Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 22 Apr 2010, 17:59 (Ref:2677978)   #51
scottishsoilder
Rookie

Scotland
North Yorkshire
scottishsoilder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Back home now, many thanks to Ian and Dennis and the rest for all their hard work in getting everything sorted. Hopefully everyone else will be back home soon.
Old 22 Apr 2010, 20:24 (Ref:2678057)   #52
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The remainder of us have all checked in at Abu Dhabi. All on same flight. Manchester pax are being bussed up to Manchester from Heathrow.

Many. many thanks to Dennis, Ian, Heather and Anita for all the behind the scenes work that they have done over the last week in order to get us all back to the UK. Your all stars.

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 22 Apr 2010, 22:29 (Ref:2678130)   #53
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly 1 View Post
Manchester pax are being bussed up to Manchester from Heathrow.
Maybe the bus could make a brief stop at Corby on the way...say for 2 days
Old 23 Apr 2010, 07:23 (Ref:2678246)   #54
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mike,

By now you'll have seen the "directive" from on high about covering your "extra holiday" period. Hope it won't mess up any future plans for abroad trips if you don't have the available leave left. (At least the Union is on the case.)

I hope everyone else has more caring and understanding employers.
Old 23 Apr 2010, 08:10 (Ref:2678271)   #55
SRPhoto
Veteran

Wales
Wrexham
SRPhoto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We are on the busses now from London to Manchester. 3 etihad chartered busses are taking us and other public to Manchester. It was a great trip, but glad to be on my way home now!

BMMC Member since Oct 2001
Marshalled my first Rally on 9th March 2002 (Malcolm Wilson Rally)
Marshalled my first Race on 6th April 2002 (750MC - Oulton Park)
Marshalled my first British F1 GP 18th/20th July 2003
Old 23 Apr 2010, 10:06 (Ref:2678323)   #56
Beardy359
Racer

England
Wiltshire
Beardy359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just got home but wanted to add my own thanks to Dennis, Ian, ADMM and any others involved in looking after us on the trip and getting us back again- stars one and all! At least it's still sunny here, if colder so readjusting won't be too hard!
Old 23 Apr 2010, 11:00 (Ref:2678353)   #57
Mark Baines
Rookie

Mark Baines should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well i do not no where to start first of all massive thanks to admm barc etc,we had a blast amazing circuit stunning country and i met some great freinds,so from yorkshire airlines raise a glass to iceland and to my new freinds you were fantastic you know who you are THANKYOU
Old 23 Apr 2010, 12:09 (Ref:2678389)   #58
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh View Post
I hope everyone else has more caring and understanding employers.
Interesting statement. Most private employers won't - probably couldn't afford to - cover the loss of an employee for several weeks, and it's equally unfair on those who have covered everyone's work if they don't get a similar period of extended leave. In addition, the employer may have had to obtain paid cover - temps or supply workers, increasing their costs.

If I'm delayed under normal circumstances I would expect to have to take extra leave, I can see no difference if you're delayed due to abnormal circumstances.

Like you I work in the public sector, and I can imagine the outcry from those that don't if public servants are given extra holiday. Local Govt advice seems to be the same as HMR&C - if you have holiday, take it, if you don't or it's fixed dates, negotiate a reasonable period of repayment.

Unfortunate, but there you go. Insurance should cover it, although I bet it doesn't.
Old 23 Apr 2010, 12:36 (Ref:2678401)   #59
ss24355261
Racer

United Kingdom
mansfield
ss24355261 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
steve swallow
Got back home at 5pm last night. What can i say a big thanks to Ian and Dennis and all those involved for looking after us so well a very big thank you.
Old 23 Apr 2010, 13:33 (Ref:2678431)   #60
turbo-ww
Racer

England
turbo-ww should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome back Chaps!
Old 23 Apr 2010, 15:00 (Ref:2678490)   #61
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Interesting statement. Most private employers won't - probably couldn't afford to - cover the loss of an employee for several weeks, and it's equally unfair on those who have covered everyone's work if they don't get a similar period of extended leave. In addition, the employer may have had to obtain paid cover - temps or supply workers, increasing their costs.

If I'm delayed under normal circumstances I would expect to have to take extra leave, I can see no difference if you're delayed due to abnormal circumstances.

Like you I work in the public sector, and I can imagine the outcry from those that don't if public servants are given extra holiday. Local Govt advice seems to be the same as HMR&C - if you have holiday, take it, if you don't or it's fixed dates, negotiate a reasonable period of repayment.

Unfortunate, but there you go. Insurance should cover it, although I bet it doesn't.
But its beyond your control so it penalises those that got stuck. OK so those in Abu Dhabi seem to have been very well looked after but the majority of people stuck have horrific tales, i'd hardly call that a holiday. If you are a salaried employee and cannot attend work through external causes like this, heavy snow or high winds then the company should still pay you your salary. The heavy snow at the beginning of the year caused all sorts of people at my place to get stuck at home, as long as you weren't trying to take the wee you should have been paid. I've been sent home after high winds caused our roof to fall apart, i still got paid in full. OK so this is more extreme and for a longer period, but i don't see how its any different
Old 23 Apr 2010, 16:37 (Ref:2678552)   #62
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Airlines should already be paying compensation (and you could argue they should receive some reimbursement for factors outside their control). Other delays and losses ought to be covered by insurance although I expect them to try and wriggle out of it. It sure as heck isn't the employer's responsibility in difficult financial times, and with cuts guaranteed soon it's not something the public sector can afford either. It's nice if they can and do, but it's not a requirement. You could equally argue that those that were at work and had to do extra to cover for their colleagues should be given the same additional allowance, although I personally can't advocate that either.

Having said that, I do hope that none of our AD colleagues suffer as a result of being away.

(Bringing this nicely back on topic)!
Old 23 Apr 2010, 18:02 (Ref:2678614)   #63
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Back home at 5.45pm after dropping Tom off in Norfolk. Now the decision, cold Pinot Grigio or room temperature Merlot.

Sod it, both!

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 23 Apr 2010, 18:08 (Ref:2678617)   #64
FRENCHIE44T
Racer

England
High Wycombe, BUCKS
FRENCHIE44T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRENCHIE44T View Post
I tried to leave a message when I was waiting at Abu Dhabi airport but it would not let me log in.

Well I am home again now, got into Heathrow about 6.00ish. Great racing and even got a few on Post 4, 2 UAE Touring Carsand had to go out and get some bits when Safety car was out for the GT1's

Just hope they can get all the cars, drivers & personel to Silverstone in time now for the next round. 4/5/6 June. See ya there, those who are going.

Many thanks to ALL involved in organising this trip and to all the guys & girls I met out there. Great team.
Thanks to my Boss, I will be getting paid for Mon, Tue & Wed as it was out of my control that I didnt get home. If I had not got back to work on Thursday I would have had to take more holiday OR time off without pay.
Old 23 Apr 2010, 18:15 (Ref:2678620)   #65
graham-ne
Rookie

United Kingdom
darlington
graham-ne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK were do i start

First of all big big thanks to Dennis Ian and ADMM i had a great time from start to finish .

and as Mark has already said BIG BIG thanks to Yorkshire Airways
AND the full board of members.

look forward to our next meeting
Old 23 Apr 2010, 19:16 (Ref:2678649)   #66
turbo-ww
Racer

England
turbo-ww should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly 1 View Post
Back home at 5.45pm after dropping Tom off in Norfolk. Now the decision, cold Pinot Grigio or room temperature Merlot.

Sod it, both!
Just as long as it's not cold merlot and room temperature pinot grigio......
Old 23 Apr 2010, 19:57 (Ref:2678670)   #67
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Arrived back earlier today. Had a great time and as everyone has said, many thanks to Dennis, Ian, and the BARC team for all of their help. It was greatly appreciated by everyone.
Old 23 Apr 2010, 20:13 (Ref:2678675)   #68
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Here in the real world (outside of public service!) it's very straightforward, if you are at work you get paid, if you aren't you take holiday or unpaid leave. Same for snow or volcanos. You can whinge if you like....
Old 23 Apr 2010, 20:42 (Ref:2678686)   #69
SRPhoto
Veteran

Wales
Wrexham
SRPhoto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The company I work for have confirmed "For the current time, please treat these absences as authorised (paid) leave which does not affect holiday entitlement. However, these arrangements will only be in place this week and subject to further review. During this time will everyone please try to keep in touch with colleagues until they have safely returned. "

So guess I have been very lucky with an extended break, very well looked after and no loss of money.

BMMC Member since Oct 2001
Marshalled my first Rally on 9th March 2002 (Malcolm Wilson Rally)
Marshalled my first Race on 6th April 2002 (750MC - Oulton Park)
Marshalled my first British F1 GP 18th/20th July 2003
Old 23 Apr 2010, 20:55 (Ref:2678691)   #70
Wet marshal
Racer

England
TETBURY
Wet marshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Baines View Post
well i do not no where to start first of all massive thanks to admm barc etc,we had a blast amazing circuit stunning country and i met some great freinds,so from yorkshire airlines raise a glass to iceland and to my new freinds you were fantastic you know who you are THANKYOU
Yes, just got home. CHEERS Mark,I expect your sinking a few by now!

Well done on your I/O Duties,even though we only had one car stop over the weekend.

Your friendly Post Chief!.
Old 23 Apr 2010, 22:39 (Ref:2678741)   #71
lawnmowerman
Rookie

lawnmowerman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well i got home thurs around 4.30pm after a trouble free flight. I would just like to take this opportunity to thank all at BARC for giving me the chance to participate in yet another piece of motorsport history. The GT'S were AWESOME ! Also i huge "Thank-You," to Dennis Carter and the Crowne Plaza Hotel for taking so much care for us while we were stranded in Abu Dhabi. It was tough having to lie by that pool in such intense heat It will take more than a volcano to stop a British Marshal ! Let us continue to show the rest of the world just how good we are !
Old 23 Apr 2010, 22:54 (Ref:2678748)   #72
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
Here in the real world (outside of public service!) it's very straightforward, if you are at work you get paid, if you aren't you take holiday or unpaid leave. Same for snow or volcanos. You can whinge if you like....
That's pretty much what the LGC have said for Local Government workers, and I think they're right to do so. For those who's employers are more generous, make sure you say thank you. It's a gesture that should be appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnmowerman View Post
It will take more than a volcano to stop a British Marshal ! Let us continue to show the rest of the world just how good we are !
Nice one. The bulldog spirit is alive and well. Clearly the organisers did their utmost and deserve the credit they're being given, and it sounds like the marshals aquitted themselves well and represented the rest of us on the world stage. Way to go, guys.
Old 24 Apr 2010, 08:15 (Ref:2678882)   #73
Tazman
Rookie

United Kingdom
Dorset, UK
Tazman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Abu Dhabi - A big thanks

I know thanks have been mentioned on a different thread but I think that this deserves one of its own.

I would like to say a big thank you to Dennis Carter, Ian Watson and all at ADMM and BARC who were involved in making our enforced stay as painless as possible.

Just a shame we have to come back to the real world now
Old 24 Apr 2010, 08:56 (Ref:2678901)   #74
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazman View Post
I know thanks have been mentioned on a different thread but I think that this deserves one of its own.
Sorry, much better to keep everything tidy and in one place. The sentiment is nice, though. Sounds like the organisers did their utmost for the people out there and that's very good to hear.
Old 24 Apr 2010, 09:06 (Ref:2678902)   #75
Motorsportgirli
Racer

England
Hornsea
Motorsportgirli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Newns View Post
Arrived back earlier today. Had a great time and as everyone has said, many thanks to Dennis, Ian, and the BARC team for all of their help. It was greatly appreciated by everyone.

Id just like to say i had a great time, and it was lovely to get to know people away from the track, it was lovely to make so many new friends and put faces to names!