Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 14 Sep 2003, 21:52 (Ref:718867)   #26
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Sol
Poor DJR, just when they show some car speed, both car end up crashed against each other!
Again!

Is it just me, or doesn't this strike anyone as - ummmm - odd that DJR appear to be able to do this to each other?? On more than one occasion? How many is it now?
Old 14 Sep 2003, 22:30 (Ref:718905)   #27
bonner
Rookie

bonner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its like garry rogers is contracted for his 20 sec whinge every round OFFICIALS DRIVERS V8 FUTURE he goes on look after your team 1st
Old 14 Sep 2003, 22:37 (Ref:718913)   #28
The Tool Man
Veteran

The Tool Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rpolinski
Tander's comments about Steve being like his father was a bit premature. I wouldn't describe Steve as a great Aussie Legend just yet. And what has Garth's father done that is so special that gives his son the right to attack Dick when he had nothing to do with the situation?

I USED to be a GRM fan until Bargs left. I dont know or know enough about Winchup to pass Judgement on him BUT Garth ( Gril ) Tander and Garry (Whinger) Rogers really **** Me. Every mistake THEY as a team make is someone elses fault.
Ive been a Dick Johnson Fan since I was 5 and saw dicky hooning around in the Two Door Falcon in the late 70's. Garths Comments yesterday were an insult to every fan of Dick, Steve and Australian Motorsport.

I now rate GIRL TANDER worse than I do Grug Mearfy.

You can guarantee this wont be the last Garth hears about his comments from Dick, Id say the GRM lead driver will be making an apology very soon or making a financial contribution through his lawyers.

Old 15 Sep 2003, 01:16 (Ref:719007)   #29
craig1
Racer

craig1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've never been a fan of the mouth that is Garry Rodgers.
Tander, I didn't care either way but yesterday that guy showed that he just isn't a class act.
Fairs fair an incident happens on the track that everyone but Tander was able to avoid and caused a bigger accident.
It's not enough for big mouth to just verbal the other competitor he has to include the guys father.
Go back to being a mechanic Garth, you might be good at that.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 03:36 (Ref:719082)   #30
TMS
Racer

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
TMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do not believe that Garth Tander is at fault in any way. Put yourself in his seat! Start of the race and Jones gets a little loose and the line builds up and wammo! I class it as a racing incident. Yes, Garth Tander should NOT have said some of those harsh comments, but put yourself in his shoes when SJ starts accusing you of something you could not avoid. He obviously over reacted, but remember SJ did accuse him and nobody likes being accused.

I thought SJ shouldn’t have said what he did when later interviewed by himself. He said that Tander "tried to perform another one of his Demon moves". That too was uncalled for.

I rate Tander very highly and I think he is under rated. Put him in a competitive car and I think you would find that he can mix it with the best of them. He is not considered a crasher at all.

As for Garry, I think he is a good bloke who does get on and have a rant at times, but I think he was just disappointed with the weekend’s outcome. He did apologize to his fans and sponsors and said the only thing they can do is motor on.

Basically, I think both drivers shouldn’t have said what they did. They are both at fault. I am sure a lot of this goes on regularly, however what we see on TV is not enough to start judging when we really have no idea.

Just my opinion
Old 15 Sep 2003, 06:00 (Ref:719141)   #31
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought it was fairly disrespectful to make a comment like that about Dick Johnson no matter what the circumstances were. Regardless of your loyalties, it is not quite right to make derogatory comments like that about the "royalty" of the sport in this country. Brock, Johnson, Moffat, JR, Grice and the others that went before them built the sport and laid its foundations.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 15 Sep 2003, 06:06 (Ref:719144)   #32
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I certainly wouldn't be putting Grice in the same category as the others...

Max Stewart, John McCormack maybe, but not a pastry cook
Old 15 Sep 2003, 06:40 (Ref:719165)   #33
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by RaceTime
It's funny - but the impression I got from Garry Rogers was that maybe, just maybe, he is considering his future in V8's....don't know why I get the feeling - but wouldn't be surprised to see him leave and push the Monaro program more...
I hink you are on to something there racetime,I am not sure about leaving but he has been in both the press and now on TV stateing that the team are doing a bad job,collectively.
I suspect that he has overstretched the resources and had to grow to fast to accomadate the work that in all honestly HRT,Dencar and Larry probally knocked back.

His team was a fairly lean operation untill quite recently and has suffered by not being able to concerntrate on the thing that made them work well as a group.The decision to ditch Bargs was always going to happen but the choice of the co-driver has made the development hard yards for the team.Wincup can drive a car no doubt but it is hard to come from having the best car in FF to being in a new class,new team,and the team doing bits of this and bits of that for all manner of classes and effectivly having their eye off the ball.
For Gary to be so keen to admit that the team is struggling on more than one occasion leads me to 2 conclusions,he is getting a roasting from the sponsers and they see no light at the end of the tunnel in the forseable future.
Gary likes to get young guys nice and cheap and see if they are a going to grow into a champ,and with Steven Richards,GT and Bargs he has had some great results but there must come a point in time that you stop growing and embracing the youth policy and start delivering for those that funded the ride up,I think he is being explained that sort of thing now.Garth signing to drive for Holden and staying at GRM would have been fine if he had thought about his team mates learning also.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 07:12 (Ref:719188)   #34
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I doubt he would leave, its a prestigous position being part of the TEGA board
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 15 Sep 2003, 11:03 (Ref:719377)   #35
Hunka
Rookie

Hunka should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will admit that i am a fan of Tander and his hard-charging style and in my opinion the accident is the result of too many cars in too small a space. IMO if you wanted to push someone off, you can do it without doing so much damage to your own car. Both drivers comments were uncalled for but in both drivers defence they had the camera jammed in ther faces straight after a heated exchange. Maybe both should learn from the likes of Brock and Company. But if nothing else its giving us all something to talk about. Competition + tension = interest
Old 15 Sep 2003, 12:27 (Ref:719474)   #36
Archer
Veteran

Archer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe its about time GT left his safety net at GRM, I for one believe in Garths natural ability, but he needs some better machinery. GRM was great in 2000, but competition has advanced since then and whilst others have advanced GRM are being left behind, and in a big hurry.

GT needs to surround himself with new people in a new and better team to get the fire in the belly back.

It wouldnt hurt GRM to get some new (not so much young, but experienced) personel and drivers for that matter back in the garage.
I support (V8): Holden, Holden Racing Team, Perkins Motorsport, #888, #2, #22, #11, #7, #3, #34, #51, #55, #33, #88, #18, #4, #5 & #1. I support (F1): Williams Toyota, Red Bull Renault, #15, #16, #23, #9 & #10.

RIP Peter Brock and Mark Porter
Old 16 Sep 2003, 08:06 (Ref:720377)   #37
TBMATT05
Rookie

TBMATT05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The most ironic thing is according to his column published in the latest V8x (before Sandown) that he when he was growing up up he went for Dicky in the V8s.
Old 16 Sep 2003, 08:14 (Ref:720384)   #38
Onlooker
Veteran

It may be a bit like Lord of the Flies there at the moment

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 16 Sep 2003, 08:20 (Ref:720393)   #39
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
GT is a good teacher though, the VY he and Nathan Pretty drove had an similar bonnet 'A' shape to the Whincup/Simonsen machine at Sandown

I am not sure its a lack of fire in the belly, more that the team is distracted by the Monaro thing...
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 16 Sep 2003, 08:24 (Ref:720398)   #40
Onlooker
Veteran

But since they score an win at Bathurst they have done nothing.Bet bargs is unhappy to have had to leave,no driver of any credentuals has joined the team,why???

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 16 Sep 2003, 08:29 (Ref:720403)   #41
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Because GR is too cheap to pay them market rates??
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 16 Sep 2003, 09:26 (Ref:720451)   #42
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In the past, i couldn't stand GT, I thought he was just another loud mouthed, cocky, arrogant little brat, but latley he's impressed me with a couple of things he's done.

At the recent Improved Production National titles, he was there pit crewing for fiancee Leanne Ferrier, refueling, changing tyres etc. I even saw him sweeping the floor of the pit garage! A lot of people were impressed by a professional V8 Supercar driver, not thinking he was above that sort of stuff.

Also, at Sandown I thought he played it pretty cool, copping apenalty he didn't earn and taking it easy when junior came up and gave him a razz. I actually think the reference to being as big a whinger as DJ was quite funny. GT works for the biggest whinger in the game, so he's some what of an expert on the topic.
Old 16 Sep 2003, 10:02 (Ref:720485)   #43
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Hey thats no biggie, Ross Stone was spotted on the Sunday after most of the fans had gone home, sweeping the floor of his pit garage while the rest of the team packed the cars away......
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 16 Sep 2003, 10:49 (Ref:720516)   #44
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sunday at Winton last year, I was wandering around the merchandise area only to see Gary Rogers working in the tent flogging the Valvoline shirts and caps! Race day and all...

Come to think of it, all the #35 stuff was on special!!!
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 16 Sep 2003, 11:53 (Ref:720591)   #45
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DAVID PATERSON

At the recent Improved Production National titles, he was there pit crewing for fiancee Leanne Ferrier, refueling, changing tyres etc. I even saw him sweeping the floor of the pit garage! A lot of people were impressed by a professional V8 Supercar driver, not thinking he was above that sort of stuff.
I have no time for him now. The IP race that i did at Oran Park , my car stalled on the dummy grid and i was trying to push it out if the way and Garth just stood there and watched whilst another competitor got out of his car and helped me clutch start it. (he was a QLD competitor too Patto)

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 18 Sep 2003, 09:15 (Ref:722812)   #46
TeamChaparral
Rookie

TeamChaparral should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You took the words out of my mouth Dave. I reckon he's a legend... And what he said at Sandown... Whatta cracker... Go Garth...
Old 18 Sep 2003, 09:45 (Ref:722839)   #47
TheMan
Racer

TheMan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Garth is the most overrated driver in the category. I have watched the replay over and over again and it was no doubt Tanders fault. Jones had locked brakes well before the corner and began to run wide. If you notice in the replay Ellery was right up Tanders clacker and managed to back off and avoid contact, The fact is that Tander was driving like an idiot and never gave such consideration. Tander got what he deserves with the drive thru and hopefully will make him think twice next time.
I was also scanning the teams radios on the weekend and heard Ellery tell his team on lap 2 that he was letting Tander past because he was driving like an idiot. After the Tander, Johnson incident Ellery radioed his crew and told them that Tander just took Johnson out.
Am not a Tander fan, Never was and never will be.
Go the FORDS.
Old 18 Sep 2003, 09:51 (Ref:722843)   #48
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How can it be GT's fault when Brad Jones runs wide & locks a brake, where's Tander supposed to go? I bet if it was the other way around & Tander had locked his brake & Jones hit Johnson you'd still be blaming Tander.
Old 18 Sep 2003, 09:58 (Ref:722850)   #49
TheMan
Racer

TheMan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
You miss the point jetsetter. Jones ran wide in the corner before the incident. Tander had plenty of time to respond and didn`t when other drivers did. He was reckless and deserved the penalty. And if it were to be the other way around I would be blaming Jones. This is not a witch hunt, he did the wrong thing and deserves to be punished as simple as that.
Old 18 Sep 2003, 13:30 (Ref:723045)   #50
The Tool Man
Veteran

The Tool Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ive been going back through tapes of past years Bathursts and Championship Rounds and Garth is up there on equal par with the amount of times an innocent or semi innocent has been punted by him....too bloody many times.
Closed Thread