Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 13 Mar 2007, 18:28 (Ref:1865746)   #26
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks again guys.

B1ackcr0w... we're buying it at the same time thus it will be new when we get it - but the point is taken, especially considering later events. also the hygene aspect (an uncomfortable experience which I've had the displeasure of after a couple of trips to a karting centre...) is one I overlooked, and that's beginning to bug me now!

From the answers given, I think it looks like a full face is the direction we'll be heading in. I've already had a nasty bash to the chin (See marshals forum from last year), and don't particularly want another one!

The only thing which is putting me off is not justifying the expense really. whcih is one of the reasons I'm a bit unsure of when buying these things. Don't particularly want to pay out hundreds for what could be my one and only appearance on the black stuff (As opposed to the green stuff where I normally like to play with clothy things on sticks).

Anyway, thanks again and keep the advice coming, it really is much appreciated.
Old 13 Mar 2007, 21:17 (Ref:1865908)   #27
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The STIG
From the answers given, I think it looks like a full face is the direction we'll be heading in.
The only thing which is putting me off is not justifying the expense really. whcih is one of the reasons I'm a bit unsure of when buying these things. Don't particularly want to pay out hundreds for what could be my one and only appearance on the black stuff (As opposed to the green stuff where I normally like to play with clothy things on sticks).
Don't worry, once you've tried it you'll be back, hence no money wasted.
Old 13 Mar 2007, 21:50 (Ref:1865950)   #28
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'll move this over to racers now, where it should get better exposure, with a link from the original forum.
Old 13 Mar 2007, 22:54 (Ref:1865997)   #29
Austinspace75
Racer

England
Cardiff
Austinspace75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

One other point, is it possible to share a helmet with someone else? I have a team mate who may fit the same size helmet, and anything to save money and all that...
As long as you both have the same size head then there's no reason why not. However, you might find putting your head in a helmet full of someone else's sweat a tad nasty!

Last edited by Austinspace75; 13 Mar 2007 at 22:56.
Old 14 Mar 2007, 16:06 (Ref:1866522)   #30
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue dude
......As a member of a Rescue crew i have in my possession one of these helmets that a chap in a Caterfield slid up a track upside down on his head while wearing one and it stood up really well so that is why i chose this particular helmet.......
Hence the requirement for clearance between top of helmet and underside of cage, and the need for harnesses to be TIGHT.........

both are issues which I think competitors and officials ignore or overlook far too often.
Old 14 Mar 2007, 18:54 (Ref:1866623)   #31
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Don't worry, once you've tried it you'll be back, hence no money wasted.
Well I'd certainly like to be back, but I can't see myself getting enough money/time/space to get hold of a reliable supply of car to do more than 2 sprints a season...
Old 14 Mar 2007, 19:04 (Ref:1866631)   #32
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And your point is?
Old 14 Mar 2007, 22:07 (Ref:1866787)   #33
schomosport
Racer

schomosport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Oh and to my knowledge bike helmets are not suitable because they don't have the impact capability or the fireproofing (they aren't designed with possible roll cage contact or enclosed fire risks in mind). You need to read the Snell foundation to understand this.
Helmet capability is defined by specification not the type of sport for which it is going to be used. The sport governing bodies identify the specification considered appropriate to the nature of the sport under their jurisdiction. There are often several specifications, some are common to non-sporting motorcycle use, sporting motorcycle use and motor racing use. Some are not. If you are required to use a fireproofed helmet you are unlikely to be able to buy one down the local bike shop. If you are satisfied with the protection obtained from a BS 6658-85 Type A (MSA 2006 requirement) helmet you probably can. Whilst I would agree that some helmets may have specifically been designed to give enhanced protection against rollbar impact, it is not correct to say that a BS 6658-85 Type A doesn't give such protection. BS 6658-85 performance is assessed by definable tests capable of consistent repetition in a laboratory. The relationship between those tests and the real impacts suffered in race or bike accidents is probably questionable since there are so many variables in real accidents. For example I seem to recall one specification, maybe now obsolete, that was intended to simulate the effect of a head of a certain mass hitting the road at 30 mph. What passing that test told us about the protection offered at 60mph cannot be determined.
Old 14 Mar 2007, 22:31 (Ref:1866809)   #34
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
Quote:
And your point is?
err... that I might not get enough usage out the kit...?
Old 15 Mar 2007, 03:10 (Ref:1866942)   #35
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Schomosport.

Thanks you clarified ny point. I was not suggesting tnat a BS helmet was inadequate just referring to the point that bike and car he!mets are different.

STIG. I suggest that you will get the use out of it because once you've tried it you will do as much as you can and two times per yeaa
r will xoon increase.
Old 15 Mar 2007, 08:19 (Ref:1867024)   #36
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
ahhh...

One other point, is it possible to share a helmet with someone else? I have a team mate who may fit the same size helmet, and anything to save money and all that...

Cheers!
This is most certainly unheard of! Could not condone it etc,Aria open face ,probably the most comfortable you could buy,and very reasonablly priced.PM me .
Old 15 Mar 2007, 08:26 (Ref:1867031)   #37
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bye the way ,I was always under the impression that Bike Helmets were not compatible for Car Racing as well .
Old 15 Mar 2007, 08:29 (Ref:1867034)   #38
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Take a look Here for more info on safety stuff.
Old 15 Mar 2007, 08:45 (Ref:1867052)   #39
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I was taken to task by a scrute because I had an ACU bike sticker on mine.
It is 4 years old and came with it when purchased from DTs.
Old 15 Mar 2007, 08:52 (Ref:1867061)   #40
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IIRC the BSxxxx type A (motorbike helmet) standard is listed in the Blue Book for sprinting and, I think, car racing. (The A/F - for fireproof - standard is acceptable for car racing). But motorbike helmets generally haven't had BS stickers on for over 5 years (something to do with an European type approval that didn't come through; my last bike helmet only has the ACU gold star sticker on it). So if you do find a helmet in a motorbike shop with a BS sticker on it, it may have been there 5+ years - not good. Best bet is go along to DEmon Tweeks, GPR, etc., have a look 'round, try some on (some just won't fit you...), talk to the nice salesperson and see what they can offer in your price range, i.e. discount.

I'm suprised that an open face is cheaper than a full face - I'd have thought the economics of bulk manufacturing of full face would have outwayed the costs of a little bit more composite.
Old 15 Mar 2007, 10:12 (Ref:1867131)   #41
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of the big advantages of an open face helmet in a closed car is that normally they come with a peak which helps to keep the cast a shadow on your eyes and keep the sun out of your eyes. With full face helmets I have always used these in open cars and like most people I put a coloured strip at the top of the visor to keep out the sun.
I have tried to use my full face helmet in a saloon and found it rather difficult and prone to mist up with the visor down, hence my temptation to use an open face helmet. Looking at DT's catalogue there are a few helmets that are designed for use in a saloon or rally car that offer chin protection but still have the peak common to open helmets.
I would assume that these are the best options although they seem a lot more expensive than most open faced helmets.
Old 15 Mar 2007, 10:29 (Ref:1867142)   #42
steveng
Racer

England
Beverley East Yorkshire
steveng should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scrutes and helmets.....I no longer take my Hans device to scrutineering as some of the guys just do not understand how they work. I had a long and very silly 'conversion' once with a scrutineer about the fact that the straps on the Hans were not tight when I was wearing it. I tried to point out that forward movement of the driver in the seat belt pre-tensions the Hans' straps in the first moments of an accident. If the straps were tight all the time the driver would not be able to move. His mind was made up and he was not about to be confused by the facts!
On that occasion I toold him that I wouldn't wear it (I lied) and have never presented it for inspection in UK again.
In general I'm pretty impressed by the advice and guidance given by the safety scruntineers but the don't all know everything all the time.
Old 15 Mar 2007, 10:54 (Ref:1867157)   #43
Biff
Rookie

United Kingdom
Worcestershire
Biff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If its OK to recommend a manufacturer, I would always go for Bell and go for full face. I understand the need for making the money go as far as you can, but Gordons earlier advice is right.

The Bell are well made, to the point that the internal scull protection passes all the safety tests on its own, without the outer shell.

I had a head on at very high speed in a Rover Tomcat at camp corner at Castle Combe a few years ago, the floor of the car was crumpled etc., and my head smacked into the steering wheel.

Car in the bin, helmet in the bin, head OK......Although some may dispute this latter point.
Old 15 Mar 2007, 19:43 (Ref:1867562)   #44
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
This is most certainly unheard of!
Erm, not quite.

I have seen several people (usually husband and wife teams) sharing a helmet over the years. As long as the helmet fits both people to the satisfaction of the scrutineers there is nothing wrong with sharing it. Having said that, you would have to know that the person who owns it hasn't damaged it in any way and that it would still offer you the protection you think you should be getting.
Old 15 Mar 2007, 20:56 (Ref:1867640)   #45
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila M
Erm, not quite.

I have seen several people (usually husband and wife teams) sharing a helmet over the years. As long as the helmet fits both people to the satisfaction of the scrutineers there is nothing wrong with sharing it. Having said that, you would have to know that the person who owns it hasn't damaged it in any way and that it would still offer you the protection you think you should be getting.

[ Tongue----Cheek]
Old 15 Mar 2007, 21:13 (Ref:1867659)   #46
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
[ Tongue----Cheek]
To my opinion, the last years Spa 6h Srcutineering with the stickers on eaht scrutineered helmet was a good move One shouldn't go "dutch" on a helmet.................... ( I hardly ever have seen women wife teams with the same headsize..............................)
Old 15 Mar 2007, 23:20 (Ref:1867769)   #47
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
Further examination of my team mate's bonce revealse there to be a 2 cm difference.

I think that this might make the plan un-workable. but not knowing the size scales of helmet makers (The ones on DT website appear wrong)... it may be possible.

although I have to say, I'm going off the idea. Fast.
Old 16 Mar 2007, 05:32 (Ref:1867952)   #48
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't rely on size charts, you need to try it on, as the shape of your head may make one or another fit better.
By all means once you have tried it on buy form an on-line retailer if you want (though it is a little rude, I personally think you should give the shop you try it on at a go at matching price, at least) but try it on first.
Old 16 Mar 2007, 16:16 (Ref:1868369)   #49
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
You've got to try them on to know what fits properly - and a 2cm difference is very likely to mean you need different helmets (I wouldn't be comfortable sharing a helmet anyway even if you did have heeds the same size).
Old 16 Mar 2007, 16:46 (Ref:1868391)   #50
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
Hopefully be able to try a few on at the Race Retro show. well that's the plan anyway.