Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Jun 2004, 18:33 (Ref:1002755)   #26
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's silly. If Ferrari ordered RB to sit back, i don't think RB would start to take the inside and stuffs that near MS.

It's quite obvious that both drivers are allowed to race 'as long as it is sensible', RB didn't take un-needed risk, and MS didn't make it difficult in his defending drive (watch the race - MS only took the normal racing line and left plenty of room).

On the otherhand, we want Ferrari to let their drivers race without orders, yet complain when MS/Ferrari didn't "let RB through".. ? :confused:

It's simply a great performance from Ferrari who convincingly beat their rival's best efforts. Celebrate it
Old 13 Jun 2004, 18:34 (Ref:1002756)   #27
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh come on it was plane to see that RB had a far quicker car
Old 13 Jun 2004, 18:37 (Ref:1002761)   #28
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Difficult to say.

Michael could've gone quicker if he needed to, and Rubens was the one who had an off, not him.
Old 13 Jun 2004, 18:39 (Ref:1002763)   #29
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
but at the end Ferrari did win!!! it didnt compromise the team....

AFter the race Rubens's excitment i think he generally was happy for MS and not angry about Ferrari not releasing him...
Old 13 Jun 2004, 18:40 (Ref:1002764)   #30
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, NOBODY denied RB had a faster car.

But at a time when critics complain how Ferrari should do away with team orders, isn't it strange that the same people complain that RB isn't "waved by"?

If Ferrari had ordered RB to stick behind MS, RB won't have been allowed to do what he did all over the arse of MS. And it's pretty plane obvious that both drivers were careful in their mini-contest.

In the race, i was also questioning why no orders were given (or rather, i was expecting RB to be waved by) for RB to be given a clear run...but after the 2nd round of pitstops, it's quite obvious to us that who ever was ahead before the last pitstop would have won the race, and it would be strange if Ferrari indeed intervene and dictate the race winner at that point where both drivers are close and had a fair chance.

In any case, both drivers are impressive today and whoever wins, he's a deserved winner.

Last edited by Gt_R; 13 Jun 2004 at 18:41.
Old 13 Jun 2004, 18:40 (Ref:1002766)   #31
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Dutch chap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Phoenix1
Any news on Jordan mechanic?
According to dutch TV the mechanic is fine, just some bruises on his hands.
Old 13 Jun 2004, 18:40 (Ref:1002767)   #32
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rather boring race despite the result being a surprise (you'd never that to say that with a TGF win....)

Ralf was good, Rubens good, the rest pretty much nowhere. Button was a disappointment.

My driver of the race - Fisichella. More points for the Sauber driver in 6th. He's making a habit of this!
Old 13 Jun 2004, 18:41 (Ref:1002770)   #33
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
and besides isnt team orders something we cursed at the start
Old 13 Jun 2004, 18:42 (Ref:1002772)   #34
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Dutch chap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Congrats to mr. Brawn. It was great (again) to see him handling his puppet. No need to let your puppet do any overtaking. It can all be done on strategy.
Old 13 Jun 2004, 18:45 (Ref:1002774)   #35
Gt_R
Veteran

Looking at the driver MS had been close enough to overtake, i actually think it's wise that MS keeps a distance and wait

Of course, not forgetting that RB overtook Kimi, and besides that, there are few overtaking moves among the top drivers... all are puppets maybe ?
Old 13 Jun 2004, 18:45 (Ref:1002775)   #36
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Great drive by Rubens... by far the driver of the race. Pity he was blocked by TGF for quite a few laps otherwise he would've definitely won or finished second.

Ralf drove a good and sensible race as well. This must be a big relief and couldnt have come at a better time for him.

I was a bit disappointed by BAR. Sato's engine blew up again and overall they didnt have the pace for a podium finish.
Old 13 Jun 2004, 18:49 (Ref:1002779)   #37
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
hhmm...

the race could have been better.
i was excited after qualifying when Ferrari were only 6th and 7th.

I thought that would mean:
a) an unexpected (= non-Ferrari) win
b) a great race with actual overtaking.

And what did we get?
Ferrari wins.
Was there actually ANY overtaking on track?

I am slightly disappointed...
Old 13 Jun 2004, 18:52 (Ref:1002783)   #38
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
I thing that RB had the car and also the right stragety to win the gp.....as i say a complete joke
Old 13 Jun 2004, 19:37 (Ref:1002821)   #39
KaiserSose
Rookie

United States
Olympia, WA
KaiserSose should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh, waaaa!

So Rubens is gonna pass MS for postition, when passing for position was virtually unseen in this race?

It would have taken a brazen move, surely not something a team wants to see happen between team-mates. I guess they could play the Ralf and Juan game and take each other off the track.

Both Ferraris had the right car and strategy to win the race. I guess Rubens just didn't have the grid postiion to get the P1 finish........he could have had P2 if not for the late race bobble. Now if Rubens DID outqualify MS, and Ferrari engineered a tactic to swap his position with MS, THEN you folks would have a good reason to whine.

As it stands, I guess having a good reason is no prerequisite.
Old 13 Jun 2004, 19:41 (Ref:1002826)   #40
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm amazed at the number of people who think Rubens should've won the race.

Can't see it, really.
Old 13 Jun 2004, 19:54 (Ref:1002839)   #41
Gt_R
Veteran

KB, actually i could.

It's quite simple, if RB had managed to get pass MS and pull a small gap, he could have easily came out ahead of MS after their last pits (ahead of JPM/Button).

Unfortunately, RB didnt get pass and it's because both drivers were sensible and mature enough to fight in a controlled manner without risking each other's race.

And the final nail is the off he had where he ran wide... Still a good drive from Rubens, one of the more convincing performance this year
Old 14 Jun 2004, 01:29 (Ref:1003043)   #42
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michael Schumacher:- "With Rubens, obviously, it was a lot more critical had he overtaken me and pulled out a gap, although I had a lot more fuel on board to stay out longer. Knowing that, who knows what would have worked out? We had a hard fight, it was very tight into the last corner but I just managed to keep in front."

Considering that Michael had more fuel on board, he would have been able to run longer and put in some of those famous quick laps that he is known for. So I don't think that if he had let Rubens through that Rubens would have been able to 'easily' come out ahead of Michael. Though it was nice to see Ferrari not playing the team orders game, I do find it somewhat ironic that when they don't employ 'team orders' that it works against Rubens. If the roles were reversed whatever would they have done?
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 14 Jun 2004, 01:48 (Ref:1003047)   #43
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the roles were reversed Rubans would have been ordered to give way by making a stupid mistake to hide the fact.
Time Mosley stopped try to change the rules and started to enforce the ones that are there.
Oh sorry they don't apply to Ferrari/MS.

The Grumpy1

Last edited by grumpy1; 14 Jun 2004 at 01:50.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 07:07 (Ref:1003159)   #44
Gt_R
Veteran

Well well...FIA enforced the rules and guess who were caught?
Old 14 Jun 2004, 07:07 (Ref:1003160)   #45
Gt_R
Veteran

Well well...FIA enforced the rules and guess who were caught?
Old 14 Jun 2004, 08:55 (Ref:1003220)   #46
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gert
hhmm...

the race could have been better.
i was excited after qualifying when Ferrari were only 6th and 7th.

I thought that would mean:
a) an unexpected (= non-Ferrari) win
b) a great race with actual overtaking.
How come could you predict somethign like that?
a) After MS stunning 1st free session, it was largely expectable that such a gap in quals be down to fuel strategy.
b) Canada GP has never been, at least in the latest years, an overtaking race; this yea we have had one real overtake (Rubens on Kimi), one more than lastyear, probably.

On the ocntray, what I said about the importance of finding the best tactics has been confirmed.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 11:43 (Ref:1003420)   #47
Kicking-back
Veteran

In a way, the race was exciting, because the winner was not who many expected it to be after qualifying.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 12:55 (Ref:1003535)   #48
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
I had an idea Michael would have won the race. In qualifying he had a good clean lap but was over a second of the pace so it was clear to see that they where trying something different. There is not another team on the grid at the moment that can match ferrari for race pace. All he had to do was stay in touch with the front pack and somewhere along the way he would jump them all. Rubens had a lighter fuel load but in qualifying made a mistake on his lap which put him behind Michael. It was easy to see that Rubens was armed with the better strategy and was being held up by Michael lap after lap which is a pitty cause Rubens had the right strategy to win the race and i think ferrari knew that. I guess they thought it better to keep rubens behind Michael rather tan trying to get Michael passed rubens later on in the race
Old 14 Jun 2004, 22:36 (Ref:1004124)   #49
f1atic
Racer

f1atic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by knowlesy
Here lies the stupidity of Ferrari team orders....let Rubens go!
Some would argue that to be proof of a 'let'em race' with no team orders stance.

Any way one looks at it though, Rubens was quicker for a time and it probably would not have affected Michael's result to let him run those last few laps before the pit stop a little quicker. Michael was holding him up a bit and it actually cost him second (regardless of the Williams screwup).
Old 14 Jun 2004, 22:43 (Ref:1004129)   #50
BIGMOUTH
Racer

BIGMOUTH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hate Ferrari and the way they don't let their drivers race! Come on - does Schuey really need those two extra points that he got from finishing 1st as opposed to 2nd?? I think not!!!