Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 25 Jan 2003, 23:26 (Ref:485941)   #51
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Mr Jinxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Prophetic stuff about scrutineers standards from bella!! We had the same problem at Spa in FFord a year or so ago. They were horrid!
Sit in a chair, lift your right leg off the ground, point your toes forward and draw CLOCKWISE circles in the air with your foot. Then raise your right hand and draw the number 6 in the air with your index finger. Your foot will change direction. If you can't even do this simple coordination task, how could you drive a racing car?
Old 25 Jan 2003, 23:38 (Ref:485952)   #52
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
uh, sorry about that. just seem to remember a drunken conversation with a eurocup team manager type - 'well, that'd be illegal. and that's definitely not within our rules...'
Old 25 Jan 2003, 23:40 (Ref:485954)   #53
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
lol - drunken conversations are the best
Sit in a chair, lift your right leg off the ground, point your toes forward and draw CLOCKWISE circles in the air with your foot. Then raise your right hand and draw the number 6 in the air with your index finger. Your foot will change direction. If you can't even do this simple coordination task, how could you drive a racing car?
Old 25 Jan 2003, 23:44 (Ref:485958)   #54
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
yeah, according to this one i'm still owed a test in a renault
Old 25 Jan 2003, 23:48 (Ref:485960)   #55
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
a test in the back of a Renault 5 you mean?? I'm still owed one of those But he never showed up.
Old 26 Jan 2003, 00:49 (Ref:486017)   #56
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simmons
Old 26 Jan 2003, 01:42 (Ref:486066)   #57
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
lol - no!

Provisional results are now:

1. Bell
2. Simmons
3. Murphy
4. Conway
5. McMullen
6. Richards
7. Hall
8. Imery
9. Bessette
10. Larriera

"Officials are sorting out various infractions regarding on-track incidents and technical issues before releasing full final results.
Final results will be posted as soon as they become available"
Old 26 Jan 2003, 01:51 (Ref:486076)   #58
El_Gibleto
Veteran

El_Gibleto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have they applied the "driving faster than an amrican rule" yet? :-)
Old 26 Jan 2003, 02:11 (Ref:486082)   #59
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow...sounds like it was a real scrapper! Would love to have seen it.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 26 Jan 2003, 02:12 (Ref:486083)   #60
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
These results are still provisional, so Rob Bell may get the same treatment yet! Although I doubt it.

My understanding is that Motaworld are not flavour of the month With the Italian team (who have allegedly threatened to put a bomb under the Motaworld truck tonight) or with the scrutineers for some reason!

Hellf1re, I wish I was there to see it all!! Sounds like really good fun!
Old 26 Jan 2003, 02:19 (Ref:486086)   #61
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
I can't really repeat what I have been told, because there is bound to be an element of bias, and the debate continues, but I believe a few folk were fired into the wall like a normal karting weekend, we are apparently talking bomb threats, we are allegedly talking an Italian team going ape**** ... we are talking about a real war. Rats, and it's not even televised!!

Who said Formula Renault was without incident and uninteresting!!
Old 26 Jan 2003, 02:37 (Ref:486096)   #62
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
where's the reality tv show when you need it?
Old 26 Jan 2003, 13:57 (Ref:486437)   #63
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Latest update, Motaworld folk have been studying the regs for hours and hours, and they did NOT infringe any technical regs on Lloyd's car, but there is apparently no mechanism for protesting the decision. Can't even get a lawyer to reverse the decision on the grounds that it is plainly incorrect.

Word is that Bell will be the next to have a spurious decision made about him/his car if he puts in another good performance today. That would put Jeff Simmons, the American driver, in a good position for the championship, as he is pretty steady, albeit not quick enough on merit.

Robert Scott the other Motaworld driver, who was also very quick, has been fined 5k for an alleged driving offence and has been banned from racing today. He is on the flight home now in disgust.

I find it difficult to believe that such a meeting could be run in so shambolic a fashion, especially in the US. I could understand it in some European countries, but I would have thought it would have been slick and really well run in America. Has anyone else had any such experiences in America, and is there anything to be done? I doubt Motaworld feel very inclined to go to Homestead and St Petersburg now after this.
Old 26 Jan 2003, 14:02 (Ref:486443)   #64
Russfeld
Veteran

didnt simmons qualify in the top 5? That quick enough on merit imo. And I cant beleive the decisions arent appealable, Fran-Am is sanctioned by Grand-Am/NASCAR isnt it?
Old 26 Jan 2003, 14:16 (Ref:486455)   #65
El_Gibleto
Veteran

El_Gibleto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems the "going faster than an american" rule is been enforsed with full intensity!
Old 26 Jan 2003, 14:20 (Ref:486460)   #66
Russfeld
Veteran

US racing has very different rules from European. The drivers and teams need to be aware of this. Im not surprised a euro driver got slapped with afine and a ban for rough driving. If they wont play by our rules, its probably best that he is on the next flight home *shrug*
Old 26 Jan 2003, 14:33 (Ref:486472)   #67
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
what a bunch of chimps! rough driving??
pah!
Old 26 Jan 2003, 14:37 (Ref:486477)   #68
Russfeld
Veteran

I agree, US rules ar eway too strict and 'girly' but at the end of the day you wont change them so you might as well play within them. Most junior level racecraft is a bit silly anyways, they could do with some restraint.
Old 26 Jan 2003, 14:54 (Ref:486485)   #69
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
I can understand the rough driving bit, as I think driving standards generally have slumped, but it seems harsh that Scott was fined and banned, whereas the Argentinian, Ponte, who didn't finish the race, was not, and his driving standards were deplorable. Much as I love our South American brethren, it does seem like different standards have been applied at this meeting for the Europeans, particularly the British.

Simmons did get it together by qualifying, Russfeld, but was still 4/10ths off the pace. I understand he was not on the ultimate race pace either. There were 4 cars on that pace, Lloyd, Scott, Ponte and I think it was Mandarino. Ponte is the biggest danger, because Alex reckons he is genuinely quick, and also a dirty driver. However his opening laps on cold tyres weren't brilliant, he was erratic apparently, which may be enough for someone to make a break from him. When his new tyres did come in, however, he was very quick.

Obviously my particular concern is for Alex, whose driving standards were not queried, despite having been driven off the road 2 or 3 times by our Argentinian chum (including having his exhaust broken by him) ... but I find it completely incredulous that there are no appeal processes. But the officials say not, and again I am told that when the alleged technical infringement was pointed out to be wrong, the scrutineers just shrugged. Gallically.

Anyway, next qualifying happens in 5 mins, so we'll see what that brings!
Old 26 Jan 2003, 15:04 (Ref:486493)   #70
racingdick
Veteran

racingdick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
keep us posted pal,
us here in dreary old britain, or wales to be exact are ready and waiting.
Old 26 Jan 2003, 15:30 (Ref:486508)   #71
racingdick
Veteran

racingdick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
gotta go, but if theres any major developments. someone pls txt me, number in profile

Last edited by racingdick; 26 Jan 2003 at 15:33.
Old 26 Jan 2003, 15:57 (Ref:486530)   #72
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
will do!! Have fun :-))
Old 26 Jan 2003, 16:00 (Ref:486532)   #73
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
no appeal processes? what is it with american governing institutions and not listening to people?
Old 26 Jan 2003, 16:22 (Ref:486535)   #74
Russfeld
Veteran

well in the case you're referring to once you get to the supreme court thats the law. However in the case of this particular series it seems there's no administration
Old 26 Jan 2003, 17:03 (Ref:486556)   #75
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In all fairness to the Americans though (I'm defending Americans, you know it'll be goodf!), I think they're tighter rules with respect to rough driving come from the fact that American open-wheel racing was originally mainly oval based, and a stupid move could get you killed, even in the trainer cars. Which is why even today, any kind of 'dirty' move will quickly see you DQed. But, I agree they don't need to be so anal for junior events like this.

I'd be surprised if they were single out the brits though, as it's a Grand Am event, and I'd think they'd value the reputation of the series above the reputation of any drivers. Does that sound so crazy? Maybe I need a dose of reality...

I looked through the rules, but I can't find anything about Dangerous driving...then again the Cart sanctioned series have had a long history of imposing penalties not in the rule book in an effort to be what they see as "fair"....and POing a lot of people in the meantime

Last edited by Jay; 26 Jan 2003 at 17:04.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes