Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 15 Oct 2009, 18:10 (Ref:2562134)   #51
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just had a couple of texts from Iain (who's done a few laps of the circuit in a road car). To quote him, the track is "Mega"

Oh... and the weather is very hot
Old 15 Oct 2009, 18:25 (Ref:2562149)   #52
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Shame.
Old 17 Oct 2009, 20:17 (Ref:2563366)   #53
Pretty Vacant
Rookie

England
Deepest Darkest Dorset
Pretty Vacant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anybody know where to find qualy times..

Cheers
Old 19 Oct 2009, 13:16 (Ref:2564632)   #54
JaapSinke
Rookie

JaapSinke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Algarve 2009

Just got back from the Algarve Circuit.
The most difficult track I have ever driven!
Learned the Nordschleife quicker than this one.
Maybe that's why we were so slow.
Drove the Orange Healey together with Mark Schmidt (who was also driving the 6-hours of Spa). 10 min. before the end the halfshaft broke.
A lot of cars had problems. Must be the end of the season...

Brilliant weather and a lot of white wine and beer on the other hand.
Love to go back there with my own car.

Pictures of links anyone?
Old 19 Oct 2009, 18:07 (Ref:2564853)   #55
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What a weekend. I am totally exhausted and will post a few more lines when I have a moment. Sleep now......

The circuit is right up there with my favourites - Spa, Dijon, Brands GP, Goodwood. Very technical but superb with so many elevation changes, great combinations of slow corners, balls-out fast corners and a couple of great straights. Combined with some fantastic weather, the most incredible hospitality and enthusiasm (especially from locals, Brit expats and the marshalls who were incredible on cooling down laps...).

I will be back next year if it happens. One of, if not the best meeting of the year for me.
Old 19 Oct 2009, 18:08 (Ref:2564855)   #56
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
BTW, Delta, where were you?? I saw your truck, saw Jim a few times, John F, etc. But you seemed to be AWOL......
Old 19 Oct 2009, 19:02 (Ref:2564889)   #57
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I wanna retire there!
Old 20 Oct 2009, 06:16 (Ref:2565169)   #58
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills View Post
BTW, Delta, where were you?? I saw your truck, saw Jim a few times, John F, etc. But you seemed to be AWOL......
It's a long way back to Blighty - Iain doesn't return until next weekend. Last I heard, he'd stopped off in Porto and was going out for a meal in Matosinhos
Old 20 Oct 2009, 06:46 (Ref:2565176)   #59
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Looking forward to the pics, well done Roger.

What was the entry level like, good or better?
Old 21 Oct 2009, 15:38 (Ref:2566401)   #60
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Just back and unloaded- in the cold and rain. Almost turned round and went back again........

Track is everything already said, but hard on brakes and tyres. Tarmac temp was 43 deg for my saturday race!

Am totally shattered from drive home solo so that is it for now. As Jaap says, any links to photos would be welcome- especially of my 'moment' in first race
Old 21 Oct 2009, 17:14 (Ref:2566483)   #61
ralt-racer
Racer

ralt-racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow what a circuit........... probably the most difficult to learn due to the blind entry to the corners, for the first few laps I was lost !!!!!

I raced in FJ with Stuart Rolts Elva managed pole after fitting a higher top which I was very happy with being in the old drum braked car in front of the newer disk cars. My races were sadly cut short due to a stripped oil pump gear in race 1 after 6 laps then something more serous in race two massive loss of power then overheating

We need more of this I loved every minute of it hopefully I will get another chance to have a go next year

Roger how many races were you in?? it seemed every time I looked you were driving something around usually in the lead.

Benn Simms
Old 21 Oct 2009, 20:33 (Ref:2566605)   #62
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did Iain Delta survive the return trip???, I still have to thank him for all the beers he provided me for just doing small welds. I hear nobody saw him?
Old 21 Oct 2009, 20:59 (Ref:2566623)   #63
RICHARD.T
Racer

RICHARD.T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Ben (ralt-racer!)
Glad to hear you had such a good time and look forward to hearing all about it.
See you soon.
Trotty
Old 22 Oct 2009, 06:03 (Ref:2566833)   #64
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by esper View Post
Did Iain Delta survive the return trip???, I still have to thank him for all the beers he provided me for just doing small welds. I hear nobody saw him?
He's still on his way back - due to arrive in the UK on Friday.
Old 22 Oct 2009, 11:56 (Ref:2567043)   #65
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
Results for the Masters races are on the Masters website.

http://www.themastersseries.com/reso...RM_results.pdf
http://www.themastersseries.com/reso...PM_Results.pdf
http://www.themastersseries.com/reso...GT_results.pdf
http://www.themastersseries.com/reso...TH_results.pdf
http://www.themastersseries.com/reso...to_Touring.pdf

They are incredibly detailed - lots of studying to be done!

Roger
Old 22 Oct 2009, 13:03 (Ref:2567096)   #66
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
He's still on his way back - due to arrive in the UK on Friday.

Just got a text from him,he's complaining of being up all night with 'c' sickness! But the good news was he could 'c' England.
Old 22 Oct 2009, 13:13 (Ref:2567102)   #67
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Just got a text from him,he's complaining of being up all night with 'c' sickness! But the good news was he could 'c' England.
The dreaded Bay of Biscay strikes again! One reason I drove the France route........

Thanks Roger for the results- I expect you to analyse each the races you were in

I think I must had a tow to record a top speed of 223.7kph- or maybe that is the lap I went off at the end of the straight
Old 22 Oct 2009, 13:27 (Ref:2567107)   #68
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
I had an email from someone saying I was slow in the Williams through the speed traps. It runs a massive rear wing and can run a dual element wing that would give less drag.

Looking at these in more detail, the March 761 was recorded on one section at 281kmh while I was 8th fastest at 264kmh.

Bigger balls needed obviously!
Old 23 Oct 2009, 14:36 (Ref:2568018)   #69
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Hopefully this link will get to the in car John Paul Mason video of some of the Legends Pre-War race-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_MJo-OyAjc

There are some stills on the photo sites but most are paddock shots. If anyone wants the links will dig them up again. When I have those from our 'team photographers' will post some up, but sadly will be mostly of the Proto / Touring 70s races for obvious reasons.....

Not sure what opportunities there are at the circuit for photographers without massive lenses!
Old 23 Oct 2009, 15:08 (Ref:2568043)   #70
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
So was anyone "arry flatters " round the last bend onto the pit staright. I must admit i was having a bit of a tow curler but was as quick if not quicker than a lot of cars there.Tell a lie i was flat out in the Seat hire car on Thursday.
Old 23 Oct 2009, 15:33 (Ref:2568059)   #71
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
So was anyone "arry flatters " round the last bend onto the pit staright. I must admit i was having a bit of a tow curler but was as quick if not quicker than a lot of cars there.Tell a lie i was flat out in the Seat hire car on Thursday.
We thought the Kia was going well until a Toyota Verso went past!

Difficulty with 'that' bend for me and some others I watched was that the crest was bumpy and unsettled the rear of the car. Feathering a bit helped keep the underwear clean in my case then hard on it and hang on to the wheel until eventually on the straight. Certainly a corner (within my limited experience!) to be ranked with Eau Rouge and Paddock Hill for involuntary holding of breath....
Old 23 Oct 2009, 16:25 (Ref:2568090)   #72
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Yep thats what i was doing. Whats the format in the F1 Rog."2nd gear". By the way everyone it was Mike's 60th at the weekend.
Old 23 Oct 2009, 17:14 (Ref:2568121)   #73
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Yep thats what i was doing. Whats the format in the F1 Rog."2nd gear". By the way everyone it was Mike's 60th at the weekend.
I thought I'd kept that quiet- thanks for that
Old 23 Oct 2009, 23:18 (Ref:2568354)   #74
Scottish Billy
Rookie

Scottish Billy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As an Historic Virgin can I just add that I had a great time despite going to help Malcolm Wishart ( Chevron B16 ) who had problems at the the test day and did not race. It was a fantastic experience and for me the highlight was watching the Minis at the first corner and wondering when the Falcon and the " Comet Cyclone" would not get round ! ( I unfortunately missed a 130 MPH spin by one of this forum contributers!) The circuit was amazing and i did not believe there was a swimming pool until I saw it! Am now trying to persuade Knockhill they need to have one to attract this class of field.
Old 24 Oct 2009, 08:28 (Ref:2568498)   #75
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
We had one off the front running mini's in our camp and the whole team was very jittery when the Galaxie was running with them at the start.I thought it was excelent just like the old days.