Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Nov 2004, 07:47 (Ref:1163498)   #26
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by alesi95
I was refering to the sacking of the people with motorsport knowledge and experience and replacing them with the "suits"
I think we are being a little harsh on Honda. Their motorsport knowledge and commitment to winning probably exceeds any other mass market manufacturer in history. Remember 1985 - 1992?

Also, Richards wasn't 'sacked'. It would be difficult for Honda to employ someone who was also working on high profile motorsport projects for Ford and Subaru at the same time.
Old 25 Nov 2004, 10:30 (Ref:1163641)   #27
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by StickShift
It's a bit of a non-story. Davidson had no chance of getting the seat.

Why would Williams bother to test him do you suppose?

just for Fun?
Old 25 Nov 2004, 10:47 (Ref:1163658)   #28
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm surprised no one has come in here and tried to blame David Richards for Honda's decision, considering the hatred he recieves from some on these forums.

Honda have made a commitment towrds their future - and in essence towards Ant's. They're here to win in F1, and they've played it by the book in virtually every championship they've entered, unlike a certain other manufacturer. Ultimately though, if they felt they would lose too much (or Williams would gain too much) by loaning Ant out, they've made the right decision.
Old 25 Nov 2004, 12:29 (Ref:1163743)   #29
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was surprised when BAR cnsidered loaning Ant out in the first place - it doesn't seem to make any sense for them. Judgin by his Friday efforts he is of at least sme use in terms of testing and devleopment, and he could feasilbly be the fastest of the available drivers for Williams. This could be the first really beneficial decision made since Honda furthered their investment.
Old 25 Nov 2004, 13:14 (Ref:1163781)   #30
ActiveMS
Racer

ActiveMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are some media reports that AD's management team are attempting to salvage some kind of test agreement.

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=31642

Could there still be some buttongate discussions going on in the background somewhere too? As it sounds like AD is stuck in the middle of something bigger.......dont you think?
Old 25 Nov 2004, 13:20 (Ref:1163788)   #31
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ah - it explains the Williams position in that story:

"A team source said: "The only requirement we placed on the test was that if Davidson performed well and got a race seat for '05 we would have liked an option to retain his services as a race driver for 2006 - if BAR were unable to offer him a race seat.

"We made no other contractual demands."

So all Williams want is second shout over his services for 2006 - doesn't seem unreasonable to me, but of course DR and BAR are trying to make it sound that way - never miss a chance for having a dig at the opposition.
Old 25 Nov 2004, 14:06 (Ref:1163867)   #32
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Glen
if BAR were unable to offer him a race seat.
This is only likely to happen if Button doesn't go to Williams in 2006. I suspect a lot rides on Jenson in all this.
Old 25 Nov 2004, 14:12 (Ref:1163873)   #33
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Or if Ant didn't do very well in 2005, in the opinion of BAR. Or if BAR find someone else, other than Jenson or Ant. Or if there were another contractual wrangle, such as BAR continuing to try and get out of paying performance bonuses. Could be loads of reasons - either way it boils down to a pretty reasonable standpoint on the part or Williams.. if you don't want Ant for 2006, can we have him?
Old 25 Nov 2004, 14:20 (Ref:1163891)   #34
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
But then where does this leave Jenson? i thought Jenson was sure to go to Williams in 2006

Last edited by ralf fan; 25 Nov 2004 at 14:22.
Old 25 Nov 2004, 14:25 (Ref:1163898)   #35
Glen
Veteran

A lot can happen in a year. Jenson might get a call from Ferrari, for example. JB might win the WDC with BAR in 2005. BMW could pull out of F1. Ant might turn out to be better than Jenson. Webber might be so incredibly good that Williams don't need or can't afford JB.
Old 25 Nov 2004, 14:48 (Ref:1163929)   #36
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
ofcourse it could also be.. Ant doesnot live up the hype and WIlliams regret not fighting for Jenson for 05...

with all the data these guys have on every driver sometimes choosing a driver can go down to a simple game of ini mini miny mo...
Old 25 Nov 2004, 14:53 (Ref:1163938)   #37
Glen
Veteran

I bet Williams would be panicking if they had, say, Ant or NH signed but were still looking for their number one driver. No matter what the rhetoric, it seems clear to me that Williams are not backing up their usual stated position of no clear number one driver with a serious recruitment drive to find an equal to Webber.
Old 26 Nov 2004, 20:51 (Ref:1165166)   #38
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Im back!...ole Rennen has been waiting a week for his new PC to be built...I was wondering how all you guys percieved this business!

Let me put you straight if I may...It wasn't Honda who blocked the test, it was B.A.R, well the new B.A.R guys running the ship after DR. DR bless-im had made it possible for Ant to have a shot at the Willy test...Williams are old hands at this game, they saw how important Ant was to BAR in the development of 006 (even if BAR have kept that a bit quiet) and they also noticed he could peddle it a bit quick (even on tracks hed never seen before) So they wrote a contract to secure his services before he tested. B.A.R's designer Geof Willis (ex team Willy) knows FW and was quick to block DR's kind (to Ant) gesture. Truth is Willis 006 'points in the right direction'... cos Ant pointed it in the right direction!

FW is no ones fool hes got 3 seats to fill...1 race, 2 testing...Heidfeld is going to fill one test seat mark my words...and the other...well if Ant had an exceptional test he would have got the race seat...well that was the carrot to lure him to test!...think about it...if he signed Pizzonia to the race seat, why would Ant or Heidfeld bother to test!...Pizzonia knows hes a shoe in.

Button is the key to all this, I'm one of the few who knows for a fact AD is a better racer than JB...problem is whilst those involved in F1 know their business, cars and politics, they ain't too clued up on the background or potential of the guys behind the wheel!

Had Button gone to Williams 'WE' would have been in for a treat with AD in the BAR! Ant burns with a passion to beat his old karting rival (again)...believe me being JBs understudy, getting his car right is done thru gritted teeth...but hes a pro' so does it with a decieving smile! Dont get me wrong Ant's a team player...but ALL other drivers are his foes.

Interesting how some of you have interpreted the PR statements fed to the media...what else have you got to go on? I cant blame you...but it is misleading. Honda want Anthony as it happens...but 3 into 2 dont go! Do it!

Last edited by Rennen; 26 Nov 2004 at 21:00.
Old 26 Nov 2004, 21:47 (Ref:1165217)   #39
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Where is every one tonite!?
Old 26 Nov 2004, 22:28 (Ref:1165249)   #40
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
As Rennen's post says, Ant is faster than Jenson, and has better development skill than Jenson, despite being much less experienced. As Rennen's post says, BAR only did well because Ant was there. As Rennen's post says, BAR-Honda only have 2 seats available, so they must be stupid to leave the best driver on the sidelines. In fact Rennen's post reads as if it has a slightpro-Ant bias, for some reason.
Old 27 Nov 2004, 01:29 (Ref:1165337)   #41
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally posted by Rennen

Button is the key to all this, I'm one of the few who knows for a fact AD is a better racer than JB...
So why the hell didn't you tell Frank? hrug:
Old 27 Nov 2004, 03:17 (Ref:1165363)   #42
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Where is every one tonite!?
they are all busy testing for minardi
Old 27 Nov 2004, 14:16 (Ref:1165647)   #43
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm one of the few who knows for a fact AD is a better racer than JB...
No you don't know that for a fact at all. You know AD beat JB when they were in lower divisions, and you know AD is a very good test driver and possibly just as good a racer.

The "fact" is that JB has been racing at the sharp end for a good few years now and AD hasn't. In the fullness of time he may well be a better racer, but at this point he isn't, or he would be in a car racing by now. also, please don't start quoting lap times from 5 year old F3 races at me either.
Old 28 Nov 2004, 00:03 (Ref:1165920)   #44
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Mr Jinxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Being a racer doesn't count for that much, I suspect. Being a better driver, a better development driver, being more media-friendly, etc etc, counts for so much more.

JB is very very fast. Smooth, int the Prost/Stewart way. JB is very media friendly. He is appealing to look at. Sadly, I think Anthony is possibly the more feisty racer, but that doesn't seem to fit the bill in F1 these days.
Sit in a chair, lift your right leg off the ground, point your toes forward and draw CLOCKWISE circles in the air with your foot. Then raise your right hand and draw the number 6 in the air with your index finger. Your foot will change direction. If you can't even do this simple coordination task, how could you drive a racing car?
Old 28 Nov 2004, 22:25 (Ref:1166598)   #45
manwell
Racer

manwell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=22970

Its announced on Pitpass that the dispute between Williams and BAR over Davidson has been resolved and he will test for Williams, although neither BAR or Williams has confirmed an agreement.
Old 29 Nov 2004, 04:39 (Ref:1166725)   #46
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by manwell
http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=22970

Its announced on Pitpass that the dispute between Williams and BAR over Davidson has been resolved and he will test for Williams, although neither BAR or Williams has confirmed an agreement.
I really hope the Ant will get his chance to race for Williams next year.

I saw this guy at Albert Park earlier this year, and he was fast and smooth from the moment he got out onto the track. He was very smooth through Clark, put the power on early ( I could see by taking a line on the advert hoardings on the other side of the fence) and of course his times would have been the envy of most of the other drivers out on the track.

There you are Rennen, you can tell Frank that Valve Bounce reckons the Ant was truly sick through that corner.
Old 29 Nov 2004, 11:04 (Ref:1166931)   #47
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
I really hope the Ant will get his chance to race for Williams next year.

I saw this guy at Albert Park earlier this year, and he was fast and smooth from the moment he got out onto the track. He was very smooth through Clark, put the power on early ( I could see by taking a line on the advert hoardings on the other side of the fence) and of course his times would have been the envy of most of the other drivers out on the track.

There you are Rennen, you can tell Frank that Valve Bounce reckons the Ant was truly sick through that corner.
Yeah...I'm here valve!..."Truly Sick"!!!!...is that some sort of Ozz buzz for Slick or Quick!?? Hahaha
Me!...tell Frank!...How I'd love to bash his ear mate!...No dads arn't allowed anywhere near these important men...damn it!...and me an old soldier who ran Ant' in over 1,000 races...do people realise how frustrated I am....! at this moment...AHHHHHHHHHHHHH thump!

(picks himself up) Nah his managers tell me very little, Ant hardly much more. It's not about 'Speed' Valve ole mate...Ants such an adaptable driver...hes done too good a job as a R&D tester, so hes only percieved as a tester damn it!...Williams need an ACE test driver more than they need a 2nd Grand Prix star (in my humble opinion)

Last edited by Rennen; 29 Nov 2004 at 11:11.
Old 29 Nov 2004, 11:20 (Ref:1166943)   #48
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Truly sick means something like sensational, I think. I do hope the Ant get's his test in teh Williams next month, and hope he's truly sick. I don't know where it came from - you'll have to ask Ian Thorpe.
Old 29 Nov 2004, 11:26 (Ref:1166950)   #49
davebreen
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
davebreen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
I don't know where it came from - you'll have to ask Ian Thorpe.
Check it out here - could be one of many meanings
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sick

"1. sick

1)crazy, cool, insane

5. Sick

1. awesome, extremely fresh, etc."
Old 29 Nov 2004, 11:46 (Ref:1166959)   #50
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hate Yoofspeak - what's wrong with any of the existing expressions that mean the same thing? James Allen's phrasebook isn't quite as bad.

But anyway.

I wonder what the specifics of what BAR and Williams have re-negotiated are? Would Williams still be committed to giving him back after 2005 no matter what?