Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 6 Jul 2007, 14:43 (Ref:1956258)   #26
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Bob Pearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the "not get involved" is the best approach in the short term. But someone needs to look at this business, as there is nothing to stop it creeping throughout club racing and so leaving the genuine clubman nowhere to race. When the perpetrators of this scam quote " level playing field" it has a similar effect to shouting " safety " in the workplace in that no-one dare argue.
Old 7 Jul 2007, 21:28 (Ref:1957140)   #27
abrussich
Rookie

United States
Houston, Texas
abrussich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to the latest batch of emails I must be one of the richest people in the world, what with all the various Euro, U.K., and other Lottery winnings I have been recently awarded.

The harsh reality of it all is no, I am not. In fact, combined with my team partner, no we are not.
But our sponsors are .

AL B.
Team L.O.S.T.
Old 9 Jul 2007, 13:06 (Ref:1958586)   #28
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Walshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayFF
Alan I disagree

The Mygale SJ01 I rebuilt from the chassis up and raced was as good as any Zetec. In fact I set it up and ran it for it's french owner and he won the festival.

Just sold my FF1600 and the new driver is more than pleased with it see Autospout. That was rebuilt twice from the chassis up and is running with my set up.

Ok I am no John Oxborrow I didn't design the cars but I mended, built, modified and ran them. The point is if I could afford the tyres and had the talent I could have won in those cars too. So it can be done without all the bull$hit off the back of a trailer, I have never had a truck tempted now if I could afford one though
A good example of this was the Bennett brothers at Oulton Park. They had plenty of money, but they never chucked it at the racing. They just had talent. They turned up with the two immaculate cars on open trailers and a smallish "get you by" tool box. Off they went and dominated the series at Oulton. Granted, they had engines done when required and tyres when required, but there was no thrills, no pomp. They turned up, did there thing and went home.

There is a little bit of keeping up with the Jones' these days.

The thing with some of these kids that come along with rich dads is the attitude to racing. Rather than TEACH the kids the safe way, the attitude is to repair cars each time they throw it off the black stuff. This is how the kids find the limits. Problem with this is that some of the big teams that run these kids love this as it keeps them making money........

Short term reddies!!!!!!
Old 11 Jul 2007, 08:57 (Ref:1960445)   #29
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
JustinDawkins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine
It possibly is. My point was that the more complicated the cars became, the less easy it was to run them.

Of course you can run the car yourself. It's just become a bit harder which has possibly put a few people off doing it themselves.
The very latest Formula Fords are not that complicated. There is absolutely nothing stopping anyone running one of the latest cars off a trailer, setting it up themselves and winning a championship with minimal equipment, and no truck, awning, engineers, mechanics etc.
Old 11 Jul 2007, 10:28 (Ref:1960527)   #30
brakedisc
Racer

brakedisc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Justin.

I was involved in a project last year and despite travelling 15k+miles to do all the rounds, spent a quarter of what we were quoted by a professional team. Tyres, accidents, living expenses included. Car was borrowed, old Ford cargo for accomodation, box trailer on the back. Young driver and 2 old codgers looking after things. National Championship won with a round to go.

Not doing so well this year mind you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11 Jul 2007, 17:17 (Ref:1960849)   #31
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I totally agree with all of you. Formula Fords aren't hard to run. It just seems to be that not many people can be bothered doing it themselves anymore.

In my day most of the racers were self run and it was good because most people helped each other out in times of difficulty. We all new who had what and generally were happy to give assistance, be it parts or labour. Ironically a lot of the teams in NW FF seem to be run by people who raced around the same time as me, so at least they are passing on their experience.

I've been to a few Kart meetings recently and have been amazed by some of the setups there. Kids being sponsored by rich dads. Big trucks, Motorhomes all over the place. Perhaps some of it comes from there.

(I still say Formula Fords they are more complicated than the used to be )
Old 11 Jul 2007, 17:39 (Ref:1960865)   #32
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brakedisc
II was involved in a project last year and despite travelling 15k+miles to do all the rounds, spent a quarter of what we were quoted by a professional team. Tyres, accidents, living expenses included. Car was borrowed, old Ford cargo for accomodation, box trailer on the back. Young driver and 2 old codgers looking after things. National Championship won with a round to go.

Not doing so well this year mind you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe get the old red Cargo back out then!

No, only joking, racing Duratecs has to be harder than Zetec Scholarship Class in UKFF. He can still win races this year I reckon.
Old 11 Jul 2007, 22:15 (Ref:1961103)   #33
novicecross
Rookie

novicecross should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Much of this is obviously true although not everyone pays for a team to show off. With my job I just don't have time to run my own car although I did try doing it partly last season. I found that cleaning, preparing and transporting the car was a great experience but I just don't have the time with kids and work. It is a choice of paying someone else to do it or not playing at all. And paying a small team to run the car doesn't always cost a small fortune.
Old 11 Jul 2007, 22:21 (Ref:1961112)   #34
brakedisc
Racer

brakedisc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would love to see him win. Brands is his best chance but I rekon he needs another season to be right at the front. Doubt if he will get the chance. I am not involved this year and I am still smarting from suggesting another formula. Still sorting out the mess. Car has gone, truck went yesterday, so only the engine left. It was worth a try and I did my best for him. Gone back to car building for fun.
Old 12 Jul 2007, 01:01 (Ref:1961174)   #35
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes I am rich
can i spend 100k for a season of FF?
maybe maybe not, it depend on How i spend and what i really care about
if it is all in the car and I have a pick up to drag it around in and a nice tent? and good data equipemt and new tyre every meeting
well maybe i can do it for less.