Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Apr 2001, 01:14 (Ref:80582)   #26
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Good one, Yorkie, I had forgotten that!

The in-car shot of the flying apparently flying backwards was terrifying, though funny in retrospect, thank God no one got hurt.
Old 15 Apr 2001, 01:43 (Ref:80585)   #27
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Mansell/Canada version that I have read was that by doing all his waving business, he let the revs drop too low and that was why the system shut down-who knows what the truth about that really was...

For the recent history stuff, I'd have to go along with the Hill/Hungary incident, thought it was a fly by wire throttle or gear shift problem no? In any case, as much as I enjoyed him suffing it inside Schuey at the first corner, I wasn't overly impressed by him moving over on Villeneuve when he caught up to him, as much as I could sympathize with his fustration of finally doing something with that damn Arrows.
Old 15 Apr 2001, 02:09 (Ref:80593)   #28
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Mansell '86 has got to be the standard for all ages. I disliked him intensely but my heart still sinks when I think about it, even today. It was not only the race but the whole thing, for no faul of his own (or anybody else's). I do not see how anyone can top that.
Old 16 Apr 2001, 18:25 (Ref:81204)   #29
Guy Goddard
Racer

Guy Goddard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Peter Mallett
[B]I think you are referring to the "I ran out of fuel" story which Patrick Head clarified as "the stupid pillock was waving so enthusiastically he hit the ignition switch".

This was proved when they got the car back to the garage, plugged in the starter and fired it up without adding any fuel.

As a person around on the Williams scene at this time what is written above is incorrect. He did not hit the ignition switch as this would have showed up on telemetry, the revs dropped to a point where by the system cut out and due to the slow speed the car was travelling at the time Nigel could not refire it. Although the car was reving slow through the corner it was not at danger point for it to cut out, hence on return the engine re fired but the car was not put through a "low rev" check to see if it would cut out again.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 11:59 (Ref:1999121)   #30
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Forgive me if I get the date wrong. I'm a long way from my books.

What about the Monaco GP (82?) when Derek Daly in a Williams inherited the lead only to coast to a dead stop due to fuel pressure probs. There was no fuel in the tank. There were about three changes of leader in the last two laps as I recall. Perhaps someone can tidy this up?
This thread is probably long since deceased but...Daly's problem was that his gearbox packed up. On the last lap when he took the lead from Pironi (who had run out of fule) he clipped the barrier and knocked his rear wing off. This was fine and he could have run to the end to win but the oil supply to the gearbox was on the rear wing and the gearbox basically ran out of oil and packed up...this allowed Patrese who had originally spun the lead away to Pironi back through to win.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 12:17 (Ref:1999132)   #31
Breffni
Rookie

Ireland
Dublin
Breffni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd throw in Mika Hakkinen's retirement on the last lap of the 2001 Spanish Grand Prix. Leading the race, then his engine failed. It was very sad to see.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 12:46 (Ref:1999153)   #32
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Damon Hill Silverstone 1993

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 29 Aug 2007, 12:55 (Ref:1999162)   #33
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Piercarlo Ghinzani, Monza 1984. He was heading for 4th in the Osella. Doubly unlucky, as he was classified 7th, but behind 2 chaps who were points-ineligible - one of whom was Jo Gartner...had they not been entered he'd've had 4 points rather than 2.

Plus Marco Apicella, Monza 1992(?). Caught up in an accident not of his own making 400 yards into his Grand Prix debut. He never got another chance.

Angel Guerra's was obviously even worse - half a lap into it and he never drove again - but I think that was less bad luck and more over-eagerness.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 12:57 (Ref:1999166)   #34
pottiella
Veteran

pottiella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah, ones that involve potential wins, and then failures in final laps are always painful - Kimi had it at Nurburgring as well...

But I gotta say, Jenson in Australia last year, it was so excrutiating to watch his car stop less than a 100 yards away from the finish line, with all the other cars whizzing past to finish...and the Honda guys at the pitwall, looking devastated...and Nick Fry...that look on his face, and it being on camera, everyone watching...ouch!
Old 29 Aug 2007, 13:12 (Ref:1999176)   #35
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What about Piquet crashing the backmarker Salazar when leading the 1982 German Grand Prix ? Tragic, comedy and ironic all the way: Piquet was the one who helped Salazar getting into F1. Several years later in a BMW's celebration that he was invited, the guys at BMW showed to Piquet the engine's data from that race: He wouldn't win that day anyway, the engine would last just a couple of laps more after the accident. Salazar was there too, and Piquet apologized for the display of anger at the time...

Not unluckiest but certainly a shame moment for F1.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 14:06 (Ref:1999203)   #36
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottiella

But I gotta say, Jenson in Australia last year, it was so excrutiating to watch his car stop less than a 100 yards away from the finish line, with all the other cars whizzing past to finish...and the Honda guys at the pitwall, looking devastated...and Nick Fry...that look on his face, and it being on camera, everyone watching...ouch!

Iirc, Honda told Jenson to stop to save them from an engine penalty for the following race, but yes, devestating all the same.

I'd like to put forward JPM being rammed in Brazil in 2001 when he should have won in only his 3rd start. JPM at Hockenheim 2001, costing a dominant win, JPM Hungary 2005 again a failure when he was cruising to victory.

But for downright bad luck, JPM at China 2005 and the dislodged manhole cover.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 14:24 (Ref:1999213)   #37
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
is it unlucky if you suffer your first engine failure in like a 100 races while attempting to win your 8th WDC or simply an act of divne intervention?
MS at Japan 2006
Old 29 Aug 2007, 15:42 (Ref:1999262)   #38
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Unlucky to have the first engine failure in 100 or so GP's

or....

Lucky not to have an engine failure in the preceding 99 GP's or so

Old 29 Aug 2007, 16:16 (Ref:1999289)   #39
pottiella
Veteran

pottiella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
Unlucky to have the first engine failure in 100 or so GP's

or....

Lucky not to have an engine failure in the preceding 99 GP's or so

glass half full, glass half empty...both one and the same if you ask me

I feel we have just opened a can of worms though!!
Old 29 Aug 2007, 16:43 (Ref:1999313)   #40
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Badoer was a good choice but I would suggest Heinz-Harald Frentzen from the same race: Europe '99. I suspect that was a must-win for him and I think he retired from the lead. After this race I think his title chances diminished. I could be wrong, technically speaking - but if memory serves then that was the case.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 17:29 (Ref:1999348)   #41
dcp2685
Veteran

dcp2685 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The nurburgring seems to be the place to dnf.

How about Kimi and his suspension explosion a few years ago on the last lap.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 19:49 (Ref:1999474)   #42
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mika 2001 Barcelona on the last lap when leading.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 20:49 (Ref:1999535)   #43
jnr blue 91
Rookie

United Kingdom
jnr blue 91 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
button when carving his way through the field at silverstone 2006..when his engine failed after about 15 laps

button melbourne last year aswell
Old 29 Aug 2007, 20:53 (Ref:1999540)   #44
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Unlucky Button all the way...
Old 29 Aug 2007, 22:11 (Ref:1999601)   #45
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Luck would have to exist in order for there to have been an "unluckiest DNF".
Old 29 Aug 2007, 22:17 (Ref:1999612)   #46
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
1978 South African GP - a young upstart by the name of Riccardo Patrese in an Arrows retires from the lead with 15 laps to go due to engine failure
Old 29 Aug 2007, 22:48 (Ref:1999659)   #47
Adri_tifosi
Veteran

Spain
Jerez
Adri_tifosi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I Believe , Badoer at Nurburgring 99 and Hakkinen in Barcelona 01 in te last lap
Old 29 Aug 2007, 22:57 (Ref:1999665)   #48
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
Luck would have to exist in order for there to have been an "unluckiest DNF".
Let's not go there again.

Maybe there is a 'lucky' DNF'er out there somewhere?
Old 29 Aug 2007, 23:01 (Ref:1999668)   #49
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

So just let it go Martyn
Old 29 Aug 2007, 23:06 (Ref:1999672)   #50
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just having a read of this thread. No one has mentioned the 89 Canadian GP, IIRC Senna retired with engine failure leaving Derek Warwick in the USF&G Arrows in the lead with not to many laps to go only for his car to expire, I think Prost came through for the win