Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 29 Jan 2005, 10:29 (Ref:1212517)   #51
mitchie
Racer

Australia
mitchie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rime
Btw: Verstappen had a better performance in his first year in F1 than Räikkönen had in his second year.
How do you figure that?

If my memory is working, Jos scored 1 podium from I dont know how many starts (10?), whereas Kimi won the second race in his second year, scored a stack of podiums and was in title contention until the final round. Probably would've won the title if not for an engine failure at the Nurburgring.

I know that to compare Jos' first year and Kimi's 2nd year is unfair, but when in Rome...

Last edited by mitchie; 29 Jan 2005 at 10:29.
Old 29 Jan 2005, 11:07 (Ref:1212529)   #52
minirda
Racer

minirda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Better drivers out there? I can't think of (m)any. Give Jos a shot and (in the right car) he will impress.
You don't have to be a fan to come to such a conclusion.
F.e. he is way faster than DaMatta.
Old 29 Jan 2005, 12:23 (Ref:1212590)   #53
Rime
Rookie

Vatican City State
Rime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
@ mitchie

Jos did 2 podiums in 3 finished races....
Old 29 Jan 2005, 12:44 (Ref:1212598)   #54
mitchie
Racer

Australia
Quote:
@ mitchie

Jos did 2 podiums in 3 finished races....
Apologies, forgot about Spa. That makes all the difference though and clearly indicates a better season than Raikkonen in 2003

Sure, he finished 3 races and all 3 in the points. However, from his 10 starts, 5 of them are recorded as DNF's caused by spins or crashes (from the verstappen site no less). You can twist facts around all you like to prove whatever you like, 100% of people who believe that can tell you so, but when he finished the races, he did alright

I will just say though, I have no problem with Verstappen. He would be an interesting person to have in the series and I thought his F1 performances werent all that bad.

Last edited by mitchie; 29 Jan 2005 at 12:45.
Old 29 Jan 2005, 13:04 (Ref:1212602)   #55
Rime
Rookie

Vatican City State
Fair enough...
Old 29 Jan 2005, 15:30 (Ref:1212659)   #56
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchie
Sure, he finished 3 races and all 3 in the points. However, from his 10 starts, 5 of them are recorded as DNF's caused by spins or crashes (from the verstappen site no less).

one of them beeing caused by Irvine(Brazil) and one by Zanardi(who drove his Lotus into the back of Jos's Benetton at Monza puncturing his rear tire wich caused a spin)
Old 29 Jan 2005, 15:47 (Ref:1212666)   #57
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
And 3 of them caused by Jos. Benetton couldn't replace him with Herbert quickly enough.
Old 29 Jan 2005, 16:10 (Ref:1212678)   #58
minirda
Racer

minirda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even an experienced Nelson Piguet caused spins and crashes, and was replaced. You're talking about a WDC!
You are very biased, when it comes to Jos. I don't know what it is..... But you really are.
Old 29 Jan 2005, 18:03 (Ref:1212717)   #59
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
And 3 of them caused by Jos. Benetton couldn't replace him with Herbert quickly enough.

Yes, Herbert, who managed only DNF's in that car.
Old 29 Jan 2005, 21:06 (Ref:1212797)   #60
Roninho
Racer

Roninho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchie
How do you figure that?

If my memory is working, Jos scored 1 podium from I dont know how many starts (10?), whereas Kimi won the second race in his second year, scored a stack of podiums and was in title contention until the final round. Probably would've won the title if not for an engine failure at the Nurburgring.

I know that to compare Jos' first year and Kimi's 2nd year is unfair, but when in Rome...
Didn't Kimi only win in his 3rd season? 1 year sauber (obviously no wins), year 1 mclaren no wins (in which he missed his first win after a mistake at the end of the french gp) and year 2 at mclaren wins and almost champ?
Old 29 Jan 2005, 21:09 (Ref:1212800)   #61
Roninho
Racer

Roninho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyway, it seems fair to say that Jos did NOT perform as expected from benetton. Otherwise I would not know why they would dump him for Herbert, and dropping him completely the next year and finance a drive at Simtek just to avoid legal action.
Old 29 Jan 2005, 21:36 (Ref:1212817)   #62
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Herbert did two races at the end of 1994 - in one he broke down, and in the other he was one of several drivers to spin off on dry tyres in a sudden downpour. In 1995 he'd beaten Jos' total from 10 races within 4 races. And, Piquet wasn't replaced mid-season while he still had a contract, Jos was.
Old 29 Jan 2005, 21:43 (Ref:1212822)   #63
Rime
Rookie

Vatican City State
What are we talking about? That was 1994... Now it's 2005, Jos will be testing next week for several Champcar teams and then makes his choice. I think Champcar suits Jos very well considering that he is one of the last real racers, a driver which you like or you don't like but if he takes part in a race something happens and most of the time his drivingstyle is great to watch. So let's quit this discussion about his (lack of) talent and concentrate on the future!
Old 29 Jan 2005, 22:16 (Ref:1212833)   #64
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Dutch chap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So let's quit this discussion about his (lack of) talent and concentrate on the future!
Old 30 Jan 2005, 03:57 (Ref:1212938)   #65
mitchie
Racer

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roninho
Didn't Kimi only win in his 3rd season? 1 year sauber (obviously no wins), year 1 mclaren no wins (in which he missed his first win after a mistake at the end of the french gp) and year 2 at mclaren wins and almost champ?
Good point and well made I could lie and said I was just testing people, but I botched that royal it seems

Anyhu, I look forward to seeing how Jos fares in his Champ Car test
Old 30 Jan 2005, 12:49 (Ref:1213129)   #66
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Plenty of drivers have won quicker than Kimi in fact - Montoya, Damon Hill, Michael Schumacher and Jacques Villeneuve come to mind form recent years. All of those arguably had better cars than Kimi at the time though. But anyway.

If Jos gets a drive togehter, good luck to him, I just don't think it's a particualr benefit to the championship.
Old 30 Jan 2005, 15:40 (Ref:1213183)   #67
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
More of a benefit than another Nelson Phillipe, but what is broken here isn't going to be fixed by any one driver coming into or leaving the Series.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 30 Jan 2005, 16:04 (Ref:1213198)   #68
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From my viewpoint he is a proven talent and would add some quality competition to the series. I think he could surprise quite a few people.
If I recall correctly he matched up quite well against Justin Wilson in their time together at Minardi.

Last edited by enemy-ace; 30 Jan 2005 at 16:05.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 31 Jan 2005, 20:14 (Ref:1214050)   #69
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Though he was vastly more experienced than Wilson; I think Justin has more speed in him than Verstappen.
Old 31 Jan 2005, 21:26 (Ref:1214099)   #70
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Verstappen got all the enhancements and upgrades first - Justin even started the seaosn without power steering. Justin also had to adjust to the HANS device, which didn't suit him at all, and they weren't together for the full season - once Justin left for Jaguar he was 6-5 down in qualifying (admittedly including one race where Jos' car failed on his lap), and I'm sure he'd've overhauled that in the last 5 races.
Old 31 Jan 2005, 21:44 (Ref:1214116)   #71
Rime
Rookie

Vatican City State
Quote:
Verstappen got all the enhancements and upgrades first - Justin even started the seaosn without power steering. Justin also had to adjust to the HANS device, which didn't suit him at all, and they weren't together for the full season - once Justin left for Jaguar he was 6-5 down in qualifying (admittedly including one race where Jos' car failed on his lap), and I'm sure he'd've overhauled that in the last 5 races.
Sorry to correct you but saturday qualifying was 6-4 for Jos including a crash in Imola and a carfailure in Austria. Friday qualifying (all cars with empty tanks and new tyres) 10-1 for Jos. Both started the season without powersteering and all drivers had to adjust to the HANS device.... Let's just wait and see, I think Jos might surprise a few in a Champcar (but thats just my opinion).
Old 31 Jan 2005, 22:02 (Ref:1214131)   #72
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
6-5 if you count Austria (where Jos' car failed), 6-4 if you don't. Same difference. And whose fault was Jos' crash at Imola? By Friday lunchtime Justin had virtually no experience of the tracks, or of low-fuel fresh-tyre running, so the fact that Jos was faster in those is unsurprising and meaningless. The HANS device was harder for Justin due to his height and body-shape, and I know Jos had power-steering much sooner than Wilson, as well as first-call on every other upgrade as it came.
Old 31 Jan 2005, 23:05 (Ref:1214171)   #73
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Dutch chap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
.... and I know Jos had power-steering much sooner than Wilson, as well as first-call on every other upgrade as it came.
So you know? As a fact? How? Because you're a Minardi engineer? Or because you read magazines?
Old 31 Jan 2005, 23:17 (Ref:1214185)   #74
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I thought it was pretty much common knowledge that Verstappen's Minardi had power steering a few races before Wilson's? I'm not pointing the finger, Paul Stoddart has to husband limited resources and Verstappen was much the more experienced driver.
Old 31 Jan 2005, 23:23 (Ref:1214191)   #75
Rime
Rookie

Vatican City State
Quote:
6-5 if you count Austria (where Jos' car failed), 6-4 if you don't. Same difference.
I hate it to bother you again but how can it be 6-5 if Minardi only qualified in 10 Gp's on saturday with Verstappen/Wilson (remember Melbourne)? Including Austria and San Marino it was 6-4 for Jos if you don't count Austria it was 6-3 for Jos. But who cares, you don't get any points for qualifying in F1....

Didn't Justin called Verstappen one of the most underestimated drivers in F1 and didn't Salo named Jos as his fastest teammate ever? That counts more to me then some qualifying figures....