Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 25 Oct 2006, 08:45 (Ref:1748593)   #51
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I made a serious suggestion late last year that the middle VMRC rounds at Calder & Winton be run on their respective short circuits but was told events held on the short circuits were always down on competitor numbers as the racers seemed to prefer the longer track even though the short track would mean an extra race per class
Old 26 Oct 2006, 13:48 (Ref:1750061)   #52
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
00 XR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA
As for Formula Falcon, it was a sub class for the Sportsman class which was as mentioned previously a "junior" AUSCAR class.
It wasn't intended to be this way though was it?

Formula Falcon was to be the replacement for HQs at the Dome, due to Jane's mob not being too pleased about their lack of say in the HQ racing regulations (which were under the control of CAMS for circuit racing). HQs were meant to be phased after the introduction of the Falcon class. There was also an idea floating around at some stage that the two classes would run separate heats and come together for a final or some such........... but sadly the only ones that were built ended up at the back of the Sportsmen fields as the V8s romped into the distance.

Anyone know how many of these Formula Falcons were built? I remember seeing pictures of the prototype after completion............. those Vereker boys sure knew/know how to build a good looking race car.............

It is a shame that the NASCAR/AUSCAR/Sportsmen scene isn't around anymore, I remember those meetings at AIR fondly. Always thought it was funny for the guys moving up from Auscar to Nascar, that they would not only have to get used to sitting on the opposite side of the cars, but they would have to turn the opposite way too.... (and yes I know why this was the case).

For the record, the Auscars Champions were........

1998/99 Leigh Watkins - Ford Falcon EL
1997/98 Darren McDonald - Holden Commodore
1996/97 Matthew White - Holden Commodore
1995/96 Terry Wyhoon - Holden Commodore
1994/95 Marshall Brewer - Holden Commodore
1993/94 Brad Jones Holden - Commodore
1992/93 Brad Jones Holden - Commodore
1991/92 Brad Jones - Holden Commodore
1990/91 Brad Jones - Holden Commodore
1989/90 Brad Jones - Holden Commodore
1988/89 Tony Kavich - Holden Commodore

We know that Jones, Wyhoon and White now race V8s, and Brewer has his Fastrack business still going, but the other three?

Anyone know if the Kavich currently racing utes is related to Tony?
“Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. What you have to do is you have to say look; the fact of the matter is that I’m red hot, that Todd Kelly is a ******, I have always thought he was, and I was just mowing him down based on ability”. – Neil Crompton talking to Jamie Whincup, post Bathurst 2005.
Old 3 Nov 2006, 02:04 (Ref:1756738)   #53
M-Kart
Veteran

Australia
M-Kart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know alot of the later NASCARS used are still in garages around australia, but what about the original ones? cars like Allan Grices Fosters car, DJ's Redkote Tunderbird (that was based on the late 1980's shape T-Bird body), as well as a number of for want of a better word 'fastbacks' - i think they were oldsmobiles and the like, as well as a horde of Chevy Luminas. These cars were phased out as the newer T-Birds, and Chevy Monte Carlos arrived, but where did the old ones go? were they updated to the newer cars? did the go back to the US? or are they still floating around somewhere?
Old 3 Nov 2006, 05:30 (Ref:1756797)   #54
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Kart
I know alot of the later NASCARS used are still in garages around australia, but what about the original ones? cars like Allan Grices Fosters car, DJ's Redkote Tunderbird (that was based on the late 1980's shape T-Bird body), as well as a number of for want of a better word 'fastbacks' - i think they were oldsmobiles and the like, as well as a horde of Chevy Luminas. These cars were phased out as the newer T-Birds, and Chevy Monte Carlos arrived, but where did the old ones go? were they updated to the newer cars? did the go back to the US? or are they still floating around somewhere?
I heard a lot of them went back to the US for racing in the HSR historic stock car series.
Old 3 Nov 2006, 05:47 (Ref:1756801)   #55
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bob Jane/John Sheppard built 20 cars in the late-80s, they must have gone somewhere.

I've been looking at copies of alot of the mid-80s touring car racing lately, and it's interesting to see the stories on the 'Dome done during the telecasts, right through the building stages (first race was originally scheduled for late 1986) to getting Richard Petty & Bobby Hillen Jnr out here to test at the track (though neither ended up ever racing at the track)
Old 3 Nov 2006, 13:45 (Ref:1757132)   #56
fordlover
Racer

Australia
Brisbane, AUstralia
fordlover should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
Richard Petty & Bobby Hillen Jnr out here to test at the track (though neither ended up ever racing at the track)
from memory Richard petty raced in the feb 88 goodyear 500, can't remember the car though (i have it somewhere on dvd)
Old 3 Nov 2006, 14:06 (Ref:1757145)   #57
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover
from memory Richard petty raced in the feb 88 goodyear 500, can't remember the car though (i have it somewhere on dvd)
Nope, that was his son Kyle Petty. Kyle drove the #21 Kroger car that was run by D.K. Ulrich.
Old 3 Nov 2006, 15:52 (Ref:1757197)   #58
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Does anyone have any photo's from t hese events at the Thunderdome?
Old 4 Nov 2006, 06:51 (Ref:1757554)   #59
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have photos sent to me.
Old 4 Nov 2006, 07:00 (Ref:1757561)   #60
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Barry Graham(Founder and CEO of the Richard Petty Driving Experience) and Max Dumnesy at the Thunderdome.
Old 4 Nov 2006, 07:22 (Ref:1757572)   #61
M-Kart
Veteran

Australia
I've been doing a bit of sniffing around, mainly regarding DJ's NASCAR(s), and here is what i've found.
Either:

Dick's original Australian Redkote nascar (the #17 80's shape t-bird) was built by Banjo Matthews Performance Centre in Charlotte, then sent out here for DJ to use (possibly after use in the US??), and was then sent back there.

OR

DJ prepared his American raced T-Bird (the 1992 model) in Australia, before shipping it it the USA, where it was based from Banjo Matthews Performance Centre. I think it may have been left there.

OR

Both of these situations occurred.

Banjo Matthews passed away in 1996, and The Banjo Matthews Performance Centre in Charlotte NC closed in August 1997, citing a lack of demand for car production, as most teams went to in-house constructions.

Anyone know of any other links to the whereabouts fo these cars in this area?
Old 4 Nov 2006, 09:01 (Ref:1757604)   #62
cornermsport
Racer

Australia
near Oran Park NSW
cornermsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I've been doing a bit of sniffing around, mainly regarding DJ's NASCAR(s), and here is what i've found.
Either:

Dick's original Australian Redkote nascar (the #17 80's shape t-bird) was built by Banjo Matthews Performance Centre in Charlotte, then sent out here for DJ to use (possibly after use in the US??), and was then sent back there.

OR

DJ prepared his American raced T-Bird (the 1992 model) in Australia, before shipping it it the USA, where it was based from Banjo Matthews Performance Centre. I think it may have been left there.

OR

Banjo Matthews passed away in 1996, and The Banjo Matthews Performance Centre in Charlotte NC closed in August 1997, citing a lack of demand for car production, as most teams went to in-house constructions.

I'm sure from memory that Dick's old USA Thunderbirds were bought by Richard Petty Driving Experience around the mid to late 90's. I know there were a couple of oddball Fords in the fleet during that time, when most of the cars were GM products, and i believe they were the ex - Redkote cars. I will be able to confirm when i next speak to my old man!

If the chassis are still around, they would definately be rebodied by now, but knowing the age of the cars and how they fatigue, my guess would be they would have been scrapped by now.

Stay Tuned!
Old 4 Nov 2006, 09:08 (Ref:1757608)   #63
cornermsport
Racer

Australia
near Oran Park NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ryan
Barry Graham(Founder and CEO of the Richard Petty Driving Experience) and Max Dumnesy at the Thunderdome.
Correct Barry Graham is founder and a managing director of RPDE, but not CEO. Its a huge company, so Barry can't do it all anymore! nor needs too!
Old 4 Nov 2006, 09:22 (Ref:1757619)   #64
M-Kart
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornermsport
I'm sure from memory that Dick's old USA Thunderbirds were bought by Richard Petty Driving Experience around the mid to late 90's. I know there were a couple of oddball Fords in the fleet during that time, when most of the cars were GM products, and i believe they were the ex - Redkote cars. I will be able to confirm when i next speak to my old man!

If the chassis are still around, they would definately be rebodied by now, but knowing the age of the cars and how they fatigue, my guess would be they would have been scrapped by now.

Stay Tuned!
Thanks for that - If you can find out and let me know, It'd be great
Old 4 Nov 2006, 18:29 (Ref:1757826)   #65
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IIRC, the original DJ T-Bird was an ex-Harry Ranier car; the very car Davey Allison put on the front row for the 1987 Daytona 500. This car was used throughout tyre-testing in 1987, the inaugural 500k race, the '88 Lightning Strike series, and the Christmas 500k. A new car was purchased for the 1989 assault on the superspeedways, and the original 87 car was rebodied with 89-model T-Bird sheetmetal for the roadcourses. One or both of the cars was used by Cameron Partington in 1991/92.
Old 12 Nov 2006, 04:22 (Ref:1763882)   #66
cornermsport
Racer

Australia
near Oran Park NSW
Quote:
Either:

OR

OR

Ok, was in contact with the USA this weekend.

Basically there was one Thunderbird and 2 engines left over in the mid 90's in the USA, Ross Palmer gave it all to Barry Graham when he needed to dispose of it. The car was then added to the RPDE fleet, but with a Chev powerplant for maintenance ease, and the Ford engines were disposed.

Unfortunatly they can't exactly remember what happened to it. It was sold off when RPDE converted to in - house built cars, but to who is unknown, more than likely to the vintage NASCAR series.
Old 12 Nov 2006, 10:03 (Ref:1764048)   #67
M-Kart
Veteran

Australia
Ahh k, thanks for that bit of info on the car. I had a look at some of the results sheets of the historic stock car series, and I didnt see a car that matched DJ's car,but now I know it was updated, it may infact be there.

Actually, thinking of a Ford product in the RPDE stable, they dont normally run them do they? would that mean DJ's (updated) car was one of, if not THE only ford used by RPDE? if that is the case, is it possible that this ford (bodied as the original ford taurus NASCAR from 97/98??) is the updated DJ Redkote car? The interior looks red (as is the body), so possibly is dicks car, but in its updated state. Check it out in the pic in the link below, from the RPDE website. Is this maybe the Ex-Redkote car?

http://www.1800bepetty.com/mediacont...gallery_12.jpg
Old 12 Nov 2006, 14:38 (Ref:1764259)   #68
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Nah, thats Jimmy Spencer's old car.
Old 13 Nov 2006, 08:38 (Ref:1764701)   #69
cornermsport
Racer

Australia
near Oran Park NSW
Quote:
Ahh k, thanks for that bit of info on the car. I had a look at some of the results sheets of the historic stock car series, and I didnt see a car that matched DJ's car,but now I know it was updated, it may infact be there.

Actually, thinking of a Ford product in the RPDE stable, they dont normally run them do they? would that mean DJ's (updated) car was one of, if not THE only ford used by RPDE? if that is the case, is it possible that this ford (bodied as the original ford taurus NASCAR from 97/98??) is the updated DJ Redkote car? The interior looks red (as is the body), so possibly is dicks car, but in its updated state. Check it out in the pic in the link below, from the RPDE website. Is this maybe the Ex-Redkote car?
Your right, the DJ car was the first and only true Ford to be on the RPDE fleet. As far as i'm aware, it wasn't rebodied, and disposed of when RPDE's in house cars started to be introduced, and all of the ex racecars were sold off. The problem with the racecars were that they were old and worn out when they arrived, so there was plenty of maintenance required before they could be used, plus fatigue was taking its toll.

In the late 90's, RPDE went about building its own in house chassis's and bodies. The mechanicals remain the same, being chev powerplants, but Taurus, Monte Carlo, and later Dodge bodies were used. All Nascars now use the same centre body sections (aka like project blueprint!), and graft the appropriate make nose and tail to suit manufacture. School cars are built the same way.

The pic is of an in house RPDE Ford.
Old 13 Nov 2006, 08:40 (Ref:1764703)   #70
cornermsport
Racer

Australia
near Oran Park NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattA1
Nah, thats Jimmy Spencer's old car.
Not an old racecar, but an RPDE built schoolcar