Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 28 Sep 2010, 01:04 (Ref:2765828)   #701
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
If Marshall Pruett's photos are taken into account... quite badly. There's a photo of the #33 car driving around the track without a bonnet/hood/whatever you want to call it.
You can find plenty of photos of Porsches and Ferraris running around with lost doors, hoods, etc. I guess they are all rubbish too? It is easy to poke a little at the Jag, but at least find something more relevant to poke at...
Old 28 Sep 2010, 13:52 (Ref:2766069)   #702
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
I'm sorry, I didn't want it to come out like that. I'd really like them to prove me wrong, but it's probably a longshot. It just seemed weird to see a car run around without an engine cover.
Old 28 Sep 2010, 22:28 (Ref:2766337)   #703
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The races up to Le Mans didn't really do them any favours so I get it! I don't really see the car lighting up the track too spectacularly, but if they can get one car to the end and get it classified I will be happy for them. Getting the ECU sorted should lead to the first and, maybe, to the second...in time.
Old 30 Sep 2010, 17:35 (Ref:2767310)   #704
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A hint of what the (front) of the new XK will look like.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=22547
Old 1 Oct 2010, 21:33 (Ref:2767960)   #705
Jaguarman1
Rookie

England
Warwickshire
Jaguarman1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have to say I had fairly high hopes for the revised newer car this weekend. Unfortunately it looks like they're still quite a bit off the pace in qualifying.
Old 2 Oct 2010, 12:37 (Ref:2768120)   #706
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
Does Yokohama tires transfer from the jaguar to Lamborghini?
Old 2 Oct 2010, 13:15 (Ref:2768128)   #707
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, with the Panoz, Lamborghinis, and another Ford GT (ACS custom built) coming, RSR needs to step it up. How embarrassing would it be for a program that has been around for 1.5 years to get outrun by cars that have have just started racing (going by 2011)?
Old 2 Oct 2010, 17:46 (Ref:2768272)   #708
picchiofan
Racer

Iran
picchiofan User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ_N_09 View Post
Well, with the Panoz, Lamborghinis, and another Ford GT (ACS custom built) coming, RSR needs to step it up. How embarrassing would it be for a program that has been around for 1.5 years to get outrun by cars that have have just started racing (going by 2011)?
The ford GTs have been around for years and never been competitive, the last lamborghini program was such a debacle that the factory forced them to shut it down, and the Panoz is going to be an embarassment, seeing as it's pretty much a rebodied 5+ year old car. They'll all be tooling around the back embarassing themselves.
Old 4 Oct 2010, 02:37 (Ref:2768886)   #709
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguarman1 View Post
Have to say I had fairly high hopes for the revised newer car this weekend. Unfortunately it looks like they're still quite a bit off the pace in qualifying.
What has to be maddening for the team is that the same pieces keep breaking and they have no solution
Old 4 Oct 2010, 08:46 (Ref:2768953)   #710
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
16 laps
82 laps

Joeb, you have a little background on this? I couldn't find anything. Thanks!
Old 4 Oct 2010, 08:52 (Ref:2768958)   #711
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PG said something about the block casting.... I presume the blocks come from Jaguar, if so is this a problem with causing extra stress's on the 5.0 V8 ? or Does PG have the blocks cast himself or such ? either way this was laughable especially with the hype Jaguar have put behind this effort recently.
Old 4 Oct 2010, 09:14 (Ref:2768969)   #712
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Skimming the PLM thread, it reads like the #33 was the new car, and lost its 3rd engine of the weekend early in the race.

Saw a note about the #75 car being involved in contact, but no other notations.

I don't know anything about the program, but it would be a surprise if RSR cast their own blocks, would it not? Is that even legal for their category?
Old 4 Oct 2010, 09:22 (Ref:2768973)   #713
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I said cast himself I did mean does a third party construct the engines ala Pipo Moteur for Msport & the Ford WRC program. Ie Jaguar engine but development outsourced to a 3rd party to RSR own specification ? sorry I should have explained myself much better. If Jag are supplying the engines then are the problems at Bridgend/Gaydon ? If they are from Jaguar is this why the LMP2 engine rumour has gone quiet as there are problems with reliability when the engine is stressed for more power ?
Old 4 Oct 2010, 09:27 (Ref:2768977)   #714
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Hopefully we will be joined by someone who has some answers. I'd think the block would have to be factory by regulation...then you sleeve it, O-ring the bores, reinforce the bedplate (main saddle) and start building.

Darned if I can find any race reports about the Jags on the web, so we'll wait for more news. Thanks for chiming in though!
Old 4 Oct 2010, 10:39 (Ref:2769001)   #715
pablocomics
Racer

Spain
Madrid
pablocomics should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That engine isn´t a Ford desing? In that case they sould call to Elan asking for some help...
Old 4 Oct 2010, 11:49 (Ref:2769039)   #716
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
To my knowledge (I think) this Jag engine is the AJ V8 engine produced in the Ford bridgend plant, its an alloy engine which is pressure die-cast aluminium, with "cast-in-place" iron liners........ on a race motor these liners are prone to coming loose and causing all sorts of horrid engine faliures due to differential thermal expansion, whereby the ali block expands more than the steel liners.........hence when Aston Martin used the same base engine for the V8 vantage raod car they completley re-designed it, particularly with pressed-in steel liners (for bigger capacity), not to mention new heads, block, dry sump and crank!!!!!!......so whats that telling you about the AJV8 base engine????.......its a POS.......but saying that I'm sure paul drayson would hardly sing the praises of the Aston GT2 engine which he campaigned in 2009 ALMS, it was baiscally an IED in race trim.

more info here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_AJ-V8_engine

and here

http://www.jaguar-enthusiasts.org.uk/aj-v8-gen3.html

Last edited by knighty; 4 Oct 2010 at 11:56.
Old 4 Oct 2010, 11:52 (Ref:2769042)   #717
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagtechOhio View Post
Hopefully we will be joined by someone who has some answers. I'd think the block would have to be factory by regulation...then you sleeve it, O-ring the bores, reinforce the bedplate (main saddle) and start building.

Darned if I can find any race reports about the Jags on the web, so we'll wait for more news. Thanks for chiming in though!
The #75 Jag had a water pump failure according to Radio Le Mans at the time.
Old 4 Oct 2010, 12:05 (Ref:2769049)   #718
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
but saying that I'm sure paul drayson would hardly sing the praises of the Aston GT2 engine which he campaigned in 2009 ALMS, it was baiscally an IED in race trim.
I'm sure JMW Motorsport would be singing its praises after the last two-three races, it took a long time but somehow they have made the car work and work reliably. Drayson ran the car through its early development, so they took all the pain of niggly unreliability (just watched Licence to Le Mans, they were indeed swapping engines in '08 in the ALMS like there was no tomorrow), but now that car is working better and better with each race.

The Jag was close to a laughing stock for much of this season, but if they manage to follow the development curve of the Vantage... some time next year they should be getting the car properly sorted and running much closer to the pace.
Old 4 Oct 2010, 14:52 (Ref:2769172)   #719
picchiofan
Racer

Iran
picchiofan User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post

The Jag was close to a laughing stock for much of this season, but if they manage to follow the development curve of the Vantage... some time next year they should be getting the car properly sorted and running much closer to the pace.
The car was announced at the end of the '08 season, set to run in '09. It missed multiple races and deadlines, and finally came out for the final race and didn't do much. In '10 it was hilariously unreliable and slow. When it could run, it barely made the pace of the GTC cars.

At this point, they're two years in and have a GT program that can run for an hour and a half and nip at the heels of challenge class Porsches. It isn't going to get better.
Old 4 Oct 2010, 15:05 (Ref:2769184)   #720
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Quote:
Originally Posted by picchiofan View Post
At this point, they're two years in and have a GT program that can run for an hour and a half and nip at the heels of challenge class Porsches. It isn't going to get better.
I did say "IF they could follow the same development curve". If they can't, it's probably time for someone to take this project out of RSR's hands.
Old 4 Oct 2010, 16:09 (Ref:2769243)   #721
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagtechOhio View Post
16 laps
82 laps

Joeb, you have a little background on this? I couldn't find anything. Thanks!
I heard multiple times on the track PA and on RLM that they have issues with a sprocket that runs the timing chain. Teeth keep breaking off of the sprocket and they don't know why some last 200 hours and some 2.
Old 4 Oct 2010, 18:42 (Ref:2769348)   #722
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I heard multiple times on the track PA and on RLM that they have issues with a sprocket that runs the timing chain. Teeth keep breaking off of the sprocket and they don't know why some last 200 hours and some 2.

Yep!

L.P.
Old 4 Oct 2010, 18:51 (Ref:2769353)   #723
wheelz22
Racer

United States
NJ
wheelz22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Not true, the teeth have never once broken off. The chains fail....typically at 6000 revs on a hard upshift. The lower sprocket, being small in diameter is not kind to the chains in a race engine (fine on a street engine though). There is only so much room down there....that puts a limit on sprocket size. That, however, will be resolved.
Old 4 Oct 2010, 18:52 (Ref:2769354)   #724
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz22 View Post
Not true, the teeth have never once broken off. The chains fail....typically at 6000 revs on a hard upshift. The lower sprocket, being small in diameter is not kind to the chains in a race engine (fine on a street engine though). There is only so much room down there....that puts a limit on sprocket size. That, however, will be resolved.
So it is the pieces of the chain that break then?
Old 4 Oct 2010, 19:00 (Ref:2769358)   #725
wheelz22
Racer

United States
NJ
wheelz22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
The #75 Jag had a water pump failure according to Radio Le Mans at the time.
75.....water pump bearing explosion, resulting in wobbly shaft, resulting in oil pump belt going missing as well....you know the rest after that happens...first time for that one.

33.....fresh race engine that had prior dyno time and heat cycles...out of nowhere, spritzes of coolant being introduced into the combustion chamber from the cyl head (porous casting). Not something that the milder demands of a street driven 133 motor would ever induce though.