Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Sep 2024, 10:34 (Ref:4229051)   #601
flatlandsman
Veteran

Ireland
Daventry
flatlandsman has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I have no issue with people using colourful language, all the FIA are worried about are sponsors and shareholders and tv companies, the people that pay for everything basically, I am sure most fans could not give the slightest toss about a diver swearing.

I do have a problem with tv people apologising to me about it, it is not their fault they are not responsible for what people say, OK they are the broadcaster but why apologise to me for another person swearing it is beyond ridiculous and always has been in my eyes. You cannot CONTROL their life any more than you can control mine so why apologise.

Oddly the tv people seem less than concerned about broadcasting team radio with swearing bleeped out, which is basically a kop out anyway to make sure nobody complains to them when it is blatantly obvious what has been said, they seem less then concerned about showing that ON SCREEN in text format.

Yet when a drivers messes up and does it live he has to be treated like he has committed a heinous crime. Double standards for me too there.
Old 30 Sep 2024, 16:08 (Ref:4229073)   #602
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
MBS says that the FIA doesn't get enough credit and is rubbished too much - has (yet another) moan about money while he's at it.

Predictable and similar to what we've heard from him before - seems like he wants to portray himself and the FIA as some kind of "victim". So, in regard to his points on things that the FIA has improved or on the FIA position in general, there are always counter points:

The remote operations centre was only set up under duress when the FIA accepted that it had over-loaded a small F1 race management team (& one person in particular) and should have done much more, many years earlier. To be fair, MBS walked into that as the new guy & was stuck with sorting out a solution.

The training and development of senior officials & the new officials department are not new - that has been happening for years, with (for example) the Australian ASN training officials in several countries where motor sport is new(ish). What is new is that the FIA has seen the income to be made from it and now taken it all for itself.

The track limits solution is fair enough but should have happened years earlier and easily could have if we're honest.

His suggestion that the FIA was operating in the red financially has been strongly refuted by Jean Todt previously.

He IS right though, that sports governing bodies tend not to get so much credit, but do get the brickbats when things go wrong, but that's the way of the world, is life and how it is in the grown up world - time he simply got on with it sensibly IMHO.
Old 30 Sep 2024, 17:26 (Ref:4229092)   #603
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hopefully his swear job initiative gets them back into the black!
Old 30 Sep 2024, 20:41 (Ref:4229106)   #604
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Hopefully his swear job initiative gets them back into the black!

Some analysis here from Autosport. Essentially has a similar conclusion to my thoughts - it is what it is and MBS needs to get used to it.
Old 30 Sep 2024, 23:58 (Ref:4229117)   #605
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Petulant is the word that comes to mind.

Richard
Old 1 Oct 2024, 10:51 (Ref:4229156)   #606
flatlandsman
Veteran

Ireland
Daventry
flatlandsman has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Let us be honest here, every F1 driver and most team bosses are unbelievably petulant, they have been allowed to be by their teams and the stewards respectively, some of the stuff drivers say is cringeworthy and to use an awful comparison reminds me of footballers rolling around and the like.

Not all of them do it, but we all know the main candidates, and when you hear it you die inside a little!! And again, a bad example to set for the supposed billions of new fans watching
Old Today, 08:32 (Ref:4229356)   #607
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
MBS: The British media "convicted me". I'm beginning to think that maybe he really is trying to model himself on Balestre.
Old Today, 09:28 (Ref:4229361)   #608
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Some of the British media are appalling. That does not mean that some of the issues raised are without merit.
(Some of the British media are excellent too).

All I see in that interview is a very very powerful man portraying himself as a downtrodden victim fighting against the machine. It's rather nauseating to read.
Old Today, 10:12 (Ref:4229369)   #609
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBS in Autosport
"I respect Max [Verstappen] because I'm a driver. I was a champion and I respect winners and champions," he said. "I see he had his share [of mistreatment], but let's talk about me."
That's it. That's the point. He keeps on making it all about him, so there's no surprise (to me) when any press or driver comments on his outpourings.
Old Today, 12:55 (Ref:4229381)   #610
Akrapovic
Veteran

Australia
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
That's it. That's the point. He keeps on making it all about him, so there's no surprise (to me) when any press or driver comments on his outpourings.
Also let's be clear here, he was a rally driver. He won the Middle East Rally Championship. He entered WRC and scored a grand total of 12 points over 7 years.

Whilst there is nothing wrong with winning the Middle East Rally Championship and scoring points in WRC, his achievements are absolutely nothing compared to Max Verstappen.

This is like Charlie Cox comparing himself to Lewis Hamilton because he won a British GT title and entered some BTCC. "Oh I'm a champion too!" (No disrespect to Charlie of course)
Old Today, 13:48 (Ref:4229387)   #611
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
I was going to quote the same thing!

I had a few takeaways from the article...

1. Lets talk about me!

2. I am on par with Max and Seb

3. A bit of "dog whistle" to his political base regarding what I might label as push back against traditional Eurocentric motorsports influence. See the quote below...

Quote:
With due respect to the British media or any other media, they don't have a vote. We are an independent, democratic federation. It's the world of membership that elected me. The power is with the General Assembly, not with them
An attack on him is an attack on those who supported him. Which I believe he heavily courted votes outside of Europe. It sounds like a good start for his re-election campaign as his term is up end of next year. I can expect his campaign will focus on how he has a target on his back as he is an "outsider" and not part of the "status quo" and how "they" are trying to stop him from implementing our (his) vision for the future!

Richard
Old Today, 14:00 (Ref:4229388)   #612
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hopefully one of the drivers shows up wearing a ‘let’s talk about me’ tshirt!
Old Today, 14:04 (Ref:4229389)   #613
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Hopefully one of the drivers shows up wearing a ‘let’s talk about me’ tshirt!
That would be funny. I am wondering what we might see at COTA regarding use of foul language. I don't expect we will see it on the official broadcast, but I suspect social media is going to show various fan related responses to MBS.

Richard
Old Today, 15:00 (Ref:4229400)   #614
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
One other thing of note is that the previous presidents quietly (for the most part) got on with an awful lot of stuff away from motorsport - the mobility, safety, accessibility and sustainability efforts that the FIA have and continue to run have given us things like the EuroNCAP standards (Mosley), Action for Road Safety (Todt), the Road Safety Grants Programme etc etc.

Although the FIA governs world motorsport - well, some of it anyway - there's far more to it than just racing. I'm not seeing a lot of the current president being involved in those far less glamorous activities!
Old Today, 15:50 (Ref:4229403)   #615
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
right! he seems to be nowhere on any of the traditional FIA campaigns which very much, and fairly so imo, further undermines his credibility when he instead chooses to go after things like driver clothing choices and bad language.

from what i understand, Formula E has made some recent announcements towards promoting women in motorsports...curious to know where MBS is on this initiative and/or will he push for F1 teams/other categories to follow suit?
Old Today, 18:31 (Ref:4229419)   #616
Akrapovic
Veteran

Australia
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
from what i understand, Formula E has made some recent announcements towards promoting women in motorsports...curious to know where MBS is on this initiative and/or will he push for F1 teams/other categories to follow suit?
He said he doesn't like women who think they are smarter than men, and then started a war with Susie Wolff (managing director of F1 Academy) and achieved something incredibly rare - the entire paddock uniting on a single topic and backing the Wolffs.

It's pretty clear where MBS stands on these initiatives.
Old Today, 19:08 (Ref:4229424)   #617
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Really he’s just creating too much conflict and is making too much of the focus on him. But I guess that’s what he wants. Seems a very ego driven individual