Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 21 Jul 2003, 13:14 (Ref:667109)   #26
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
obviously the pull of the Brazilian market for Ford wasnt enough OR Jaguar are establishing their own identity a little more independently of the blue oval
Old 21 Jul 2003, 13:14 (Ref:667110)   #27
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Antill
Shame they couldn't find room for Pizzonia at Minardi... would have taken a little of the bad taste out of the situation.
That would have been the best solution imo. At least Antonio has the experience over whoever Minardi are likely to bring in, plus it would be interesting to see how he'd go in a less pressured enviroment.

If Wilson does go to Jag (as looks like it's going to happen) i wonder how this will affect the rumour (and thats all it is at the mo), that ANT will be in the green car next season?

Last edited by Mr V; 21 Jul 2003 at 13:15.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 13:15 (Ref:667113)   #28
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
however, Jaguar Racing has offered him the opportunity to remain with the team as reserve and test driver.
Now where have I heard that before...?!
Old 21 Jul 2003, 13:16 (Ref:667115)   #29
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
there are worse driving jobs out there than test driver for Jaguar...Pizzonia will be ok
Old 21 Jul 2003, 13:16 (Ref:667116)   #30
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
To the great regret of Jaguar Racing...
Pah!
Old 21 Jul 2003, 13:17 (Ref:667117)   #31
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
Minardi need the dough so irrespective of Antonio's experience will take whoever brings the fattest cheque
Old 21 Jul 2003, 13:18 (Ref:667120)   #32
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Well, here it is from www.autosport.com ...

British Formula 1 rookie Justin Wilson has joined Jaguar Racing with immediate effect, replacing Brazil's Antonio Pizzonia from the German Grand Prix on August 3 onwards.

The 24-year-old erstwhile Minardi racer will partner Mark Webber for the rest of the season at Jaguar, as the Milton Keynes-based team has decided that Pizzonia has not done enough to keep his race seat. The Brazilian will be offered a role as reserve and test driver, but has yet to make a decision.

"We are delighted to have Justin join us for the remainder of the 2003 season in what is a richly deserved opportunity," said Jaguar Racing's managing director David Pitchforth. "In the Jaguar R4 we clearly have a competitive car and one that has helped Mark Webber secure 12 points, thereby taking the team to sixth place in the constructors' championship. With five races left on the calendar, it is critical that we are maximising our potential with two race cars."
Old 21 Jul 2003, 13:20 (Ref:667125)   #33
Mr V
Veteran

England
I presume that Jaguar have actually measured the length of their cockpit so that they are certain that Justin will fit in
Old 21 Jul 2003, 13:21 (Ref:667128)   #34
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FANTASTIC NEWS
FANTASTIC NEWS
FANTASTIC NEWS
FANTASTIC NEWS
FANTASTIC NEWS
FANTASTIC NEWS
FANTASTIC NEWS
FANTASTIC NEWS
FANTASTIC NEWS
FANTASTIC NEWS
FANTASTIC NEWS
FANTASTIC NEWS
FANTASTIC NEWS
FANTASTIC NEWS
FANTASTIC NEWS
FANTASTIC NEWS
Old 21 Jul 2003, 13:23 (Ref:667130)   #35
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm pelased that Justin ahs an opportunity to move up the field, although there are a few interesting questions out of this.

With the limite testing in the next few weeks, Jsutin will hve very little time to get used to the car, especially as he'll need to learn teh new Hockenheim, Indy and Suszuka from scratch. He won't be able to be as compettive as Webber,s o will thsi count agaisnt him in terms of getitng the 2004 drive. Could Jaguar be doing this simply to shut up those who want t aBritish driver, and then use it as an excuse to sign someone else?

What does it say to young drivers who want to get into F1, looking at the way Pizzonia, Massa, Sato, Davidson and even Yoong have been given so little time to prove themselves in a very complicated technical sport?

Kiesa seems like a good guess for the seocnd Minardi drive, but I can see Paul doing what Dale Coyne does in CART for the rest of the year, selling it out on a race-by-race deal to whever brings one-off sponsorship. Don't be surprised, for example, if Bell or Herta are in for Indianapolis.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 13:26 (Ref:667133)   #36
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
Herta for Indy would be cool
Old 21 Jul 2003, 13:30 (Ref:667138)   #37
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
fabulous. that's all i can say

antonio's one of the best drivers i've ever seen so it'd be a terrible shame if this was the end of his f1 career. sucess in rallying, anyone?
Old 21 Jul 2003, 13:34 (Ref:667142)   #38
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, Jaguar have replaced a non-points-scoring driver with... another non-points-scoring driver!

Yet another example of the stupid "logic" that Jaguar use when trying to resolve problems: if in doubt, fire somebody!!
Old 21 Jul 2003, 13:36 (Ref:667148)   #39
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pizzonia=Magnussen! Same team too. Goood for Wilson?
Old 21 Jul 2003, 13:45 (Ref:667154)   #40
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I just don't understand why Jaguar doesn't hire a really good driver to partner Mark - somebody like DC
Old 21 Jul 2003, 13:48 (Ref:667156)   #41
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
errr, because he's a McLaren driver?

Wilson is an F1 ace of the future and, the only issue I have is the morals of his new team but still a good chance for him.

I don't rate Pizzaboy at all as he was dangerous and poor in F3000 and only won F3 in a weak year with easily the best car - but his treatment hardly seems fair...
Old 21 Jul 2003, 14:05 (Ref:667174)   #42
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lets hope Jaguar want Wilson for his talent and not Nationanality, as I thought they were over that.

If its a genuine deal, it should be good for Wilson.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 14:15 (Ref:667182)   #43
903cc
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg - Via Singapore & Australia
903cc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like this quote I got From F1 LIve. It is the Minardi Statement

"A move to Jaguar Racing gives him the opportunity to develop his talent further and, at the same time, benefits Minardi enormously, as it helps to assure the team’s future in Formula One. "

Seems Paul got some big bucks for releasing Wilson

Last edited by 903cc; 21 Jul 2003 at 14:16.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 14:16 (Ref:667183)   #44
jonathanc
Racer

jonathanc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good for Wilson!! Lets hope he can prove himself better than the out going pizzaboy. Best of luck to him and bad luck for Antonio. Roll on Germany.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 14:31 (Ref:667193)   #45
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
lets hope Justin also got some dough out of it to help repay that faith his investors had in him
Old 21 Jul 2003, 14:33 (Ref:667194)   #46
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A few things from reading the posts above.

First, I think Pizzonia is better than Sato ever was in the Jordan. I mean no disrespct but he hasn't thrown the car off the island that many times.

Second, Wilson has had little testing in the Minardi so with the technology available to him in the Jaguar he hopefully will be on the pace fairly quickly. He gets Friday morning just the same.

Third, it is symptomatic of Jaguar to change its line up more times than a w........... well anyway lots of times. Don't necessarily agree with it but it appears to be the norm.

Finally. Good luck Justin. Make the best of this chance and let's hope it boosts you through the next seasons. The Jaguars proved they could race yesterday so I look forward to seeing some great battles.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 14:35 (Ref:667198)   #47
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Of course Minardi got a settlement from Jag for releasing Wilson. I think the deal works for all concerned. I hope Justin is able to settle in quickly and run at a pace competitive with Webber's.

Minardi's remote chance of the odd point just got remoter, but if they offer the seat on a race by race basis, I think that Bell or Herta at Indy would be pretty cool.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 14:35 (Ref:667201)   #48
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by PaulSands
obviously the pull of the Brazilian market for Ford wasnt enough OR Jaguar are establishing their own identity a little more independently of the blue oval
There's nothing to do with brazilian ford market, which is well stabilished as one of the oldest manufacturers in the country...
Old 21 Jul 2003, 14:45 (Ref:667212)   #49
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
stefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was just looking at the fastest lap times for Silverstone. Wilson was second to last - Pizzonia was 9th quickest, just behind TGF and 7 tenths quicker than webber. So he does seem to be quick - but he never gets any points.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 15:08 (Ref:667242)   #50
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this really good for Justin? Will they sack him the moment he starts to underperform?

I have to feel bad for Pizzonia though....he's been doing a pretty decent job lately. I hope someone else gives him a chance, but I doubt it...another F1 career ruined by Jaguar. At least Bobby Rahal had somewhere to head back to...
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Closed Thread