Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 30 Sep 2004, 12:13 (Ref:1111173)   #51
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
any ont think gore will be in a holden next year?
Old 30 Sep 2004, 12:14 (Ref:1111176)   #52
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I dont think the control freaks in Perkins and Gore would get on at all!
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 30 Sep 2004, 12:19 (Ref:1111183)   #53
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
but if larry was the car builder and craig the team owner.

plus larry has his finger in othger pies it could happen

move one steven richards to across to WPS/ cstrol racing along with alex davidson
Old 30 Sep 2004, 12:24 (Ref:1111192)   #54
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It could happen, but would LP, or indeed his more than capable crew, allow control of pit strategy, driver lineups, tyre choice, suspension setup etc etc to Mr Gore?
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 30 Sep 2004, 12:27 (Ref:1111198)   #55
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
well that would depend on LP outlook on v8s now
if you had to pay to get a car fixed or get paid to fix a car, what would be your preference?
Old 30 Sep 2004, 13:02 (Ref:1111243)   #56
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The franchises were issued in 1998 after the esablishment of AVESCO. Twelve were issued to those teams that were committed to all or most of the rounds gained a licence. A 13th was issued to Bob Forbes in 1999, don't particuarly know why when some of the more established teams only received a Level 2.

Level 1 licences entitle a team to enter 2 cars, although 6 of the recipients were only 1 car teams at the time.

Seven of the franchises are still owned by the original teams that they were issued to, even if the ownership of the team has changed being:

Dick Johnson Racing
Garry Rogers Motorsport
Glenn Seton Racing / Ford Performance Racing
Holden Racing Team
Lansvale Smah Repairs / Tasman Motorsport
Larkham Motorsport
Stone Brothers Racing

The other 6 were issued as follows

Bob Forbes Racing, used by Rodney Forbes from 99-01, and then by 00 Motorsport in 02-03. Sold to K Mart Racing midway through 04.

Gibson Motorsport, used by GMS 98-01. Even when the team was owned by Gary Dumbrell and Bob Forbes in 00 & 01, the franchise was still owned by Fred Gibson. Sold to John Briggs in 02 for the new Betta Electrical team. Passed with team to 888.

John Faulkner Racing used by JFR from 98-02. Leased to K Mart Racing for the beginning of 03, and then sold to Paul Weel Racing after K Mart aquired the Bob Forbes franchise.

Longhurst Racing used by Longhurst in 98-99. Included in sale of team to Brad Jones Racing in 00.

Perkins Engineering used by PE from 98-04. Sold to Craig Gore from 01/05.

Romano Racing. Used by RR from 98-00. Leased to TWR for the K Mart team in 01. Sold 03 to Dynamic Motorsport.

When Longhurst sold up at the end of 99 the franchise was included for only $100K, I think the Romano franchise went at the end of 02 for about $800k.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 14:13 (Ref:1111299)   #57
Kerri
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
Kerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well isn't that all an eye opener.
And we were going to start the whole franchise thing.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 14:16 (Ref:1111302)   #58
Kerri
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
Kerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks GTR & Anthony, that has certainly answered a heap of questions i didn't really want to ask.
I wonder what Avesco and Tega will come up with next.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 14:34 (Ref:1111319)   #59
mjt57
Racer

mjt57 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks fellas, from me, too. To me, a franchise was conjuring up an image of something like a McDonalds outlet. I s'pose this is the same.

What happens if a team has had enough and wishes to bow out and he can't offload his franchise? If it's an L1 team, then it's committed to all rounds, right? Would he be forced to compete or be penalised? I ask this regarding the issue surround JFR and the other parties involved in the legal fracas with Avesco.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 14:44 (Ref:1111326)   #60
Kerri
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
On another issue - I was told today that a certain category (who is now looking very good for 2005) franchises have increased unbelieveably.
Something in the vacinity of $50g to $100g in a matter of days.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 16:21 (Ref:1111415)   #61
mjt57
Racer

mjt57 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Must be related to the housing sector. Perhaps real estate agents are Avesco board members......
Old 30 Sep 2004, 16:22 (Ref:1111417)   #62
Harves
Racer

Tonga
Melbourne
Harves should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can I just say, go and see the new IMAX movie about NASCAR, some guy's in the sport own 5 different teams. The teams range from 15mil to 20mil per team and the one guy owns each team, come race day if one team wins he says he has no joy from that victory because it does his head in as to why the other 4 lost.

Let's face it...sorry..IMHO, AVESCO are using NASCAR as their model and hey...why not, that model works very blooody well. The big question is ???? How many Franchise should there be?????? Probably being here in Aus, maybe per capita (sic) would be the way to go due to limited corporate dollars, cause really again, IMHO, I don't care for team owners, just the drivers. I might be wrong but I don't know any people that go to watch team owners.

Yes I've had a few tonight.
Old 1 Oct 2004, 00:22 (Ref:1111872)   #63
Archer
Veteran

Archer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My thoughts

Perkins Motorsport to run two cars with an ex-WPS L2 and leased-RNR L2 for Richo in Castrol colours and Davison in BP colours.

No customer cars, no Dumbrell.

I believe LP sold his L1 on the thought that he could make a few bob off of it, nothing more and nothing less.

Dumbrells bank account could come in very handy to keep an Adelaide teams head above water in '05...
I support (V8): Holden, Holden Racing Team, Perkins Motorsport, #888, #2, #22, #11, #7, #3, #34, #51, #55, #33, #88, #18, #4, #5 & #1. I support (F1): Williams Toyota, Red Bull Renault, #15, #16, #23, #9 & #10.

RIP Peter Brock and Mark Porter
Old 1 Oct 2004, 00:39 (Ref:1111877)   #64
lcfp2297
Racer

Australia
lcfp2297 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In addition to what GTR and Anthony have stated, Up until the creation of licenses from the franchises, there was no cap on the number of cars taht could be entered under a level 1. (remember Perkins ran a 3rd car with the Cougars, and HRT ran HYL and KRT under their franchise). The cap came about when so many teams entered a third car for the 01 or 02 season (SBR, DJR etc) that pre-qualifying was required...
Old 2 Oct 2004, 02:20 (Ref:1113027)   #65
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the moment the L1 Franchises look after themselves. With the L2's, there seems to be things getting locked in now but still a long way to go.
#14 IMS - To Jason Bright
#43 PWR - Apparently to Steve Ellery
#31 SER - As is
#7 RNR - To be used by Larry Perkins
#75 PLR - Supposedly staying as is
#48 WPS - Apparently leased but to who?
#24 RR - Who knows?
#29 PMM - As is
#021 TKR - As is
If Larry is going to run 2 cars next year (abiet as preparer) then the only franchises he could run under are RNR and then a choice of PLR, Romano or #43 and #48 which neither are supposed to happen.
Old 2 Oct 2004, 02:40 (Ref:1113030)   #66
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Unless of course Mr Bright is bringing his franchise to Perkins-land, to run a 2 car SuperTeam with Richo in the other seat..... and Mr Davison running in place of Tratty
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 2 Oct 2004, 05:44 (Ref:1113061)   #67
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I dont think there are any possums in that tree, GTR. Perhaps try barking up the next one...
Old 2 Oct 2004, 06:14 (Ref:1113078)   #68
pete55
Veteran

There could be a connection there GTR. It was just put to me that Steven Richards could be the buyer or lesee of the WPS L2. Makes sense to me.
Old 2 Oct 2004, 06:19 (Ref:1113079)   #69
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally posted by pete55
There could be a connection there GTR. It was just put to me that Steven Richards could be the buyer or lesee of the WPS L2. Makes sense to me.
Interestingly, it was just such a scenario that Mr Perkins had envisaged when he announced he wanted to sell his franchises earlier in the year

Altho #48 is allegedly spoken for....
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 2 Oct 2004, 06:27 (Ref:1113081)   #70
pete55
Veteran

Well it might be #24 then. But the word i got was a deal may have been made when the LP L1 to WPS transaction took place. If so my contact has done a good job. If not i'll have words with him.
Old 2 Oct 2004, 06:38 (Ref:1113085)   #71
Camaroz
Veteran

Camaroz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Harves
Can I just say, go and see the new IMAX movie about NASCAR, some guy's in the sport own 5 different teams. The teams range from 15mil to 20mil per team and the one guy owns each team, come race day if one team wins he says he has no joy from that victory because it does his head in as to why the other 4 lost.

Let's face it...sorry..IMHO, AVESCO are using NASCAR as their model and hey...why not, that model works very blooody well. The big question is ???? How many Franchise should there be?????? Probably being here in Aus, maybe per capita (sic) would be the way to go due to limited corporate dollars, cause really again, IMHO, I don't care for team owners, just the drivers. I might be wrong but I don't know any people that go to watch team owners.

Yes I've had a few tonight.
Harves,

One of the biggest differences between NASCAR and AVESCO is that there is no franchise system in NASCAR! In NASCAR, to crack the show each week you have to qualify in the top 43 or use a 'provisional' to get a start. If you are not in the top 43 and have no provisionals you don't get a start. The AVESCO system is more like F1, providing you qualify within 110% of pole your in!

If we had the NASCAR system here in V8SC, the Start Grid would be made up of the fastest 36 (32?), which means a good (lets say Lites) team could (attempt to) qualify and bump one of the main-gamers out of the show (imagine SER - Youlden or BJR - Andrew Jones running an extra car in selected events). With the Franchise System though, the start spots are assured for Franchise holders.

The best part of the Franchise system is that it gives a value (asset) to the Team Owner that is commercially saleable, in NASCAR, whole Teams tend to be sold including the pit trolleys to race shops, cars and even crew contracts.

For our population base, I reckon the Franchise system has been the best model for V8SC.

Cheers.
Old 2 Oct 2004, 09:38 (Ref:1113156)   #72
Ellery31
Rookie

Ellery31 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Garth Walden looking to run in 2005 with Romano franchise again plus with an ex FPR BA Falcon
Old 2 Oct 2004, 09:49 (Ref:1113164)   #73
pete55
Veteran

I somehow don't think Garth will have the money to do it. L2 Franchises have suddenly become really scarce and valuable commodities.
Old 2 Oct 2004, 09:52 (Ref:1113167)   #74
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Doubt it.
Old 2 Oct 2004, 10:12 (Ref:1113179)   #75
Timu
Veteran

New Zealand
Waiuku, New Zealand
Timu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
#24 was the franchise Morris was keeping his eye on, but I think they are happy enough as a one car, multi customer/supplier team...