Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 2 Jan 2006, 09:51 (Ref:1493309)   #51
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Disaster! I got a set top box today, set it up, tuned it in, and - no bloody ABC! It has picked up all the other channels but not the normal ABC or ABC2. I looked up the Melb ABC digital transmission frequency (226.5MHz) and tried to do a manual tune but it still would not pick up the channel...

I'll have to get onto Dick Smith's & get it sorted out by the time the show is repeated!
Old 2 Jan 2006, 09:54 (Ref:1493311)   #52
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
storyline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting - I had a similar thing with ABC2 - Q for you - is this a HD box you are outputting to an SD TV?
Old 2 Jan 2006, 10:24 (Ref:1493334)   #53
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875
Disaster! I got a set top box today, set it up, tuned it in, and - no bloody ABC! It has picked up all the other channels but not the normal ABC or ABC2.
I picked up a Soniq SD box and it tuned in fine. Mind you I installed it at a friends place as my Antenna is currently caput and I rely on Foxtel (Analog) for my TV Fix.
Old 2 Jan 2006, 10:33 (Ref:1493337)   #54
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Yes a SD box storyline, I feel a HD would be pointless at this stage without any other HD equipment to complement it, and by that time they should be integrated & all sorts of other improvements.

PVDA, I suspect it might be either a tuning issue (will read instructions fully!) or a reception issue, the signal strength and quality varies a bit but is generally on the lower side.
Old 2 Jan 2006, 10:36 (Ref:1493340)   #55
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
ive just gone through my EPG and there is no mention of it at all !!!!!!!

question ?
this is available on Austar right ?

I have ABC2 on there , dont watch it that much but all it says for tonight is "late Night Legends" and then station close.

I guess in about an hour I will find out.
Old 2 Jan 2006, 10:39 (Ref:1493341)   #56
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Late night legends is the show all right
Old 2 Jan 2006, 10:40 (Ref:1493342)   #57
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Oh great.

thanks John , I hope you get yours sorted
Old 2 Jan 2006, 10:50 (Ref:1493353)   #58
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Oh well, at least I had my tv fix with Top Gear. Caravan conkers, does it get any better than that??? And people bag the Michael Stahl show!
Old 2 Jan 2006, 13:53 (Ref:1493464)   #59
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was great stuff! I have the Warwick Farm race on Video but the copy is crap so to see it a touch clearer was terrific. I wasn't expecting the Adelaide race which was the week after the Sandown round which was my first ever live Motorsport experience.
Looking forward to later in the week when the later F5000 races should be in Colour.
Interesting that I approached the ABC about 2 years back asking about old race footage and I was told it had all been destroyed, thrown out. Clearly if this stuff is there what else may lurk in the Aunty's bowells.
Old 2 Jan 2006, 19:17 (Ref:1493606)   #60
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875
Oh well, at least I had my tv fix with Top Gear. Caravan conkers, does it get any better than that??? And people bag the Michael Stahl show!
Isnt the Michael Stahl show the exact same thing, albeit without the conkers??

The Stig = The Chip...
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 2 Jan 2006, 21:49 (Ref:1493711)   #61
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Chip........Warren Luff

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 3 Jan 2006, 01:33 (Ref:1493808)   #62
noodles
Rookie

noodles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasn't that a blast! Some great old footage that takes me back to toddler days.

I had to laugh when the special comments commentator (can't call him the colour man like they do in the US for obvious reasons) was telling us about Chris Amon and his car, "the red Ferrari". At the time, the camera was focussing on Graham Hill anyway.

On the same note, can anyone shed any light on that commentator. I believe his name was Bill Bryce, and something was mentioned about him being a BBC motoring correspondent? I recall my father having a friend with that name living in Melbourne around that period, possibly a few years later, but I don't remember any details of his profession.
Old 3 Jan 2006, 02:06 (Ref:1493815)   #63
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
At least Top & 5th Gear do have such blatant advertorials disguised as stories as both Drive or the Car Show have.
Old 3 Jan 2006, 02:51 (Ref:1493820)   #64
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fan...tastic

Great TV (for the time)...I was 19 and leaning on the fence at that one....loved the digital TV faithfull reproduction of all the original video tape faults ....had trouble initially getting used to the lack of cameras...laps seemed like 30 seconds for a while and may well have been if it was put together after the event.

Bring on the Tourers....go Big Pete
Old 3 Jan 2006, 03:13 (Ref:1493827)   #65
Head Rev
Racer

Australia
Australia
Head Rev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about the "graphics" when they showed the grid positions, you could even hear the scrolling noise as they scrolled the paper roll down showing the grid positions. Haven't we come a long way from literally hand drawn racing cars and hand writen names and times on a roll of paper to the graphics we have today. Great coverage and wasn't it great to see the F5000's at the new Adelaide International Raceway!! Interesting one of the commentators on the coverage (AIR) is Alan Marks who is still around and on occasions does some commentary at Mallala, especially when the historics are on.

Brilliant television, can't wait to see the tourers tonight.
Old 3 Jan 2006, 05:53 (Ref:1493844)   #66
Matthew Ronke
Veteran

Australia
NSW
Matthew Ronke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was terrific racing as well. Amon and Hill put a show on. Although I was confused to which car Hulme was in the commentator kept switching his number between 8 & 1. Looking forward to tonight and the Touring Cars although I hope they shorten Lex intro by about 3 - 4 minutes tonight.
Old 3 Jan 2006, 06:33 (Ref:1493849)   #67
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Masterclass from Jim Clark on how to win a motor race or what? Wasn't Jack having a go.

I was suprised (pleasantly) to see the F5000 race from AIR at the end, quite a cracker. Amazingly covered by just two camera's!

You can see why at the time Open-Wheelers were as popular as saloon cars.

Yes i agree lets hope they contain Lex at the start, better yet why have an intro at all, just go straight to the action.
Old 3 Jan 2006, 09:17 (Ref:1493937)   #68
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can see why at the time Open-Wheelers were as popular as saloon cars.
When the F5000's died and they went to the anemic Formula Pacific, that was beginning of the end for roadracing Openwheelers in this country.
Old 3 Jan 2006, 09:52 (Ref:1493967)   #69
XW GT
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
XW GT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The commentators made Leigh Diffey look pretty good
Old 3 Jan 2006, 13:17 (Ref:1494090)   #70
Head Rev
Racer

Australia
Australia
Head Rev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by XW GT
The commentators made Leigh Diffey look pretty good
I think they did pretty good considering the primitive conditions they would have worked in. Also, no computers to give them lap times or gaps or other misc information, no communication with 'race control'!!!!, infact very little compared to what they have today.

Don't forget that Norman May was not a motorsport expert, but a general sports commentator for the ABC, he especially covered Rugby in those days (used to watch him commentate the Rugby from the old Cumberland Oval).

Again, brillant coverage from the Golden Years of motorsport. Perhaps an email to the ABC stating out appreciation wouldn't go astray.
Old 4 Jan 2006, 00:57 (Ref:1494494)   #71
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Norman Nugget May

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head Rev
Again, brillant coverage from the Golden Years of motorsport. Perhaps an email to the ABC stating out appreciation wouldn't go astray.
Amen to that Rev....and watch the ABC shops/lobby the ABC shops to release a DVD of the Late Night Legends series
Old 4 Jan 2006, 01:05 (Ref:1494495)   #72
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Clark and Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Ronke
It was terrific racing as well. Amon and Hill put a show on. Although I was confused to which car Hulme was in the commentator kept switching his number between 8 & 1. Looking forward to tonight and the Touring Cars although I hope they shorten Lex intro by about 3 - 4 minutes tonight.
Terrific is probably too tame a word Matt

...I could easily discriminate between the two lead Loti because....Clark (5?) was scrunched right down in the cockpit...whilst Hill (6?) was head and shoulders out of the cockpit with his very distinctive dark helmet with vertical stripes.

Piers Courage is the one who impressed me...1600 car monstoring the V8s

Bring on the Tourers
Old 4 Jan 2006, 01:28 (Ref:1494501)   #73
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
For those that watched the Warwick Farm Tourers (sorry - Improved Touring Cars - wouldn't that upset a few of todays IP drivers?) - comes Trivia Question No 1.

Which incident would have caused the red flag to be used if the race had been run today?

a) The Cortina heading off drivers left?
b) The Cortina and Mini collision?
c) The mini going off drivers right
d) Bob Holdens impact on pit entry
e) The pit crew who were wearing shorts and thongs (Bob Janes car)
f) All of the above

Ansers, written on the back of a stamped self addressed enveloped to be received by CAMS, Dandenong Road, Malvern by close of business Jan 6th, 2007!
Old 4 Jan 2006, 07:45 (Ref:1494576)   #74
gts300
Racer

Australia
gts300 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by storyline
Which incident would have caused the red flag to be used if the race had been run today?

a) The Cortina heading off drivers left?
b) The Cortina and Mini collision?
c) The mini going off drivers right
d) Bob Holdens impact on pit entry
e) The pit crew who were wearing shorts and thongs (Bob Janes car)
f) All of the above
g) The valiant (charger?) at the causway minus 1 wheel
h) Flaggies working unprotected alongside the track

I'm sure there were many more examples, but didn't both nights telecasts highlight the difference 30 odd years has made to everything;
  • depth of the field, there were really only 3 or 4 cars at the pointy end
  • quality of the broadcast, Norman May (gold, gold, gold! was only 8 years later) and the rest of the commentry was patchy by todays standards, AIR Tasman was covered with 1 camera.
  • safety standards, particularly for trackside officials
Anyway, ABC get my vote for putting this weeks archive to air, its been a real buzz so far.
Old 4 Jan 2006, 07:57 (Ref:1494579)   #75
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
Regardless of the shortcomings, they were excellent.

Re the Charger - not sure but it didn't look like a wheel off the Charger when it ran downhill - it was more like one of the tyres from the barrier.

And yes - the flaggies wouldn't last a minute by todays standards - but isn't this partly what has improved in motor racing? (and don;t forget - we are looking at this with the benfit of 35 years hindsight!)