Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 26 Aug 2005, 11:05 (Ref:1391727)   #476
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Its funny to see the liveries of not so long ago.

Take a squiz at the Larrymobile...

... the logos are on the doors.. horizontally... not diagonally like every car seems to be in V8Supercar at the moment
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 26 Aug 2005, 11:13 (Ref:1391736)   #477
paydirt
Racer

paydirt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One area I find interesting in these older cars is the roll cage...or lack thereof.!
Old 26 Aug 2005, 11:30 (Ref:1391747)   #478
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I haven't had time to do a search but can anybody tell me what happened to the two Glenn Seton Sierras, especially the one driven by Kurt Kratzman in 2L guise.
Old 26 Aug 2005, 12:00 (Ref:1391773)   #479
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Does anyone have any videos of the VK #05 "Big Banger" Holden Commodore of 1984 and '85?
Old 26 Aug 2005, 12:34 (Ref:1391796)   #480
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
jd yort should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=GTRMagic]So where did this oldie end up??

I wouldnt be surprised if that one ended up in some sort of Auscar demolition derby at Calder Park. I think we lost a few of the old Commodores there.
Old 26 Aug 2005, 13:15 (Ref:1391828)   #481
MHDT
Racer

MHDT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HMV will most probably be able to help you out, Greg.
For 1984 anyway...
Old 26 Aug 2005, 16:54 (Ref:1391979)   #482
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Barton
Does anyone have any videos of the VK #05 "Big Banger" Holden Commodore of 1984 and '85?
Of the 4 races the #05 car did in Australia in 1984,

- The Sandown 500 can be bought through duke video
- The Bathurst 1000 review is available, as well as part of the 1975-1985 Bathurst review video (and if you look around on the net in the right places, people sell full copies)
- The Motorcraft 300 at Surfers Paradise wasn't televised (if it was, it was delayed coverage on ABC)
- The forgotten about race that year, where #05 finished second (meaning the car wasn't unbeaten in Australia as so many publications seem to say, was the Australian Grand Prix support race at Calder, which was covered by Channel 7.

For 1985, when the HDT had no further use for it and it went the England, you'd have to try overseas to see if any of the Thundersaloon races were caught on film (unlikely, the BTCC barely had any TV at that point)

Or if the car went to the museum, there's no footage to see post-1984
Old 26 Aug 2005, 23:21 (Ref:1392234)   #483
Camaroz
Veteran

Camaroz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69

For 1985, when the HDT had no further use for it and it went the England, you'd have to try overseas to see if any of the Thundersaloon races were caught on film (unlikely, the BTCC barely had any TV at that point)

Or if the car went to the museum, there's no footage to see post-1984
Racer69,

There is more and more evidence being gathered and being offered that will verify that the 05 is in the Bathurst Museum and the 25 is in Queensland despite the published recollections of past drivers and owners.

One of the reasons that the AGP support races were not mentioned (deleted from history) was because some interested parties in these cars decided to only recognise CAMS sanctioned 'Championship' races as real history!!!
Old 28 Aug 2005, 00:10 (Ref:1392745)   #484
emjaya
Racer

Aland Islands
in a house
emjaya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaroz
that the 05 is in the Bathurst Museum.
It was once upon a time but not now.
Old 28 Aug 2005, 00:20 (Ref:1392750)   #485
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Quote:
Racer69,

There is more and more evidence being gathered and being offered that will verify that the 05 is in the Bathurst Museum and the 25 is in Queensland despite the published recollections of past drivers and owners.

One of the reasons that the AGP support races were not mentioned (deleted from history) was because some interested parties in these cars decided to only recognise CAMS sanctioned 'Championship' races as real history!!!
If "05" was so important though... why were you allowed to have your picture taken in it up until a few short years ago? Should this car not have been wrapped in cotton wool somewhere?

Could this all be a case of a certain former team owner not wanting to look like he dudded a customer 20 years ago by selling them the 2nd string car... nor a current supporter by having them rebuild the second string car as the winner???
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 28 Aug 2005, 07:08 (Ref:1392821)   #486
Camaroz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic

Could this all be a case of a certain former team owner not wanting to look like he dudded a customer 20 years ago by selling them the 2nd string car... nor a current supporter by having them rebuild the second string car as the winner???
GTRM,

I have spoken to the 'customer' of twenty years ago and he was fully aware at the time that he was purchasing the #25, took delivery of the #25, raced the #25 as #52 and was then a part of selling the #25/#52 to DTV in the UK! He was never dudded, nor thinks he was dudded to this day.
Old 28 Aug 2005, 07:38 (Ref:1392827)   #487
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I hope Mr Farrell, and indeed Mr Cleland Sr were happy with their purchase of car #25.

When it returned here for Mr Champion's restoration team to rebuild the car as #05, it seems no alarm bells went off......
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 28 Aug 2005, 08:09 (Ref:1392836)   #488
Camaroz
Veteran

Willy van Wersch bought the car back to Aus in 2000. It was later sold on. The confusion over the identity only reared it's head at Sandown and then Bathurst in 2003 (the 25 years of Commodore (production) as the 25 years of Commodore at the mountain is this year!!!) - when the second VK HDT Group C appeared and claimed #05 status. From that date there has been a lot of further research and verification that was to be presented to the current owner, however, a recent version of events published in AMC by a previous owner/driver has bought things to a premature head.
Old 28 Aug 2005, 10:02 (Ref:1392874)   #489
emjaya
Racer

Aland Islands
in a house
the pea and shell game

I have no doubt that Mr Farrell bought No 25 and no doubt that Mr Champion now owns No 05,what interests me is how is it so.
Old 28 Aug 2005, 10:45 (Ref:1392897)   #490
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by emjaya
I have no doubt that Mr Farrell bought No 25 and no doubt that Mr Champion now owns No 05,what interests me is how is it so.
I know.. I know!!

Someone broke into the Bathurst museum, and swapped the #05/#25 car for the #05/#05 car before Mr Champion had it rebuilt.. without the BCC knowing about it, without a soul seeing it....

Surely these cars must come with some sort of provenance, a certificate of authenticity... namely a CAMS logbook that details the races the car attended, which chassis number related to which car etc etc which could prove empirically which one is which.

I presume if Mr Champion has the #25 car (which is still a historically significant vehicle, but you wouldnt lavish a zillion bucks on the 2nd placed car... undriven by Pedro Perfecto) he will be checking his provenance, and going hunting for those around him who said this car was the real #05!

As an aside, a cynic may suggest that having someone willing to spend a mint on restoring an old race car, as well as supporting a racing team for a stepson might have something to do with one another... the cynic wonders too whether Bevvo has some role to play here... and whether this sits on top of the many reasons (besides Mr Brock's new love interest) for the public implosion of their relationship??
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 28 Aug 2005, 12:24 (Ref:1392940)   #491
Monaro
Racer

Australia
Bathurst
Monaro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Many moons ago I checked out the 05 in the museum.Engine No. PB05 so I presume that the engine is out of the 05 car
Old 28 Aug 2005, 13:44 (Ref:1392967)   #492
emjaya
Racer

Aland Islands
in a house
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
Someone broke into the Bathurst museum, and swapped the #05/#25 car for the #05/#05 car before Mr Champion had it rebuilt..
Or when the Bathurst museum sent the 05 car to have an engine installed by HDT,was 25 returned in its place?

Which would explain why upon 05s return from HDT,the museum curator thought it was a different car to the one sent away?

Like I said,Mr Farrell bought 25 and Mr Champion now owns 05,two different cars,how and why is the question.

Old 29 Aug 2005, 00:49 (Ref:1393373)   #493
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
It was once upon a time but not now.
I think it is in the UK now.
Old 29 Aug 2005, 01:33 (Ref:1393388)   #494
Camaroz
Veteran

Quote:
Or when the Bathurst museum sent the 05 car to have an engine installed by HDT,was 25 returned in its place?

Which would explain why upon 05s return from HDT,the museum curator thought it was a different car to the one sent away?

Like I said,Mr Farrell bought 25 and Mr Champion now owns 05,two different cars,how and why is the question.

emjaya,

The time lines don't match for the above scenario. The Farrell #25 went to the UK prior to the #05 being delivered to the Bathurst Museum in the first instance (October 1985?)
Old 30 Aug 2005, 03:30 (Ref:1394156)   #495
emjaya
Racer

Aland Islands
in a house
Quote:
emjaya,

The time lines don't match for the above scenario. The Farrell #25 went to the UK prior to the #05 being delivered to the Bathurst Museum in the first instance (October 1985?)
I thought it was late 84/early 85 that 05 went,arrived and was sent straight back to HDT.The story as I heard it was that Cleland saw 25,wanted to buy 25,then saw 05,wanted 05 and 05 is the car that went o/s, 25 went to the museum in its place after Farrell had raced it.

I could be wrong and probably am,it was a long time ago and I wasn't interested at the time.
Old 31 Aug 2005, 12:35 (Ref:1395477)   #496
Henry
Veteran

Australia
hero to zero in two seconds flat
Henry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I thought it was late 84/early 85 that 05 went,arrived and was sent straight back to HDT.The story as I heard it was that Cleland saw 25,wanted to buy 25,then saw 05,wanted 05 and 05 is the car that went o/s, 25 went to the museum in its place after Farrell had raced it.

I could be wrong and probably am,it was a long time ago and I wasn't interested at the time.
I should just get off my butt and grab the book... I thought that the 1985's Great Race coverage by Bill Tuckeyalluded to the VK being handed to the museum during race week, along with the replica of the 1968 winner (it was only a 186S, but apparently they've rebuilt it with a 327 since).... but my memory is getting a little hazy with advancing age... must get that damn book out again...
Old 1 Sep 2005, 00:20 (Ref:1396013)   #497
MHDT
Racer

MHDT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Issue four of the 'Brock' Magazine has an extensive article on rebuilding of the VK Group C '05' car, written directly or indirectly by the restorer (Van R--------).

It clearly mentioned chassis # 7 (the second car) was sent to John Farrell, and then on to the UK; and chassis # 6 went to the Bathurst museum, minus its engine and drivetrain...
Old 1 Sep 2005, 01:17 (Ref:1396028)   #498
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry
...along with the replica of the 1968 winner (it was only a 186S, but apparently they've rebuilt it with a 327 since)...
Not only that, but I think it had an automatic transmission in it as well!

I may be getting confused, but wasn't the replica nicked at some point during that week?
Old 1 Sep 2005, 02:52 (Ref:1396042)   #499
Henry
Veteran

Australia
whoops, double post.
Old 1 Sep 2005, 02:53 (Ref:1396043)   #500
Henry
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHDT
Issue four of the 'Brock' Magazine has an extensive article on rebuilding of the VK Group C '05' car, written directly or indirectly by the restorer (Van R--------).

It clearly mentioned chassis # 7 (the second car) was sent to John Farrell, and then on to the UK; and chassis # 6 went to the Bathurst museum, minus its engine and drivetrain...
What can we deduce from this? Which chassis is Peter Champion's? And if #6 was the 1984 winner, which car were they rebuilding?

And WD Jr, that sounds about right, although I can't remember exactly when it got flogged... the thieves probably brought it back disappointed.