Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 11 Jun 2014, 14:51 (Ref:3418631)   #551
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins View Post
Morning all,

Clarification time. RCE has never said that there is a Ford LMP1 project, when asked by RLM at the Nissan launch who might come back Andrew Cotton @racecared said "Ford & BMW" - he never said that they were coming back. This has largely been misunderstood.

Also we believe that there is a significant Ford motorsport programme in the offing - we do not know what it is but we suspect it involves Cosworth - we have run this story before - Here

We don't believe that there is going to be a manufacturer returning announcement on Saturday, but we think that there was one planned which was cancelled. Keep your eyes on Dailysportscar and Racecar Engineering sites on Friday.

Another clarification, yes I have signed NDA's with a number of organisations over the years, its standard practice.

As for Ferrari, its clear they are evaluating Le Mans, be crazy not to really, but then Jaguar has also evaluated it (and perhaps still is) - but we don't expect any announcement from them this week (or indeed any time soon).
Thanks for the clarification Sam. Speaking of the announcement, @chernaudi does remind me that this is the last year Dr.Ullrich directing the Audi Sport. The announcement could be that ACO/FIA decides to offer a crucial position for Wolfgang after his retirement from Audi?
Old 11 Jun 2014, 15:12 (Ref:3418656)   #552
LMP1
Rookie

LMP1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've always thought WEC would have suited BMW perfectly.

Cheaper than F1, a chance to race directly against rival Audi on a global stage and some open and fairly 'eco/green' rules which would have played right into their hands for marketing BMW cars' 'Efficient Dynamics' or however they brand them these days.
Old 11 Jun 2014, 21:52 (Ref:3418976)   #553
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for the clarification Sam.
Old 12 Jun 2014, 12:14 (Ref:3419176)   #554
manthey
Racer

manthey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yesterday, during the LM qualifying session, the italian eurosport host Villani told, about possible ferrari lmp1, an anecdote: before the 2014 Daytona, he asked Bertolini if he were fit and ready to race and the answer was " I don't know, maybe for the next 3 months I have to test something with full effort..."
Old 12 Jun 2014, 14:04 (Ref:3419222)   #555
GT3.14
Veteran

GT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
https://twitter.com/racetechmag/stat...73245305581569
Old 12 Jun 2014, 14:16 (Ref:3419233)   #556
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3.14 View Post
http://racetechmag.com/latest-news/s...t-le-mans.html

Quote:
It is understood that 'a new manufacturer' will be announced at the Le Mans press conference on Saturday morning, alongside Nissan which has already confirmed its participation in LMP1 next year. Much like the Japanese manufacturer, it's thought that Ferrari is planning to field a Box 56 car in the first year of the programme, followed by a full LMP1 campaign in 2016.
Busted, because that makes no sense assuming that new rules come in 2017. If they don't, then it obviously wouldn't matter.
Old 12 Jun 2014, 14:21 (Ref:3419237)   #557
Bandicoot17
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Bandicoot17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
http://racetechmag.com/latest-news/s...t-le-mans.html

Busted, because that makes no sense assuming that new rules come in 2017. If they don't, then it obviously wouldn't matter.
Doesn't it really depend on what the new rules are??

If they keep the rules regarding powertrains the same and make adjustments to the rules regarding aero would it really be that big of a deal if a team first ran in 16?? The majority of the teams are doing aero upgrades every season anyway so I wonder if this would be a major issue.
Old 12 Jun 2014, 14:21 (Ref:3419238)   #558
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
agree, what's the point to join in 2016 with a car that can be used only for one season. Anyway surely manufacturers know better than us how 2017 regs will be...
Old 12 Jun 2014, 14:25 (Ref:3419241)   #559
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandicoot17 View Post
Doesn't it really depend on what the new rules are??

If they keep the rules regarding powertrains the same and make adjustments to the rules regarding aero would it really be that big of a deal if a team first ran in 16?? The majority of the teams are doing aero upgrades every season anyway so I wonder if this would be a major issue.
I would hope it's just that, but now it has been mentioned so many times that it has given the impression that it would be a bigger deal. But maybe this has actually been blown out proportions because if it wasn't for the mention in the Nissan anouncement press release [reasoning why the program is for two years for now], we stil might not have heard about this.
Old 12 Jun 2014, 14:35 (Ref:3419249)   #560
Bandicoot17
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Quote:
I would hope it's just that, but now it has been mentioned so many times that it has given the impression that it would be a bigger deal. But maybe this has actually been blown out proportions because if it wasn't for the mention in the Nissan anouncement press release [reasoning why the program is for two years for now], we stil might not have heard about this.
I'd agree that it's been blown out of proportion.

When you look into it though it seems obvious what must change.
Manufacturers are liking the open engine rules and hybrid options, they aren't liking the way the cars look. They want manufacturer traits to be one show. To me the easiest ways to identify a car are the grill and headlights/taillights.
The ACO aren't going to change what's got manufacturers interested, but they want to get those manufacturers involved. If they want the cars to have a resemblance to street cars then they have to look at the aero regs!
Old 13 Jun 2014, 06:51 (Ref:3419759)   #561
Bandicoot17
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8mnHMnoLm0

Please don't be trolling me Ferrari
Old 13 Jun 2014, 06:56 (Ref:3419761)   #562
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
hahaha. They'll face an angry mob if they pull out at this rate.
Old 13 Jun 2014, 07:30 (Ref:3419780)   #563
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I'd agree that it's been blown out of proportion.

When you look into it though it seems obvious what must change.
Manufacturers are liking the open engine rules and hybrid options, they aren't liking the way the cars look. They want manufacturer traits to be one show. To me the easiest ways to identify a car are the grill and headlights/taillights.
The ACO aren't going to change what's got manufacturers interested, but they want to get those manufacturers involved. If they want the cars to have a resemblance to street cars then they have to look at the aero regs!
Personally, I think that LMP1's should look like prototypes. I would hate to see them look like glorified super cars. Just my opinion.
Old 13 Jun 2014, 08:06 (Ref:3419800)   #564
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
To me the easiest ways to identify a car are the grill and headlights/taillights.
How are you going to regulate road car grills, as a stupid looking (on a prototype) grill isn't going to make the car faster? Natural selection.

To me it is too Nascar: http://i.imgur.com/wtLJhOl.jpg
Old 13 Jun 2014, 09:23 (Ref:3419828)   #565
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
Personally, I think that LMP1's should look like prototypes. I would hate to see them look like glorified super cars. Just my opinion.
Yeah, agreed to that. If they want brand recognition, might as well race in an LMP2 with manufacturer clothing, or race in other silhouette series like NASCAR, Super GT, DTM, etc.
Old 13 Jun 2014, 10:16 (Ref:3419845)   #566
Bandicoot17
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Quote:
How are you going to regulate road car grills, as a stupid looking (on a prototype) grill isn't going to make the car faster? Natural selection.

To me it is too Nascar: http://i.imgur.com/wtLJhOl.jpg
Never said I liked it! It's just what I feel is likely to change.
The headlights and tailights are the most important ones I think. For instance you can tell the 98GT1 Porsche is a Porsche from the headlights, same with the Merc clk/clr.

I don't know how they'd do it though!
Old 13 Jun 2014, 12:56 (Ref:3419905)   #567
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The V12LMR is one of the worst perpetrators!
Old 13 Jun 2014, 15:52 (Ref:3419962)   #568
Richard T
Rookie

Sweden
Stockholm
Richard T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8mnHMnoLm0

Please don't be trolling me Ferrari
That is just wierd :S
Old 13 Jun 2014, 15:53 (Ref:3419963)   #569
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Not massively. Again, there are some 14 Ferraris racing at Le Mans this year.
Old 13 Jun 2014, 16:23 (Ref:3419971)   #570
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Never said I liked it! It's just what I feel is likely to change.
The headlights and tailights are the most important ones I think. For instance you can tell the 98GT1 Porsche is a Porsche from the headlights, same with the Merc clk/clr.

I don't know how they'd do it though!
The biggest thing preventing super-car looks on current LMPs is that they're basically made out of 5 tear drop-shaped "pods": one for the cabin and drivetrain and 4 smaller ones for wheels. The bodywork between them is incredibly low and mostly consists of aero devices and empty space.

So what I would do is:
1. increase the min. width of the cockpit (wihout making it boxy like the DPs) This will also prompt designers to use less vertical widshields.
2. limit apertures, especially at the front (send air over and around the cars like sports cars do, not through the cars as openwheels do).
3. limit sharp angles (via min. tangent radius rule similar to the one effectively used to stipulate curvy and uncluttered sidepods of post-2009 F1 cars behind the rear view mirror exclusion area) in order to keep the bodywork between the fenders and the nose/engine cover from being lowered so dramatically.

With a workable general shape manufacturers will happily add their styling cues with headlights/grilles etc. without the rules making them!

+ (regardless of the easthetics phylosophy) 4. get rid of the flat floor, compoensate the loss of DF by more efficient underbody aero. Implement new anti-take-off-at-yaw features/devices within the new floor design, lose the damn BHF and BHHs!

Last edited by Pandamasque; 13 Jun 2014 at 16:29.
Old 13 Jun 2014, 16:23 (Ref:3419972)   #571
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just say no to P cars that look like street cars.

That's what GT is for. You want to race your street car, go to GT...otherwise build a dedicated race car that doesn't look like a street car.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 13 Jun 2014, 16:35 (Ref:3419977)   #572
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
Just say no to P cars that look like street cars.

That's what GT is for. You want to race your street car, go to GT...otherwise build a dedicated race car that doesn't look like a street car.
Ferrari already have that covered with AF Corse 458 Italia GTE car.

Meanwhile, looking at Pandamasque's post, I can only agree on increasing the width of the cockpit area. Besides, Ferrari doesn't need to have styling cues when they make LMP1 cars in the future, other than their Formula One cars.
Old 13 Jun 2014, 16:47 (Ref:3419983)   #573
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
right.....I know they do.

The point I'm making here is that prototypes don't need to look like the street cars. Don't even need styling cues...
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 13 Jun 2014, 16:50 (Ref:3419984)   #574
Bandicoot17
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
right.....I know they do.

The point I'm making here is that prototypes don't need to look like the street cars. Don't even need styling cues...
The manufacturers interested obviously disagree based on what's being said by people like RLM.
Old 13 Jun 2014, 17:23 (Ref:3419996)   #575
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Paint it red with some yellow and a prancing horse and the whole world knows it's a Ferrari.