Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 25 Jul 2005, 07:43 (Ref:1362593)   #26
Xpunk75
Racer

United States
Detroit
Xpunk75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I find sheckter alot of fun to watch. And he had a good showing in Florida on the street course before his accident. He was running second. I hope Panther joins Champ Car and I really think its going to happen.

Last edited by macdaddy; 28 Jul 2005 at 21:14. Reason: Straying off-topic and off-series.
Old 25 Jul 2005, 11:01 (Ref:1362791)   #27
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dov
I think it would be a great idea if Panther Racing moved to Champ Car, but what has Scheckter done in his career so far that makes you think he might give PT, Seb, Junky, Wilson, CdM, Allmendinger a challenge ?
He has been impressive in terms of speed in anything he has ever stepped into, has trouble converting his speed into consistent results. If Panther make the switch I see him having no issues racing wheel to wheel with those mentioned, just would depend on how many times he could convert his raw speed.
Old 25 Jul 2005, 12:06 (Ref:1362880)   #28
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In today's Indy Star, there is an ited that states "panther has declined an offer to join Champ Car in 2006.

Team co-owner John Barnes said Panther would "absolutely not" be changing its status at the end of the season. He refused to detail the financial offer made by the owners of Champ Car, citing a confidentiality agreement he signed.

One part he did confirm was an agreement to run Champ Car teams in next year's Indy 500, much as Panther did in 2003 with Michael Andretti...

So the real story seems to be that Champ Car approached them and offered Panther $$$ to switch...and not Panther going to Champ car to explore the option...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 25 Jul 2005, 14:34 (Ref:1362984)   #29
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Look on the birght side, running Champ Car teams in next years 500 - You can't say that doesn't sound good!
Old 25 Jul 2005, 16:45 (Ref:1363051)   #30
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Okay, so they won't switch in 06. But yes, at least they are going to run Champ Car drivers in the 500.

But what will happen in 07?
Old 25 Jul 2005, 17:53 (Ref:1363110)   #31
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Who knows????

Panther was talking with Champ Car and Cosworth, as well as Grand-Am about possibilities for 2006...and John Barnes said as much about a week ago in Nashville...

They may revisit it next year as well....

But for next season, they are staying right where they are...

Old 25 Jul 2005, 18:24 (Ref:1363126)   #32
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh well. Is it a bright side? If the two sides are not going to get together, CC supporting cars at Indy doesn't make much sense when the IRL is going through a rough patch.
Old 26 Jul 2005, 22:14 (Ref:1364174)   #33
GBoehm
Racer

United States
San Ramon, CA
GBoehm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well it makes sense. Why would a team purchase some Lola chassis to only use for one year. When we move to the new specs and chassis then we might see some teams willing to commit fully to a switch.
Old 26 Jul 2005, 22:43 (Ref:1364199)   #34
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The way it was phrased was that the series would be paying so that individual teams could run at Indy. It might make sense for a team to do that, but not the series.
Old 27 Jul 2005, 01:17 (Ref:1364273)   #35
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Panther and Michael Andretti was 2001, not 2003. Panther may be CC's bridge to offer Indy as part of the CCWS package. Just because Panther isn't coming across doesn't mean there's no deal between CCWS and Panther. In fact the article comfirms there is.
Old 28 Jul 2005, 19:34 (Ref:1365905)   #36
Ac.
Racer

Canada
Waterloo, Ont.
Ac. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Snout
Just because Panther isn't coming across doesn't mean there's no deal between CCWS and Panther. In fact the article comfirms there is.
Exactly. The current deal may be to run CC regulars at Indy in 2006, but who knows what has been discussed for 2007. I'd propose that this is just the first of several stories we will hear over the next year and a half as IRL teams and sponsors hedge their bets by considering a move to CC.

Two years ago CC was at rock bottom, and the IRL looked like a solid bet for the future, but today the pendulum is swinging the other way. Teams will certainly consider switching to CC as engine money dries up.
Old 29 Jul 2005, 14:20 (Ref:1366600)   #37
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ac.
Exactly. The current deal may be to run CC regulars at Indy in 2006, but who knows what has been discussed for 2007. I'd propose that this is just the first of several stories we will hear over the next year and a half as IRL teams and sponsors hedge their bets by considering a move to CC.

Two years ago CC was at rock bottom, and the IRL looked like a solid bet for the future, but today the pendulum is swinging the other way. Teams will certainly consider switching to CC as engine money dries up.

A lot of water is going to pass under the bridge between now and 2007....

Neither Series has even announced their specs for 2007....

Let's wait for those, first , before we start looking at teams switching to anywhere....

Old 29 Jul 2005, 16:21 (Ref:1366701)   #38
Ac.
Racer

Canada
Waterloo, Ont.
Ac. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
Neither Series has even announced their specs for 2007....

Let's wait for those, first , before we start looking at teams switching to anywhere....
The fact that the IRL has not released its specifications, despite the promise that they would do so over a month ago, is exactly the kind of thing that destabilized CART(amongst many other problems).

It's not the 2007 specs that will start IRL teams thinking about a switch, it's the instability.
Old 29 Jul 2005, 16:34 (Ref:1366709)   #39
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
I don't know if this makes any difference, but we've all heard the rumors that the 2007 CC specs will call for lighter cars. To me, doesn't that seem like they are trying to have IRL similar spec cars?

What I am getting at is that perhaps there is a plan for unifying (and I say this grudgingly) both series by having specs that are the same? And Panther could be the bridge between the two.

Basically Panther was selected to see how CC operates, albeit just for the Indy 500. And if things are positive then we might see serious unification talks next year.

PS: I know that this is all weak speculation, and if this post gets deleted I wouldn't be surprised.
Old 29 Jul 2005, 16:48 (Ref:1366721)   #40
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar7605
I don't know if this makes any difference, but we've all heard the rumors that the 2007 CC specs will call for lighter cars. To me, doesn't that seem like they are trying to have IRL similar spec cars?

No.

Quite the reverse.

A "lighter" car is a more nimble road-course car. Not an oval car.
Old 29 Jul 2005, 16:53 (Ref:1366723)   #41
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
No.

Quite the reverse.

A "lighter" car is a more nimble road-course car. Not an oval car.
True, but aren't the current IRL cars lighter than the current Champ Cars?
Old 29 Jul 2005, 17:14 (Ref:1366735)   #42
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think so.
Old 29 Jul 2005, 17:23 (Ref:1366743)   #43
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I don't think so.
Nope Amar is correct.

Champ Car weight: 1,565 pounds

IRL weight: 1,550 pounds.
Old 29 Jul 2005, 17:28 (Ref:1366747)   #44
Kicking-back
Veteran

I stand corrected.

But bear in mind the ChampCar total weight includes the driver, whereas IndyCar's doesn't - so the actual weight of the car is lighter (by a very small margin) in ChampCar.
Old 29 Jul 2005, 17:44 (Ref:1366753)   #45
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
A 15lbs difference is what I'd call the same weight. Champ Car has different weight for oval vs. street/road configuration. When KK suggested a lighter car, I'm sure he ment more like 100lbs lighter.

The IRL seems to be handling their new spec situation well. I'd suggest that the late release is an indication that they see some chance of winning over one or more of the manufacturers. If there was no hope, they'd introduce their proposed "kit engine" specs. The IRL does seem to be doing a better job of working with the manufacturers than CART did.
Old 29 Jul 2005, 17:47 (Ref:1366756)   #46
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I stand corrected.

But bear in mind the ChampCar total weight includes the driver, whereas IndyCar's doesn't - so the actual weight of the car is lighter (by a very small margin) in ChampCar.
Although in September you are correct as the superspeedway weight is less at 1,540 pounds.
I know the IRL has the same design for the road courses but do they have more weight for those non oval races?
Old 5 Aug 2005, 16:44 (Ref:1373071)   #47
extreme
Rookie

Canada
Edmonton, AB
extreme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it still a possibility that panther might join the CCWS. Or have they stated that they are just going to stick with the IRL
Old 5 Aug 2005, 16:49 (Ref:1373075)   #48
Kicking-back
Veteran

They will be staying in the IRL