Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Feb 2001, 01:35 (Ref:64644)   #26
Diabando
Veteran

Australia
Victoria, Australia
Diabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDiabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tim - you have started a thread on a subject that has been bugging me for some time.

Unlike many of the people here, I have never registered with or contributed to other motorsport forum sites. I guess I landed on the right one, first time. When I first came here, I enjoyed the banter and general atmosphere of the F1 section of this forum site, and over time, began to read the other sections such as Gravel Trap, Touring Cars etc.

Unfortunately, over the last season, my visits to this F1 section have deliberatly become very limited, and I find myself avioding it, preferring to spend my time in the more amicable forums provided by this site.

Last year, it seemed that you could pick any number of topics that APPEARED interesting, only to find that after the first few posts, they were reduced to the same hostile drivel in every other topic...outrageous conspiracy theories, which any sane person would consider ludicrous, along with slandering drivers and a continuous prepensity to cut down anyone who doesnt conform with the views of the majority in here.

I, for one, do not want to see this forum reduced to the level of other sites such as Atlas, so how about thinking before you post? Are you interested in talking about F1 and sharing informative topics/views, or do you want to whinge about it?

Come on - lets start the season off on the right foot this year, and look forward to a championship which is sure to be riveting!
Old 14 Feb 2001, 01:45 (Ref:64646)   #27
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Well, we can suggest that those who feel the need can start insulting the tyre that their team does not support. That shoudl get rid of all the pent up frustrations.
I regard drivers as highly gifted performers who entertain us on the motor racing circuit. Like all other forms of entertainment, the ones at the top are highly skilled and the risks they take are serious - so I just look on the positive side of their efforts. GO Mazza Wouldn't it be funny if he got ahead of Mika again, and Murray starts to panic.
Old 14 Feb 2001, 18:59 (Ref:64741)   #28
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't have much to add except for "thank you" to everyone who has posted.
Tim has once again raised a valid point and I agree with it whole heartedly. Ultimately, I doubt that any of us could even imagine doing with a car what the tail end of the grid accomplishes every two weeks. I hasve infinite respect for the abilities of the men who drive those cars. Unfortunately, they do not always behave nobly, but then, who does?

Tim when you said...I can't really remember the last time someone said something startling at a post-race press conference. , I'm assuming you were not thinking of Monza last season, an event which reminded me of the humanity of a man for whom I previously had little regard.

Diabando, I agree with much of what you said, there are times I don't want to visit this Forum either!! However, we as moderators have to make the choice between imposing our points of view or allowing reasonably free conversation. I admit that I defer on the side of a Laissez-faire attitude(though some of you may beg to differ).

I think it is better to uphold the driver you support than to denigrate his opponents; that's the ideal we strive to meet, and I think most of the time we accomplish it.

Old 14 Feb 2001, 23:15 (Ref:64804)   #29
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you Tim, for an excellent topic.

Personally, sometimes I'm getting really sick of all the driver bashing.
It may seem to come with the territory, but it does not!

Unless someone had a personal encounter with any of the drivers, I think that you should keep those thoughts to yourself.
And even if you have met a driver, and had a 'bad' expierence, it's only a 'moment' in the life of another human being. It doesn't mean that's the way they are. We all have our off-days.

They've never done anything to deserve the criticism they recieve.
Remember that a great part of the 'image' a driver has, comes from the media.
The media has the power to make someone a 'good boy' or a 'bad boy.'
And sometimes they use this power to add some juice to a story.

Although I understand it when someone is sticking up for his/her favourite driver, bashing another one is childish.

I too have met a lot of Formula One drivers in the past 40 years since I'm a follower of the sport. Not just the greats like Jimmy Clark, Graham Hill, James Hunt or Jack Brabham but also those who's names might not ring the proverbial bell, Innes Ireland, Giovanni Galli, Arturo Merzario or Tim Schenken.
And it is my opinion that anyone willing to risk life and livelihood for love of their sport and our entertainment, should be treated with the utmost respect.

Let's use our common sense and not behave like easily manipulated puppets.
Whenever you feel like driver bashing, take a couple of minutes and imagine how you would feel if I were writing about you this way.

This forum stands out on the Internet because of the civilized way people treat each other. How many times haven't we heard new members say they like the 10 Tenths forum because of it's friendly character.
It's the biggest compliment they can give to us who are involved with the site.

Let's keep it that way, my friends.
Old 14 Feb 2001, 23:37 (Ref:64811)   #30
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Gerard,

I agree with your post completly. I too detest the *****ing that goes on. You used to be able to see the drivers up close, nowdays it is from behind mesh fencing, a lot of this is because of the invaision of privacy from media and fans.

Does it matter what a drivers race, religion or dress code has to do with going fast ? As long as the back end is hanging out and the front on the limit, who cares.

Going on from there, it is often the lesser drivers / teams that make racing possible.

Simon.
Old 15 Feb 2001, 05:43 (Ref:64841)   #31
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Gerard, maybe you could send an e-mail to all new comers welcoming them to our friendly, abuse and insult free forum. I normally do this when I see newcomers, but I sometimes miss a few.
Old 15 Feb 2001, 09:16 (Ref:64846)   #32
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree completely with what has been said on this thread. 10 Tenths is the only motorsport related forum at which I post, and the reason I've stayed here is the friendly atmosphere. Let's keep it that way.

I'm in awe about what Hans and SL have experienced. Please, do write in the newsletter, I'd love to read more of what you can tell us!
Old 15 Feb 2001, 15:07 (Ref:64882)   #33
Hans.ca
Racer

Hans.ca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gerard re. your post above. All I can say is amen.

PS. I'm working on getting some of my personal experiences writen up and into the news letter.
Old 16 Feb 2001, 00:28 (Ref:64991)   #34
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Valve Bounce, I am actually writing welcome messages to new members, although lately I'm a little behind with it, because of some changes in my personal life that need looking after. Nothing to worry about, I'll be all over the forums as soon as the season starts.

Hans, please do write those stories, I can't wait to read them.
Old 16 Feb 2001, 02:20 (Ref:65004)   #35
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Gerard!! You never wrote me a welcome message.
Old 16 Feb 2001, 20:31 (Ref:65115)   #36
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
This forum is definitely the friendliest one I have been to - and the best one for being able to discuss F1 with fans of different drivers and teams. When I joined last summer, I remember being welcomed numerous times by different members (I also remember commenting to Eero how friendly everyone on 10 Tenths is) and marvelling at people taking the time to say hello and welcome me to the forum. I was already, at that time, a member of two other forums, and on one of them, not a single person welcomed me to a community with which I was - naturally - unfamiliar with. That's not to say that the people on that forum weren't nice people, but the lack of welcomes made me feel like an outsider. Which is why I try to welcome new members when they arrive (although there are so many that it's very difficult!).