Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 9 Apr 2004, 13:18 (Ref:935196)   #51
ford boy
Veteran

ford boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has the 94 Bowe/Johnson car been completely restored yet?
I was up there last year and they had it on the hoist doing work to it but looked as if it did'nt need to much work to be completed.
Old 9 Apr 2004, 14:02 (Ref:935227)   #52
Group'C'
Racer

Australia
Hobart /Tasmania
Group'C' should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Group'C'

Garry Rogers still has the 2000 Bathurst winning car, He had a run in the car at Baskerville a couple of weeks ago. [/B]
Old 10 Apr 2004, 15:02 (Ref:935845)   #53
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by F|sh
nonz i think that we also have the group C sista car to moffats RX-7 im not sure though be best to talk to chris mckenzie about that one. i'll find out soon.
One of Moffats RX7s is up here in Qld in the Bowden collection, it was the car Charles Ryman bought as a return to racing the family thing having been a rally driver in the previous life.

Charles sold the car to Bowdens which parially funded his first EL Supercar. He trashed that and bought another, both were ex-Seton, but I believe only the second came to him direct from Setons. The first IIRC was the West Coast Racing car that Claude Giorgi and/or Allan McCarthy drove.

A few cars were wrecekd at Lakeside over the years weren't they.....
Old 10 Apr 2004, 15:07 (Ref:935847)   #54
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
Not quite Supercar, but I was wondering about the lineage of the various Jaguar XJS cars John Goss ran at Bathurst from 1980 to 1986....

People close to that team suggest that there was only one shell in use for the entire time, while more recent publications suggest the shell for 1986 was a TWR shell, and that TW took it back, flogged it off in Europe as Martin Brundle's race winner....
Thats the reason why the Citibank Jag was so slow in '86 compared to the green machines in '85. All three green cars went home. One was sold privately to a guy called Lloyd, another remianed in Walkinshaw's possesion right up until the end of TWR and was auctioned.

The Citibank car is the much used and abused ex-Group C car.
Old 10 Apr 2004, 15:09 (Ref:935849)   #55
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by ford boy
Has the 94 Bowe/Johnson car been completely restored yet?
I was up there last year and they had it on the hoist doing work to it but looked as if it did'nt need to much work to be completed.
Thats not the '94 car.

The Bathurst winner was updated to EF and handed to Bowe who wrecked at Phillip Island. The car was unrestorable. The car being resoted in DJRs workshops as amock-up of the '94 winner is Dicks '93 Bathurst car, controversially wrecked in an accident with the O'Brien sky blue VL at Reid Park.
Old 10 Apr 2004, 16:16 (Ref:935884)   #56
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
tiko: briefly when they had two VS car, the Challenge Recruitment team had two Bathurst winners in their shed, two Perkins cars, the 93 & 97 cars ran as team mates briefly later in life.
Old 10 Apr 2004, 19:12 (Ref:935976)   #57
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Falcadore
Thats the reason why the Citibank Jag was so slow in '86 compared to the green machines in '85. All three green cars went home. One was sold privately to a guy called Lloyd, another remianed in Walkinshaw's possesion right up until the end of TWR and was auctioned.

The Citibank car is the much used and abused ex-Group C car.
IIRC, 2 of the 1985 Jags were converted to left hand drive for Bathurst 1986, but sponsorship arrangements fell through so they never arrived. The Goss 86 car was his old Jag with some TWR bits in it.
I'm sure there were originally 4 TWR XJS' built, 3 for the 1984 ETC and 1 for the 1984 Bathurst (which they ended up using the Goss car for). Not sure which 3 of the 4 came to Bathurst in 1985. (although I wouldn't be surprised if #8 was the "unraced" car).
Old 10 Apr 2004, 22:58 (Ref:936127)   #58
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From Noonz: "Just Do It - Is that the VP Ed Lamont owns? It's an ex Brock Advantage Racing Mobil car if thats the case. There's a new V8 in NZ now - the first VT built by HRT is now converted to VY with a 6 litre engine and is owned by Greg Murphy Racing to use as an NZ ride car for its supporters club - it was sourced from Paul Morris Motorsport."

Mate, I didn't know that Ed Lamont still owned a Commodore at all. I have kept a letter from Lamont for the "Wall of Kickers" area for my own race team. I haven't read it for ages, but I think he said I was too poor to make it. The AC Delco VP that you have mentioned is....god knows where. I suspect there are probably a few kicking around in the South Island where there is a strong endurance racing series held every winter.
You might like to get hold of The Open Sports Car Association down there and ask around. It might actually unearth you a treasure trove of all sorts. There are two, if not three, BMW Super Tourers down there, and an assortment of god knows what else.

The cars I was referring to.... One is an ex-Brock HRT car with a Hollinger that is ex-Ellery if I remember rightly. The second car I am less sure about. I have an idea that they are "unofficially" for sale, so if anyone knows any buyers for such a classic piece of Australian Motorsport Memoriabilia, I can help you.

I cannot fathom why Murph would have to run a 6 litre motor in an old VT that has been converted to a VY to offer rides in NZ. Maybe it's a lazier engine? Surely it doesn't run on Dunlop control tyres, so any data sourced would be rendered virtually useless.
Is it $750 for a three lap ride? They must sell like hot cakes as his website makes no mention of them. How many days are they doing?
Old 10 Apr 2004, 23:19 (Ref:936138)   #59
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is 6 litre for the same reason HRT's PR2 ride car is 5.7L, the car is easier to drive and gets better engine life when it doesnt have to have the ring wrung out of it... they can get 3,000km out of an engine between rebuilds if the rev limits are sensible....

Besides which, the AVESCO/TEGA mob are said not to be amused at having a current model car around the place for virtually unlimikted testing.... even if it is a VY bodied VX....
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 11 Apr 2004, 03:09 (Ref:936198)   #60
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes but the tyres could be different. Look how long it took some teams to get the switch from Bridgestone to Dunlop sorted.

If you ran Yokohamas or something, it cannot be an issue as all data is redundant, put some ballast in the car and make it heavier.

One thing though, no one can restrain you from doing it. That is illegal.
Old 11 Apr 2004, 03:24 (Ref:936203)   #61
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They are running Yokohamas.... old stock/designs from the GMS days as I understand it...
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 11 Apr 2004, 03:37 (Ref:936209)   #62
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Unreal stuff guys , im simply amazed as to where some of these cars end up.
Old 11 Apr 2004, 04:27 (Ref:936216)   #63
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by marcus
Unreal stuff guys , im simply amazed as to where some of these cars end up.
Marcus,

Would you believe a GMS Wynns VS moved to England, acquired a 6 litre and was running in the equivalent of Brit Sports Sedans?

On the flipside, at Archerfield Speedway, a red painted VS sits forlorn and abandoned in fairly poor shape sitting next to a bunch of Mitsubishi Sigma 'Wobbler' speedway hacks.

Last edited by Falcadore; 11 Apr 2004 at 04:29.
Old 11 Apr 2004, 05:20 (Ref:936221)   #64
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
yeah I remember a thread abouyt the one that went to the UK Falcadore , Im actually trying to hunt for it now and post it here.

the one at Archerfield speedway , any idea as to what car it is ?
Old 11 Apr 2004, 05:34 (Ref:936230)   #65
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
No. I think Todd Wanless has something to do with it. I'll ask next time I see him.
Old 11 Apr 2004, 12:17 (Ref:936448)   #66
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
and of course I cant find the thread now
Old 13 Apr 2004, 00:11 (Ref:937758)   #67
tiko
Racer

tiko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where is the 95 perkins/ingall bathurst winning car and the 96 lowndes/murphy bathurst winning car?
Old 13 Apr 2004, 01:39 (Ref:937800)   #68
CooperS79
Racer

Australia
Wollongong
CooperS79 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does Wesley May have the 95 winner or is his the 93 rig?
Old 13 Apr 2004, 02:29 (Ref:937812)   #69
bondy_racing
Racer

Australia
Sydney,NSW,Australia
bondy_racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
im pretty sure his is the 93 rig, i think chris butler had the 95 winner ? or it might be the 93 one which he sold to Wesley?
#28 Arrow Australia, Hurst Race Engines, Kart One Racing, Sik-Fx Helmet Painting
Old 13 Apr 2004, 02:59 (Ref:937822)   #70
White Knight

Quote:
yeah I remember a thread abouyt the one that went to the UK Falcadore , Im actually trying to hunt for it now and post it here.
Brought by Ric Wood who used it (still does) in Formuala Saloons, a category for older Super Tourers, Group N GTs and Group A. Wood won the the opening round of the 2003 series but shortly after opted to go back to his Calibra V8.

See more here, www.ricwood.com/holden.htm

Old 13 Apr 2004, 05:40 (Ref:937863)   #71
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Tah very muchly White Knight ,shame he decidied to change cars though
Old 13 Apr 2004, 09:27 (Ref:938028)   #72
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
As I understand it, the 1993 and 1995 Bathurst winners are currently in the hands of the boys down at Independent Race Cars, each undergoing some restoration work.

The 93 Perkins/Hansford Holden-powered car has been converted back to VP bodywork, and is in better-than-raced condition for professional golfer Richard Green to enjoy.

The 97 Perkins/Ingall VS Chev-powered car is being worked on in the same facility for another customer.

So its nice to see some of the heritage of the sport kept fresh and neat by some of the craftsmen in the field
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 14 Apr 2004, 01:09 (Ref:938942)   #73
Noonz1
Rookie

Noonz1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GTR, not quiet right.
I am doing a series on the Bathurst winning Supercars for Australian Muscle Car which is coming out soon.
93 car is Wes May's sitting in their garage in Newcastle, still in VS spec. Richard Green has the 1995 car and that is going to be a restoration job. 97 car has been restored already by IRC.
Old 14 Apr 2004, 02:45 (Ref:938989)   #74
kb5832
Rookie

Australia
South Australia
kb5832 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Noonz1,

Can't wait for the mag. I aswell collect chassis history and at present have HRT covered from about 94 til present and have some other odds and sods. Yesterday I purchased the 2002 Bathurst year book which is helping me with more teams.

I am working on this with a mate who emailed you Graeme Millhouse. It is interesting to see where all the cars end up.

Is there any chance of getting some info off you? Just holden history. Like I said it is for personal use and won't be published for any financal ganes.

Cheers

Cracker
Old 14 Apr 2004, 06:48 (Ref:939082)   #75
Group'C'
Racer

Australia
Hobart /Tasmania
Group'C' should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Noonz 1

Gary Cannan's car is the EX Price Attack/Ampol Max3 VP and is now a VS. Chassis No is CT001 it was built for Bob Jones by Dencar and is identical to the 2 cars built at the same time for Brock's Advantage team.

The Xerox (Scotty Taylor) car is now with Peter Champion in QLD and is back in Winfield livery, I beleive it may have been at Bathurst for the parade last year?, this chassis is the No 2 built by Gibson Motorsport.

I spoke to Kerry baily at his 50th birthday last weekend and he did have the Diet Coke shell that Morris crashed at Lakeside and sold it to Ultra Tune in 97 as i said before. The shell had no log book as Alcair got this when they purchased the rest of the bits from Morris. I'm sure Kerry or Steve Voight can help as they both told me the same thing.
Look foward to reading your story