #42
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He was lucky in '81 - Reutemann's engine blew during a pre-race session at las Vegas and Jones wouldn't hand over his engine. So poor Carlos had to drive with a substantially less powerful unit.

He was lucky in '83 - The Renault team imploded, which Prost certainly did not.

He was lucky in '87 - Mansell was clearly the better driver just very unlucky with mechanical failures. And some Honda 'trickery'.

So I would say he was, err, lucky.
Old 22 Jul 2003, 19:02 (Ref:668650)   #43
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Every champion is lucky. I guess you just picked the "lucky side" to label his whole career.

As you clearly see in the above posts - there's much more than lucky and "trickery" to make a 3 WDC.
Old 22 Jul 2003, 19:41 (Ref:668684)   #44
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, i'm just judging by season reviews and my Mansell bias!!
Old 22 Jul 2003, 20:20 (Ref:668755)   #45
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

And also think of how you'll be eventually booted out for no apparent reason in favour of the bosses protege's.....
Old 22 Jul 2003, 20:33 (Ref:668767)   #46
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

:confused:

Are you talking about Frank Williams ?
Old 22 Jul 2003, 21:18 (Ref:668813)   #47
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett

He could get up anybody's nose but he didn't have that "I'm the greatest" attitude which some of his south american compatriots seem to have (unjustly in a lot of cases).

Does Jacques Villeneuve count as someone with that "I'm the greatest" attitude?
Old 23 Jul 2003, 00:20 (Ref:668913)   #48
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by DieRitter
We also have to consider that Mansell is British... so it's natural for Brits to think he was better than Piquet.

I think that Senna was better than Piquet and they are both Brazilian and i'm British so wheres your logic in that

I think it's fair to say that on his day (and there were alot of them) no one, including Senna, Prost and Piquet could touch Mansell for passion and balls out commitment (plus entertainment to watch )

As others have said, it's purely a personal opinion, but i don't think that nationality necessarily comes into it, otherwise i'd be saying that Ralph Firman is better than Michael Schumacer and we all know that that ain't true!
Old 23 Jul 2003, 00:27 (Ref:668922)   #49
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
IMO Senna was the most passionate racer there ever was, he lived motor racing, he died motor racing. His dedication to winning was unbelievable, its all that mattered to him, my Mum tells me the stories of his F3 days where he just seemed to be on another level mentally.

Monaco 88 qualifying made him realise he was going too far, he felt he wasn't driving the car anymore.... that lap was PURE balls out!

But then again I'm a Senna fan!
Old 23 Jul 2003, 00:43 (Ref:668934)   #50
DieRitter
Racer

Switzerland
Zürich, Switzerland
Quote:
Originally posted by mr v
I think that Senna was better than Piquet and they are both Brazilian and i'm British so wheres your logic in that
I don't think that to say that Senna was above Piquet is a matter of nationality...

But in terms of Mansell X Piquet, I guess that there's a little bias there Brits would prefer Mansell over Piquet... Brazilians would prefer Piquet over Mansell... In Germany... well, personal opinion, but I know a lot of guys that always liked Piquet more.

You can't put a legend against a local driver though... I can say that Schummy was better than Senna... Brazilians wouldn't agree of course... But hey, don't think Brazilians would say that Pizzonia (poor guy) was better than any of the Schumachers.

My personal opinion is that Piquet was more complete than Mansell... but at the end of the day, they are legends, no matter who was better.

You can get Prost, Senna, Piquet and Mansell... They are the greatest for different reasons.

Of course Senna was quicker than Prost in qualifying... but Prost was better during the race in terms of best laps.

Mansell was no doubt quicker than Piquet... But Piquet was ages ahead in terms of car setup and race strategy.

The truth is... we all miss those guys! Ok... maybe some of you don't miss Piquet much

Last edited by DieRitter; 23 Jul 2003 at 00:44.
Closed Thread