Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 14 Jan 2011, 00:35 (Ref:2815484)   #626
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SBF,
it could be a tunnel, yep. The terrain there (I got the whole modeled in Blender) suggests a bridge rathwer than a tunnel, but it could be a tunnel. I stayed with the bridge because there's nothing there it would interfere with - no stands, no danger of spun out cars bumping into it - and, as far as I know, it's cheaper to build a bridge than digging a tunnel

But if a bridge there is no good, it can be a tunnel.

bio
Old 14 Jan 2011, 04:05 (Ref:2815521)   #627
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio View Post
SBF,
it could be a tunnel, yep. The terrain there (I got the whole modeled in Blender) suggests a bridge rathwer than a tunnel, but it could be a tunnel. I stayed with the bridge because there's nothing there it would interfere with - no stands, no danger of spun out cars bumping into it - and, as far as I know, it's cheaper to build a bridge than digging a tunnel

But if a bridge there is no good, it can be a tunnel.

bio
I did observed the bridge but more from a safety perpecrive since it's in kind of an impact zone of the general long corner, it's ok if there's no columns in the way.The bridge must be capable of doing without a column until the shown runoff I don't think a tunnel it's a good idea unless it's a non-bike circuit.

Having said that, I gotta say you've been hiting me low with those tracks, man you know I lovem those are very real life and you're using an in between of a purpose track with the natural lines of a natural track, just in the right proportion, Im loving your work these days!

Last edited by LuiggiSpeed; 14 Jan 2011 at 04:10.
Old 14 Jan 2011, 11:06 (Ref:2815611)   #628
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuiggiSpeed View Post
Im loving your work these days!
Oh, so you hated my work before!!! ;D :P

Jokes aside, thx, bro!

And you can also rest assured about the bridge - it spans over the gravel trap. In the early days I got a lot of (justified) criticism about my bridges so I learned here how and where to put a bridge

bio
Old 14 Jan 2011, 14:34 (Ref:2815690)   #629
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
The mouth's watering - these are just spot on.

It's a travesty (and I know you have your reasons) that we'll never see any of these incredible designs come to life They've got to a very high standard as of late.

Selby
Old 14 Jan 2011, 17:13 (Ref:2815773)   #630
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Wow, thax

bio
Old 16 Jan 2011, 04:45 (Ref:2816270)   #631
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States

Ok here we go the green track it's a cowboy hat, the grey one I see Dino peeking out a window there yellow track it's a deep sea fish I've seen on Discovery Ch the red and blue I'm not sure but I see two things having like some intimate affair

On a serious note, those are some amazing tracks all of them that was a nice developement right there IMHO.
Old 16 Jan 2011, 21:12 (Ref:2816512)   #632
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Wow, the cowboy-hat is really there

bio
Old 17 Jan 2011, 17:46 (Ref:2816904)   #633
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The green one is a true beauty: it's fast, it's got the straights, 3 distinct overtaking opportunities and a few technical sections, too.
It's just that it lacks runoff in the penultimate left-hander, the location of the 3rd overtaking opportunity. What would you do to fix it? Moving the corner further away from the pitlane entrance?
Old 17 Jan 2011, 20:21 (Ref:2817004)   #634
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you have found a nice balance between some nice corners and straights with overtakingpoints at the end. Especially given the heightmap, I really like corners number 7-8-9, Althouhg the track may become a bit to long, It's a shame the loop from turn 10 until the doubleapex righthander is not taken in the standard-track. Especially the long lefthand corner wich brings the drivers back on the main track between 10 and 11 could be a real challenge.
Old 17 Jan 2011, 23:18 (Ref:2817099)   #635
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Yannick,
thx!

About the corner: There's 78 meters of gravel at the end, so I don't think anything special should be done there. If about 60 meters of gravel is enough after the end of Barcelona's >1km S/F straight, or about 50 meters of gravel is enough for Sepang's almost 1 km long S/F straight then I guess 78 meters is more than enough for that 550 m long straight - even if it is a slightly downhill

And - good to know you like the "Cowboy Hat" variant (courtesy of Luiggi), it's actually my favourite too!

bio
Old 17 Jan 2011, 23:22 (Ref:2817101)   #636
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Werner,
what you're saying is really interesting - because it was the original "main" layout: the T10-double apex-long left hander-T11 loop was included and the T4-T8 section was not part, the T4-T8 shortcut was used.

bio
Old 19 Jan 2011, 20:11 (Ref:2817959)   #637
bio
Veteran

Hungary
I'm not sure I'd have the time later in the week so why not post my weekly track now (since it's still "Four tracks a month" time, remember?)

Today I took one of my older designs and worked on it a little.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Belém_new_1.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	221.9 KB
ID:	30909

This time I went to Brazil. The Autodromo do Belém is supposed to be a "park" type track that runs in an imaginery park, partly around a lake.

Name:	Belém_new_2.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	30910

It's 5,981 km (3.74 miles) long and runs clockwise.

Name:	Belém_new_wiki.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	30912

There are no particular altitude variations, so there's no sense in having a height map - instead here's the most important one of the possible alternative layouts, that utilizes the smaller paddocks/pitlane and S/F line and rund anti-clockwise.

Name:	Belém_new_alternative.jpg
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	30911

bio
Old 19 Jan 2011, 21:11 (Ref:2817986)   #638
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I really like the alternative layout.... The long loop appeals to me, like another of my favourite tracks..... and the fast swoopy sections running out the back of the circuit.
Old 22 Jan 2011, 11:35 (Ref:2819179)   #639
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great job!
Old 22 Jan 2011, 13:24 (Ref:2819201)   #640
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
I really like the alternative layout.... The long loop appeals to me, like another of my favourite tracks..... and the fast swoopy sections running out the back of the circuit.
Old Buenos Aires?

Selby
Old 30 Jan 2011, 11:36 (Ref:2822646)   #641
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Time for the fourth track for January.

Last week I opened this thread of mine on its first page by mistake. And, though the images I uploaded then are not available anymore, I remembered my first ever track I submitted here. It was not the first one I designed, but the very first one I put in here. It was called Gatewell Park - and of course it was not a very good one It looked like this:

Name:	Gatewell_original.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	338.4 KB
ID:	30993

Since then I learned a lot about how to design a decent fantasy track - so I thought why not redesign Gatewell? So I did. So, ladies and Gentlemen, here's Gatewell revisited:

Name:	Gatewell_1.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	278.9 KB
ID:	30989

I only made adjustments that I felt necessary, trying to keep the original idea and layout as much as I resonably could. The new layout is 6.095 meters (3.81 miles) long and runs anti-clockwise. Clockwise could work almost just as well - with a few modifications of course. I finally stuck with anti because it gives the drivers/riders one more good overtaking spots...

Name:	Gatewell_2.jpg
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	30990

It took a surprisingly long time to settle on the final layout - though the original concept was given still this one took much longer than many of my other works. Still, I couldn't say I'm absolutely satisfied with the result... Never mind.

Name:	Gatewell_wiki.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	30991

Since I didn't even think in 3 dimensions when I designed the original , I had all the freedom to give Gatewell Park elevation - and so I did. Some of my tracks I put in here recently are rather shy considering altitude variation - so this time I didn't spare slopes Consequently, it might be a bit tricky to read the height changes on the height map, but here it goes:

Name:	Gatewell_altitude.jpg
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	30992

bio
Old 30 Jan 2011, 17:09 (Ref:2822793)   #642
the_calculator
Rookie

Netherlands
the_calculator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great track.

I love the downhill run towards the hairpin (T7), you'd probably have a long braking zone because of the reduced grip.

I think I like the configuration which connects T15 to T23 best.
T16 to T22 gives me a bit feeling of; Let's get through with this and then get on with real racing.
Old 30 Jan 2011, 21:29 (Ref:2822926)   #643
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Yeah, T16-22 is the technical part - I still don't feel comfortable without a technical section.

Thx for the comment!

bio
Old 31 Jan 2011, 01:37 (Ref:2822992)   #644
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Autodromo do Belem ROCKS
I see a little bit of catalunya at the left, do I? quite a track bio, loving it!
Old 31 Jan 2011, 02:01 (Ref:2822999)   #645
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Actually, up until T4 it's a lot like Catalunya (minus the elevation), absolutely true.

bio
Old 5 Feb 2011, 23:44 (Ref:2826343)   #646
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Time for my one for the week.

This time I came home and put the venue in Hungary - but not an existing city, but my imaginery city of Zsáva. Not the first time this city of mine hosts a track, my last street track I featured here (that of Laza).
This is the circuit of Kaytar, a suburb of Zsáva. The nickname reflects the overall shape of the track:

Name:	Kajtar_newest_1.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	31078

Before the street circuit of Laza was "built", The 5.964 km (3.73 mile) long, anti-clockwise "Arrow" was the city's prime motor racing circuit. Since then it mainly hosts bike events.

Name:	Kajtar_newest_2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	31079

There are a few alternate layouts, and two, simultaneously operable halves, the Northern and Southern ones.

Name:	Kajtar_newest_wiki.jpg
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	31080

To be quite honest, the low number of responses to my last two tracks made me re-evaluate how much time I allocate to draw my tracks. And, since it's easily the height map that takes the most time, I decided to leave it out. Sorry to say but the thing is that I can no longer convince myself that those 2-3 replies warrant an extra 3-4 hours of work

bio
Old 6 Feb 2011, 00:08 (Ref:2826346)   #647
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
SpeedingTortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Love the amount of different layouts you have there. I dont think there is one series you cant host. I also love some of the longer turns youve got especially T11 and T19-21, that last one very reminicent of T8 at Istanbul. And yes, i share your views on how quiet this forum is becoming.
Old 6 Feb 2011, 00:17 (Ref:2826348)   #648
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My first thought is that you were originally going to run this circuit clockwise from the Southern Pit, as to me that's the way that is set up. The existing South Pit exits onto the racing line of the second part of the chicane.
That said for bike racing it isn't that much of an issue.

Considering it Anti-clockwise as advertised...

There are some unBio like corners, 8-11 are very Bio, yet 14-15 isn't.

I'm a bit confused by this one, I'll need to think more about it.
Old 6 Feb 2011, 00:31 (Ref:2826351)   #649
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Thx both!

SBF, the southern loop runs clockwise - you can see the gravel traps under the bridge indicate that. So the southern pitlane exits on the left. Forgot to mention that, sorry. (BTW, I rarely put the pit exit after T1, I almost always put it at the end of the S/F straight - but of course this one could have been a rare exception )

Actually, this one's one of my oldest designs - ot at least the basic concept. It's been re-designed to some extent since - but mainly the S/F straight and the section T22-24 - the rest is pretty much the original idea. That's why it might feel like it's not typical me.T14, for example is really not typical, I don't especially like long sweepers, so I rarely use them - at least for some time now. My tracks are usually much more defined by their straights than their corners - this one's pretty uch characterized by that long sweeper.

bio
Old 6 Feb 2011, 06:03 (Ref:2826386)   #650
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
I swear to god I could have designed this track myself!

I totally love it, it's very functional and it has many features I like to do in my own tracks, unbelievable!

I like the infield idea with a nice variation of a proven set of corners, the 2 smaller radiused in one side and one larger, thats pure genius there, the multi apexed section also appears sometimes in my prefered designs because I know what it feels to try to decipher a set of those!

bio I couldn't have designed it better myself, I love your track there