Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Jul 2003, 18:32 (Ref:671323)   #26
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Ad breaks of previous years did seem to be fewer and better timed, also there did appear to be a little leway as to the exact timing should an incident happen during the countdown to the break (as happened with the Silverstone protest).

There is no doubt the James Allen in knowledgable in certain areas of F1 such as fuel strategy and such which is to be expected given his F1 background.
The problem as I see it is that his enthuasiasm overtakes all other aspects of his commentary, resulting in at times blatent errors, and ridiculous comments. This could have also been levelled at Murray Walker but the difference is that Murray accepted this.
Perhaps a return to where he knows best would be better for the ITV coverae as a whole. Ben Edwards has been suggested as a replacement and I'd add my support to that.

Ms Turner's appearences are something that IMHO are not required, surely Louise in her former role as PR for Jordon is more than qualified to do any of the "glamour" segments, plus the fact the drivers wouldn't have a "who are you?" look as they currently have when Ms Turner interviews them as Louise is well known in the paddock.

Replacing Jim Rosenthal with a dedicated motorsports person would offer the pre and post race shows a greater level of credibility. At the moment it appears as if every question to Tony and Mark is passed to him through his earpiece seconds before he asks it, this is more noticable when the director cut's to him early as Tony or Mark finish their point, all to often Rosenthal has a blank look as if to say "I haven't a clue what you are talking about"
Old 25 Jul 2003, 18:56 (Ref:671334)   #27
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
We need to see more of Ralf's wife... Mmmmn...

Seriously though, I agree with Jay. We really don't have it bad when you consider what you get with Speed, which broadcasts races from around the world, but with commentators in a studio in the US.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 19:48 (Ref:671368)   #28
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anybody miss Mika's wife closeups ???
Old 25 Jul 2003, 20:52 (Ref:671417)   #29
x_dt
Veteran

England
Manchester, UK
x_dt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Compared to the coverage of other series by other channels (in particular Eurosport's coverage of CART/F3000) the coverage of F1 by ITV is reasonable.

But why can't they show the Saturday qualifying for races in the Americas live? (Canada qualifying has never been live on ITV since they gained the F1 rights in 1997)
It is not as if "Coronation Street" is screened on Saturday evenings.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 20:57 (Ref:671421)   #30
903cc
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg - Via Singapore & Australia
903cc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I say don't complain. I am an Aussie Living in Denmark and have to watch the races on the Swedish Channel. We get 12 minutes of ads once an hour with no thought. I can never understand what they are cooking...
Old 25 Jul 2003, 22:31 (Ref:671474)   #31
Matthopps
Racer

United Kingdom
Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Matthopps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The theme music - bring back 'The Chain' - that would make it better straight away - it would certainly put viewers in a better mood and give a greater sense of action, anticipation and actually 'being-there'. Much better than the bland remix of something I've never even heard of that is used now.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 22:33 (Ref:671478)   #32
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The ad breaks aren't that bad. I think they have a certain number of breaks they have to take, so if there's a long safety car period they can get a couple out of the way there, leaving an uninterrupted period of the race.
The breaks coming on at the end of Magny-Cours was an error which only happened in a couple of ITV regions, and with the nutter on the track... what if a car had hit him, live on TV? Probably best that they did show the ads.
There's only a couple of times that I can recall where ITV have missed something important during an ad break - Hill overtaking Schu for the lead at Hungary '97. and Mclaren's double retirement at Europe '98.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 22:34 (Ref:671481)   #33
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And another thing; I enjoyed the feature at the weekend where they took that rugby player and showed how they made a front wishbone piece. Even though it had a token celeb in, it was quite an interesting insight, shame we didn't get to see more.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 22:50 (Ref:671489)   #34
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I think the coverage is good, but...

On the French GP, on the last lap they suddenly went to adverts for 10 minutes, flicking back and forth between the race and ads in a strange fashion. Eventually the error ident popped up and some music was played.

By that point, I think they were all on the podium. Then the feed went back to the ITV pundits and nothing was said about the 10 minute break at all.

I honestly don't understand those that continue to campaign against James Allen. He's a fine commentator and very knowledgeable. Biased is not really an accusation you could level at him, especially when you consider Brundle is a manager of a certain McLaren driver and up to last year allegedly had interests in Arrows.

Let's face it, James Allen is better than Jonathan Palmer. The man used to put me to sleep.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 23:49 (Ref:671536)   #35
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by DriverT
Biased is not really an accusation you could level at him, especially when you consider Brundle is a manager of a certain McLaren driver and up to last year allegedly had interests in Arrows.
Martin is involved in F1 in other ways. DC, BRDC, etc... However when commentating you can't tell this. He is very critical of DC hen he does something wrong. However, James is nothing but an observer and he is biased.

That is the difference.

Also Palmer was very dull. James keeps me awake, but with outrage. This is not better for ITV, because I am still in rage mode when the ads come on, hardly susceptible to buy whatever rubbish front wheel drive diesel engined cars they are advertising.
Old 26 Jul 2003, 00:23 (Ref:671554)   #36
peteconnors
Racer

United Kingdom
Shropshire
peteconnors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As long as there are not adverts during football matches, there shouldn't be any during a grand prix. I also think the qualifying sessions should all be live, so I don't accidently hear the results on Sky before I see the session...
As far as commentators go, I always thought Mika was a possibility, although would Martin be able to get a word in edgeways?
Old 26 Jul 2003, 00:30 (Ref:671560)   #37
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Here is a question / complaint for ITV;

How is it that ITV have to show 5 or 6 ad breaks of 3 minutes duration when in Italy they have 2 seperate advert breaks lasting about 20 seconds throughtout the entire race?
Old 26 Jul 2003, 00:36 (Ref:671561)   #38
bacon sandwich
Racer

United Kingdom
basildon essex
bacon sandwich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Matthopps
The theme music - bring back 'The Chain' - that would make it better straight away.
Totally agree with you there Matthops - can't beat Fleetwood Mac.

I think Martin's gridwalks are the best bit. I love it when he gets interviews with drivers because they're his old team mates or just the fact they are happy to do it because they respect him and class him as one of theirs - but please please please get rid of these naff celebs.
I do not want to see some half baked actor who has no idea what a motor race even is, walking around a grid and getting in with the teams when I marshal about 30 days a year for the sport and even if I do the GP I can't get that close to the teams/ drivers. It really winds me up. Stick to the drivers/ team owners etc.
Also I think 1st qualifying should be shown live or at least earlier.
It's on at midnight - so you tape it, then go out marshalling the next day so have to tape Qualifying 2, then don't get home till late and you have to try and watch both Quallies before the race on Sunday - whereas if it was on earlier on Friday - you could watch it Fri evening. Perhaps if they don't want to muck up Friday night prime time could they at least put it earlier on ITV2.
Old 26 Jul 2003, 01:56 (Ref:671600)   #39
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Um...actually i thought it was of itv's better efforts...ever
Perhaps it was silverstones' superb cameramen that is swinging me
Old 26 Jul 2003, 12:57 (Ref:671824)   #40
jiggly_puff
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leeds/St.Albans
jiggly_puff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
talking of bias........wasn't murray walker heavily biased towards a certain british world champion! people can't help haveing favourites - its natural i mean we are all biased towards certain drivers!
Old 26 Jul 2003, 14:35 (Ref:671882)   #41
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problem with James Allen is that his enthusiasm appears phoney and exaggerated, and he hasn't got the right voice for commentary.

Showing things like scenes out of Terminator 3 is stupid. Also cheesy moments like when Rosenthal asked Arnie to say "I'll be back"...

And interviewing lucky celebrities who didn't pay a thing to get to the race most likely, instead of drivers/team personnel is just taking the **** to be honest.

They don't have adverts during the football, only at half-time. So why should F1 have ads mid-race??? I've got no problem with adverts before and after the race mind you. Nobody takes any notice of the products advertised anyway!!! They go and make a cup of tea or something...
Old 26 Jul 2003, 16:46 (Ref:671958)   #42
Matthopps
Racer

United Kingdom
Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Matthopps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They don't have adverts during the football, only at half-time. So why should F1 have ads mid-race??? I've got no problem with adverts before and after the race mind you. Nobody takes any notice of the products advertised anyway!!! They go and make a cup of tea or something... [/B][/QUOTE]

Exactly... even if the ads are memorable - like the recent Honda campaign - its quite often the ads that people remember and not the products. Perhaps they should just show a load of boring ads (oh wait - they do that already ).
Old 26 Jul 2003, 19:44 (Ref:672102)   #43
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
The problem with James Allen is that his enthusiasm appears phoney and exaggerated, and he hasn't got the right voice for commentary.
I totally agree with Kex ,remember at the French GP ,when Ralf was coming out of the pits and JPM was very close ..
James Allen went OOOOPPPPPPPPPPPP AWWWWWWWWWWWW.....
i thought he had a heart attack!!!

Allen has gotta go..
Old 26 Jul 2003, 22:20 (Ref:672184)   #44
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like to know if the ITV F1 team understand that there is a channel called ITV2. Here is an idea they could show friday quals live on ITV2 or even Saterday quals for this seasans USA GP which i bet will not be live on ITV1.
Old 26 Jul 2003, 23:03 (Ref:672201)   #45
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Isn't ITV2 meant for showing repeats of soaps....