Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 19 Dec 2004, 22:59 (Ref:1183471)   #26
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mercedes and Opel are both quitting the DTM after 2005, and the World Touring Car Championship is sure to be hugely popular, especially with so many new manufacturers, so I can see it not being a good place to be long-term. If the cars really are simialr to drive to ChampCars (and they could be, although I'm sure the different power:weight ratio and lower ability to withstand contact makes them somewhat different) then Albers would be advised to take any ChampCar chance he does get.
Old 19 Dec 2004, 23:03 (Ref:1183473)   #27
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really hope Trust decided to bring ONE of their drivers to Champcar next year, not least because the livery knocked up for the Albers test could be added to the "super-cool" liveries pile, which gets bigger and bigger by the month it seems!
Old 20 Dec 2004, 02:03 (Ref:1183545)   #28
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Mercedes and Opel are both quitting the DTM after 2005, and the World Touring Car Championship is sure to be hugely popular, especially with so many new manufacturers, so I can see it not being a good place to be long-term. If the cars really are simialr to drive to ChampCars (and they could be, although I'm sure the different power:weight ratio and lower ability to withstand contact makes them somewhat different) then Albers would be advised to take any ChampCar chance he does get.
Since when is Mercedes quitting the DTM after this season? Thats news to me.
Old 20 Dec 2004, 06:28 (Ref:1183614)   #29
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indeed.

Opel is quitting, but Rover is coming in for 2005.

The DTM will continue with at least three manufacturers in 2006.
Old 20 Dec 2004, 07:34 (Ref:1183634)   #30
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
Marshall tested Mazzacane's Dale Coyne car ..... not the Walker one.

Did a very impressive job too, by the sounds of it.

thats right, my mistake it would be awesome if marcus got the 2nd coyne drive
Old 20 Dec 2004, 07:44 (Ref:1183637)   #31
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think Marcus is quite ready for it yet.

He was a backmarker in British F3 this year - save for a good-tyre-choice-in-tricky-conditions win.
Old 20 Dec 2004, 10:38 (Ref:1183779)   #32
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
plus, i couldnt imagine him having the necessary budget to run british f3, let alone champcar...
Old 20 Dec 2004, 12:20 (Ref:1183855)   #33
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unless Servia can get a decent ride somewhere else, it'd be a real shame if he was replaced by a funded newcomer, especially one who's nowhere near ready.

As for Verstappen, I just don't think he can improve beyond his current elvel, and he wouldn't be around for that much longer. He can't add anything to the championship in terms of abilitiy or marketing potential, and would just increase the perception of ChampCars being for guys who couldn't succeed in F1.
Old 20 Dec 2004, 12:34 (Ref:1183869)   #34
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Indeed.

Opel is quitting, but Rover is coming in for 2005.

The DTM will continue with at least three manufacturers in 2006.
Rover aka MG?
Old 20 Dec 2004, 12:36 (Ref:1183872)   #35
Kicking-back
Veteran

The very same.
Old 20 Dec 2004, 12:38 (Ref:1183875)   #36
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by N I Tram
Unless Servia can get a decent ride somewhere else, it'd be a real shame if he was replaced by a funded newcomer, especially one who's nowhere near ready.

As for Verstappen, I just don't think he can improve beyond his current elvel, and he wouldn't be around for that much longer. He can't add anything to the championship in terms of abilitiy or marketing potential, and would just increase the perception of ChampCars being for guys who couldn't succeed in F1.
Back to Champ Cars

Well for Champ Cars to gain more stars, the series needs young and up and comming talent and vertrans who are still competitive, but I doubt Jos would bost the series, but Salo would be good.
Old 20 Dec 2004, 15:31 (Ref:1184037)   #37
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Some drivers who would already be known to the North American market would be ideal - anyopne coming in from elsewhere really needs to have a lot of potential, or bring funding that creates an extra entry rather than removing one from someone else, to actually be of benefit to the series.
Old 20 Dec 2004, 15:35 (Ref:1184042)   #38
Kicking-back
Veteran

Salo has retired from single-seaters and is quite happy at Maserati
Old 20 Dec 2004, 21:53 (Ref:1184405)   #39
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Marcus tested extremely well for Coyne, apparently running consistently quick times and was quicker than Valiante. He had no access to new tyres either.

The only chance he has at Coyne is if DC decides to run 3 cars or Servia finds a better ride. Mazzacane is signed, sealed and delivered (but still hopeless).

Also, Marcus would need to find cash from somewhere ........

I know a certain owner of the series (who just happens to be Australian) has long desired a driver from his home country .....
Old 21 Dec 2004, 09:35 (Ref:1184771)   #40
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
josh hunt, no chance - another season in atlantics would be good - kk should push for james courtney to get in the series
Old 21 Dec 2004, 10:45 (Ref:1184846)   #41
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You will more than likely find that Marcus Marshall will run the 2nd Reynard at Walker in 2005....
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 21 Dec 2004, 12:27 (Ref:1184912)   #42
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
^ What second Reynard Derrick Walker should have two Lola chassis under his Xmas tree come this Saturday morning.