Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 11 Apr 2015, 21:59 (Ref:3526257)   #476
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstock View Post
where are the fans

ive heard or seen little promotion on mainstream media.
you've probably just answered your own question.

promotion and motorsport.. hardly goes hand in hand in this country. If they want people to turn up.. they need to tell the public when, where, how much and who is racing.. long before the event. actual updates during the events would also help create interest in those that can't make it. links to live timing etc. during one of the 'summer' meetings.. there was a post late Sunday afternoon on the NZV8 facebook page encouraging people to attend the meeting that was almost over? incredible! there facebook page needs a serious over hauling. more details.. less fluff!
Old 11 Apr 2015, 22:09 (Ref:3526261)   #477
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Metalman Grand Final Live Timing
Old 11 Apr 2015, 22:10 (Ref:3526263)   #478
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Results
Old 12 Apr 2015, 00:28 (Ref:3526292)   #479
Worsel
Rookie

New Zealand
Worsel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bargs

What happened with Bargs, there for qualifying, not in race?
Old 12 Apr 2015, 03:15 (Ref:3526320)   #480
superstock
Rookie

New Zealand
lower hutt
superstock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nothing being shown on tv from puke
but that's understandable . wouldn't think anybody would make anything

the teams are probably racing for their sponsors.

probably more cars sitting in in garages than racing today

but if I lived in Auckland id go for a look
Old 12 Apr 2015, 03:54 (Ref:3526329)   #481
Environmentalist177
Rookie

New Zealand
New Zealand
Environmentalist177 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I reckon there will be a Few TLX's beating the SuperTourers in Race 3....
Old 12 Apr 2015, 04:35 (Ref:3526335)   #482
superstock
Rookie

New Zealand
lower hutt
I reckon the tlx looks better and sounds awesome
Old 12 Apr 2015, 07:55 (Ref:3526357)   #483
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstock View Post
nothing being shown on tv from puke
but that's understandable . wouldn't think anybody would make anything

the teams are probably racing for their sponsors.
FYI. The V8ST,TLX and TL cars were filmed over the weekend courtesy of Ssangyong New Zealand, and their contracted TV production company, Perspective Group, on a delayed basis, I am not sure when TV3 will show the racing on their CRC Motorsport program but for sure it will be shown.
Old 12 Apr 2015, 08:23 (Ref:3526364)   #484
superstock
Rookie

New Zealand
lower hutt
thank you

the ssangyong series comes across well on tv.

great to see Kenny smith racing. a true legend
Old 12 Apr 2015, 10:46 (Ref:3526413)   #485
bluespur
Racer

bluespur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
went and had a look today - thought the V8 races were pretty good - not as much difference as I thought might have been between ST and TLX - yes there was a couple of seconds per lap but at least both groups now know what they are dealing with to arrange some sport of parity

sure hope that both groups do get to work and sort out an acceptable formula for them both to race together

must say that I was impressed with the standard of TL cars and drivers - their last stand alone race was great - hopefully it will shown that there certainly is a future for this class as either a feeder or standalone one - do not believe that they should be lumped in at the back of ST/TLX field - they are good enough on their own
Old 12 Apr 2015, 20:39 (Ref:3526780)   #486
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluespur View Post
went and had a look today - thought the V8 races were pretty good - not as much difference as I thought might have been between ST and TLX - yes there was a couple of seconds per lap but at least both groups now know what they are dealing with to arrange some sport of parity

sure hope that both groups do get to work and sort out an acceptable formula for them both to race together

must say that I was impressed with the standard of TL cars and drivers - their last stand alone race was great - hopefully it will shown that there certainly is a future for this class as either a feeder or standalone one - do not believe that they should be lumped in at the back of ST/TLX field - they are good enough on their own
Good that the weather played ball too. 2 seconds per lap is not insurmountable by any stretch - would be good if more ST's came out to play to make a really decent sized grid of "new shape" cars. For the V8SC meeting in November who knows? Maybe that will happen. If you ended up with a grid of 30 cars (like the old days) even if 30 - 40% of them were old shape it would still be a good spectacle! I might even go...
Old 12 Apr 2015, 21:23 (Ref:3526795)   #487
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Two seconds a lap for a different class merely shows that there IS a different class. I can't see any spectator seeing that as an issue. Bunches of cars spread out around a circuit where viewing is such that you can only ever see about 25% of the track from even the best vantage point, is surely what we want anyway?

The cars are similar enough in looks to confuse any casual observer anyway, so I just can't see why there is ever any opposition to a decent sized mixed grid.

I gather that they were a bit stretched for marshals, given that I noticed most of the regulars were at Hampton Downs. I worry that too few marshals on a post could compromise driver safety, especially in the event of a major incident or fire, where it is imperative that extinguishers are deployed within 30 seconds. Race suits are not fireproof.
Old 12 Apr 2015, 23:19 (Ref:3526820)   #488
JamesK
Racer

JamesK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting,
MSNZ had published 9th April. an Official Bulletin stating that amendments to the Sanctioned series supplementary regulations, Round 5 of the NZSupertourer Championship to be held at Pukekohe on the 11-12th April has been cancelled.
Old 12 Apr 2015, 23:45 (Ref:3526825)   #489
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
I think things must have been rather fluid at that point. Perhaps they will tighten up over the winter, I really hope that we get a much better turnout of ST's in the spring to make this thing really work. There are 18 or so cars out there, add 5 (realistically as I don't think we will see the Falcon again) TLX's and then 10+ TL's and we have ourselves a proper sized grid.
Old 13 Apr 2015, 01:35 (Ref:3526836)   #490
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Putting them on the same grid appears to have worked wonders. It has been a while since anything positive at all has been spoken about with regards to V8ST or NZV8, but it is happening right now.

Include the TL's of course, and if any category manages to overflow the grid (40+) then they can break out into their own category (again). This is unlikely to happen, but say if for example 12-15 ST's come back and all 5 TLX's on one grid, with 20 plus TL's on a second grid would be acceptable to split. Any less than that and they must be on the same grid for the spectators if nothing else.

Meanwhile, behind the scenes people can beaver away at viable options for parity in the short term, and where touring car racing in NZ is heading for the longer term. They need a 2 year, 5 year and 10 year plan to begin with, and get buy in from people outside of their own little bubble.
Old 13 Apr 2015, 02:41 (Ref:3526839)   #491
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We really enjoyed this weekends event at Puke. I was impressed just how clean the racing was all weekend, especially when the TL's joined in as well. The slowest TL got lapped twice by the fastest ST, but they did not seem to hinder the faster cars in any way, shape or form. Well done

Pity about the crowds though, but its to be expected when the promotional time fell into nano seconds. One thing I didn't like was the fact that a weekend pass cost $25 (cost effective), but then you had to pay the same amount for just the Sunday, but that is seriously my only sticking point with the weekend.

The final 25 lap race was really exciting I thought. There were rumours up and down pitlane that the TLX's would turn the wick up for that final race. Whether that happened for the full TLX field I don't know, but supposedly the Lance Hughes car had been 'upped' somewhat (they were in the garage next to us). But who cares....turn them up to volume 11 as far as I am concerned.

I also think any off-season parity could be easier than what some people think. I spent a lot of my time talking with owners of most of the cars. The vibe was positive, everyone was happy to be there, and everyone was keen to see that final race.

I saw some data that suggested the max speed down the back straight was only a handful of kph difference. The key areas are mid corner speed and braking, not really a HP or torque issue. So 'parity' (god I hate that word) could be as simple as the same Brembos for both car types, and then up the TLX tyre size from a 260 to a 280. I don't really think its necessary to have them all run the same tyre manufacturer, as one TLX competitor said to me that Dunlop have always been good to them over the years...fine, stick with the Dunnies, but get some bigger ones. The ST's can just run their standard tyre and brake package. If that happens, then the P word might be very close.

But anyway, that's for the boffins to sort out over the winter break.

The pitstop rule for the last race was a bit bung, but once again, who cares. The fastest car won, which is what its all about. And Puke had to have its last shot with some rain unsettling the nerves of a few, but some panicked a bit and chucked on wets. But for most you could see the rain was very light, and only really affected turns 1, 2 and 3, so to stay on slicks was the best way.

The blood pressure rose a tad when Andre had a 3 second lead over the Smeg car, and then got caught up with a bit of lapped traffic coming over the hill. I believe he won by 4 hundredths of a second! The race pace for the SBR car was just sensational, and it is clear that Andre has upped his game big time, and I will go as far as to say that if you chucked SVG and Murph back in to the mix on this weekend, then I reckon Andre would have given them a run for their money. Pity about the diff issue for R2, but that's racing.

I think that this weekend proved without a doubt that the 2 can work together, so that's the first hurdle done with. I look forward to the new category (whatever it will be called?) making headway in prep for the SC meeting in November.

We just need more of the garaged ST's to come out and play....
Old 13 Apr 2015, 03:50 (Ref:3526851)   #492
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
There were rumours up and down pitlane that the TLX's would turn the wick up for that final race. Whether that happened for the full TLX field I don't know, but supposedly the Lance Hughes car had been 'upped' somewhat (they were in the garage next to us). But who cares....turn them up to volume 11 as far as I am concerned.
why did you bring it up then?
Old 13 Apr 2015, 03:56 (Ref:3526852)   #493
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
I think things must have been rather fluid at that point. Perhaps they will tighten up over the winter, I really hope that we get a much better turnout of ST's in the spring to make this thing really work. There are 18 or so cars out there, add 5 (realistically as I don't think we will see the Falcon again) TLX's and then 10+ TL's and we have ourselves a proper sized grid.
why? what have you heard about the TLX Falcon?

I'm surprised there has been no talking about what is happening with the 3rd TLX Commodore. is it going to remain as a NZV8.. or has the new owner got different plans for the car.
Old 13 Apr 2015, 03:57 (Ref:3526854)   #494
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
It will be an interesting weekend just to see what comes out in the wash when the cars run together.
well the world didn't end
Old 13 Apr 2015, 04:30 (Ref:3526862)   #495
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
why did you bring it up then?
To see if i could get a reaction from the village idiot.

Seems to have worked.... lol
Old 13 Apr 2015, 04:47 (Ref:3526865)   #496
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:

Old 13 Apr 2015, 05:26 (Ref:3526869)   #497
20b
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland
20b should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
why? what have you heard about the TLX Falcon?

I'm surprised there has been no talking about what is happening with the 3rd TLX Commodore. is it going to remain as a NZV8.. or has the new owner got different plans for the car.
Pretty sure the Varney's still own the Falcon unless they've flogged it off to someone.

The third Commodore chassis was bought then the owners never ended up doing anything with it, but it's now been sold off and is going to be completed...
Old 13 Apr 2015, 06:10 (Ref:3526880)   #498
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Do you reckon (and I wonder if we now should be on a new thread) that with the imminent V8SC move away from solely V8 format, that we might go the same way here? Like turbo Skylines running an ST or TLX chassis?
Old 13 Apr 2015, 06:41 (Ref:3526884)   #499
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:

pretty predictable response from you old fanny can give.. but can't take it did you cry yourself to sleep after Ross in his TLX finished ahead of a couple of ST your comments about the Nissan TLX seem pretty silly now, huh?
Old 13 Apr 2015, 06:42 (Ref:3526885)   #500
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20b View Post
Pretty sure the Varney's still own the Falcon unless they've flogged it off to someone.

The third Commodore chassis was bought then the owners never ended up doing anything with it, but it's now been sold off and is going to be completed...
completed as a?