Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 16 Jul 2006, 15:32 (Ref:1657568)   #51
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan733
Because we don't get it stateside, I have been catching up in any spare moments I have had this summer (usually while doing homework) after I found a source online for old episodes. I must say my two favorite moments are:
[Desperation] Link please[/Desperatoin]
Old 16 Jul 2006, 20:02 (Ref:1657712)   #52
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Erm, that was insane! Caravanning holiday my ____...that was a travelling destruction derby
Old 16 Jul 2006, 20:06 (Ref:1657714)   #53
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Fantastic! I bet there will be floods of complaints from caravanners now!
Old 16 Jul 2006, 20:08 (Ref:1657715)   #54
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Agree there! They're not going to like that one
Old 16 Jul 2006, 20:14 (Ref:1657719)   #55
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh dear, what a pity...............
Old 16 Jul 2006, 20:18 (Ref:1657722)   #56
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh my, i was howling with laughter!
That makes up for the gap of top gears!

Loved James' Joint comment
Old 16 Jul 2006, 20:21 (Ref:1657729)   #57
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Brilliant!

I look forward to all the complaints about their "recklessness" and idiocy from people who don't have the wit to realise it's a fictional comedy not a documentary.

Have to agree with Clarkson's conclusions though. Anyone who derives enjoyment from caravanning should be sectioned. And have their caravan ceremonially burnt (Jeremy's quite good at that, don't you think? )

One serious point... how the hell did a 1.5 diesel Kia win Caravanning Monthly Tow Car of the Year? It's dangerously underpowered before you hitch a van to it...
Old 16 Jul 2006, 20:24 (Ref:1657734)   #58
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
OK, that was the funniest bit of television since Boris hosted HIGNFY the most recent time.

Why in the name of a little blue pig would someone spend £12,000 for the right to spend £200 per week to hitch to a post in a field somewhere near Tywyn? For that sort of money you can get about 8 very very good quality hollygogs for two anywhere in the blinking world - and you then have to replace the worn-out caravan anyway so there is less than zero saving.
Old 16 Jul 2006, 21:14 (Ref:1657779)   #59
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've only just stopped laughing! May's attempts to reverse the van into it's allocated space had me

As for the driving there, it occurred to me that had they had the sense to fit a stabliser then the dog probably wouldn't have been sick!

Seeing all the broken crockery reminded me of a trip I once had to Oulton Park (yes, I used to be a caravan owner but I also lived in Yorkshire and travelled to Donington, Silverston and Oulton to marshal most weekends, so needed the cheap accommodation ). On the trip in question, I'd loaded the food into the cupboards as usual but hadn't closed one of the doors properly. A pack of biscuits fell out somewhere en route and the gas bottle rolled over and over it several millon times. When we got to Oulton and opened the van door, the carpets were covered in biscuit dust

Anyway, I digress - what will they do next?
Old 16 Jul 2006, 21:22 (Ref:1657790)   #60
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Driving my camper back from Mondello we had a blow out halfway through Wales which cost us four hours of our lives! In an attempt to make up time we dropped the hammer (read: were doing 75 flat down the back roads) when we crested a hill and took off. As we landed one of the overhead locker thingies sprung open and a bottle of Smirnoff and a bottle of JD tumbled out. The Smirnoff smashed the TV that was sat on the floor and the JD almost killed my passenger... thankfully both bottles surprived though.

I hate caravanning...
Old 17 Jul 2006, 14:07 (Ref:1658236)   #61
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
funnily enough, on our way to mondello, we went over the most viscious speed hump known to the western roads, which emptied all the shelves lockers and left me with interesting back pains...

I hate carravaning too, which is why we have a motorhome!
Old 17 Jul 2006, 14:18 (Ref:1658247)   #62
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
That'll be the little narrow hump back bridge about a mile from the track! the one that we found one of the VLR trucks wedged in...
Old 17 Jul 2006, 14:27 (Ref:1658258)   #63
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon
One serious point... how the hell did a 1.5 diesel Kia win Caravanning Monthly Tow Car of the Year? It's dangerously underpowered before you hitch a van to it...
It's got me beat. I was expecting footage of a Kia and Caravan careening down a hill with the front brakes on fire.. but I guess the Kia can't get to the top of the hill in the first place!
Old 17 Jul 2006, 15:00 (Ref:1658284)   #64
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A quick internet search finds that the small Kia one "Best Tow Car" in the "under ÂŁ13,500" category.
Old 17 Jul 2006, 16:12 (Ref:1658333)   #65
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
That'll be the little narrow hump back bridge about a mile from the track! the one that we found one of the VLR trucks wedged in...
nope, it was further up than that, near a church in a small village about half a mile from the circuit, we got over the bridge with about 2 inches on either side...!
Old 17 Jul 2006, 16:15 (Ref:1658337)   #66
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Yeah, likewise. After they attached a large rope to the second transporter and towed the first one back... And, yes, I know the place you mean.

Still hate caravanning though. Motorhomes are fine, tents are fine, but a caravan... WTF? Stupid dangerous things.

I have just put the repeat into my EPG so I can watch it again tomorrow hehe
Old 17 Jul 2006, 17:09 (Ref:1658391)   #67
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Those 'caravan holiday' clips had me in stitches, great stuff. The one concern I have with Top Gear though is that it is moving away from a car show too much. But yesterday's episode *did* show that that stupid Kia car is no good if you plan on going on caravanning holidays.

And I know how they feel over such holidays. They really are dull
Old 17 Jul 2006, 17:25 (Ref:1658405)   #68
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

It ceased to be a car show when the 'old' Top Gear finished a few years ago. The new format is exactly that, new. It is now an entertainment show with cars as a general theme. And I like it.
Old 17 Jul 2006, 18:04 (Ref:1658435)   #69
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by safc_fan89
Those 'caravan holiday' clips had me in stitches, great stuff. The one concern I have with Top Gear though is that it is moving away from a car show too much. But yesterday's episode *did* show that that stupid Kia car is no good if you plan on going on caravanning holidays.
Even as a caravan owner, that was still a funny (contrived) show. It almost looked as if they had actually made those mistakes. We all know that it was all staged but still, had a damn sight more entertainment than the "Race?" in France that took place earlier in the day. (F1 GP for those of you who missed the parade).

Quote:
Originally Posted by safc_fan89
And I know how they feel over such holidays. They really are dull
This all depends on why you buy a caravan and I am not about to try to convince anyone to buy one. This is just about why we have one.

After nearly 20 yrs marshalling, having to put-up with a tent in a field and peeing behind it at 02:00 in the morning, we decided to splash out and get a "Van". It has completely changed our views of Two or more Day Meetings.
Whereas before; we would arrive with our tent, set-up, get sorted and then try to find the facilities, if there were any............
we now:
arrive, set-up and are then ready to not only enjoy the evening sunshine (or rain) but are able to entertain our fellow marshals with freshly cooked food and warm surroundings. (we have central heating in our van!!) you just feel more comfortable in a 'Van.

But it doesn't stop there.......
Yes; our marshalling accommodation has improved but this is also available for any other time we chose to use it. Much as we enjoyed our camping, our very large tent was only really used to facilitate our marshalling at far-flung events. With the 'van, not only can we do these same events, in luxury, but we also tend to use the 'Van for other week-ends as well. This is not something we ever did when camping.

So, are "Caravan holidays dull??".................

it all depends on whomsoever is taking them.

what is our "BIG" caravan holiday this year?????? (after having marshalled F1 at Indianapolis and NASCAR at Chicagoland)............

one week south of the M4, in any area we have never visited before (vacation wise), followed by 4 days surrounded by Hillclimb Marshals and Drivers in a stunning location. Exciting racing, great company and then......
a steady drive home on the Bank Holiday as all those others are fighting for a space on the Ocean's rubbish. (sorry, beach).

You can knock Caravans all you like, and many will, but it is without doubt the very best purchase (as Marshals and People) that we ever made.

but I will add, as an HGV driver, I have been held-up more times by slow car drivers than I have ever been by anyone towing anything!!
Old 17 Jul 2006, 18:36 (Ref:1658459)   #70
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
I have been held-up more times by slow car drivers than I have ever been by anyone towing anything!!
Especially 15 year olds towing shiny silver caravans on the back of transits vans who persist on doing 80mph whilst looking for a field to break into.
Old 17 Jul 2006, 19:13 (Ref:1658500)   #71
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
It ceased to be a car show when the 'old' Top Gear finished a few years ago. The new format is exactly that, new. It is now an entertainment show with cars as a general theme. And I like it.
I've never seen the 'old' Top Gear, only the most recent few series'. I'm not complaining at all, I think it is great TV and probably my current favourite show, just some things they do seem to have no relevance to cars at all.
Old 17 Jul 2006, 23:06 (Ref:1658684)   #72
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclectic
Not the same one over and again, surely?

For example, the rocket mini on the ski jump was fundamentally the same joke/stunt as the rocket car fired into a quarry aimed at a caravan.

It has got repetitive and needs freshening up, some new creative input is urgently needed, it used to be fun............
Yours
Disgruntled of Tunbridge Wells
Old 17 Jul 2006, 23:25 (Ref:1658688)   #73
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It was a great laugh. I couldn't conceive buying a caravan for holidaying, but as Stuart says, it's a fantastic thing for marshalling multi-day meetings.

I shall have to invite them on an alternative motorsports caravanning holiday:

Head south at fairly decent speed until held up by slow moving car (without caravan - my feeling is that people who pootle around with a caravan do the same without it, it's not the caravan that causes the hold-ups, its the type of driver who usually pulls one, and they're more than capable of causing the hold-up without it). Eventually overtake said car on single carriageway road! Later manage to get flashed by speed camera (no ticket - phew!). Then two nights of beer, barbecue, good food and company interspersed with great motor racing, then home on BH monday while everyone else has got where they're going and not yet coming back, so 148 miles is covered in just 3 hours. I suspect they'd enjoy that slightly more!

Oh, and I can't reverse the thing properly either. Getting better, but still pretty rubbish.

The caravan thing still wasn't as funny as the 'turn a people carrier into a convertable' sketch, though.
Old 18 Jul 2006, 04:26 (Ref:1658792)   #74
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I find this thread incredibly frustrating.
In Australia we just had the "new series" of TG start last night... only a year behind... (actually its like 15 months)
Did get to see the Aygo soccer though, too funny for words.
Old 18 Jul 2006, 10:32 (Ref:1659002)   #75
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
Fantastic! I bet there will be floods of complaints from caravanners now!
Yep, funnily enough I just found this story on my local Daily Echo's website. http://www.thisisbournemouth.co.uk/d...o_top_here.php To a extent I have to agree with what the people there are saying, dont get me wrong Im not a fan of caravanning but I myself have been as a kid and it is usually nothing like as bad as Clarkson and co made it out to be. As for the traffic jams, oh please, had they actually got a car that was suitable for towing they would have had very little in the way of the problems they had towing the caravan and they certainly woudnt have had massive ques of traffic behind them. Any normal family size car of around 1.8ltr + should be fine, we had a Ford Granada 2.9 and my dad was saying that if you had a car like that which is good for towing you hardly realised the caravan was there. Im not sure about the exact speed limit differnces whilst towing a caravan but I know it isnt much, sometimes you do get a small que behind you but generally it is nothing like as bad as what Top Gear made it out to be. IMO of course.