Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Closed Thread

Old 2 Mar 2007, 09:27 (Ref:1855399)   #551
Eddie_harasym
Veteran

Eddie_harasym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems an odd situation to be in.

In Super Touring days there wasn't enough seats for top line drivers due to the cars costing a fortune, now the cars are relativly cheap (30K-50K) for a deceant car such as the Astra, and we can't get drivers with a budget to fill them!
Old 2 Mar 2007, 18:30 (Ref:1855731)   #552
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_harasym
It seems an odd situation to be in.

In Super Touring days there wasn't enough seats for top line drivers due to the cars costing a fortune, now the cars are relativly cheap (30K-50K) for a deceant car such as the Astra, and we can't get drivers with a budget to fill them!
Perhaps the drivers who wanted a ST career, have all moved on to series with better prospects? GT/LMP Racing seems experiencing a resurgence in popularity, having fought back from near extinction? It seems to be thriving in the US as well--Acura (Honda) is the latest manufacturer to join the series.
Old 3 Mar 2007, 10:32 (Ref:1857093)   #553
Tim Dunlop
Racer

England
Derby, United Kingdom
Tim Dunlop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Morning all.

Managed to get to Oulton Park yesterday to attend their general test. Took my camera with me as always, not much BTCC action in fact only one car out on track which was the Xero Competition Lexus IS200.
I guess noise must have been a problem with this car judging by the exhaust (see pic).
Not sure who was driving but according to Autosport Tommy Erdos had tested the car for the team last week at Silverstone.

Regards

Tim
Old 3 Mar 2007, 16:06 (Ref:1857222)   #554
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's probably Mark Jones. I remember that car was awfully loud at Silverstone with a misfire. Maybe the big exhaust means it hasn't been cured.
Old 3 Mar 2007, 16:17 (Ref:1857227)   #555
thereal_tdb
Rookie

thereal_tdb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The misfire was cured straight after Silverstone (loom fault)

It Was Mark Jones driving, Testing the new parts fitted after Tommy's appraisal of the car.
We have made suggnificant gains over the winter and with more new parts on the way, the car gets better and better!

And the extra silencer was to pass Oulton's strict noise limits!
Old 3 Mar 2007, 16:41 (Ref:1857237)   #556
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's good to see there's a team which has the time and the skills to improve the Lexus at last.

I'm hoping for great things from them this year.
Old 3 Mar 2007, 19:56 (Ref:1857335)   #557
Captain VXR
Racer

European Union
Bath
Captain VXR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves
It's good to see there's a team which has the time and the skills to improve the Lexus at last.

I'm hoping for great things from them this year.
BTC Racing also are improving their Lexuses. Let's hope that both teams move higher up the grid and enjoy the racing
Old 7 Mar 2007, 10:26 (Ref:1860458)   #558
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just officially announced at http://btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=419 - Dave Pinkney and Richard Marsh will be running a pair of '07 spec Alfa 156's. More details on the team etc to follow at the media day.
Old 7 Mar 2007, 11:22 (Ref:1860490)   #559
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
ATF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it just me or does this seem the worst year for knowing about every announcement before it's actually made?! It's not a bad thing but maybe there will be a surprise or 2 at the media day?

Good news about the Alfas, another 2 top cars but not sure whether the drivers are championship contenders?!
Old 7 Mar 2007, 11:40 (Ref:1860503)   #560
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they get the car in shape, i think Pinkney will be able to get top-3 results. He did well last year. He has good chances at Thruxton, since the Alfa has lots of horses under the bonnet. I expect Marsch to do less, all i have seen him do is crasing out of races from the last spot. I'm sure his money is good though, and that is an important quality aswell. That is, he's doing better in BTCC, or any racing series, than I am

Last edited by werner; 7 Mar 2007 at 11:42.
Old 7 Mar 2007, 11:58 (Ref:1860515)   #561
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be fair to Marsh, everything I've seen of him so far has been in the Peugeot 307, which was never really competitive - it'll be interesting to see how he goes in the Alfa.
Old 7 Mar 2007, 12:24 (Ref:1860536)   #562
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATF
Is it just me or does this seem the worst year for knowing about every announcement before it's actually made?! It's not a bad thing but maybe there will be a surprise or 2 at the media day?

Good news about the Alfas, another 2 top cars but not sure whether the drivers are championship contenders?!
Pinkney and Marsh running a pair of cars was no surprise, that they were Alfas and with Gary Ayles backing is a slight surprise. I don't know much abouot how good Marsh is, but Pinkney is a pretty credible driver. Not sure he'll get podiums, but he can do okay.
Old 7 Mar 2007, 13:15 (Ref:1860576)   #563
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
With the BTCC returning to some kind of form, the "return" of BMW and Alfa in some numbers, I might actually become a trackside spectator again this year, well I haven't been to BTCC rounds since 2000.

How much are they asking for trackside tickets nowadays?
Old 7 Mar 2007, 13:39 (Ref:1860591)   #564
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster
It's usually around the £25 mark or thereabouts, but according to the official site all the circuits are offering discounts if you book in advance online. I went to 7 rounds last year, and I'd heartily recommend it!

You might want to think about getting along to the media day next week - free admission to the general public
Old 7 Mar 2007, 14:25 (Ref:1860633)   #565
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Brands Hatch for one is £21 in advance.

It'll be good to see latest spec Alfa's out there, hopefully we can see David Pinkney and Richard Marsh achieve some good results with them. Interesting that Gary Ayles is involved, hasn't he been chasing Alfa Romeo for a works deal several times in the past ?
Old 7 Mar 2007, 14:54 (Ref:1860652)   #566
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Pinkney and Marsh running a pair of cars was no surprise, that they were Alfas and with Gary Ayles backing is a slight surprise. I don't know much abouot how good Marsh is, but Pinkney is a pretty credible driver. Not sure he'll get podiums, but he can do okay.
To be fair, everyone who had read other forums in the last few weeks knew that they were the Alfas. The only surprise is the involvement of Gary Ayles.

Last edited by Hazard; 7 Mar 2007 at 18:07. Reason: no promoting other forums
Old 7 Mar 2007, 16:31 (Ref:1860716)   #567
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATF

I know of at least two new entry surprises due for announcement at the media day. Ones that nobody on any forum has ever mentioned, too
Old 7 Mar 2007, 17:58 (Ref:1860775)   #568
Captain VXR
Racer

European Union
Bath
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01
I know of at least two new entry surprises due for announcement at the media day. Ones that nobody on any forum has ever mentioned, too
GR Asia
Old 7 Mar 2007, 18:04 (Ref:1860779)   #569
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
arena motorsport?

hell ill even chuck team jota and scuderia ecosse at you
Old 7 Mar 2007, 18:08 (Ref:1860783)   #570
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Fan
To be fair, everyone who had read other forums in the last few weeks knew that they were the Alfas. The only surprise is the involvement of Gary Ayles.
Mentioned it here also many threads ago in my 'who's driving where' round up. Not my fault you're all blind!
Old 7 Mar 2007, 18:31 (Ref:1860800)   #571
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
ATF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster
With the BTCC returning to some kind of form, the "return" of BMW and Alfa in some numbers, I might actually become a trackside spectator again this year, well I haven't been to BTCC rounds since 2000.

You definitely should go! 2000 was a bit of a low but it has been picking up ever since. 02, 04 and 06 have all been good, don't know why the odd years haven't been so good - hope 07 will change all that!!
Old 7 Mar 2007, 18:43 (Ref:1860811)   #572
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain VXR
GR Asia
Nope. They've already been mentioned.
A couple of others.
Old 7 Mar 2007, 20:08 (Ref:1860886)   #573
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
To be fair, and I'm sure Richard will agree, he's never claimed to be a top driver, just someone wanting to give it a shot and do the best that he can. The thing that has let him down so far has invariably been the team that he has driven for. It may turn out that this season doesn't live up to his hopes, but we should give him the chance to let his driving do the talking.

In terms of numbers, at least, it's all looking pretty good for this year. I may yet be convinced to be at Thruxton to see the opener...
Old 7 Mar 2007, 20:50 (Ref:1860907)   #574
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Thruxton? Are you looking at your 2004 diary Craig?

Good to see Richard Marsh getting himself a very good car like that. He looked a lot more competitive when the 307 had a decent engine in it at Silverstone, so in a latest spec Alfa Romeo, he should be capable of some decent results.
Old 7 Mar 2007, 22:07 (Ref:1861004)   #575
Captain VXR
Racer

European Union
Bath
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01
Nope. They've already been mentioned.
A couple of others.
My psychotic powers say Top Gear S2000 bodge jobs