Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 6 Oct 2005, 11:22 (Ref:1425232)   #51
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MN reported Kia were looking into it a few weeks back.
Old 6 Oct 2005, 15:26 (Ref:1425433)   #52
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Maybe Chevrolet will have a 2006 presence using this year's WTCC cars? Or even Alfa or BMW could run or back a team?
Old 6 Oct 2005, 15:29 (Ref:1425437)   #53
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There was some talk earlier in the year some of a private Chevrolet next year, but this would mean that there would be another GM product in the championship.
Old 6 Oct 2005, 16:11 (Ref:1425483)   #54
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones
There was some talk earlier in the year some of a private Chevrolet next year, but this would mean that there would be another GM product in the championship.
Wouldn't be an issue, as Chevrolet and Vauxhall operate as seperate entities in the UK.
Old 6 Oct 2005, 18:14 (Ref:1425599)   #55
SPARK Msport
Veteran

England
Carshalton, Surrey
SPARK Msport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
GA Motorsport plan to run a Vauxhall Astra Coupe next year, having abandoned the 156 program. Jamie Spence is to drive the car.
Dam, was looking forward to seeing the Alfa, can never beat a piece of Italian art...
Old 6 Oct 2005, 19:57 (Ref:1425674)   #56
Alfa Fan
Veteran

You will see two run by Ayles Racing (Gary Ayles new team) in 2006.
Old 6 Oct 2005, 21:22 (Ref:1425734)   #57
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To be honest, it makes more sense to run the Alfa's now than Astra Coupé's...they're just propping up the back in the BTCC now...and have a one year lifespan only (as mentioned aplenty already)
Old 7 Oct 2005, 03:02 (Ref:1425909)   #58
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green
I heard rumours of two more manufacturers returning to the BTCC. Ford are one but no idea who the second one is.
Ford seemed very neutral about their current WTCC effort? Or is the potential BTCC effort a Ford UK and/or private effort?
Old 7 Oct 2005, 07:02 (Ref:1426058)   #59
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
No idea, was just passing on a rumour I heard at Brands last weekend, sorry.
Old 7 Oct 2005, 10:50 (Ref:1426243)   #60
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmchow
Ford seemed very neutral about their current WTCC effort? Or is the potential BTCC effort a Ford UK and/or private effort?
I get the impression the WTCC project is more a Ford Germany project. But maybe I get only this impression because Fords European headquarters are in Cologne, Germany. The WTCC Fords are needing more development.
Old 7 Oct 2005, 13:08 (Ref:1426396)   #61
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ford of Europe always stated they would never give full works backing to a WTCC team, but I believe they want to encourage local importers to get behind their national series.

It would be good to see Ford and the likes of BMW back in the BTCC.
Old 8 Oct 2005, 19:02 (Ref:1427548)   #62
P.Cummins
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
P.Cummins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be great to have BMW of Ford back. But I personally think that if there is a BMW or Ford in the hands of a small independant next year, it will struggle to race competitivley.
Old 9 Oct 2005, 02:51 (Ref:1427769)   #63
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
I get the impression the WTCC project is more a Ford Germany project. But maybe I get only this impression because Fords European headquarters are in Cologne, Germany. The WTCC Fords are needing more development.
And Ford isn't going to more "strongly encourage" it's European importers to back a team in their respective series? Surely the more importers that participate, the more they can share/amortize the costs of developing the cars.
Old 24 Oct 2005, 09:47 (Ref:1441923)   #64
cos
Veteran

England
BTCC goes S2000 from 2007

As expected, but officially confirmed today:
http://www.btcc.net/artman/publish/article_768.php

BTC spec cars can contest from '07 to '08 but only by indies and they'll be restricted so they won't be allowed to win (!).
Old 24 Oct 2005, 09:49 (Ref:1441924)   #65
cos
Veteran

England
BTCC rule changes for 2006

Reverse grid rule will be changed: number of places reversed will vary between 6 and 10 - number to be randomly chosen after race 2 has finished.
Other small changes at the bottom of this article.
Old 24 Oct 2005, 09:51 (Ref:1441929)   #66
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No great suprise there, I also think thats its a good move keeping the BTC spec cars in for 2007/8.

I also notice that there is change in sport regs regarding reversed grids.

"The current system used to decide the top ten starting grid positions for the third race at each meeting has been revised. In 2006, the number of grid places to be reversed for race three’s starting grid will vary between six and ten. The actual number will be unknown at each race meeting until it is randomly drawn by the winner of race two, immediately after that race."

I can't say I am a fan of that one, but then again it will stop people trying to finish 10th to get pole in race 3, I think we shall see how it pans out.
Old 24 Oct 2005, 09:55 (Ref:1441935)   #67
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Could we merge this with the other thread on the same subject?
Old 24 Oct 2005, 19:31 (Ref:1442476)   #68
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
The reverse grid change makes some sense as it stops the slow bicycle race tactic we've seen a few times. That always made the rule look a bit of a joke on TV. Odd though that the ETCC/WTCC which has a similar rule never seemed to suffer from that problem.

The 2007/08 extention at least means that indie teams aren't left with a worthless car next year. Will be interesting to see how the restrictions work in practice.

The ballast changes I'm not so sure about. Adding full ballast for your first race if you're a latecomer makes sense - stops the unrepresentaive qualifying results we saw with Chilton @ Thruxton and Howell @ Knockhill - however I'm less sure about full ballast on the first race back, which this year would have effected Proctor and Jason Hughes. A better solution would be to give the the ballast they would have got had they been at the first meeting they skipped.
Old 24 Oct 2005, 19:51 (Ref:1442496)   #69
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just glad Alan Gow's hat's back in some form
Old 26 Oct 2005, 08:59 (Ref:1443697)   #70
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
Well it is reported that in todays Motorsport News that Yvan Muller will be leaving VXRacing for the WTCC, he needs to be replaced but by who, they need a race winner and someone that can battle for championship, a few names I have come up with are Thompson, Reid, Huff, Watson-Smith, Dumbreak and Plato. The article goes on to say that Turkington and Smith are not yet confirmed for 2006.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 10:10 (Ref:1443760)   #71
cos
Veteran

England
MN also report that Dynamics have sold their Integras (to whom?) and, as previously rumoured, are looking to run S2000 Accords for 2006.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 10:19 (Ref:1443771)   #72
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
I understand that one of the Integra's has gone to Eurotech and that Mike Jordan will race the car in the next year.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 10:55 (Ref:1443810)   #73
Alfa Fan
Veteran

My understanding is that Team Eurotech and Mike Jordan have purchased one.

The remaining two cars will be updated and run again in 2006 by Dynamics.

Dynamics will also purchase and run a single Super-2000 Honda Accord Euro-R in preperation for the move to the new rules in 2007.

I have yet to read this weeks Motorsport News, so if some of that information has changed, I apologise.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 11:08 (Ref:1443821)   #74
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Mike Jordan will be a welcome addition in my humble opinion.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 12:06 (Ref:1443871)   #75
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Reading between the lines of Platos comments in MN, looks like SEAT UK are staying in the BTCC.