Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 29 Sep 2003, 17:53 (Ref:734416)   #26
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good man Ed. The sooner we see you in the TTFRL the better - welcome aboard.

(You do realise that now that you've been converted to GPL, life as you once knew it will cease to exist........ )
Old 29 Sep 2003, 22:35 (Ref:734662)   #27
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Try Hard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't how many of you are interesed (or even care) but GPL came in at 96 in the PC Gamer Top 100 Games 2003.
Beaten to best racing sim by Toca 2 (82), Moto GP 2 (76), GP4 (60), and CMR2 (59).
What do you think, fair verdict? The only one of those I haven't played/don't own is Moto GP2, but the rest i think is pretty acurate (bear in mind i have only just re-started at GPL).
Shame there was no Nascar 2003 in there....

By the way is a time of 1:30.07 at Kyalami reasonable for a beginner? (set in the cooper). I'm just trying to do all the tracks to set up a GPL rank

regards Ed

Last edited by Try Hard; 29 Sep 2003 at 22:36.
Old 29 Sep 2003, 23:06 (Ref:734675)   #28
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most of us have best laps at Kya in the 1m19's, my pb is a 1m19.658 to give you a guide.

As for it's position in the top 100? Well it was clearly robbed. GP4 ws released buggy and unfinished and will only run well on a real top end system. Toca 2 and CMR2 are both excellent but no where near a match for GPL.
Old 29 Sep 2003, 23:29 (Ref:734686)   #29
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
ahh, i'm some way off then...

Last edited by Try Hard; 29 Sep 2003 at 23:29.
Old 30 Sep 2003, 06:45 (Ref:734922)   #30
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
None of those games even begin to touch the "full" GPL, with the developments made for it over the last 5 years. Nowhere near.......

I wouldn't worry too much about Kya, Ed - its one of the hardest circuits for a beginner to get to grips with.
Old 30 Sep 2003, 07:11 (Ref:734946)   #31
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
2003 though. In 1998 i think it may have been a bit higher up the table. GPL is far better than GP4. Far better. Far better than all of those games.
Old 30 Sep 2003, 16:38 (Ref:735556)   #32
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
it depends who voted .. if people on the net . the result is ok . cause not many can play GPL .. try hard .. i think i am a better benchmark then those veterans .. i started playing GPL around 2 moths ago so....
http://gplrank.schuerkamp.de/php-pub...owDriver=14379
get a GPLrank also .. ..

Ciao Marco
Old 30 Sep 2003, 17:50 (Ref:735621)   #33
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I think that's one of the problems with GPL, and probably why we've never had an official GPL2. The sim is hard to master. You have to persevere. Even I gave it up once before, 3-4 years ago. For those who just want to jump in a car and mix it with the top boys straight out of the box, forget it. This is a learning curve, but, for me, apart from the first few days of spinning off everywhere all the time, I've enjoyed every minute of it.
Old 30 Sep 2003, 17:58 (Ref:735632)   #34
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's the only sim out there that gives you a real sense of achievement when you get a new pb. I also think having a group of like minded people about to race against and compare notes with also helps .
Old 1 Oct 2003, 21:55 (Ref:737220)   #35
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
the vote comes from the staff at PC gamer, so bear in mind that they have loads of differnt types of games to look at, so i think it's a pretty good result.
Heres what they say about the game
Quote:
Grand Prix Legends : Still, five years on the world's most shamlessly difficult racing game. Coming from an era when a Grand Prix didn't count if everyone finished in one piece and when the cars were far too small to host even the tiniest computer it's no suprise that this is one punishing - yet ultimately rewarding - racer. If you can complete a race in this one then you know you're good. If you can win one, perhaos you should consider a new career.
Fair assesment me thinks...
Ed

Last edited by Try Hard; 1 Oct 2003 at 22:00.
Old 2 Oct 2003, 07:01 (Ref:737565)   #36
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
New career eh?

After Monaco on Tuesday night, a bus driver might be appropriate for me, but not around the streets of the principality.......
Old 9 Oct 2003, 19:57 (Ref:745629)   #37
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Try Hard
By the way is a time of 1:30.07 at Kyalami reasonable for a beginner? (set in the cooper). I'm just trying to do all the tracks to set up a GPL rank
Damn Ed, thats about 4 sec better than my time, nice to see another GPL rookie around, i thought i was alone in here.

Anyone ever had problems loading GPL to windows XP?
im loaded it and it was working, then it started to randomly throw me off so i relaoded it and it wouldn't work.
I read the readme and loaded the XP patches on the Data.now directory and the game was working but it was like it was in slow motion, can anyone help me, i cant play it and therefore cant attempt to jopn your GPL league.
Old 9 Oct 2003, 20:23 (Ref:745655)   #38
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
whst spec PC are you running it on? and what version of the game is it? The latest version is 1.2.0.2 (it's displayed in the bottom right of the title screen when the game is loading).
Old 9 Oct 2003, 21:07 (Ref:745692)   #39
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Smokey: see this

It's Bob Simpsons very useful GPL FAQ
Old 10 Oct 2003, 12:47 (Ref:746250)   #40
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
Stupid organisational policies, my school firewall wont let me read it, i'll have to wait till i get home.
It said that its running 1.2.0.2 and that was the slow one, it used to run 1.1.0.1 oe whatever the original is but i would randomly throw me off.
Old 14 Oct 2003, 09:28 (Ref:750638)   #41
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Try Hard
By the way is a time of 1:30.07 at Kyalami reasonable for a beginner? (set in the cooper).
I've closed it down from a 1:34 to a low 1:31 in the Ferrari, im going to try a few other cars to see what happens.
Old 14 Oct 2003, 12:34 (Ref:750825)   #42
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to say i didnt like it before but that was with it as standard, now ive patched it to high heaven i like it alot!! i guess that driving the lotus around monza wasant the best introduction to it but having driven the Brabham as it was the least powerful around somewhere i reconise like silverstone i'm starting to enjoy it the updated cars are amazing!! stil using the old D3D file, havent tried the opengl one yet.
A few questions though, shouldnt there be an auto clutch option? If i switch off the no-damage option i wont last a lap!
You can spin the back wheels but you dont have tire marks like if you lock up.

I've read there are several views depending on a number stored in a file, but is it possible to assign these views to keys?

I am using XP at the moment, but i installed all the relevant patches and it worked straight off.

Last edited by spanner; 14 Oct 2003 at 12:38.
Old 14 Oct 2003, 19:36 (Ref:751295)   #43
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by pirenzo
Smokey: see this

It's Bob Simpsons very useful GPL FAQ
Thanks, that was very useful...im fairly sure now that it was my screensaver/power saving functions, i've got them set really short because the PC is in my bedroom and i dont want the light from the screen when i leave it running.
I'll try changing thiese and hope it works.
Old 14 Oct 2003, 20:37 (Ref:751378)   #44
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I never, ever run a screensaver. More trouble than they're worth. Any power-saving routines should also be turned off. XP may not recognise that GPL is actually running.
Old 15 Oct 2003, 08:48 (Ref:751853)   #45
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
i turned off ALL my screensavers and power saving thingies, but it still chucked me off, back to square one i guess.
Old 15 Oct 2003, 09:37 (Ref:751887)   #46
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
I take it you have used the patch to make it work on faster modern machines? i think if your pc is faster than 1500 your supposed to use it.
Old 15 Oct 2003, 15:53 (Ref:752363)   #47
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I'd use it (the speedfix patch) anyway. It won't do any harm and it also has the by-product of rendering GPL a no-CD game.
Old 21 Oct 2003, 15:01 (Ref:758377)   #48
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
i've tried loads of things to stop it chucking me off.
BUT i've deicded to update the thing anyway, and just hope that it clears up.
Can you post the best places to download from, and are they free downloads? i dont have a debit card...yet!
Old 24 Oct 2003, 12:48 (Ref:761875)   #49
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Smokey, just try the papyrus home page as they still have all the patches up.

I am currently just trying to learn the circuits on novice trainer, occasionally going up to advanced trainer but until i get a new steering wheel/pedals i'll stick with that for now, but i am currently running the Brabham which seemed to have the least power and a bit heavier, but what do people recommend as a good car to learn with?

Having seen some of your times here, i'd be happy to get even near the times at the moment.

Do people use the trainers or has everyone just jumped straight into the grand prix cars?

theres a few strange things with the game, but i am enjoying it.
Old 24 Oct 2003, 15:56 (Ref:762032)   #50
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Forgive me for saying this, but what are you learning? The cars or the circuits? Learn the circuits in the trainers - it doesn't matter how fast you go just to learn when they go left and when they go right - but I wouldn't get too used to the trainer cars. Nor auto gears. Nor brake or accelerator help. You'll have to unlearn everything and start again when you drive those gorgeous unassisted beasts......