Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 Oct 2007, 22:45 (Ref:2039496)   #26
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by James63
Is that the right link??
No... Try this one
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 14 Oct 2007, 01:46 (Ref:2039578)   #27
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
Or just run at Calder on the short circuit
I tried to convince the powers at be to run the middle rounds of this years VMRC (AASA) series on the Calder & Winton short tracks but the answer I got was the competitor groups didn't want it so it didn't happen.

I do remember Mal Rose in his AUSCAR doing demo laps very sideways at a Calder truck meeting on the short track many years ago which was impressive.
Old 14 Oct 2007, 06:53 (Ref:2039635)   #28
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Must you say, why Robert?
That Oval is in such a state , that it would require a fortune to get it up to scratch again. I cannot see this happening. So the most obvious solution would be eventually to sell it for housing OR make it into another type of sporting arena.
Old 14 Oct 2007, 06:58 (Ref:2039639)   #29
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Maybe Mrs Jane could end up with the Thunderdome in the divorce settlement?
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 14 Oct 2007, 07:10 (Ref:2039641)   #30
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Silver 3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ryan
That Oval is in such a state , that it would require a fortune to get it up to scratch again. I cannot see this happening. So the most obvious solution would be eventually to sell it for housing OR make it into another type of sporting arena.
Do not rule out something happening on the Thunderdome--including major works to take the dips( bumps) out. There have been considerable action this year with appearances of more to come-- so I will remain cautious before dismissing . Bob is saying( yes again) that it will-- but I am tending to believe him.
The other issue that raises it's head in comments often-that the area is more valuable for housing. That is simply not so-- it is more valuable than housing land as commercial space. The concept of motorsport related business's is not irrelevent. Calder is now approximate to the city(in time) and only minutes from a major airport. To realize the whole potential only needs stable management to take it there with a clear sustainable plan for the whole precint. A thriving Thunderdome, drag track and extended circuit would be in all our interests.
Old 14 Oct 2007, 07:47 (Ref:2039650)   #31
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA
I tried to convince the powers at be to run the middle rounds of this years VMRC (AASA) series on the Calder & Winton short tracks but the answer I got was the competitor groups didn't want it so it didn't happen.

I do remember Mal Rose in his AUSCAR doing demo laps very sideways at a Calder truck meeting on the short track many years ago which was impressive.
It is unfortunate that the Calder short track only gets used at the day night. Even for private practice, personally I travel to Winton because the Calder long circuit doesn't tell you much about your set up except that you got out of 2 corners well!
As for Winton, well IMO the old track is vastly superior to the extended one when it comes to "character" and having a natural flow.
I can tell you that it may have been talked about with the executive of the competitor croups, but it didn't make the committees of the associations... Quite a few from my committee would be very supportive of one event on the short and 2 on the long.
Old 14 Oct 2007, 22:41 (Ref:2040359)   #32
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notso Swift
I can tell you that it may have been talked about with the executive of the competitor croups, but it didn't make the committees of the associations... Quite a few from my committee would be very supportive of one event on the short and 2 on the long.
Marshal the troups and organise yourselves so that ALL the competing groups ask for the short circuit and the promotor will do it. The VMRC is all about giving ther racers track time and what they want (within reason of course) as we've seen with some of the interesting race formats over the past year or two.

The other advantage is the short track races are quicker so they can fit more or higher lap count races as a bonus.
Old 15 Oct 2007, 04:31 (Ref:2040440)   #33
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't worry, I already have made a note and will be bringing it up
Old 16 Oct 2007, 11:05 (Ref:2041577)   #34
mjt57
Racer

mjt57 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With regards to Calder, wasn't there a rumor circulating a year or so ago that the state government was to inject a good few bucks into it? There was talk, as I recall about the future of Phillip Island before it got sold to Linfox, and that of the future of the F1 GP at its present location.

Redeveloping Calder into a world class F1 track would to me, sound like something that would garner public support. While Albert Park is a good track, being a once a year thing, it does cost a bit to set up, people to incovenience, traffic management, etc.

As for the Thunderdome most of teh circuit's in good nick, except for would be classed as "turn 4" or turn "1", depending on which way you're going. I did a Fasttrack thing in July and it was about the only bit that was breaking up and that we had to avoid.

It has bugger all facilities, though and that would need redoing.
Old 16 Oct 2007, 11:29 (Ref:2041591)   #35
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its more than Turns 1 and 4 - the track is sliding inwards - the wall along the tri-oval section has already been shored up once but the force of gravity is greater than Bob's bank balance and it is slowly sliding into the abyss!

The track itself can be seen adjacent to pit entry/exit on both ends to be forcing itself inwards. It won't be a simple resurface required to fix this.
Old 16 Oct 2007, 11:36 (Ref:2041601)   #36
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And they travelled, thru night and day to find the promised bitupave. And behold, they looked to the south , to the east and to the north. They travelled further, seeking the holy grail. And at last the arrived , upon a baren waste land surrounded by great banks, and there three wise men told them of a future , a future that would bring happiness and harmony to a persucuted people, and they would be free to rejoice in the love of their choice.

**** sorry, just dreamin,

so are others.
Old 16 Oct 2007, 17:22 (Ref:2041991)   #37
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjt57
Redeveloping Calder into a world class F1 track would to me, sound like something that would garner public support. While Albert Park is a good track, being a once a year thing, it does cost a bit to set up, people to incovenience, traffic management, etc.
Is this 2007, or 1982??

Bernie said back before signing the GP deal with South Australia that any race in Australia had to be a street race (sinking Calder & Sandown's hopes immediatley). Presumebly nothing has changed.
Old 16 Oct 2007, 21:19 (Ref:2042218)   #38
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Haha, gold!

A garbage dump would be an ideal backdrop to an F1 GP... Then again, Albert Park used to be a tip, I spose they could spruce it up a bit!
Old 23 Sep 2014, 21:09 (Ref:3456995)   #39
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
jd yort should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rather than start a new thread I thought I would dust this one off...

What is this latest Australian nascar revival referenced in the speedcafe article http://www.speedcafe.com/2014/09/23/...petree-nascar/

I couldnt find anything else about it.
Old 23 Sep 2014, 21:40 (Ref:3457005)   #40
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a circuit based series run at AASA meetings. We did a story on one of the cars last year running at Sandown on a Sprint day.
http://youtu.be/8Q7aIkWHjak
Old 24 Sep 2014, 09:31 (Ref:3457125)   #41
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
They're running some cars at the Truck meeting at Winton in a couple of weeks time apparently.
Old 24 Sep 2014, 11:40 (Ref:3457154)   #42
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
jd yort should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by inpitlane View Post
It's a circuit based series run at AASA meetings. We did a story on one of the cars last year running at Sandown on a Sprint day.
http://youtu.be/8Q7aIkWHjak
oh, that is disappointing. They have only been getting a handful of entries to those events from what I recall.