Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Jul 2003, 19:21 (Ref:655137)   #51
Sim_Da_BTCC_Man
Veteran

Sim_Da_BTCC_Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and is it me or were ITV being paided by Octagon to flog BGP tickets. Every spare moment we heard "and dont forget, tickets are still avialble for Silverstone" or "See you at Silverstone", repeated 104 times. OK I can accept some promotion of the event but I do think they realy were getting some gain on it the amount of times it was mentioned.
Old 7 Jul 2003, 21:44 (Ref:655286)   #52
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nothing to do with Martin Brundle being rather senior in BRDC (owners of Silverstone) then?
Old 7 Jul 2003, 23:50 (Ref:655381)   #53
Paul Rayner
Veteran

Paul Rayner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Sim_Da_BTCC_Man
and is it me or were ITV being paided by Octagon to flog BGP tickets. Every spare moment we heard "and dont forget, tickets are still avialble for Silverstone" or "See you at Silverstone", repeated 104 times. OK I can accept some promotion of the event but I do think they realy were getting some gain on it the amount of times it was mentioned.
Ticket sales are down this year. If the grand prix isn't a sell out, I think it'll be the first time for about 10 years, and that reflects badly on Silverstone, and on Formula One in general. Plus the fact that for the past 9 years they've had to say "there are NO tickets available for race day, so don't just turn up at the gate", it's a bit of a public service announcement.

As for James Allen, I think he found his niche in the pit lane. He was great there. He could figure out someone's strategy, exactly what lap they would come in on, and sounded like he really enjoyed it. As for commentating though, I'd rather have Ben Edwards. He's not quite as... cheesy.

Oh, and the adverts farce! peteconnors, of course we don't like ads in the race at all, but there's an unwritten rule of motor sport TV coverage - you show the winner crossing the finish line. Even if they're 50 seconds ahead and 3rd place is overtaking 2nd, you flick to watch them take the chequered flag. I couldn't believe ITV/YTV/whoever did that.

Last edited by Paul Rayner; 7 Jul 2003 at 23:51.
Old 8 Jul 2003, 00:07 (Ref:655395)   #54
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is it any surprise that the GP isn't a sell out with the amount that they are charging this year?! It is a complete rip off and I for one wouldn't be going if i didn't have a free ticket.
Old 8 Jul 2003, 09:35 (Ref:655606)   #55
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by peteconnors
Although... how many more mistakes would JA make if he had to work 90 minutes without a break? Doesn't bear thinking about...!
He does anyway, takes a 5 second breather as he breaks for advert, then carries on for the international feed.
Old 8 Jul 2003, 10:44 (Ref:655647)   #56
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by peteconnors
I can't believe that everyone is complaining about adverts being shown on the last lap. I think it is wrong that there is adverts during the race AT ALL! Think about it, when was the last time ITV put adverts on during a football match? If they did, I know there'd be riots! Why should F1 be any different? I say have a 15 minute break before the programme starts, then again afterwards. Although... how many more mistakes would JA make if he had to work 90 minutes without a break? Doesn't bear thinking about...!
Forget about the adverts, we're stuck with them. A Grand Prix lasts for over 90 minutes at once - about 100 when you consider theessnetial pre- and post-race coverage. Football has a natural break at half time to allow for ad breaks.

if they just showed a 15 minute batch of adverts bwefore the race, everyone would switch off or turn over for the duration of that. tehrefore no one would see the adverts, so the advertisers wouldn't get anything out of it.
Old 8 Jul 2003, 11:08 (Ref:655675)   #57
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
The thing is, boots: in the football they get one ad-break either side of the interval. That is very different to what F1 receives.

It was interesting, seeing James blabber about "team orders" and the like. He was in the middle of praising WIlliams for their lack of team orders, but then he suddenly started remembering the times when Willaims very much had team orders.... perhaps he remembered the times from 2001/2002 when they tried to enact team-orders, but it was not exactly successful (the drivers just pretended not to hear them). Amusing, that is.

Then of course bot hthe Williams cars were crusing at the end, thus orders to say to stop racing - could that not be argued that it "potentially affected the outcome of the race" - or however they phrase their bull**** ruling. In other races he has talked about how ateam should swap their drivers round mid-race to aid with the team's challenge (more than one team): he is right, but theproblem isthat would surely be interfering with race results.... blah, blah, blah.

Man, it is all ********.

Anyway, I am goingto calm down and re-group.
Old 8 Jul 2003, 12:29 (Ref:655750)   #58
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
My problem with James Allen's team order rant is nothing to do with team orders. He just started spouting facts that had no basis. He went on and on about something and the most likely reason behind it was that Montoya had chosen to back off all by himself. He talks facts when he has none. I'm not against him having a little guess about things, but he should not state them AND he should consider the most likely reason rather than some pie in the shy idea.

Another example is when he stated that DC's pit problem must be due to a launch control failure. He forgot to actually watch what was going on. The reason was a far more simple mix up with the lolly pop man.

And when the camera cuts to a driver or team member he says their expression is that he would expect stereotypically NOT what they are actually doing. He says what he expects to see NOT what he (and we) do see.

And this passes over to not noticing when, as an example, Brawn doesn't have a great strategy and another team does. To a certain extent this applies to the rest of the ITV team too.

The end result is that he is not commentating on what happens he is talking rubbish.
Old 8 Jul 2003, 13:55 (Ref:655852)   #59
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Indeed, Adam. It is just ITV obssessed with trying to sell a fork as a knife. James just doesn't seem to get the point, or at least has a severe difficulty in communicating what is the point.

He spouts **** endlessly, which is infuriating.
Old 8 Jul 2003, 14:21 (Ref:655881)   #60
TuscanR
Racer

England
Hertfordshire
TuscanR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The cutting away to adverts on the last lap (which made it in to the sports pages of the daily mirror today) was a serious error of judgement, but the Transmission controller might not have had a choice. ITV will sell X amount of adverts per hour and if they had forgotten to use them all then they would of had to cut away to show the last few, this would please the advertisers (so they wont sue ITV) but not anybody watching. I have been in a similar situation when playing out live cricket, I was ordered to play adverts during the last over which missed runs to tie the match.
Old 8 Jul 2003, 14:30 (Ref:655890)   #61
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Somewhere they have just published an apology to those of you in the north (only) to whom this happened - an error apparently - at least you lot up there had something to get excited about.....
Old 8 Jul 2003, 15:43 (Ref:655938)   #62
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
badoer fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It didn't go to adverts in the normal way, it went to some ITV lgo first for several seconds. Also their were no Toyota things either side.
Old 8 Jul 2003, 16:01 (Ref:655951)   #63
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Apparently it was some guy in the northern ITV room who was at fault, not someone from the trackside f1 team. For a change, an ITV mistake we can't blame on James Allen.

This swearing thing is getting silly as well - 3 races, two utterances of adult language. Funny though, and probably the most dramatic moment of the whole race.
Old 8 Jul 2003, 18:22 (Ref:656068)   #64
TuscanR
Racer

England
Hertfordshire
Whoops wouldn't like to be in his shoes (or indeed boots !)today!!
Old 8 Jul 2003, 20:27 (Ref:656204)   #65
Sim_Da_BTCC_Man
Veteran

Sim_Da_BTCC_Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to the daily telegraph, some wazoc at Yorkshire TV accidentally pressed a button, and the ad break tape was already qued up ready, so away it went when the button was pressed.

Apparently this is ITV's excuse, as the paper carryed a public appology from them.
Old 8 Jul 2003, 21:24 (Ref:656247)   #66
bastinscully
Racer

England
Oxford
bastinscully should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I miss the BBC. [/B]
I Don`t, never rarely showed a full GP if the golf was on or live Qually at all
Old 8 Jul 2003, 22:43 (Ref:656315)   #67
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by bastinscully
I Don`t, never rarely showed a full GP if the golf was on or live Qually at all
Those where different days. When F1 started on the beeb they'd hardly show the races live because that was not the way. The beeb left us knowing F1 should be live at all times.

Their sensitivity and knowledge blows ITV away. They presented it in the light it was, not in a commercial way (to a certain extent not ITV's fault).

Can you imagine how ITV would treat Imola 1994. Badly. Jim would read the back of a ticket "Motorsport is dangerous" and try and sound cool. Idiot. They can't be sensitive when it is just a sport, how would they cope when something proper happens.

Actually, all of you imagine how that would have happened on ITV. How would Imola have happened on ITV. It doesn't bear thinking about. Think James Allen. Think Jim Rosenthal. How would they express the situation.

Seriously, think about that.

Last edited by Adam43; 8 Jul 2003 at 22:45.
Old 8 Jul 2003, 23:12 (Ref:656354)   #68
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Jim Rosenthal.

Grrr....

The whole ITV set-up just drives me ouyt of mind, it is utterly ap...

Okay, I am not going to start again...
Old 8 Jul 2003, 23:18 (Ref:656360)   #69
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe ford can buy some ad space in the last lap so webber gets a look in?

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 9 Jul 2003, 15:28 (Ref:656967)   #70
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually, all of you imagine how that would have happened on ITV. How would Imola have happened on ITV. It doesn't bear thinking about. Think James Allen. Think Jim Rosenthal. How would they express the situation.

"Anyway, bad news for Senna there at Tamburello...Stay tuned for Coronation Street after the break"
Old 9 Jul 2003, 15:40 (Ref:656989)   #71
UKFFORDSTER
Rookie

UKFFORDSTER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Webber
ITV $uck 2GP's in a row and not one on shot of WEBBER
pick your act up
AS much as I cant stand the ITV coverage with Cheesy Tony, Football Jim, Fat head ted K... It isnt their fault that MARK WEBBER hadnt been given much coverage.

The pictures we get here are chosen by the local director from all the cameras around the circuit. As fas as I have been told, ITV dont control the picture they broadcast, they just get the general broadcast feed from the Host broadcaster - You will be able to blame them for Silverstone, well you could indirectly. All the equipment and most outside broadcast personnel that bring us the ITV F1 coverage are actually BBC employees 'hired' by ITV for the F1 season ALLEGEDLY!

I never used to listen to R5 but somebody told me to get the audip from my digibox and run it with ITV pictures and it works a hell of a lot better than listening to JAMES ALLEN.
I had never heard of Jonathan Legard before I tuned into BBC RADIO 5 race coverage, but aince then have listened to the Five Live F1 show every firday night (when not on the razz!) and find Jonathan Legard beats James Allen Hands down. Not only that but they are much more insightful and intelligent about what they are saying live on air!

Now Im going to find a MW radio and take it to Silverstone so that I can tune into Radio 5, enjoy my can of beer and the race James Allen free! and dream about the day BBC get the coverage back in 2006
Old 9 Jul 2003, 15:44 (Ref:656996)   #72
UKFFORDSTER
Rookie

SHAME on any broadcaster that has the show sponsored by a competitor, commentry 50% by a shameless Ferrari fanatic who's son is called ENZO 50% by one involved with DC'c career, Punditry by a guy who's company does all the PR for BAR and an Anchor man who's first passion is footy!

Give us Jonathan Legard and Maurice Hamilton any day > They make Ben Edwards seem mediocre
Old 9 Jul 2003, 15:45 (Ref:656998)   #73
UKFFORDSTER
Rookie

I think I'll stop for a breather now *rant over*
Old 9 Jul 2003, 16:31 (Ref:657044)   #74
high contrast
Retired
Racer

high contrast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who said bring back the BBC?...and Murray Walker!...Noooooo!

Didn't any of you poor soles see Bernies GREAT F1 Digital?
It was the ultimate! Why didn't you lot support it!!!?

Adverts...Grrrrrr!!!....I love this one shot qualifying...but waiting up to see my favourite sport till midnight...I fall asleep! It's bed time ITV!!!!

And why o why! do they flash the positions up for 20 seconds before you can take it away!!!....Grrrrrr!
I now write down the laps as they happen and work it out myself quicker than ITV can bring the final positions up!

Split screen pictures were good tho, and the slow mo replay shots are excellent!...It can only get better...PLEASE ITV.

Last edited by high contrast; 9 Jul 2003 at 16:33.
Old 9 Jul 2003, 16:32 (Ref:657045)   #75
TuscanR
Racer

England
Hertfordshire
You are correct with regards to the ITV staff UKFFORDSTER I was reliably informed that when the BBC lost the F1 contract the staff they had were offered other jobs but as they had lost the football too there wasn't much to do so ITV offered most of those guys jobs with them, but that still would not have stopped the problem on sunday as that was someone back here in the UK pushing (very easy to do) the wrong button (or right button at the wrong time ) at the wrong time. I dont think that will happen again