Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 21 Jul 2024, 20:52 (Ref:4220166)   #476
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That’s alright, I knew what you meant.
Old 22 Jul 2024, 11:02 (Ref:4220239)   #477
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Pure self indulgence post here. Apologies in advance. I see Bob and others posting photos here of their cycling adventures from times gone..... I never really got into cycling. I grew up in Africa, went to boarding (prep) school, and then Mum and Dad moved back to England when I was 14. I had a bike then but it was used to visit local friends only. My new (day)school was a train ride away in Kingston on Thames. As soon as I was 16 I got into motor bikes and used to ride them to school. My bicycle was gladly passed on to my brother.

I do actually have a bike now but I admit that our own Delta has ridden more miles on it than I have or ever will. (I lent it to Iain when he came to Phillip Island a few years ago.) It is still hanging up on the garage wall.

However my late Father was a very keen cyclist in his teens and like some of you people did, before I was born he rode bikes long distances in England... probably like Bob, cycling to racetracks to watch his much adored BRMs racing. (He lived in Bristol and Castle Combe was a regular visit.)
That continued until he met Mum and bought an old MGTC. He started working in Africa in his early twenties and transport was a Land Rover..

I never actually saw him ride a bike but heard the tales and saw photos.

Fast forward to when he was in his sixties, still working for Fyffes bananas, now in their London office. He came came home one day and announced to Mum he had borrowed a bike and was dong a Fyffes sponsored charity ride that weekend. No training or anything like that. The ride IIRC started in Hammersmith but certainly ended in Brighton. He was under strict orders from Mum to just do a few miles and she would drive with the support party and pick him up. Orders of dont do anything silly etc.

Fortunately I was in Aus otherwise I am sure I would have got roped in to join the ride myself.

The day of the ride came, and Dad headed off to the start point and set off towards Brighton. And just kept riding. He rode all the way to Brighton, much to Mum's distress. Many half his age gave up. Not Dad though. He was one of the last to arrive in Brighton, but he made it all the way, raising money for charity in the process. He came home by car though

I was looking through photos the other day and found a photo of him on the bike I believe in Brighton at the end of that ride, complete with yellow (bananas) T shirt on. I thought it was a good effort for a bloke in his sixties who hadnt sat on a bike for over 40 years.

None of his cycling enthusiasm wore off on me though. Im happy just to read about it here.

Dad is on the left.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4406.jpeg  
Old 22 Jul 2024, 13:14 (Ref:4220258)   #478
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That looks like it's Madeira Drive, Brighton, Chris, where they use to run the car and motorbike time trials.

And it's a small world; I used to be a supplier to Fyffes as well as the competition, Geest.
Old 22 Jul 2024, 13:30 (Ref:4220261)   #479
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ah! So that is why the leader of Le Tour wears a yellow jersey
Old 30 Jul 2024, 14:25 (Ref:4221156)   #480
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think I just spotted our Bob in a bike race in his youth.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1817875745374376155
Old 30 Jul 2024, 15:56 (Ref:4221179)   #481
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh! You mean the guy holding the bike at the end of the film? Roughly the same age bracket.
Old 30 Jul 2024, 16:00 (Ref:4221182)   #482
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
I think I just spotted our Bob in a bike race in his youth.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1817875745374376155
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 30 Jul 2024, 16:41 (Ref:4221199)   #483
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The truth;
Attached Thumbnails
RF 3 4 002.jpg   002.jpg   RF1 001 (2).jpg  

rf 56 001.jpg   rf 78 002.jpg   rf 90 001.jpg  

Old 30 Jul 2024, 16:44 (Ref:4221202)   #484
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!
Nice anti-fart integrated system ont the two first pics. Have on patent on this may be?
Old 3 Aug 2024, 16:01 (Ref:4221645)   #485
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!
Wonderful and well deserved gold medal for Remco Evenepoel flying in the Parisian streets. Including the epic rue Lepic.
Old 4 Aug 2024, 05:51 (Ref:4221710)   #486
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As mentioned a few days ago, I was supposed to do my 2nd ever gravel bike ride event yesterday in Norfolk, with Glorious Gravel. 85km taking in the Peddars Way and various off road tracks etc from Fakenham to Hunstanton and back.
Unfortunately it did not go to plan.
At about 1/3 distance I fell off on a narrow and tricky bit of the the Peddars Way and went over the handlebars, landing on my shoulder.
Spent 3 hours on my back in the dirt alternately being rained on and in the sun, waiting for an ambulance which never arrived, before the organisers got me to A&E.
Have badly broken my shoulder and upper arm. In a lot of pain. Have an appt with the fracture clinic on Tuesday to see what the way ahead is.
Currently dosed up on cocadomol and trying not to move.
This is what happens when you try and get a bit fitter!
Old 4 Aug 2024, 07:22 (Ref:4221714)   #487
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
'Sheet', sorry to hear that Andy. All the best for a full and speedy recovery. It sounds like given the multi-directional movement aspect of that part of the body the post op recovery will be a bit more complex than a straight broken arm or something.
Fingers crossed and all the best with it all. Get back to normal asap.
Old 4 Aug 2024, 07:53 (Ref:4221715)   #488
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
As mentioned a few days ago, I was supposed to do my 2nd ever gravel bike ride event yesterday in Norfolk, with Glorious Gravel. 85km taking in the Peddars Way and various off road tracks etc from Fakenham to Hunstanton and back.
At about 1/3 distance I fell off on a narrow and tricky bit of the the Peddars Way and went over the handlebars, landing on my shoulder.
Spent 3 hours on my back in the dirt alternately being rained on and in the sun, waiting for an ambulance which never arrived, before the organisers got me to A&E.
Have badly broken my shoulder and upper arm. In a lot of pain. Have an appt with the fracture clinic on Tuesday to see what the way ahead is.
Bad news Andy, I hope you recover soon
Old 4 Aug 2024, 09:51 (Ref:4221719)   #489
bauble
Veteran

England
Andy, like everyone on here, I wish you a full, speedy, and pain free recovery, it is frustrating being unable to offer practical help, so if you PM me an address, I will happily send you a few books/DVD to help pass the time you are inactive. Obviously I have no idea about your tastes in literature, or what you watch, so it will be racing oriented.

I hope the bike is alright, as I trust this little tumble () does not put you off cycling, perhaps you should watch Tom Pidcock's Olympic Gold Medal ride a few times, pick up a few tips on riding rough terrain.

So keep us all informed on progress, and Il carborundum Illegittimi'.
Best wishes.

Bob.
Attached Thumbnails
tom pidcock gold medal team gb great britain mountain bike tokyo 2020 olympics bike.jpg  
Old 4 Aug 2024, 18:09 (Ref:4221752)   #490
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Sorry for this, Andy. Might have been worse though. Red warning light is on, stay quite for a while if I may suggest, don't push your chance. Yes, you've been built tough!
Old 4 Aug 2024, 18:37 (Ref:4221758)   #491
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Peddars Way is an old Roman road , and parts of it have not had much maintenance since those times .
Have been along many parts of it on 4 wheels , and it is quite tough going , so on 2 wheels it is bound to be a lot harder .

Sorry to hear about your injuries , and hope you get better soon .
Old 4 Aug 2024, 22:11 (Ref:4221813)   #492
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks everyone for your good wishes, I am taking the pain killers and trying not to move much.
Will see what the clinic says on Tuesday. My sister (a physio) thinks, from my description, that they will operate but we will see.
Haven’t looked at the bike yet, it’s in the garage and I am staying put for the moment.
Sister reckons I won’t be playing golf, driving, or much else for up to a couple of months, maybe longer.
Work is also an issue as cannot type long bid answers with just one hand. No work= no pay - The disadvantage of being self employed.
Thank god for the Royal Navy pension scheme!
As for the a Peddars Way, where I fell off was very narrow & no more than a single cycle width. interestingly the organisers described the route as 2 out of 5 for difficulty and suitable for novices. My sister in law (an Ironman triathlete and very experienced off road cyclist, including competing in off road cycling events in the Yukon and Sweden) described it as “highly technical in parts, requiring an experienced bike handler”.
On the route setting day on Friday, one of the event staff fell off her bike and broke her hip, requiring a hip replacement yesterday. Near where I fell, someone else broke their collar bone, another injured their elbow and yet another damaged their shoulder as well!!!!!
Motor racing is far less dangerous!!!
Old 5 Aug 2024, 04:43 (Ref:4221834)   #493
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Work might be the biggest issue because when a self employed is away for too long the market seem to forget about him. May be you can test speech recognition, many work fine now once you've understood how to deal with, then with one hand you can fix what has been wrongly interpreted and/or typed.
As to play golf again after a couple of months…
Old 5 Aug 2024, 11:57 (Ref:4221850)   #494
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Work might be the biggest issue because when a self employed is away for too long the market seem to forget about him. May be you can test speech recognition, many work fine now once you've understood how to deal with, then with one hand you can fix what has been wrongly interpreted and/or typed.
As to play golf again after a couple of months…
I may try speech recognition software but most likely course of action is to dictate stuff to my wife for her to type up!
Old 5 Aug 2024, 13:23 (Ref:4221862)   #495
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's a great idea. Of course her second word could be 'off'.

Sorry to hear about your woes.
Old 5 Aug 2024, 15:23 (Ref:4221875)   #496
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
That's a great idea. Of course her second word could be 'off'.

Sorry to hear about your woes.
Thanks, she volunteered!
Old 5 Aug 2024, 17:59 (Ref:4221893)   #497
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Afterwards she will know everything about your deepest secrets. Not an easy task to be a James Bond girl! More seriously, you're both lucky because this is a -rether- happy ending to what could have been a real drama. Good and fast recovery Andy.
Old 5 Aug 2024, 18:16 (Ref:4221897)   #498
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Afterwards she will know everything about your deepest secrets. Not an easy task to be a James Bond girl! More seriously, you're both lucky because this is a -rether- happy ending to what could have been a real drama. Good and fast recovery Andy.
She will only be typing up work stuff, not my 10-Tenths posts!
Old 6 Aug 2024, 20:21 (Ref:4222021)   #499
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Went to King’s Lynn QE Hospital fracture clinic today.
Have fractured proximal humerous in 3 or 4 places, one displaced. Have done the job properly!
Referred to Derby fracture clinic for further assessment.
Touch & go whether i will need an Op or not!
Old 6 Aug 2024, 21:31 (Ref:4222022)   #500
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Blimey you dont mss about do you. Certainly done a proper job on it. As before all the best for a full and speedy recovery. Fingers crossed it ends up a surgery free process.