Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 May 2015, 13:35 (Ref:3539650)   #676
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
her talent levels are well below IndyCar
People keep saying this, but the truth is she was consistently in the top 10 in the IndyCar championship during her tenure there, which makes her a heck of a lot better than many other IndyCar drivers past and current. Granted, that was some years ago now. Agree on NASCAR (Daytona pole notwithstanding).
Old 20 May 2015, 15:35 (Ref:3539683)   #677
Akrapovic
Veteran

Australia
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwintle View Post
People keep saying this, but the truth is she was consistently in the top 10 in the IndyCar championship during her tenure there, which makes her a heck of a lot better than many other IndyCar drivers past and current. Granted, that was some years ago now. Agree on NASCAR (Daytona pole notwithstanding).
Top 10s whilst her team mates battle for the championship (and win 3 of them) isn't really anything to shout about. Which is the problem. She's at best an average IndyCar driver when placed in a top team. And in no way does that qualify anyone to be an F1 driver.

She isn't bad. She just isn't that good. And nobody in F1 should be "not that good".
Old 20 May 2015, 17:49 (Ref:3539721)   #678
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Danica is known for her performance on ovals. From what I've heard, there are quite a few road courses on the F1 calendar.

She was pulled from Sebring in 2008 because she was "too short to comfortably drive the car" and replaced by Tony Kanaan, who is an inch shorter. The truth was her times were abysmal.

I've seen Patrick and Simona de Silvestro race against each other and, given the same equipment, I feel that Simona would dust her off.
Old 20 May 2015, 18:14 (Ref:3539731)   #679
Richard C
Veteran

United States
Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Having said all this, I do not believe that Danica is really that interested, and clearly way too smart to pay through the nose for the dubious pleasure of joining Bernie's circus as a rookie driver in a new team.
I suspect that is all very true. This is likely mostly a moot point and just seed for those who like to bash her (rightly or wrongly)

Richard
Old 20 May 2015, 18:20 (Ref:3539733)   #680
Richard C
Veteran

United States
Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As to Simona, she is Swiss and not American, but races primarily in a US series and she probably has enough name recognition with the US racing crowd that I think she could be an interesting idea. Given where they are both in their careers, I would rather see Simona get a real shot at F1 than Danica.

Richard
Old 22 May 2015, 22:17 (Ref:3540294)   #681
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I actually think it will be Alex Rossi and Rafa Marciello. I don't see an experienced driver taking the chance. Adrian Sutil at a push but I don't see it.
Old 22 May 2015, 22:31 (Ref:3540296)   #682
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Having said all this, I do not believe that Danica is really that interested, and clearly way too smart to pay through the nose for the dubious pleasure of joining Bernie's circus as a rookie driver in a new team.
Her sponsors would pay for it, not her.
Old 22 May 2015, 22:49 (Ref:3540301)   #683
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Agree. I think Danica probably does not have F1 on her wish list.
She is a big family girl. Dogs, homes , relationships, Nascar, that
keeps her balanced at this stage of her career. Just don't see
her walking away from all of that. Too much in the USA to keep
her a happy camper.
Old 22 May 2015, 23:15 (Ref:3540305)   #684
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
I actually think it will be Alex Rossi and Rafa Marciello. I don't see an experienced driver taking the chance. Adrian Sutil at a push but I don't see it.
In an ideal world, Haas would want a team with all American drivers. I think that's unlikely to happen but you never know, so his best bet is to opt for one American driver and Josef Newgarden easily fits the bill.
Old 23 May 2015, 01:33 (Ref:3540312)   #685
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Danica could pluck for a two year stint in F1 and then retire gracefully if she was given the offer. That's not disruptive. She would've had F1 in mind as she has raced in Europe and it's not improbable that ambition is now revived. It'll be understood that she's not going to be WC. She's not gonna be Verstappen here, she's a Ralph Firman Jr type - in and out of the sport in a couple of years. Haas, in his turn, gets a double dose of attention. As long as she's adequate and there's a fairly credible driver in the first seat, I see no intrinsic problem (other than being submerged by an avalanche of wishy-washy cooing and aahing from the broadcasters patting her on the head which is why I hope it doesn't happen).

I get the impression that Haas is half tempted to reap the extra-large publicity benefits that a Danica hiring would afford him. Meanwhile his hard headed F1 entourage are doing their best to pour cold water on such a suggestion. That's possibly what is going on behind the scenes here.
Old 23 May 2015, 01:50 (Ref:3540316)   #686
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BE would certainly be encouraging everyone involved to make it happen. It would motivate a lot of Americans to switch on to F1 to see how she goes.
Old 25 May 2015, 15:54 (Ref:3541079)   #687
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
As to Simona, she is Swiss and not American, but races primarily in a US series and she probably has enough name recognition with the US racing crowd that I think she could be an interesting idea. Given where they are both in their careers, I would rather see Simona get a real shot at F1 than Danica.

Richard
Ditto... Me too!
Old 25 May 2015, 16:11 (Ref:3541083)   #688
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Both ladies in one team? It will never going to happen but it would be a public relations dream for F1.
Old 26 May 2015, 19:52 (Ref:3541514)   #689
alan1302
Racer

England
Doncaster, UK
alan1302 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Both ladies in one team? It will never going to happen but it would be a public relations dream for F1.
If they were both in a Ferrari then I'd agree. But in a back of the grid team I can't see it getting too many column inches after the first race.
Old 27 May 2015, 00:36 (Ref:3541614)   #690
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan1302 View Post
If they were both in a Ferrari then I'd agree. But in a back of the grid team I can't see it getting too many column inches after the first race.
The spin doctors would make it the main story all year.
Old 27 May 2015, 01:09 (Ref:3541624)   #691
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
The spin doctors would make it the main story all year.
And do so easily.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 27 May 2015, 02:39 (Ref:3541630)   #692
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
If I was Haas and I wanted to be 1. professional but 2. turn heads in a commercial sense.....

....I might have Danica in the 2nd seat attracting all the treacley attention whilst giving a hot shot lad or a young veteran space to get down to business and apply himself to developing himself and the car.

Two women drivers in the team may very mean both are fazed by the avalanche of attention that will inevitably come their way.
Old 27 May 2015, 19:55 (Ref:3541869)   #693
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
If I was Haas and I wanted to be 1. professional but 2. turn heads in a commercial sense.....

....I might have Danica in the 2nd seat attracting all the treacley attention whilst giving a hot shot lad or a young veteran space to get down to business and apply himself to developing himself and the car.

Two women drivers in the team may very mean both are fazed by the avalanche of attention that will inevitably come their way.
Correct - which is why I'd take someone on the Ferrari development program.
Old 27 May 2015, 23:49 (Ref:3541925)   #694
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post

I would be looking for the most experienced driver who was good at development and testing and working with engineers that I could find - as near to Button / Vettel / Schumacher as I could get, Coulthard's roll at RBR in the early days, and Schumacher's roll at Mercedes.
Then, I would want the best American youngster that I could find.
Old 28 May 2015, 00:17 (Ref:3541939)   #695
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
I would be looking for the most experienced driver who was good at development and testing and working with engineers that I could find - as near to Button / Vettel / Schumacher as I could get, Coulthard's roll at RBR in the early days, and Schumacher's roll at Mercedes.
Then, I would want the best American youngster that I could find.
Yes. I hope he nurtures the team. He does what he does to get sponsorship but doesn't turn his team into an abject circus in the first year. American's aren't fundamentally going to be interested in him anyway until he starts carving through the grid.
Old 28 May 2015, 08:00 (Ref:3542001)   #696
lukej
Rookie

lukej should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Beyond Danica/Simona, if Haas' desire is for an all American team, I have to say, I'd be looking at Connor Daly a few years from now.

Like Newgarden he's raced in Europe before (more recently and to a higher level might I add), and he's had a few races in Indycar.

As a reserve driver for them in years 1 and 2 he could get in some FP1 slots, go out and race in a suitable series to qualify for a super licence, and bring some press from those who think highly of him in Europe.

I think it would be wise to have only one current or ex IRL drivers in year 1 & 2, and as others have said, who is in the Ferrari driver program?

Luke
Old 28 May 2015, 08:07 (Ref:3542003)   #697
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukej View Post
who is in the Ferrari driver program?

Luke
Gutierrez is Ferrari's reserve driver at the moment. Maybe lacking a little experience but otherwise looks like a very good fit for Haas in a first year. He is not the next Senna but should be capable.
Old 28 May 2015, 08:19 (Ref:3542006)   #698
lukej
Rookie

lukej should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's always useful to grab some money from a top team to run their junior drivers, and as with any team, the money has to add up.

Here's an idea, say the car proves capable and the timing is right, do we think it would be a good move for Haas as a shrewd team owner to make a move for Sergio Perez?

The Mexican/American relationship was used well in Champ Car, continues to work in Indycar, and the signing of Perez would attract Telmex/Slim's attention.

I guess my thinking here is that he's now experienced, he's shown well against all of his team mates including button, he's young enough to be a mature team leader in a couple of years, and his nationality is close enough to home for many Americans to adopt him as their driver.

Maybe, just maybe, this would be the best move for Haas.

Luke
Old 29 May 2015, 04:38 (Ref:3542377)   #699
daallo
Rookie

Mexico
Mexico
daallo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But probably the most convenient for Pérez is to say at FI. In México it was reported taht Esteban and Hass already met for a couple of hours and the Ferrari connection make him a very likely candidate.
Old 1 Jul 2015, 12:59 (Ref:3555178)   #700
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Haas would consider customer cars.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/119765