Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 22 Jun 2004, 21:20 (Ref:1012631)   #26
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
The Vitaphone car has a decent line-up; likewise the GPC Ferraris. Now, if Ray Mallock would just run Erdos/Goodwin and Ramos/Newton, we'd be laughing.
Old 22 Jun 2004, 21:58 (Ref:1012667)   #27
jim69
Racer

jim69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does Ray Mallock have any say in the driver line up? Especially as one of the drivers owns both cars and a good share in RML.
Old 22 Jun 2004, 23:11 (Ref:1012720)   #28
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Mike Newton owns some of RML? That, I didn't know.
Old 22 Jun 2004, 23:12 (Ref:1012723)   #29
19dodge
Veteran

19dodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When i saw that Paul Knapfield on the entry list for Konrad, i had a fit. but then, i thought about it some more. Paul is a pay driver. Yes.. but he is pretty experienced. He has driven for lister for years now.. IMO, i think its better for konrad to put him in, rather than put someone in that doesnt have any kind of racing experience. Look at Brno, The Lineup was: Konrad/Becker/Seiler. They finished 6th. not too bad. And Harold Becker was the guy who was slowing them down. Toni and Franz were the fastest. hopefully this is a one race deal only (since the race is in the UK and Paul is British) and it will be Walter and Toni for the rest of the season (so Walter can do 2 stints)
what Konrad should do is hire Robert Lechner. I heard that he brings in some sort of money to JMB. (the CHAMP sponsorship) And as of now, it looks like he left JMB. it would be great to have Robert and Walter on the same team!

getting back to the RML deal. Mike Newton owns the cars. He also owns a share of RML. If it wasnt for Mike, there would be no team right now. But someone needs to show him that getting 2 pro drivers in the car will make that car win races. Look at Hockineim. Barbosa and Goodwin were set for a podium, until they had brake problems. Thats what Konrad does (in a way).. Have one pro car (vitaphone) and the other with pay driver(s) (except konrad has Walter Lechner).. That team will never have good results with a bad driver pairing. But hey, its better for them to be out there racing, rather than having 2 fewer cars on the grid.
Old 22 Jun 2004, 23:52 (Ref:1012753)   #30
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It looks like Friday, Saturday and Sunday in particular will have great weather as well.

Always makes the viewing experience better!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=1653

Last edited by JAG; 22 Jun 2004 at 23:52.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 20:43 (Ref:1013840)   #31
jim69
Racer

Mike is no fool, he is one of the most clever men i have ever met. Self made. However he drives because he loves it. If two pro drivers were to come along with the budget to race the second car I am sure they would be in it. I do not however think that Mike would fund a second car from his own pocket.
RML should be able to sell themselves to a pair of pro drivers.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 21:31 (Ref:1013907)   #32
19dodge
Veteran

19dodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
but when its like 500,000 euros for the season, thats tough for a pro driver. a pro driver usually doesnt bring sponsors. they get hired and get paid on a team. they dont want to be driving for free (or finding a sponsor to pay for the ride).. I understand the situation Mike is in. Like i said before, its great that they are out there. Its a lot better than nothing at all. Its just people keep on asking "why doesnt RML put the 2 pro drivers in one car" and i keep on trying to answer. Now, if the FIA GT had the British GT or French GT system of Gentlemen drivers (you cannot have 2 pro drivers in the car, if you do, you get like a 40 sec longer pit stop), it would be a diffrent story. But FIA GT is the bigtimes i guess.

If Mike keeps on getting better (and he has been, compared to last year) the team will get better finishes. Overall, i think the Nr 7 team has had some bad luck, with mechincal problems at almost every race. The Nr 8 team has had better finishes, but not by much. Overall, it seems like RML has little problems.. hope they can work them out. They seemed to be very fast at Brno!
Old 24 Jun 2004, 00:27 (Ref:1014052)   #33
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a Morgan or two would be nice, and another Lister.... but I'm still going!
Old 24 Jun 2004, 06:42 (Ref:1014186)   #34
jim69
Racer

I agree with you 19dodge Mike has improved in leaps and bounds. He has a great mentor in Tommy. His transition from FF1600 to GT cars is exceptional for a non pro driver. I think the term Gentleman driver is a bit unfair in this case as he can hold his own and has put in some good times. I aslo know he hates this term.
I am looking forward to Sundays race, as I will be marshaling in the pits, and be able to see whats going on up close.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 09:14 (Ref:1014311)   #35
jcz
Rookie

jcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read on Lister forum page answers from Lister side:
Italian Lister will not race in Donington - change in mind and concentrate on Italian GT series
Factory Lister will not race in Donington too - without explain, this look as no drivers, no money...
I think this look as end of factory Lister Storm GT car in this year FIA GT and maybe in future. No drivers. What is pity.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 12:22 (Ref:1014510)   #36
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by jcz
I read on Lister forum page answers from Lister side:
Italian Lister will not race in Donington - change in mind and concentrate on Italian GT series
Factory Lister will not race in Donington too - without explain, this look as no drivers, no money...
I think this look as end of factory Lister Storm GT car in this year FIA GT and maybe in future. No drivers. What is pity.
According to DSC, the Lister is out due to lack of 'suitable' drivers, as you suggested- apparently a last-minute deal to try and put Deletraz and Piccini (no Lamborghini at Donington either, of course- apparently the car Reiter ran earlier this year may have been sold to Japan...) in the Storm didn't work out....

Lister really aren't having a good season- I can't help wondering whether they'd be better served giving up on FIA GT for this year, and concentrating on the LMP project for the remaining LMES races.....

Last edited by KA; 24 Jun 2004 at 12:25.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 16:07 (Ref:1014755)   #37
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
If Lister can their GT effort this year, I can't see them coming back, at least not without a new car. The Storm is too old now, and when Maserati and Aston Martin take to the track, it'll start to look positively antediluvian. I always thought it was a shame that there weren't more customer Storms in the FIA series, but I think we'll have to look to a new car from Mr Pearce some time in the future.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 17:20 (Ref:1014863)   #38
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
there will definately not be any new Lister GT car, without manufactuer backing.

Lister should concentrate on the LMP1 car now.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 23:06 (Ref:1015352)   #39
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Please note that we haven't seen the full potential of the 2004 car yet. According to Tom Coronel that one is a massive bit faster then the old one. If only they could find some fast drivers for it.
Old 25 Jun 2004, 13:40 (Ref:1015889)   #40
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Times from the 1st session today can be seen here http://www.mst-group.co.uk/singleses...nd=round06.gif it looks as if the TVR's have done really well only 3 seconds behind the class leading Porsche's.
Old 25 Jun 2004, 16:12 (Ref:1016067)   #41
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The times for the 2nd Session are now in:- http://www.mst-group.co.uk/singleses...nd=round06.gif those TVR's are there or there abouts again, oh and the British Ferrai 360 was in quickest in N-GT too, in fact they have done that in both sessions.

Last edited by rdjones; 25 Jun 2004 at 16:13.
Old 25 Jun 2004, 17:20 (Ref:1016129)   #42
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by rdjones
The times for the 2nd Session are now in:- http://www.mst-group.co.uk/singleses...nd=round06.gif those TVR's are there or there abouts again, oh and the British Ferrai 360 was in quickest in N-GT too, in fact they have done that in both sessions.
The TVRs aren't listed on those timings as N-GT, but as 'SP2' - sounds as if they're not currently N-GT legal, and are running under some kind of dispensation?
Old 25 Jun 2004, 17:34 (Ref:1016141)   #43
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Homologation isn't completed yet, so FIA lets them run under the Spa Invitation class. SP1 = Spa GT, SP2 = Spa NGT (as far as I know, correct?)
Old 25 Jun 2004, 18:20 (Ref:1016166)   #44
simon c
Racer

simon c should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bramzel
Please note that we haven't seen the full potential of the 2004 car yet. According to Tom Coronel that one is a massive bit faster then the old one. If only they could find some fast drivers for it.
let's hope so, and let's hope black beauty will be at spa.

does anybody out there with connections know if laurence and co. will be contesting the 24 hours???
Old 25 Jun 2004, 21:28 (Ref:1016352)   #45
PRF
Racer

PRF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Saleen sure seems to be well suited to Donington Park. Great effort in Paractice 2 for both RML Saleens and the Nash Saleen. I guess David Leslie posted their time?
Old 26 Jun 2004, 00:35 (Ref:1016461)   #46
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Ruberti is fast as well, might be him as well. Surely impressive though, all Saleens within the top 8 (despite the fact that 2 BMS's didn't run in the 2nd training). Quite promising for tomorrow!
Old 26 Jun 2004, 15:32 (Ref:1016772)   #47
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
First Qualifying has taken place for tomorrow and the times can be found here:- http://www.mst-group.co.uk/singleses...nd=round06.gif
Old 26 Jun 2004, 15:54 (Ref:1016785)   #48
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
The Vitaphone Saleen lost its times for overtaking under yellow.
Old 26 Jun 2004, 15:56 (Ref:1016786)   #49
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
The 2nd session is underway at present, having just watched the FRV6 race on Eurosport I can comfirm it is very wet at Donington today.
Old 26 Jun 2004, 18:09 (Ref:1016846)   #50
Duffacus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
Duffacus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would indeed say very wet!!!
Attached Thumbnails
wet.jpg  

Brundle: Didn’t see too many in practice