Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 22 Oct 2012, 06:41 (Ref:3155723)   #526
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
International business model? They havent held a race off shore yet?

I cant see them racing OS if the pros dont outweigh the cons financially.

That said - none of this answers why you feel Tony George would be the most appropriate person to run Indycar
Old 22 Oct 2012, 08:24 (Ref:3155763)   #527
Ncrdbl1
Rookie

Ncrdbl1 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
International business model? They havent held a race off shore yet?

I cant see them racing OS if the pros dont outweigh the cons financially.

That said - none of this answers why you feel Tony George would be the most appropriate person to run Indycar
First i stated the international business model they are EXPLORING, that mean looking into. Also they have held races OS for the past two years. That is unless Sao Paulo somehow became a part of the US without me knowing it. Why do i think TG would be better than what we have now? Well the last time we had the current type of mentality running US open wheel the Indy 500 TV ratings dropped from 17.4 to 6.6. Izod and Firestone both unhappy and both could be gone from the series in the next couple of years. When teams are turned away because they could not secure an engine it says something about the direction the series is headed.
Old 22 Oct 2012, 10:19 (Ref:3155807)   #528
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncrdbl1 View Post
That is unless Sao Paulo somehow became a part of the US without me knowing it.
Apologies more clarification needed in my post - I was suggesting off shore being outside of North and South America. I dont think racing in Canada, Mexico or Brazil is a problem for the series.

Quote:
Why do i think TG would be better than what we have now? Well the last time we had the current type of mentality running US open wheel the Indy 500 TV ratings dropped from 17.4 to 6.6. Izod and Firestone both unhappy and both could be gone from the series in the next couple of years. When teams are turned away because they could not secure an engine it says something about the direction the series is headed.
The engine issue shouldnt be a long term issue facing the series and a necessary evil with the benefit of new engine manufactuers

Nor is the suggestion that overseas racing is the reason the tv ratings dropped from 17.4 to 6.6

I am not sure what TG is going to bring to the table to reverse the trend over the past 10 - 15 years? He had a crack at running the series in the split, he had a crack running a unified series and both weren't sustainable? Rather than say why Randy's Indycar isnt working - please explain how TG's Indycar take 3 is going to work?

Last edited by D.R.T.; 22 Oct 2012 at 10:31.
Old 22 Oct 2012, 13:21 (Ref:3155877)   #529
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
The split was NOT the cause of Indy Cars problems. In it's prime, in it's glory days Indy Car was never what NASCAR has been for the past 30 years. Outside of Indy it's TV numbers were never near what we see at an average NASCAR Cup race. Even when it was the only game in town it's TV numbers were never near NASCAR numbers outside of Indy. It has ALWAYS been a clique sport with maybe 3 million core fans. Most Indy Car races outside of Indy saw TV ratings in the high 2s and low 3's with an occasional 4 for Long Beach. As for Indy itself. The Daytona surpassed the Indy 500 in TV ratings BEFORE the IRL was formed. From the creation of CART to 1994 the 500 lost 10 million households in TV viewership. The split was a result of the problems Indy Car racing had not the cause of the problems.
The split....Tony George.... was not the cause of Indycar's problems; it was the cause of its collapse. The Speedway went the way of a goofy skeletal series filled with 2nd raters whilst the 'strong' series had only a few low to middle profile races. The die was cast and OW became severely weakened. How Indycar weighted in relation to NASCAR is relevant only sofar as Indycar would've remained a unified force, capable of holding her own. Whether she was in second place or top dog is irrelevant.
Old 22 Oct 2012, 14:55 (Ref:3155895)   #530
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm interested as to where TG is going to get his money from to buy out his mother and his sisters. There was a rumour that Gerald Forsythe 'might' return to AOWR and he and Kevin Kalkhoven have just put Cosworth up for sale.
Old 24 Oct 2012, 01:21 (Ref:3156805)   #531
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A couple of nuggets for a Tuesday.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2012...YCAR/121029936

http://blogs.indystar.com/racingexpe...bout-unifying/
Old 24 Oct 2012, 03:18 (Ref:3156833)   #532
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Randy Bernard is truly out these guys are bigger idiots than I thought.

PS. Nice meeting you at Petit Le Mans HJJ.
Old 24 Oct 2012, 06:17 (Ref:3156854)   #533
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
If Randy Bernard is truly out these guys are bigger idiots than I thought.

They've always been idiots, what's new?

I don't know why such moves by the irl are always such a surprise to people. If there is a decision to be made, it's always the wrong one. It's been going on for 20 years yet it's always so shocking to some.

Rodeo randy was always just an expendable sock puppet for the family, when he's no longer convenient and they need an excuse, he'll take a walk off the pier.
Old 24 Oct 2012, 10:17 (Ref:3156921)   #534
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
They've always been idiots, what's new?

I don't know why such moves by the irl are always such a surprise to people. If there is a decision to be made, it's always the wrong one. It's been going on for 20 years yet it's always so shocking to some.

Rodeo randy was always just an expendable sock puppet for the family, when he's no longer convenient and they need an excuse, he'll take a walk off the pier.
Like I have said before: They have shot themselves so many times in the foot/other appendages that they are out of appendages to shoot themselves in.

And again I will ask what everyone is fighting over: Control of what?
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 24 Oct 2012, 10:50 (Ref:3156943)   #535
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Do the George/Hulman family own the Indianapolis Motor Speedeway? The naming rights to the 500 etc?
What is it with this family & why do they have such an interest in AOWR?

Would it be best if they disappeared?
Old 24 Oct 2012, 11:19 (Ref:3156955)   #536
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
Do the George/Hulman family own the Indianapolis Motor Speedeway? The naming rights to the 500 etc?
What is it with this family & why do they have such an interest in AOWR?

Would it be best if they disappeared?
Tony Hulman bought the IMS in November in 1945, this included the name and the Wing and Wheel logo.

The Hulman George family currently own the IMS, along with naming rights, logo, merchsandise and the museum, as well as the IRL. I suppose they still own it because as a stand alone event it still makes money.
Old 25 Oct 2012, 00:46 (Ref:3157276)   #537
HJJ
Veteran

United States
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
Same here .

We have to do it again next year. Maybe get FOD to buy us beers.

BWTM:

http://www.ibj.com/the-score-2012-10...AMS/post/37437
Old 25 Oct 2012, 18:15 (Ref:3157609)   #538
pach233
Veteran

United States
Greenville, SC
pach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Reports that there will be an Indycar race in Italy next year during that month of September where a race is sorely needed.

http://www.racer.com/report-indycar-...rticle/265403/
Old 25 Oct 2012, 18:35 (Ref:3157621)   #539
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by pach233 View Post
Reports that there will be an Indycar race in Italy next year during that month of September where a race is sorely needed.

http://www.racer.com/report-indycar-...rticle/265403/
There's nothing in Autosport about it.
Old 25 Oct 2012, 19:04 (Ref:3157633)   #540
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can't really differentiate between George and Bernard, myself. I fail to see anything special that Bernard's done beyond make big promises and never deliver.

Fact remains, the series isn't turning a profit, the TV ratings are wretched, there's still a spec car, the owners still have their pawns...it's just like Georgian era IRL.

I don't think George or Bernard really are right for this job.
Old 25 Oct 2012, 19:19 (Ref:3157642)   #541
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
There's nothing in Autosport about it.
It's in the magazine, page 25. Racer pretty much copy and pasted the article, though.
Old 25 Oct 2012, 19:35 (Ref:3157650)   #542
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce View Post
It's in the magazine, page 25. Racer pretty much copy and pasted the article, though.
I looked at the on-line edition and it wasn't under the Indy section; fairenough. We'll just have to see, .
Old 25 Oct 2012, 22:18 (Ref:3157716)   #543
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
It'd be interesting to see how many would turn up to an Italian race. The Andretti name might trigger a little interest. Mugello makes sense, Imola and Monza, less so.

As for who runs Indycar - anyone but mad King George. A convicted pyromaniac would do less damage.
Old 26 Oct 2012, 13:57 (Ref:3158015)   #544
petemx5
Rookie

petemx5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As much as I would love to see another road course added in the Sept gap, I'm extremely skeptical that they would be able to pull off a trip to Europe next year. It is good to see some interest from the promoters over there though (if the online SPEED article is to be believed).

Hey, what ever happened to Providence RI? I was kind of hoping that would materialize in a Sept time slot.
Old 26 Oct 2012, 15:27 (Ref:3158066)   #545
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
They couldn't get everything sorted before the schedule was supposed to come out. Also, Providence was going to be a week after Mid Ohio if it got on the calendar.
Old 26 Oct 2012, 15:37 (Ref:3158078)   #546
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Do the Italians really want to see a load of ugly spec cars? If this were 1990s there might be some interest.
Old 26 Oct 2012, 15:37 (Ref:3158079)   #547
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Sad News - Pam Jenkins: Longtime Indianapolis-based broadcaster Bob Jenkins and friends are mourning the loss of his wife, Pam, who died Thursday evening due to a rare form of brain cancer. She had been in and out of the hospital since April. The Jenkins were married 44 years, and she was his pride and joy, at her side throughout this difficult period. He announced his retirement in a bid to spend more time with her. They did not have children. The Liberty, Ind., native and Indiana University graduate is known for his work with ESPN, NASCAR, IndyCar, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and the NBC Sports Network.(Indianapolis Star), service info and more as it becomes available.(10-26-2012)
Old 26 Oct 2012, 17:00 (Ref:3158109)   #548
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Rabbit View Post
I can't really differentiate between George and Bernard, myself. I fail to see anything special that Bernard's done beyond make big promises and never deliver.

Fact remains, the series isn't turning a profit, the TV ratings are wretched, there's still a spec car, the owners still have their pawns...it's just like Georgian era IRL.

I don't think George or Bernard really are right for this job.
Bernard is hog tied by the family and always will be. They have their indy centric view of the world and that isn't going to change.
Old 26 Oct 2012, 19:04 (Ref:3158164)   #549
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Bernard is hog tied by the family and always will be. They have their indy centric view of the world and that isn't going to change.
I will grant you that. I guess I don't see this news as being news because anyone who runs it is set up to fail.
Old 26 Oct 2012, 21:08 (Ref:3158218)   #550
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Randy's out.

EDIT: Wait, no, now he isn't out. Apparently, Tony George and Zak Brown started a rumor that he was fired. This is almost at the point where it's funny. Almost.

Last edited by Jacques Rabbit; 26 Oct 2012 at 21:25.