Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 24 Oct 2003, 18:15 (Ref:762117)   #51
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But surely the cars handle the same or similar? I havent touched the auto assists, but i guess i have to learn how to drive these cars. I'm probably too agressive( Too used to F1-2002) and probably brake and turn in too early at the moment. It seems its all a matter of conserving momentum through the turns and not sliding too much.

With my dodgy pedals, i'll be spending more time going backwards at the moment!
Old 24 Oct 2003, 22:07 (Ref:762294)   #52
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by spanner
But surely the cars handle the same or similar? I havent touched the auto assists, but i guess i have to learn how to drive these cars. I'm probably too agressive( Too used to F1-2002) and probably brake and turn in too early at the moment. It seems its all a matter of conserving momentum through the turns and not sliding too much.

With my dodgy pedals, i'll be spending more time going backwards at the moment!
Oh indeed do they handle differently. They're very different beasts when they've got full power. A lot of the time driving the car is using that power to 'persuade' the car to go in the direction you want to go very quickly indeed.

It's not just brake, turn and throttle out. You're using the throttle to steer the cars on some corners. It's just not the same with the power you get from the trainer cars.

It's better to move over to the 'real' thing and persevere. Ayse is right, it'll just make the learning curve longer if you stick in the trainers too long.
Old 25 Oct 2003, 09:52 (Ref:762535)   #53
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just go for the F1 cars straight off Spanner.

You'll soon find that the cars are very different to drive.
Old 25 Oct 2003, 18:14 (Ref:762900)   #54
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
I guess the trainers allow you to be abit smoother. I find i'm adjusting the throttle through the corners to make sure i get a decent line out. Though i do find that to help turn in i slow down too much which meaning im accelerating too much through the rest of the corner and understeer off!

hmm.. interesting! thought i'd take out the F1 Brabham round Kylami and after 7 laps managed a 1:26 which surprised me, though i think it was pretty ragged. As the tyres are key, what kind of temps are best? i guess you dont have different compounds?
Old 25 Oct 2003, 18:18 (Ref:762903)   #55
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Oh and another thing.. Were the really THAT quick in real life? 245 km/h must be what? 160mph? Wow
Old 25 Oct 2003, 19:50 (Ref:762972)   #56
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
F2s i hope your talking about!?

I get 189mph down the main straight at Kyalami in the Brabham. The highest speed i've reached in an F2 Brab is 174mph.
Old 25 Oct 2003, 21:23 (Ref:763017)   #57
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by spanner
Oh and another thing.. Were the really THAT quick in real life? 245 km/h must be what? 160mph? Wow
As p has said, yeah they were that fast!

The Lotus 49 had around 450bhp, half that of a modern F1, but then it didn't have all that drag from wings.

If you've ever been to Goodwood, you'll notice how tiny they are. Relatively light and a very small frontal profile.

Add that to the monstrous relative grunt and you have a very fast machine in a straight line. It's frightening to think think they ran on rock-hard treaded cross-ply tyres!
Old 26 Oct 2003, 08:00 (Ref:763342)   #58
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
I'm not entirely sure what the top speed is, but have been playing with both views and happend to glance at the speed along the straight but as the text is so small its not easy to read!

I use the metric units as i just dont understand fareinheit or pounds-feet, but then i'm too used to MPH than KMph.
Old 26 Oct 2003, 09:57 (Ref:763429)   #59
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Well, if ever you ask for setup advice, all numbers we give you will be in Imperial! You don't have to know the units, just that a front roll bar of 160 is very stiff, and a front roll bar of 50 is very soft
Old 7 Nov 2003, 08:23 (Ref:775715)   #60
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
can anyone answer some quick questions?

The original brabham had rectangular exhausts, but the GPLEA one has round ones, is there a patch to change to the rectangular ones?

I take it theres no solution to SB live problems at the moment? is it just this type? are other SB cards the same?

thanks
Old 9 Nov 2003, 18:30 (Ref:778052)   #61
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
spanner - surf on RSC - search for SB Live or sound or the like. There are always threads on the sound issue. I have an SB Live and ,my sound is perfect 99.9% of the time.

I'd be very surprised indeed if the GPLEA Brabham was not the real deal, right down to every last rivet.......
Old 9 Nov 2003, 18:31 (Ref:778053)   #62
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
BTW, GPL is on "sale" at PC World at the moment. The last "Sold Out" version - £2.99. Criminal, if you ask me......
Old 9 Nov 2003, 20:20 (Ref:778131)   #63
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BTW spanner, if you still want to know, about 200 from memory is the optimum temp.
I use the tyre pressures as an indication though, you want them to be at 25-26 PSI hot. 24 you need to bump up the tyre pressures or drive faster, and 27 you need to be smoother or deflate the tyres slighly. As for temps, just try and make sure that they're pretty even across the wheel. You can adjust the temps with tyre pressures and camber.
Old 9 Nov 2003, 20:21 (Ref:778132)   #64
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
No MOMOs though are there Ayse... Indeed, GPL is going incredibly cheap at the moment. MOMOs are all gone, seems the next best thing is an act labs wheel.
Old 9 Nov 2003, 20:41 (Ref:778159)   #65
Es Nes
Veteran

Es Nes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
how do i install custom cars? i found a car manager, but, when i try to run it i get a couple of .osx or or .ocx file errors.
Old 9 Nov 2003, 20:52 (Ref:778166)   #66
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
custom cars?

You mean the GPLEA cars?

Just do a manual install.

With each car there will be a "GPLEA xxxxx Standard folder. Drop the contents of that in your C:\Sierra\gpl\cars\cars67\xxxxx folder where xxxxx is the name of a car.
Then add the other options that you want on top
Old 9 Nov 2003, 22:24 (Ref:778252)   #67
Es Nes
Veteran

Es Nes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so if the name of the folder is gplea honda rs300 v2 do i use honda rs300 v2?
Old 10 Nov 2003, 07:51 (Ref:778496)   #68
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
no, sorry.

needs more explaination

The seven original cars were called Brabham, BRM, Coventry, Eagle, Ferrari, Lotus, Murasama. Murasama and Coventry are ficticious teams replacing Honda and Cooper respectively, as papyrus couldn't get the rights to use those names.

So gple honda ra300 v2 would go in the murasama folder, and gplea cooper t81 v2 would go in the coventry folder.
Old 10 Nov 2003, 08:16 (Ref:778518)   #69
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
All, you need to do (if you have the standard cars) is to drop the contents of the extracted GPLEA car in the relevant folder. Usually the "standard" car (as it extracts. Just copy the contents of the standard car folder in the correct GPL cars67 folder. If it goes wrong you can always revert by deleting everything except the .dat file.
Old 10 Nov 2003, 13:49 (Ref:778837)   #70
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
I have to say the difference in detail between the original and GPLEA cars is phenominal, as i found out last week that I had only updated 2 of the cars. I couldnt believe just how bad the originals looked!

2.99?? that is indeed criminal.

Re sound, I'm having to drop the hardware accel from the windows options panel down a few notches, which is something i cant live with for long- Its gotta work fully or not at all.

thanks for that info Pirenzo i'll check next time i drive. Wont be for a little while yet, having wheel issues i.e bought new thrustmaster enzo wheel and its the biggest pile of **** i've seen. The money has gone on the name! Once i take it back i'll see about getting the same as i had before.
Old 10 Nov 2003, 16:00 (Ref:778951)   #71
Dick Spanner
Racer

Dick Spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pirenzo, I've had an ACT Lab's RS Force wheel for a couple of year's now and I really like it, it's nice to hold and the Force feedback is brilliant, I've also got an ACT Lab's non force feedback wheel which is good too. Only problem is finding them in the UK, as far as I know no-one is importing them at the moment.
The only problem with mine is that I am still running it with the serial connection cartridge and there are no XP driver's. If I want to upgrade It'll cost me in excess of 50 quid for the USB upgrade.