Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Feb 2004, 10:56 (Ref:861232)   #51
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Rennen, can you please explain what jenson did wrong in 2000, other than not being a certain young driver who's related to you?

The statistics as to British success are biased by the 60s, when most of the teams were British and tended to favour local talent. The talent-spotting networks in SOuth America and some parts of Europe weren't as strong in those days either.

In terms of talent as a proportion of population, I suppose Scotland, Austria and Finland stand out the most.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 12:25 (Ref:863928)   #52
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by DavidStHubbins
Button will be a Williams driver in 2005
Ok i believe you!, but i still agree in priciple with Neilap who said:

"Its funny how in a year JB has become a top comodity. If nothing BAR has resurrected his career. Last year was a difficult year to judge him. I want to see what he has to offer BAR and vice versa before he leaves."

I can only see Williams giving previous drivers like Button/JV another go if they cannot get the newer stars that they're after. And then they'll only get one year deals to allow Williams to secure services of who they're really after.

This is how i see 2005:
Williams: Villeneuve and Trulli (both on 1 year deals perhaps)or Webber
Ferrari: Raikkonen and Rubinho
Mclaren: Montoya and DC or Villeneuve
Renault: Alonso and Webber or Trulli or Kovalainen
BAR: Button and Sato(if has good 04)or
Toyota: Da Matta and Dixon or Ralf Schu (if still rated highly enough?!)
Jag: no idea
Sauber: same as 04'
Jordan: no idea
Minardi: no idea

There's no one really outstanding outside of F1 at mo Except for Dixon, Hornish, Kovalainen and Lopez? I'm sorry but i don't think JB is significantly better than any of them
Old 5 Feb 2004, 13:52 (Ref:864062)   #53
Dick Spanner
Racer

Dick Spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't forget that William's already had Montoya on contract for 2001 before he signed Button for 2000 so unless he had totally blown everyone away (and let's face it very few complete rookie drivers do, Schuey didn't) he was only going to get the drive for a year. If Montoya had been rubbish then I don't doubt that Frank would have had Jenson back.

If BAR have a really good 2004 (say 4th) and William's don't win the championship I think Jenson may stay into 2005. I really don't think Villeneuve will reappear in 2005 in one of the top 3(4) team's.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 16:45 (Ref:864236)   #54
nippy
Racer

nippy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

"Ferrari: Raikkonen and Rubinho

Jag:no idea

Williams: Villeneuve and Trulli (both on 1 year deals perhaps)or Webber"

Errm thats a prety questionalble driver line up. For one D.C. wil almost definatly be in a jag for 05, Raikkonen wil not leave Mac for Ferrari, M.S. isn't going anyware untill at least 06,and i'm sorry to say it but Villenuve is finished and heikki Kovalinen won't get to renault before Frank Montagy. In my View it will be

Williams: Jenson Button
Nico Rosberg
Test driver: Marc Gene

Ferrari: Micheal Schumacher
Rubens Barrachello
Test Driver: Luca Badoer

McLaren: Kimi Raikkonen
Juan Montoya
Test Driver: Alex Wurz
Old 11 Feb 2004, 19:20 (Ref:871062)   #55
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/moto...ne/3478757.stm

Nothing more than speculation, but nice to see it nonetheless!
Old 11 Feb 2004, 19:53 (Ref:871105)   #56
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I'm convinced that Jenson will be back at Williams in 05.

Rafe will be on his way to Toyota.

DC to Jag.

And MW joining Jenson at Williams.
Old 11 Feb 2004, 20:44 (Ref:871156)   #57
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Williams may not have to spend big time to get a good driver line up in 2005. They already have Gene and Pizzonia on the test strength and have youngsters Piquet and Rosberg waiting in the wings. Rosberg would get BMW good mileage in Germany even if he's not German, they'd have two drivers on their strength who are the sons of former Williams WDC's-(hows that for PR value?). If BMW insist on a German/Austrian driver and Klein does a good job with Jag why wouldn't Frank take the Red Bull money and sign Klein on. What he would bring to the team would more than cover the entire retainer bill.
Jenson had a good first year because the car was strong and the simple fact is the car counts for so much now that a good competent driver can take an excellent car and put it in the top six with monotonous regularity. Frank's priorities are in the right place. IF you produce the cars you don't have to look for drivers, they come to you! (Mansell in 92, Senna in 94)
Old 12 Feb 2004, 09:56 (Ref:871625)   #58
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to BBC Sport, Williams are considering Jenson Button as a replacement for Montoya in 2005.

Button's representatives have held initial talks with Williams, but he is one of several drivers under consideration.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/3478757.stm