Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 29 May 2024, 10:57 (Ref:4210888)   #576
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
French motorways are great. Super smooth, hardly ever any hold ups, 80mph limit (in the dry). They take lane discipline seriously. Keep right unless passing, and it works because traffic levels are generally low. Lots of places to stop if nature calls and the services are generally superior to what you find in the UK.
Agreed, and in the run down to Le Mans there's usually plenty of GTs and supercars to get the juices stirred.
Old 29 May 2024, 12:20 (Ref:4210897)   #577
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
French motorways are usually toll so plenty of local do not use them, therefore they are often quite empty, speed limits are reduced if it is raining so beware. They are however not built in straight lines like the old roads and weave all over the countryside like a ****ed snake, In uk people campaign to stop motorways, in france everyone demands they come close to the town and there are junctions so they can use them. If travelling via rouen from calais once you see the sign for lemans from the caen motorway (just past the robert the diablo castle, turn off and use the old road even if you then rejoint the le mans motorway 5km down the d438. This will save you about 30km at least and probably 15 minutes. Check the map and you will see what i mean.
Old 29 May 2024, 12:29 (Ref:4210901)   #578
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If using the motorways make sure to get into the correct lane at the tollgate (depending on payment method)
Old 29 May 2024, 16:01 (Ref:4210918)   #579
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Don't be surprised to find the cash/Visa machine on the left of your car too…
Old 29 May 2024, 17:00 (Ref:4210923)   #580
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
that is an advantage if you are driving as your passenger will have to use thier credit car
Old 29 May 2024, 17:50 (Ref:4210926)   #581
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't have a passenger but I do have a toll token now.
Old 29 May 2024, 18:41 (Ref:4210931)   #582
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1 View Post
....I've never driven on the continent, so would be useful to know any differences in general etiquette/rules.....
Other than driving on the wrong side it is pretty simple. The tunnel chucks you straight onto the autoroute and most ferry ports have an easy route out (and plenty of traffic to follow) so it isn't a shock to the system.

If you use the Waze app on your phone it will warn of speed cameras.

In all my years of driving/passengering in France I haven't ever seen anyone trying the 'priority to the right' rule that supposedly exists and pulling out on you.

British cards are now accepted at all the toll booths and unmanned petrol stations so that's no longer something to worry about.
Old 29 May 2024, 19:01 (Ref:4210933)   #583
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
Other than driving on the wrong side it is pretty simple. The tunnel chucks you straight onto the autoroute and most ferry ports have an easy route out (and plenty of traffic to follow) so it isn't a shock to the system.

If you use the Waze app on your phone it will warn of speed cameras.

In all my years of driving/passengering in France I haven't ever seen anyone trying the 'priority to the right' rule that supposedly exists and pulling out on you.

British cards are now accepted at all the toll booths and unmanned petrol stations so that's no longer something to worry about.
The "Priority A Droite " still does exist on a lot of the non Autoroutes , so it is something to look out for .Best just to be careful on those roads
r
Old 30 May 2024, 14:27 (Ref:4210994)   #584
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not good news......
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2024-05-30 151701.png  
Old 30 May 2024, 14:53 (Ref:4211001)   #585
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Yep it would not be france without some sort of dispute.
Old 30 May 2024, 15:08 (Ref:4211006)   #586
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh great
Old 30 May 2024, 15:19 (Ref:4211012)   #587
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Hmm, I'm booked out 11th and back 17th. Although I'd be surprised if there weren't impacts from these stoppages in the following hours and days.
Old 31 May 2024, 07:11 (Ref:4211077)   #588
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Getting into Le Havre for 18:30 - not sure how long it will be to actually leave the port. I've read that the Beausejour 'reception' (that could be a translation thing) is open til 10pm.

If I'm arriving later than 10pm, am I still able to find a pitch and set up?
Old 31 May 2024, 07:33 (Ref:4211079)   #589
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
If it's the same as last year then there are no allocated pitches, just first come first served. The pitches are marked, so as long as the gates are open, you can find a pitch. I think the gates were open 24 hrs from Wednesday last year but not sure about Tuesday.
Old 31 May 2024, 07:52 (Ref:4211081)   #590
AstonGeoff
Veteran

England
Witney
AstonGeoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It looks like it might be more freight related than passenger services
https://www.connexionfrance.com/news...mpacted/660943

Interesting that the strike is for 4 hours between 10am and 4pm, I presume that's to allow for a two hour lunch break
Old 31 May 2024, 09:46 (Ref:4211097)   #591
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
...If I'm arriving later than 10pm, am I still able to find a pitch and set up?
Once the sites open there will be someone on the gates 24hrs a day. People arrive all through the nights anyway so it won't be unusual or unexpected.
Old 31 May 2024, 14:08 (Ref:4211116)   #592
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I've read that the Beausejour 'reception' (that could be a translation thing) is open til 10pm.
HI nicky! Obviously as you suggest its a translation thing may be its better to use check-in or welcome in this case. Have fun there and be safe on our roads. A reminder of the strong story between Écurie Écosse and Le Mans: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgncACe93-U
Old 1 Jun 2024, 00:53 (Ref:4211176)   #593
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
So, the second year to bring my son (now age 12) to the race.
Camping out at "Prairrie". New for us.
Anybody camped there before? No idea about the situation...

Looking forward to this one!
Old 1 Jun 2024, 08:04 (Ref:4211197)   #594
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
https://www.24h-lemans.com/fr/billet...10229146397203
Toilets, no electricity, free shuttles.
Old 1 Jun 2024, 08:12 (Ref:4211199)   #595
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Ooops, forgot to say that "Mulsanne straight" is said "Hunaudières" ou ligne droite des Hunaudières in French (in fact Route Départementale 338).
Old 1 Jun 2024, 19:42 (Ref:4211317)   #596
MonteCristo
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
MonteCristo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Any motorway tips for France in general? I've never driven on the continent, so would be useful to know any differences in general etiquette/rules.

Having said that, I've spent some time using the M60 in Manchester.. with which there is no etiquette.
Having been thrown into the deep end of French driving for the past week and a half from Australia with zero 'wrong side' driving...

Overall the road signs make a heck of a lot more sense than in England.

The drivers are just as crazy as those I experienced in England last month (plenty who speed and weave). If you want to be safe, just stick yourself in the far right lane, and puddle along behind one of the endless trucks that go 20km/hr under the speed limit.

Because I'm a certified cheapskate, no experience with tolls yet.

I assume if you have a LM24 parking permit you're fine to sleep in your car? I'm planning to build a pillow fort.
Old 2 Jun 2024, 05:40 (Ref:4211407)   #597
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCristo View Post
...Overall the road signs make a heck of a lot more sense than in England....
Wait until you get to a town where the first set of signs are a pair which say 'TOUTES DIRECTIONS' one way, and 'AUTRES DIRECTIONS' the other....

Quote:
I assume if you have a LM24 parking permit you're fine to sleep in your car? I'm planning to build a pillow fort.
I believe technically you aren't but as long as you don't put up a tent then you are ok.
Old 2 Jun 2024, 05:56 (Ref:4211409)   #598
MonteCristo
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Quote:
Wait until you get to a town where the first set of signs are a pair which say 'TOUTES DIRECTIONS' one way, and 'AUTRES DIRECTIONS' the other....
Aye-aye-aye-aye-aye.

However, I never said their signs are perfect . The very first town I got to, blasted through it at about 80, and felt like I was taking the old Masta kink at Spa. Looked at my wife and said that can't be right. After rapid googling, sure enough, town signs are speed limits!

Quote:
I believe technically you aren't but as long as you don't put up a tent then you are ok.
Cheers. I can't imagine that were would be a whole lot of policing going on at the far end of the circuit at, say, 1-5am.
Old 2 Jun 2024, 06:21 (Ref:4211415)   #599
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Cheers. I can't imagine that were would be a whole lot of policing going on at the far end of the circuit at, say, 1-5am.
Do I take it then that you're parking out at Arnage or Mulsanne? You should be fine out there. Are you just talking of sleeping overnight during the race?
Old 2 Jun 2024, 06:50 (Ref:4211418)   #600
MonteCristo
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Do I take it then that you're parking out at Arnage or Mulsanne? You should be fine out there. Are you just talking of sleeping overnight during the race?
Yeah, I've got a Mulsanne/Arnage pass, hoping to get in at Arnage on Saturday morning on the 15th around 8am.

Just looking to get a couple of hours shut-eye. My lovely co-travelling wife didn't want anything to do with it! So it'll just be me.