Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 6 Feb 2016, 23:07 (Ref:3612530)   #701
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I think the 10mj drop is LM only? And Privateer teams are exempt from that. They'd be slower than lmp2 if they were hit with that drop!
Old 7 Feb 2016, 03:17 (Ref:3612590)   #702
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Dunlop is the significantly preferred tire for privateer ACO teams generally these days. I think it makes way more sense for the privateer P1s to be on what the privateer P2s are than being the only customer Michelin prototype teams at every race but Le Mans.

I get the impression that with all the custom tires for the factory teams collecting the big trophies Michelin's customer product isn't particularly standout these days.
Old 7 Feb 2016, 03:38 (Ref:3612593)   #703
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Michelin is like everyone else in that if you want something, you have to pay for it (hence why HPD never got the actual wide front tires for the Acura ARX-02). But then again, when the factory teams are writing you big checks, I don't think that they worry that much about LMP1 privateers unless they give them tons of money in exchange for being a partner team.
Old 7 Feb 2016, 06:22 (Ref:3612659)   #704
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I think the 10mj drop is LM only? And Privateer teams are exempt from that. They'd be slower than lmp2 if they were hit with that drop!
It's for hybrids only. The drop is smaller on other tracks, just like the amount of total energy per lap is.
Old 7 Feb 2016, 22:39 (Ref:3612876)   #705
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I see the switch to Dunlop from the privateers like a way to handicap hybrids, allowing Dunlop to provide a more competitive tyre without create a Tyre war in the same class.
Old 7 Feb 2016, 23:24 (Ref:3612895)   #706
Artur
Veteran

Artur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In what way will the hydrids be handicaped? Despite the -10MJ, I won't be surprised, at all, if the gap to privateers grows even bigger. Michelin's factory tires are very likely the best you can get, by a good margin, I would reckon.

I think there is a chance that Dunlop will bring more suited tyres, for the Rebellion and Bykolles cars, than what Michelin were providing, though.

As chernaudi said, Michelin's focus is on the factory cars(the ones that really gets the headlines, nevermind the likely big paycheck too) and the tires supplied to Rebellion and Bykolles likely are very undeveloped.

Just to remember, Michelin provides bespoke tires to each manufacturer depending on each car's characteristics. The type of compound that is best suited, to an specific car, is totally dependant on the loads and stresses acting on the tire(weight+downforce and also the torque).

Dunlops will supply highly developed bespoke tires to the privateers, let's compare the 2015 and 2016 times of these cars and have an idea of the difference(I assume Rebellion, at least, will keep the same overall package to enable such rough comparison)
Old 8 Feb 2016, 00:29 (Ref:3612912)   #707
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I don't think Michelin is the best at everything, but right now they're the only tire manufacturer present in the lmp1 factory game. I'd like to see Dunlop expand and others like Bridgestone or Goodyear try their hand.
Old 8 Feb 2016, 01:00 (Ref:3612917)   #708
Artur
Veteran

The best at everything is always difficult to be but I doubt the any manufacturer could seriously challenge Bridgestone and Michelin on most circunstances(they spend the double of Goodyear on R&D and +x3 of the rest)

I also would love to see other suppliers for LMP1-Hs but it seems everybody is scared of Michelin(Bridgestone included, which had very poor endurance tires when compared on F1 2005). At least that's my impression from so many years of only Michelin supplying the real LM contenders

Btw, JapaneseSamurai posted that Michelin dominated on Sepang's SGT' tests. I hope that won't happen at the actual season, when temps will be lower.
Old 8 Feb 2016, 01:37 (Ref:3612930)   #709
TF110
Veteran

United States
Michelin had better tires in the high temperatures in Sepang. Japan usually doesn't get that hotn right? In f1, Bridgestone only supplied a few teams vs most of the grid for Michelin when they both competed. But I think if they were to join, they could be great competition. Pirelli just won at Bathurst against Michelin and had less issues. I think the Michelin guys had multiple blowouts, what about the Pirelli's?
Old 8 Feb 2016, 04:47 (Ref:3612987)   #710
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
From reading the thread, it was actually the Pirelli runners that had the most issues, including both Audis that had significant tire issues. But to be fair, Pirelli did supply more teams, so the odds were that they were going to have more issues with punctures just due to supplying a larger number of teams.
Old 10 Feb 2016, 07:19 (Ref:3613572)   #711
Artur
Veteran

I didn't follow Bathurst and when I went to check the results, I found that the official site pdfs doesn't include tires, so I can't say anything about that other than that I highly doubt Pirelli would be anywhere near Michelin on pure pace.

On N24, Pirelli's Bentley qualified 6s slower than Michelin's and the race fastest lap gap was of 4s. In WEC 2012, it was absolutely ridiculous how crappy the Pirellis were : http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....&postcount=559

About the 2005 F1 season, so what that Bridgestone supplied to only 3 teams? It's pretty known that Bridgestone 2005 tires were much inferior to Michelin which made Ferrari be slower than several cars it was never used to be. Yes, this was a decade ago but that might still make Bridgestone's board feels cautious about entering LM.
Old 20 Feb 2016, 21:29 (Ref:3616350)   #712
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Along with the new aero, suspension, obviously the tires, and other stuff, the CLM will also have updated AER to go with it's longer exhaust system. So will Rebellion also get engine update, or is it just for Kolles?

http://www.motorsport-total.com/wec/...-16021402.html
Old 20 Feb 2016, 22:36 (Ref:3616360)   #713
TF110
Veteran

United States
Kolles ran without the upgraded AER last year while Rebellion did iirc. They cited reliability, wgich was apparent with Rebellion's issues.
Old 20 Feb 2016, 23:01 (Ref:3616368)   #714
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
AER better have things sorted out then.
Old 21 Feb 2016, 02:14 (Ref:3616402)   #715
JoestEver
Rookie

JoestEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's hope CLM can finally put up a fight against rebellion
Old 21 Feb 2016, 05:51 (Ref:3616413)   #716
TF110
Veteran

United States
Kaffer is fine, Trummer on the other hand was a lot slower. Last year he was a second and more slower per lap. He needs to up his pace.
Old 23 Feb 2016, 17:42 (Ref:3617058)   #717
Deleted
Veteran

^ All LMP1 privateers on Dunlop vs all LMP1 factories on Mics.

"LMP1 is the Sport of KINGS" might be the quote of the year already
Old 23 Feb 2016, 20:25 (Ref:3617131)   #718
TF110
Veteran

United States
I hope the cockpit size doesn't increase on p1's. The cars are getting skinnier while the cockpit gets wider and taller. Throws off the balance and makes them look like Daytona prototypes.
Old 23 Feb 2016, 20:39 (Ref:3617136)   #719
Deleted
Veteran

Yes I might have to agree with you on that one.
Old 23 Feb 2016, 20:43 (Ref:3617139)   #720
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Yes I might have to agree with you on that one.
About time you came to your senses
Old 23 Feb 2016, 21:10 (Ref:3617148)   #721
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
About time you came to your senses
Now now, we do have some common viewpoints... at times... when quantum multiverses meet

The raised LMP height, and seemingly in ever more rapid rate of implementation, is unfortunate aesthetical issue indeed. I would say that right now it's at the very edge before it becomes too distracting (and it already is in some models which are not hiding it so well like the others, as I've said before). I suppose that the shark fin helps a bit though in creating more even top profile, as perverse as saying that may sound

LMP Coupes at the turn of the past decade were amazing looking and Group C reminiscent, that's the aesthetical goal one would hope could be reached back someday

Last edited by Deleted; 23 Feb 2016 at 21:24.
Old 24 Feb 2016, 19:23 (Ref:3617447)   #722
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
FYI: I moved the Glickenhaus discussion to the Glickenhaus thread.

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...=134886&page=3
Old 24 Feb 2016, 20:44 (Ref:3617475)   #723
Deleted
Veteran

Thanks (again )

In actual Kolles news, their chief engineer has sadly died this week
http://www.24h-lemans.com/fr/actuali...707_23713.html
Old 7 Mar 2016, 12:36 (Ref:3620870)   #724
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ollie Webb joins for 2016. Good Choice I'd say ( For Kolles ).

http://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/w...ine-up-677932/
Old 8 Mar 2016, 21:06 (Ref:3621329)   #725
TF110
Veteran

United States
Simon Trummer tweeted this picture

Looks good. Have to inspect closer to see aero differences if any.