Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Feb 2001, 21:44 (Ref:63258)   #51
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

EERO,

I follow what you say and I have no problem with the initial topic, as you say it has been before and probably will do again. What I do find annoying is the replys that drag in race, culture, following and no doubt soon other personal background information. I do agree that perhaps the driver should be allowed to 'come out' however maybe he does not want to. We should therefore not judge this fact.

I just feel that people in the public focus need to have their own lives. Many years ago when I started to attend race meets you could meet the drivers up close.
Nowdays they are behind mesh fences and everyone complains. Is it no wonder when threads like this, plus press speculation force all drivers into hiding like hunted foxes ?? Is so and so gay? is he seeing so and so?. Perhaps if I joined OK or HELLO forums it would be acceptable but here I thought we discussed motor racing.

My first reaction upon meeting a gay person was don't talk, keep clear etc etc. But after a few years I have learnt that they are after all human, girls love them, they have good fashion tips to help me pull the girls and they have a sense of humour. I would not go to bed with them but I would go out with them for a few beers. The Airlines are full of them and I have little choice, sit in my hotel room or a night on the town with 13 others, boys girls or maybe's.

Simon

Old 7 Feb 2001, 21:48 (Ref:63260)   #52
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Simon,

Why close the thread when it is getting a little interesting? I mean some people say some (in my humble view,)pretty out there political stuff but that's OK, so why not hit Religion and sexual orientation?

From the posts I've read on this thread people are supportive of the issue and the tolerant view is coming through. Surely this can only be a good thing.

Plus if you closed the thread I wouldn't have seen the excellent photo above. Laughed myself silly I did.

Old 7 Feb 2001, 21:58 (Ref:63264)   #53
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AMoffat
Plus if you closed the thread I wouldn't have seen the excellent photo above. Laughed myself silly I did.
Yeah, me too! I can't believe Bernie put his hand there!
Old 7 Feb 2001, 22:24 (Ref:63271)   #54
SL
Veteran

OK Mr Moffat,

The photo was worthwhile, so good it was there twice.

It just gets me when everyone goes off topic and drags in everything else. We need a good Ex President, Jewish, Black, homosexual driver with one leg, colour blind, and cross eyed, would that make him Champion?

If he had a single male parent, bullied at school, lost all his hair at 14 and dyslexic. Could he still clip the appex? A speech problem might deter sponsers but would it make him drive slower ?? perhaps the sex change would make him lighter and faster?? If he went out with the now single Kylie would it make him / her faster still??

Please let us speculate on the colour of Alesai's Y fronts after the fastest lap in Spain, Corvette's $$$$$ funding in beating aged R & S at Daytona, Bentley's chances at Le Mans and the renewed interest in those funny yellow cars in F1.

Lets end this worthless topic.

Simon
Old 7 Feb 2001, 22:50 (Ref:63279)   #55
Invader
Veteran

Invader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Crikey Catbloke...you are so full of it.
You old bigot, you
Old 7 Feb 2001, 23:33 (Ref:63288)   #56
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Willie -

I don't care if Tris is gay or not (I don't even know he's a HE except that he says so, I can't see him through this screen) ... what I am wondering is why people still feel compelled to say "I myself am not gay" before speaking on the subject of homosexuality. First of all, how would we know if you were telling the truth or not, and second, why should it matter? It's your opinion we're interested in, not your orientation.

As far as I'm concerned, as long as I'm not in line to have a date with him, whatever he's up to with other people is not my concern.

P.S. Does Alesi wear y-fronts? I always figured him for the boxer type.
Old 7 Feb 2001, 23:43 (Ref:63290)   #57
SL
Veteran

Sorry Liz,

Should have read Aleisi's UNDERWEAR having a brownish hue after that banzai lap. I say this lest I become labelled as a homosexual for knowing what Jean wears under the Nomex

Simon
Old 8 Feb 2001, 00:14 (Ref:63297)   #58
ma
Racer

ma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SL & R :

I know the same woman that enzo spoke of & heard the same story from her & her girlfriend. What was left out was her ststement that she got hit on by almost all of the other F1 personnel & drivers ( she was was/is extremely good looking & has a massive chest), and got tired of it, so she quit hanging around them & hung around with Senna because of his professed (to her) preferences. She was not the only person at the time making those claims, there was all sorts of speculation in the press at the time.

I'm still not sure whether or not to believe it, but also don't really care either way - he was a he!! of a driver, and that's all that counts when we think of his driving career.

Rock Hudson was as gay as they get, yet does that diminish his stature as one of the greatest leading man actors of his time? Not by my book, anyway.
Old 8 Feb 2001, 10:26 (Ref:63370)   #59
Carla O
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
Carla O should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Coloured??

Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
then there are the South Americans, Spanish, Portuguese, and Thai (Prince Bira) who I don't think qualify as white.

portuguese don't qualify as white?
are you generalizing here?

Pedro Lamy AND Pedro Matos Chaves were white, as far as I know... or you think all whites are blondes?

this was a very offensive remark i think. Colour and race have nothing to do with NATIONALITY.

Old 8 Feb 2001, 20:49 (Ref:63472)   #60
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ma - Maybe Senna was gay, maybe he wasn't. I don't know, and I frankly don't care. If he was gay that was his own business, and if he wasn't gay that was also his own business. Like you said he was one he!! of a driver, that's what we should remember him for, what his sexual preferences were will only be speculation anyway.

Now - all I'm waiting for is for you to post a picture of that woman you were describing!
Old 8 Feb 2001, 21:06 (Ref:63475)   #61
redgirl
Rookie

redgirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally posted by Liz

P.S. Does Alesi wear y-fronts? I always figured him for the boxer type.

Boys, look away now. Liz - here's your answer...

"There is not a Jean Alesi without a fighter heart."
Old 8 Feb 2001, 21:11 (Ref:63476)   #62
Invader
Veteran

Okay, Catman has always irritated the sH14 out of me, we never got on socially, he was a major competitor when I had my burger bar.....he has retired which in itself I find annoying .... but who can this homosexual driver be?
Don't get me wrong.....my opinion of that person will not change in the slightest. Being gay is not my bag but it takes all sorts to make the world the interesting, controversial place it is.....if it's Schuey, I will understand why he lives with a hamster, if it's DC I would certainly not be stunned, if it's Eddie Irvine I will be shocked but I think I know who it is.
Question.....would you like to know who it is or would you see that person in a different light than you do today.
If it would alter your perception of the guy as a racing driver, I think you may need help, eh Catbloke?
Old 8 Feb 2001, 21:22 (Ref:63480)   #63
redgirl
Rookie

I think that it's pretty much common knowledge who the so-called gay F1 driver is, and it doesn't alter my perception of him one iota. Who he sleeps with doesn't affect his ability to drive a car, surely?

In this era of the pre-packaged, perfect driver, it's a refreshing change to have certain people who are not afraid to veer away from the plasticised norm. Irvine and Villeneuve say it like it is, Alesi throws blinding wobblies when it all goes wrong, and even Mr Flawless has been known to lose it sometimes, threatening poor old DC like that...

I still can't believe that Katie Price didn't guess, though...

Oops...

"There is not a Jean Alesi without a fighter heart."
Old 8 Feb 2001, 21:23 (Ref:63482)   #64
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Gay Driver, whoever he may be, hides it well. I'm with the 'Does it matter?' majority on this one.

However, there is talk at the 'Other Forum' that CATMAN posted his suggestion, that it is the driver with the same initials as Really, Straight.

But who am I to guess?
Old 8 Feb 2001, 21:30 (Ref:63484)   #65
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
It seems that staying offline last night to do my Food Technology homework was a big mistake...I've missed a lot on this topic.

As I've already said, I don't honestly care whether or not a driver is gay. This issue has been raised before, and it will be raised again. I know for a fact that the issue of a certain driver's sexuality has been raised on this very forum not so long ago, and it also resulted in some rather nasty arguing.

No matter which way a Formula 1 driver chooses to swing in terms of a partner, he can still drive the car. He can still accelerate, and brake, and do all the things that any other F1 driver can - so why do people choose to concern themselves with the matter of his sexuality? I, for one, do not honestly see the point of discussing whether a driver is gay or not because he's still a driver and whether he chooses to have a relationship with a man or a woman, it's his business and absolutely not ours.

P.S. Would we have lurking on these boards a Redgirl of Girls F1 fame, by any chance?
Old 8 Feb 2001, 21:39 (Ref:63487)   #66
Invader
Veteran

If your observations are correct, Sparky we could have a new member.....Ralf's Boy.

Still think it's Rubens.
Old 8 Feb 2001, 21:42 (Ref:63489)   #67
redgirl
Rookie

Backing you up all the way on that one, Stephie!
Old 8 Feb 2001, 21:56 (Ref:63495)   #68
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Invader
Still think it's Rubens.
Didn't CATFLAP say the driver in question wasn't married?
There's definately a Mrs Rubens - I remember the press saying that MS felt more comfortable with Rubens after Eddie, 'cos they had similar lifestyles. (ie married.)

Cripes - unless that's a cover-up too

Where will it all end?
Old 8 Feb 2001, 22:05 (Ref:63498)   #69
redgirl
Rookie

I still think it was Michael and Bernie. That picture was conclusive proof!
Old 8 Feb 2001, 22:45 (Ref:63509)   #70
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Carla, I should know because I am Portuguese. Three of my uncles are redheads and they are white, the rest of the family have olive complections. In general, having travelled through much of Portugal, only a minority have the same colour as my three redheaded uncles, most have olive completions. Same with the Spanish. Nobody in their right mind, if they saw me, would say I am white; I have a dark olive complection, so have my cousins. I only made this point because issues of colour are irrelevant in F1, and those who make generalisations can get themselves into difficult waters.
Old 8 Feb 2001, 23:11 (Ref:63522)   #71
Carla O
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
Carla O should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
Carla, I should know because I am Portuguese.
well, i am portuguese too... and i wouldn't say i have an olive complexion. neither does my sister or my parents or most of my friends.

race doesn't matter to who the person is, neither does sexuality or wealth or anything of the sort. people are people and it's what they really are that matters.

it does annoy me sometimes when friends say i look mediterranean when i really don't... it's a weird generalization.

i«m rambling, better go to bed...

Carla

PS - and replying to some posts a while ago... i met Tris last year, as far as i know he isn't gay... but from what he tells me gays do like him! heehee
Old 8 Feb 2001, 23:20 (Ref:63529)   #72
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Carla, I don't know why you should be annoyed if they say you look Mediteranean, you must look beautiful to qualify. Strange that my red headed uncle married a blonde, and his daughter has a beautiful olive complexion just like my grandmother.
Old 9 Feb 2001, 00:52 (Ref:63546)   #73
sweetbaby
Rookie

sweetbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

A wiff of gossip and were all at it like...
a bunch of hungry piranhas.

I think there's a little too much PRT...(Pre-Racr Tention)
goin on. Don't you?

Aint long now till it's "Go Go Go".
Then we'll see if anyone has a different helmet.

Oh yeah.. "'Gay' Used 2 mean he's happy..
Now Gay aint allowed." Quote from: Chaos & Disorder

Old 9 Feb 2001, 05:39 (Ref:63570)   #74
Tris
Racer

Tris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok... I should have kept up with the thread..

NeilC, Liz Willy et al... to my mind I think that there is a balance between concealment of sexuality and not allowing it to become an issue. If this driver is gay he is making an issue of his sexuality by hiding the fact that he is gay. Sexuality should not be an issue so why is it being hidden? The “cover-up” has made an issue of the guy’s sexual presences. Yes, in one way it is none of mine, yours or anybodies business., but having said that there is nothing wrong with being gay so why cover up at all?

Going totally at a tangent.... I personally do have an “image problem.” Lets say I have had to make statements about my sexuality to prevent embarrassment. With out going into too many details... I get wolf whistles from building site’s and I get a lot of attention from gay men. I have even been chatted up by drunk straight men. While it is flattering in some respects it frustrating in others, as it has impaired me in getting certain jobs done... (think about it fella’s)

Driver are PR tools more than they ever were. Lets be honest; most Ralf Schumacher fans are female and they are not mainly his fans due to his driving. Ralf shifts a lot of merchandise on the back of marketing himself in a sexual way. If Ralf suddenly was ousted as being gay (I do not think he is the one I am just using him as an illustrative figure,) it would alter his “brand image.” To what effect I dare not speculate. Gay is not in F1’s brand image at the moment. F1 is ALL about advertising these days and if it is thought that a drivers sexuality may stem sales you bet there will be a cover up. Not every one is as tolerant as “we” are. I meet a great many people who are not too cosmopolitan. People boycott products for all kinds of reasons.
Old 9 Feb 2001, 15:22 (Ref:63609)   #75
CATMAN
Racer

CATMAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Take this from another view. Drivers will play mind games to gain an edge over their rivals. Yet no one seems to be exploiting this guy.
Look again at what really is the agenda in F1.