Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 23 Oct 2008, 17:24 (Ref:2319250)   #51
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Harsh, but very true Andy!
Old 23 Oct 2008, 18:05 (Ref:2319270)   #52
JP12
Rookie

England
Bristol
JP12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is the Marcos 1800GT in the same class as the MGB and 911s? They seem very very fast for what they are. Are they extremely light of is the Volvo engine very strong?
Old 23 Oct 2008, 18:08 (Ref:2319273)   #53
Mike Sweeney
Rookie

Mike Sweeney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Bacon
"If not, then why is it that these cars all pass scrutineering?"
And
"Things like a Weber 48 instead of a 45 and a Facet fuel pump instead of an SU could easily be picked up by a scrutineer. Do they not check this at the event?"

There is no proper scrutineering at Spa or at many other events which is why certain cars do impossible times. Until the organisers police the rules my cars are staying right where they are in the workshop. If you don't cheat these days you wont be competitive.
I wonder how many more leave their cars at home for similar reasons - as classic/historic events are a sort of busmans holiday for me, I for one can't be bothered much nowadays as the playing field has distorted beyond recognition.

As for 45/48 DCOE - the castings are different for starters, plus the critical info stamped in the lid; that must be the easiest thing to spot, surely? Maybe the organisers just prefer to get the entry fees and opt out of the politics..
Old 23 Oct 2008, 18:53 (Ref:2319300)   #54
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Same as if two wires disappear into the dizzy,should tell you that somethings "Not quite right".
Old 23 Oct 2008, 19:18 (Ref:2319313)   #55
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP12
Is the Marcos 1800GT in the same class as the MGB and 911s? They seem very very fast for what they are. Are they extremely light of is the Volvo engine very strong?

Unfortunately they are ,dont agree with kit cars being in the same class as steel bodied cars.The Marcos has better aero qualities,its lighter and more powerfull,because of these atributes they also handle better than either a 911 or B.
Old 24 Oct 2008, 08:36 (Ref:2319669)   #56
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
[QUOTE=Mike Sweeney]I wonder how many more leave their cars at home for similar reasons - QUOTE]

Lots is the answer, and mines looking like becoming another one, uncompetitive but legal despite continued developement its slipping down the field
Old 24 Oct 2008, 08:58 (Ref:2319695)   #57
sidsnot
Rookie

sidsnot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sweeney
I wonder how many more leave their cars at home for similar reasons - .

? Maybe the organisers just prefer to get the entry fees and opt out of the politics..
I would love to see better scrutineering. It would only take two or three of the cheats to be thrown out at scrutineering with no refund of entry fees.
Back to the topic. To set a benchmark. First, as Mrs Beaton woul;d say, find a legal car!!!
Old 24 Oct 2008, 09:05 (Ref:2319704)   #58
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
I'm sure Zef would'nt mind that,nor would I,your more than welcome to have a look around.
Old 24 Oct 2008, 09:07 (Ref:2319709)   #59
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
well sidsnot maybe you can put yourself up as a benchmark - what car have you got and are you entirely happy its legal?
Old 24 Oct 2008, 09:07 (Ref:2319710)   #60
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
On the subject of stickier tyres like to Kumhos, Yokos and Toyos do you guys run dry sumps? Because I have lunched two engines after a race with this type of rubber in two different cars, you have to take a lot of care with sump design as I have found to my cost (just ordered another steel crank today!) if you are planning bolting on a set of these as Peter was suggesting Hosiers on his Capri. I also know Capri drivers who have suffered the same phenomenia when upgrading tyres.
Old 24 Oct 2008, 09:14 (Ref:2319721)   #61
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
SidSnot will never tell you that Simon as it would reveal his identity and I get the impression he is one of those guys that likes to be controversial while hiding behind a mask unlike you and me! ;-) With all this legal illegal thing why don't you guys do a bit of self policing as I think its just too much to expect a scrut to know the ins and outs of a vast array of cars. I think I know the answer, no one wants to be a grass and thereby lies and always will lie the problem.
Old 24 Oct 2008, 09:20 (Ref:2319724)   #62
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Anyone who cheats are only deluding themselves so personally I dont get too fussed by it!
Old 24 Oct 2008, 10:01 (Ref:2319756)   #63
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
eligibility doesn't come into the equation at scrutineering

I wouldn't go as far to say the scrutineers don't know, they just don't want to and/or are not asked to.

with such big and busy meetings there should be 2 lots anyway I suppose, 1 universal MSA/ASN for safety to get you out there and another eligibility side which is race specific, to my limited knowledge I think only the HSCC actually do this, and always have (in my time). I think MAsters have intitiated or at least intimated that they will/do also?
Old 24 Oct 2008, 10:25 (Ref:2319791)   #64
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Masters are going the right way Zef,they have not barrelled in shouting that you cant do this or that,just reminded people that the cars MUST comply,I think they have shown the correct approach in these matters the same as HSCC.The Silverstone thing really hit home as to their views on cheats. Come on Sid,rather than hide why not be brave and put a name to your convictions?
Old 24 Oct 2008, 11:00 (Ref:2319830)   #65
Mike Sweeney
Rookie

Mike Sweeney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In current GT/Sportscars we have two sets of scrutineering (safety/eligibility) pre-practice, then parc ferme after the race, where the podium finishers & selected others get scrutineered again - it's no drama and with a bit of careful organisation fits into the schedule easily enough.

Maybe it's all about the structure of the historic meetings; perhaps they have too much to cram in each day to consider eligibility a priority..
Old 24 Oct 2008, 11:16 (Ref:2319839)   #66
sidsnot
Rookie

sidsnot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gentlemen, I trust you will allow me the courtesy of accepting that my anonymity is for genuine reasons. That said, I had always hoped to enliven and in some cases even add to the varied and valid discussions taking place on this site. If my comments have caused offence then I apologise unreservedly. If it is the case, as it would appear, that there are those who feel my anonymity is detracting from the debate, whilst not apologising I feel it best to withdraw. Should we chance to meet in a sunny paddock one day I shall make a point of being brave enough to introduce myself personally. Until that day
Sid
Old 24 Oct 2008, 11:46 (Ref:2319859)   #67
Tonto
Rookie

Wales
LlanfairPG
Tonto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The rapid exit of a clutch of MGBs at HSCC a few years ago at the mention of 'capacity checks' is indicative of the extent of rule breaking. Left the grid about 6 cars lighter. The Blue Book formula for complaint is not designed for the average club racer so little used. Clubs want cars on the grid and entry fees so an element of 'dont rock the boat'?
Old 24 Oct 2008, 13:30 (Ref:2319943)   #68
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidsnot
Gentlemen, I trust you will allow me the courtesy of accepting that my anonymity is for genuine reasons. That said, I had always hoped to enliven and in some cases even add to the varied and valid discussions taking place on this site. If my comments have caused offence then I apologise unreservedly. If it is the case, as it would appear, that there are those who feel my anonymity is detracting from the debate, whilst not apologising I feel it best to withdraw. Should we chance to meet in a sunny paddock one day I shall make a point of being brave enough to introduce myself personally. Until that day
Sid
Take no notice of them. We (the management) are aware of your ident and will respect your anonymity. Therefore keep posting as you wish. You'll be told if you do anything wrong and so far there are no worries.
Old 24 Oct 2008, 13:38 (Ref:2319948)   #69
simon drabble
Veteran

Peter, you should have pumped up Mr Snot's ego no end by that endorsement!! Suffice to say no one is so important that they have to be anonymous...... if you choose to be then that is your call
Old 24 Oct 2008, 15:50 (Ref:2320054)   #70
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Simon, 'self importance' is not the only reason for anonimity; whilst I'm not a fan of it myself, I am aware of a number of reasons why some will not disclose their true identity. We have many readers who won't even register because their particular involvement in teams/clubs/organistions etc make them feel that they are precluded from always expressing their true views, so they don't join at all, which is a shame. Anyway, I do feel that we have already had this discussion on a thread created for the purpose.

The point is, is Sid's view/comment valid in the context of this thread topic? And 'no', I don't know who he is!
Old 24 Oct 2008, 15:52 (Ref:2320055)   #71
simon drabble
Veteran

even though you are management?! Dont tell me you have better chinese walls than the city!!!
Old 24 Oct 2008, 15:55 (Ref:2320056)   #72
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There's "management" and there's "Management", then there's the wife!
Old 24 Oct 2008, 16:09 (Ref:2320065)   #73
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Get on with it.People usually have a good reason to use odd names but having started this anti odd names a few months ago realise some people are not in a position to put their heads above the parapet,They have told me.Still want to know which one Christopher Tate uses,is it Wills,Mallet but now my moneys on Bower
Of course its nonsense for people who don't have a good reason
Old 24 Oct 2008, 16:27 (Ref:2320079)   #74
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
It can't be me,I've never posted on here before using my own name!
I come to the conclusion that Sid is a spy for the MSA and that he will report back to them on the bent cars and modifications disclosed on here.

Now back to reality. Tonto [How!],that was my point,all that needs to be done is exactly that.So what if a dozen cars dont go out to practice,there are always plenty of reserves.
Old 24 Oct 2008, 16:28 (Ref:2320081)   #75
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
There's "management" and there's "Management", then there's the wife!

Errr,iz er name Ron.?