Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 4 Mar 2007, 08:38 (Ref:1857737)   #26
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSR
How can a 2nd & 3rd placing get beat by a 1st & 4th in this points system.Please Explain.
That my friend is the biggest argument FOR the new points system.

Rick Kelly (1st and 4th) gets more points than James Courtney (2nd and 3rd)

Hallelujah!!!!!!

A points system that rewards winning over consistency..........

Last edited by Average Punter; 4 Mar 2007 at 08:40.
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 4 Mar 2007, 08:54 (Ref:1857754)   #27
Dazz
Veteran

Dazz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
The concern centres mainly around whether the sponsor is happy to have their multi million dollar investment on zero points, while the series leader is a zillion miles (infinity in comparison) up the road compared to them
I shaving 2,358,650 points vs 11,548,720 points really any different?

If I was Team X on zero I'd be going back to the sponsor asking for more dosh to help get those hard earned points!

and just because you have a handfull of points does your sponsor believe you will actuall catch them.

Being serious though for a sec, when I said if people have no points maybe they shouldn't be there, was if they have no points at years end.
Old 4 Mar 2007, 08:54 (Ref:1857755)   #28
KineticEnergy
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
KineticEnergy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In considering an entry that goes a lap or 2 down due to accident or mechanical hick-up, and whilst not disagreeing on the need for exposure for the bill payers, I would have thought with the limits on testing, getting as much track time, even with a lost points cause might also be worthwhile.

Might be difficult in the shorter races. Longer races? Possibly an opportunity to try some new setups, components etc?
Old 4 Mar 2007, 09:00 (Ref:1857758)   #29
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The current points system favours not bothering to fix a car if it is damaged.

So if you have a prang early on in the race, or are delayed.. the chance of chasing 15th position is very small... such that the crowd is robbed of seeing "their star" out on the circuit for the balance of proceedings
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 4 Mar 2007, 09:44 (Ref:1857775)   #30
James63
Veteran

Australia
Q
James63 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who wants to see their "star" trundelling around in 25th position anyway? They are well out of the game anyway, points or no points.
Old 4 Mar 2007, 09:44 (Ref:1857776)   #31
Venom XR
Racer

Australia
Venom XR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter
That my friend is the biggest argument FOR the new points system.

Rick Kelly (1st and 4th) gets more points than James Courtney (2nd and 3rd)

Hallelujah!!!!!!

A points system that rewards winning over consistency..........
I agree!
Old 4 Mar 2007, 09:48 (Ref:1857780)   #32
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

So if you have a prang early on in the race, or are delayed.. the chance of chasing 15th position is very small... such that the crowd is robbed of seeing "their star" out on the circuit for the balance of proceedings
I really couldn't care about those racers, circulating to bag one or two points... Merely watching my favourite driver lapping after serving a penalty or spending conserable time in the pits for repairs is virtually RACE OVER... and not very exciting.
Old 4 Mar 2007, 09:59 (Ref:1857786)   #33
mmciau
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
mmciau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
" ...

So is someone like Jason Bargwanna who is on 3 points, 12 times more useless than the race winner?
In his case YES!!

Mike
Old 4 Mar 2007, 10:01 (Ref:1857787)   #34
leaso
Racer

leaso should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why dont you people actullay understand the race format first. Todd won race 1, Rick won race 2, No winner of the actual round under the new system. this meeting is a rarity and special in the Championship 2 seperate races on one weekend. Not real ghard to comprehend
Old 4 Mar 2007, 10:01 (Ref:1857788)   #35
KineticEnergy
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
KineticEnergy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Points or no points, as a Driver, Team Manager or Technical Director, I'd rather have my car out on the track, ironing out the kinks, finding its limits or weak points. Won't find that sitting on its uncompressable jacks (thanks Cromley) in the garage.
Old 4 Mar 2007, 10:09 (Ref:1857794)   #36
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Perhaps we should review this after Perth then, if this event is an oddball one off....

.. and see how many factory backed cars with significant commercial sponsorship are literally pointless after 2 rounds.

Are all the people on the list without any points from teams of no repute, or are incapable of being inside the top 15? I didnt think so.. however given that they didnt get any points this weekend, arguably they shouldnt have bothered showing up...

The concern centres mainly around whether the sponsor is happy to have their multi million dollar investment on zero points, while the series leader is a zillion miles (infinity in comparison) up the road compared to them

So is someone like Jason Bargwanna who is on 3 points, 12 times more useless than the race winner?
GTR, have you been sampling some of Perkins or DJR's sponsors products?

What on earth are you on about?

The POINT of a points system is to (allegedly) find out who is the best driver/team over a full season, NOT one race so I cannot see what the heck you are arguing. Furthermore, the best system is one that rewards winners and also consistency - this one appears to be close to that. Somebody mentioned that Mums Boy got more points for a 4th and 1st than Courtney got for 2nd and 3rd - SO HE SHOULD!

After last years Clipsal, even with the NASCAR "give-em-all-something" system that you seem to like - M Skaife, J Courtney, M Marshall and S Owen all had NO POINTS. What you are suggesting is that they should have packed up for the year? Ludicrous! And the leader (J Whicup) was 310, a zillion miles up the road...

Under this system, if you get your act together and WIN a few races, you can get back in the hunt. Any sponsor who does not understand that you can have a bad day is kidding themselves - AND they sign up for the year usually (or even longer) - AND they sign up under CONDITIONS ... presumably after looking at the teams business plan, driver signings, corporate package, hospitality plans, promotions, exposure, signage etc etc etc. These are generally not stupid people who sign these cheques (I used to do it, but don't hold that against them).

Your argument is like a Melbourne Dam - it holds no water.
Old 4 Mar 2007, 10:11 (Ref:1857798)   #37
deeks6
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby
I really couldn't care about those racers, circulating to bag one or two points... Merely watching my favourite driver lapping after serving a penalty or spending conserable time in the pits for repairs is virtually RACE OVER... and not very exciting.
We agree on something SSBaby (wholeheartedly) ... peace in the Middle East is possible.
Old 4 Mar 2007, 10:19 (Ref:1857804)   #38
deeks6
Veteran

Quote:

If that is the case ... GOOD!

How many times have we seen some unsafe, damaged car back out on the track causing mayhem (J Richards bathurst 06 springs to mind)?

Bargs again today - caused unnecessary safety car.

Who wants to see their "favourite star" wallowing around at the back of the field? The TV won't show them so you have to be at the track anyway. No, it does not stack up M8!
Old 4 Mar 2007, 10:21 (Ref:1857805)   #39
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why dont we wait until the end of the year, then see how the teams championship is shaken out. Last season in F1, only 2 teams didnt score points, yet the WCC still fairly accurately showed the levels of performance from drivers and teams.
Old 4 Mar 2007, 10:22 (Ref:1857806)   #40
STEVO
Veteran

STEVO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What if you qualify 31st and charge up to P16 in a race? Don't you think you should be rewarded than some guy who qualifies 24th and slips back to 27th?

Don't you think the car who started 31st and charged up to 16th put in a more solid effort on the day then the bloke who went from 24 to 27? According to this points system, both cars were of equal performance. That's a shame.

The main flaw with the points IMHO.
Old 4 Mar 2007, 10:25 (Ref:1857809)   #41
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think the points to half of the grid is wrong but i think that the gap between places is right IMO, iagree with STEVO you should be rewarded so give points all the way to 31 or how ever many cars there will be but keep the gap the way it is so it dosn't reward consistancy.
Old 4 Mar 2007, 10:39 (Ref:1857821)   #42
deeks6
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVO
What if you qualify 31st and charge up to P16 in a race? Don't you think you should be rewarded than some guy who qualifies 24th and slips back to 27th?

Don't you think the car who started 31st and charged up to 16th put in a more solid effort on the day then the bloke who went from 24 to 27? According to this points system, both cars were of equal performance. That's a shame.

And what about the bloke who qualifies 4th and gets turned around and finishes 16th?

And what about the bloke who charges up to 17th?

And what about the bloke who has red hair?

The points should give you INCENTIVE to qualify better ... if you have a car fast enough to pass 15 cars then it was fast enough to qualify at least 15 spots further up the grid.
Old 4 Mar 2007, 10:40 (Ref:1857823)   #43
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
Quote:

In short NO.

For example, if Skaife started at the back of the field and raced to 16th, bad luck! It relatively easy for the big guns to pass the last 15 or so cars within the first few laps... passing the next 15 cars is very very difficult. Mr Skaife should learn to qualify better next time. The points system should reward the fastest drivers over the course of the season... and not reward for the odd flash in the pan effort, for a particular round, IMO.
Old 4 Mar 2007, 10:41 (Ref:1857824)   #44
STEVO
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeks6
And what about the bloke who qualifies 4th and gets turned around and finishes 16th?

And what about the bloke who charges up to 17th?

And what about the bloke who has red hair?

The points should give you INCENTIVE to qualify better ... if you have a car fast enough to pass 15 cars then it was fast enough to qualify at least 15 spots further up the grid.
The bloke with Red hair? Ask Steven Richards. Don't ask me.

I disagree, I like points as is and the gaps, I think it's ideal. I just think beyond P15, points should become a lot less and with greater gaps back to P1, but still feel the other half need to be sorted out.
Old 4 Mar 2007, 10:43 (Ref:1857825)   #45
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Hopefully it will teach them both to qualify better next time, but if the first driver is that good he will do ok the next race. He can put down the 31st to 16th place, down as a learning experience.
Old 4 Mar 2007, 10:43 (Ref:1857826)   #46
STEVO
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby
In short NO.

For example, if Skaife started at the back of the field and raced to 16th, bad luck! It relatively easy for the big guns to pass the last 15 or so cars within the first few laps... passing the next 15 cars is very very difficult. Mr Skaife should learn to qualify better next time. The points system should reward the fastest drivers over the course of the season... and not reward for the odd flash in the pan effort, for a particular round, IMO.
Yes but a "gun" like a Lowndes or Skaife passing 15 cars from the rear at Adelaide is do-able, I agree. Not the greatest feat when you've got 70 odd laps to play with.

But what if they did so at a shorter track and a shorter race? Don't know. Just think they should sort the "other" half out. That's all.
Old 4 Mar 2007, 10:43 (Ref:1857827)   #47
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeks6
We agree on something SSBaby (wholeheartedly) ... peace in the Middle East is possible.
LOL

Thanks brudda (oops did I really say that?)
Old 4 Mar 2007, 10:58 (Ref:1857841)   #48
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the team involves their sponsors in the cars activities then the sponsors should be happy, whether they are winning or not.
Old 4 Mar 2007, 12:32 (Ref:1857886)   #49
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Well this thread takes the cake. You blokes have whinged and complained about a point system that the majority of people on here were clearly against. We have had one meeting and it is now four pages and 48 posts saying how terrible it is that you actually have to achieve something to get points.
Old 4 Mar 2007, 14:09 (Ref:1857953)   #50
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have to say I agree with that - way to early to tell. The proof of the system will be how the championship goes over the season and what sort of chase it throws up (or doesn't). One thing's clear, there's no point in just driving for points this year, you need to be chasing wins and podiums if you want #1 on the door next year.