Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 2 Nov 2006, 01:10 (Ref:1755804)   #26
Alan 52
Racer

Alan 52 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The real strength of Carrera Cup is that it has attracted a good number of young hard chargers not the Gentleman drivers + Jim and Peter that seemed to be the lot of Porsche racing pre Carrera Cup.Back on topic FIAGT will be fantastic at the AGP although I wish at least one of the races was a fair bit longer than 10 laps.I hope the field Ratel brings is top quality in terms of both drivers and cars.
Old 2 Nov 2006, 03:45 (Ref:1755855)   #27
Christopher
Racer

Australia
Peak Crossing, Queensland.
Christopher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Any chance of the GT3's showing up at the BIMF in 07? A AUSGT/FIAGT3 3hour race on saturday afternoon finishing on sunset be pretty special.
Old 2 Nov 2006, 07:42 (Ref:1755943)   #28
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Rombles1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Today at the Clipsal 500 launch they showed us two TV ads... one that will be shown nationally from tonight, and a special one just for Vic. Now I'm not suggesting that no v8's at the F1 will decimate the crowd, but I'll be surprised if it has NO effect. No doubt some in Vic will get upset with this ad, but hey, bugger 'em!
Old 2 Nov 2006, 07:57 (Ref:1755944)   #29
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Meh, I go to the F1 to see the F1...... I'd rather go see V8s at a track where I see more than 1 and a bit corners I'm sure as heck not paying $600 to see a Commodore or Falcon go around!
Old 2 Nov 2006, 08:05 (Ref:1755948)   #30
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How close in spec are the Aus cars to the Euro GT3?
Old 2 Nov 2006, 08:06 (Ref:1755950)   #31
Spunky
Racer

Spunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bazil, I am impressed you can be at every V8 supercar, Indy and F1 when there are so many date clashes.
Imagine if you shared your secret of how you do this with the engineer that you want to keep so badly, he could be in Europe, A1 GP and V8 Supercar, come on Baz.
Old 2 Nov 2006, 08:14 (Ref:1755955)   #32
bazil
Veteran

bazil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunky
Bazil, I am impressed you can be at every V8 supercar, Indy and F1 when there are so many date clashes.
Imagine if you shared your secret of how you do this with the engineer that you want to keep so badly, he could be in Europe, A1 GP and V8 Supercar, come on Baz.

Nice play on words... F1 Aus and Indy on the Gold Coast was the intended reference.

As for the engineer, everyone has to be a team player or there is no team.
Old 2 Nov 2006, 10:21 (Ref:1756064)   #33
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazil
It should also probably be mentioned that when F1 left Adelaide The world did not end because the v8 Supercars stayed and the event is now as big crowd wise as the F1 ever was
F1 ended in 1995 and Adelaide 500 begun in 99, so they didnt really stay on in that sense bazil.

Also I fail to see even with the VESA calculator how any Adelaide 500 crowd wise would reach the 1995 F1 Grand Prix attendence.

Arh if only the ALMS could have stayed at Adelaide

Quote:
or is and Adelaide is second only to Indy on the Gold Coast for total Crowd figures.
Isnt the Aus Grand Prix the biggest motorsport event, total crowd wise ?

Quote:
Now before all the Crowd number experts get on here and flap on about fudged numbers let me set you straight about 1 thing.
No one has to flap anymore Bazil, it has become common knowledge to take Vesa crowd figures with a grain of salt. You remember Oran Park 2005 dont you.

Quote:
As for GT3 or any other boutique motorsport form the best advise I could give in Australia and support the series that the "majority" of Australian motorsport fans support "v8's"
I cant see them supporting the v8s Bazil, why do that when you can support and be part of the biggest show in town 2007 GP seems like it will the best one yet.

Last edited by D.R.T.; 2 Nov 2006 at 10:23.
Old 2 Nov 2006, 10:58 (Ref:1756097)   #34
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
I guess DRT has just reminded me of a vital consideration in any debate here.... there will always be people who will defend V8's against allcomers, and there will always be those with the knives out, ready to bring the V8's down. I guess I am generally one of the former (Hell, I even said "Good job" to TC today at the Clipsal launch - I'm sure I'll go to motorsport hell for that!). We all know where Peckstar stands. Then there's the other side.....

An unbiased opinion here is rare - and even then the perception of bias will largely depend on the bias of the reader.

This is a classic case of having to agree to disagree.
Old 2 Nov 2006, 11:04 (Ref:1756108)   #35
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
no you dont, you only know what i argue, dosnt mean its where i stand.

but this you do know (welll only because im telling you) i wrote an email to V8SA last week telling them i wouldnt be at PI, because that have a judicial system that does not appear to be impartial.

oh and DRT is definatly wrong. Clipsal crowds are much bigger than F1. Save Albert Park told me, or is it only V8SA figures he has problems with
Old 2 Nov 2006, 11:23 (Ref:1756123)   #36
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
ok ok, to anyone reading my previous post, please ignore the line "We all know where Peckstar stands", and replace it with "We all know what Peckstar argues".

Happy?
Old 2 Nov 2006, 14:17 (Ref:1756267)   #37
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
oh and DRT is definatly wrong. Clipsal crowds are much bigger than F1. Save Albert Park told me, or is it only V8SA figures he has problems with
I have a problem with all BS crowd figures. I wouldnt be taking Save Albert Parks figures to the bank, nor Vesa nor AGP Corp. However what is the basis for the "Adelaide 500crowds are bigger than F1" statement ?

What was the announced figures for the 2005 and 2006 Adelaide 500 ?
Old 2 Nov 2006, 21:41 (Ref:1756574)   #38
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So, can anyone tell me if the Procar series Monaro's qualify to run in the GT3 class??

Would certainly put some local interest in the event.

Old 2 Nov 2006, 22:40 (Ref:1756644)   #39
bazil
Veteran

bazil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
I have a problem with all BS crowd figures. I wouldnt be taking Save Albert Parks figures to the bank, nor Vesa nor AGP Corp. However what is the basis for the "Adelaide 500crowds are bigger than F1" statement ?

What was the announced figures for the 2005 and 2006 Adelaide 500 ?
If no bankability in anyones claimed crowd figures then an debate as to wether one is bigger than the other can only really be gauged by being present at each of them and walking around the event as well around the city or town of the event.

Good old pullapart DRT has said before that he does not go to them all so I struggle to understand the basis of his rants about crowds as he does not have regular first hand experience at all events to compare.

The AGP as usual will be a great event and the GT3 races will be good particulary for diehards but I am sure the crowds will drop with no V8's and Walker will deny it. And the minority (see V8 HATERS) will deny along with him
Old 2 Nov 2006, 23:31 (Ref:1756670)   #40
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not a V8 hater but don't like some of the running the show and some of the stupid decisons made by those people who are supposed to be professionals. I like the GT Sports cars and i also like to see a SJ20 engined 120Y running around in IP. What V8 Supercars have tried to do is to force all those categories out of business as a viable alternative to them. I hope that the GT race at the AGP is a success and i hope the locals are included in the field. Would be good to see a 40 car field running around Albert Park.
Old 2 Nov 2006, 23:37 (Ref:1756676)   #41
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
Presumebly the Australian GT Championship cars will fill the grid out at this event, as it will be a non-championship event for the Europeans
How do you know it will be non-championship? Besides, AusGT couldn't, see below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher
Any chance of the GT3's showing up at the BIMF in 07? A AUSGT/FIAGT3 3hour race on saturday afternoon finishing on sunset be pretty special.
The AusGT have an exclusive contract to be support to V8 Supercars (which didn't seem to bother anyone when it was announced - I thought it was a terrible move).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA
So, can anyone tell me if the Procar series Monaro's qualify to run in the GT3 class??

Isn't that a picture of the Bathurst 24H Monaro? THAT certainly wouldn't qualify! GT3 is close to production spec.
Old 2 Nov 2006, 23:45 (Ref:1756681)   #42
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
00 XR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA

Certainly not.

I can't even imagine what the European teams would say if they turned up and told them that a couple of those things were racing................ it wouldn't be pretty.

Let us sincerely hope that we never see such a ridiculous situation in the Aus GT Championship as we did in Nations Cup with those "Monaros".............
“Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. What you have to do is you have to say look; the fact of the matter is that I’m red hot, that Todd Kelly is a ******, I have always thought he was, and I was just mowing him down based on ability”. – Neil Crompton talking to Jamie Whincup, post Bathurst 2005.
Old 2 Nov 2006, 23:55 (Ref:1756687)   #43
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
I wonder what kind of agreement the AusGT entrants have with AusGT. If its like V8 Supercars then we won't be seeing them joining the GT3, if they do come down.
Old 3 Nov 2006, 00:00 (Ref:1756691)   #44
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
00 XR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is more a question of whether the GT3 boys want the locals competing than if AusGT have a problem with it I would have thought............
“Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. What you have to do is you have to say look; the fact of the matter is that I’m red hot, that Todd Kelly is a ******, I have always thought he was, and I was just mowing him down based on ability”. – Neil Crompton talking to Jamie Whincup, post Bathurst 2005.
Old 3 Nov 2006, 00:06 (Ref:1756695)   #45
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Why wouldn't they? As long as the cars are to spec (and since FIA GT would be running it, they'd have to be), I can't see why they would have a problem with it. They'd encourage it, I'd have thought.
Old 3 Nov 2006, 01:48 (Ref:1756729)   #46
Alan 52
Racer

Alan 52 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan
How do you know it will be non-championship? Besides, AusGT couldn't, see below.

The AusGT have an exclusive contract to be support to V8 Supercars (which didn't seem to bother anyone when it was announced - I thought it was a terrible move).

Isn't that a picture of the Bathurst 24H Monaro? THAT certainly wouldn't qualify! GT3 is close to production spec.
The proposed exclusive agreement to support V8 Supercars fell over some time ago-see press release on gtchampionship.com.au
Old 3 Nov 2006, 02:01 (Ref:1756736)   #47
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan
Ratel said so. Aus GT can and probably will. Supports at BIMF and A1 GP have been announced already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotofan
It was, thankfully that contract didnt last for long.

Quote:
If no bankability in anyones claimed crowd figures then an debate as to wether one is bigger than the other can only really be gauged by being present at each of them and walking around the event as well around the city or town of the event.
That is just as subjective as those who run the events.

Common sense is also a useful tool in such a scenario.

Quote:
The AGP as usual will be a great event and the GT3 races will be good particulary for diehards but I am sure the crowds will drop with no V8's and Walker will deny it. And the minority (see V8 HATERS) will deny along with him
Why are you sure the crowds will be down ? Fans will still get to see F1 and a quality support. The same value they got before.
Old 3 Nov 2006, 02:15 (Ref:1756744)   #48
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Why are you sure the crowds will be down ? Fans will still get to see F1 and a UNKNOWN support. The Same ? value they got before.
Very few fans would know what FIA GT3 or Australian GT is...so how many will turn up is conjecture. The F1 race has been losing it's appeal, so it is a lot of speculation how his combined F1/FIA GT3 event will be received.
Old 3 Nov 2006, 02:23 (Ref:1756746)   #49
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately for all the Monaro fans, Ratel will not create a special set of rules for the Monaro so it is so far ahead of the opposition who race around the world...so unless it gets a major redesign, it will not be in.

Crowd figures are always subjective...V8SA have always been prime canditates for overstating figures and tv figures...but can't really say anyone else is any better...This is a great opportunity for the Aus GT3 and I hope that my prediction of a similar crowd size to last year will be true...but we will have to find out.

And I noticed something about the ALMS, did anyone see this article...
http://feedmesportscars.com/node/977
Wonder who was the real cause behind this race exiting???
Old 3 Nov 2006, 03:44 (Ref:1756765)   #50
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
no you dont, you only know what i argue, dosnt mean its where i stand.
Pecky, why on earth would you argue for anything other than what you believe in? Drop the bull****, we all know exactly where you stand.