Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 20 Jul 2004, 19:04 (Ref:1041559)   #51
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks, Flatspot....

I wasn't aware that the link you posted was an update on this issue....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 20 Jul 2004, 19:40 (Ref:1041588)   #52
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Yeah... Thanks Flatspot...
Quote:
Peter Jacobsen Productions on Monday submitted a proposal that would bring the IRL to Portland for at least 2005 - assuming IRL and PJP can strike a deal.

But Champ Car stood firm on its claim that it would not submit a proposal, and also did not return phone calls to City Commissioner Jim Francesconi, who oversees the city-owned and -operated track as Portland's parks commissioner. Francesconi said he left messages with Champ Car president Dick Eidswick and race promotions vice president Tim Ramsberger on Monday.
Old 20 Jul 2004, 20:25 (Ref:1041621)   #53
mueber
Rookie

United States
Fort Wayne, IN, USA
mueber should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I still think some gamesmanship was going on that OWRS decided was not in its best interests, but, ALWAYS return phone calls. It gives you a chance to explain yourself.
Old 20 Jul 2004, 20:27 (Ref:1041625)   #54
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Obviously Champ Car doesn't want the race if it's not even prepared to talk to them.
Old 20 Jul 2004, 20:30 (Ref:1041629)   #55
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Eidswick might know some things that George doesn't.
Old 20 Jul 2004, 21:17 (Ref:1041682)   #56
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mueber
I still think some gamesmanship was going on that OWRS decided was not in its best interests, but, ALWAYS return phone calls. It gives you a chance to explain yourself.

I agree.....

Throughout my life, I have tried to make sure that I did not burn any bridges behind me....

and I can't tell you how many times I have been glad that I didn't burn them....

Because somewhere down the road, I've had to go back to old contacts, or past employers or whatever, and work deals or make things happen that would require them to be a part of it...

Sorry, but not returning Portland's calls after working together for 19 years is not smart...when you choose not to continue a relationship, at least you should give a reason why to the party you're breaking up with...

The kind of nonsense has to go away in open-wheeled racing....period...

Last edited by Tim Northcutt; 20 Jul 2004 at 21:20.

Old 20 Jul 2004, 21:22 (Ref:1041686)   #57
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tim, you should be running the series!
Old 20 Jul 2004, 21:23 (Ref:1041687)   #58
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just because OWRS didn't answer the phone and return phone calls the SAME day doesn't mean that they aren't returning Portland's phone calls, it just means that they haven't YET.
Old 20 Jul 2004, 21:35 (Ref:1041692)   #59
Kicking-back
Veteran

True, but still....
Old 20 Jul 2004, 21:51 (Ref:1041700)   #60
racinthestreets
Racer

racinthestreets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Portland is off the charts for OWRS, which means off the schedule. They are truly focused on the Canadian races, and that is becoming a circus becuase of the status of Molson. I am not sure, but the OWRS may have to step up and "self promote" the Canadian races next year if Molson is not up to the task. From what I read, it appears that the Molson family is in for some tough negotiations that do not even involve sporting promotions. This is where the focus and resources of OWRS needs to remain - and having GF as a principal is helping keep the focus where it needs to be IMO. I liked Portland, was there again this year. OWRS and CCWS need the Canadian venues and fans as much as the cars need methenol to run. Just my take, a fan, no inside knowledge whatsoever.
Old 20 Jul 2004, 21:52 (Ref:1041702)   #61
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by jjspierx
Just because OWRS didn't answer the phone and return phone calls the SAME day doesn't mean that they aren't returning Portland's phone calls, it just means that they haven't YET.
These guys don't have secretaries???

Sorry, but when you know that the Portland deal is on a deadline, and they're trying to call you to talk because you haven't responded to their request, the least you can do is take 30 seconds to dial seven digits to say "I'm up to my eyeballs in ________ (meetings, final details for Vancouver, whatever) but I want to talk with you...can I call you tomorrow?"

Or have your secretary call to say "He's really tied up today (or traveleing, or whatever) but I know he wants to speak with you...can he call you tomorrow????"

But to have NO ONE return the call, when it seems obvious that Portland is interested in having OWRS in the mix, or they wouldn't have made those calls to OWRS....

Sorry, but that's bad business...and it sends the wrong message....

Old 20 Jul 2004, 22:12 (Ref:1041719)   #62
racinthestreets
Racer

I guess we can all assume that politicians do not lie. We have only heard what the politicians have to say. The OWRS are businessmen that deal with politicos daily - I am only assuming that they are professionals and know the value of maintaining a reputation. Also, remember they made their statements

We love Portland and want to return there," Ramsberger said. "But it seems as though we're being dealt with unfairly. It's disheartening to know that we've developed this tradition and made this investment in Portland over the years, and now we're being asked to compete for a race in a bidding situation.

Furthermore:

When asked if Champ Car was prepared to end its relationship with Portland, Ramsberger said, "I think you can infer that from our actions, but it would be with much dismay.

Tim I personally like your contributions. You are knowledgeable and well versed. I just disagree that OWRS is ignoring the politicos. And if they are, possibly they have nothing more to say that what has been said and submitted. Knowing government here, they may have called back, but because it was 1 minute past 5:00 PM the office was empty.
Old 20 Jul 2004, 22:13 (Ref:1041721)   #63
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed, Tim. This was just a rather stuffy, whiny way of acting indignant toward Portland.
Old 20 Jul 2004, 22:19 (Ref:1041724)   #64
Kicking-back
Veteran

If CC doesn't want to race there, have the balls to say so - rather than ignore them.
Old 20 Jul 2004, 22:23 (Ref:1041728)   #65
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
In what way are they beaing dealt with unfairly????

In the past, they have not had a "competitor" who was interested in bidding on a race at PIR...

Now that the IRL wants to go road racing and Portland is of interest to them, in most cities and states, when competing parties are interested in getting a contract with a government entity, the government entity has to conduct a bidding process....

Ramsberger's comments are a copout...

Old 20 Jul 2004, 22:45 (Ref:1041742)   #66
racinthestreets
Racer

Don't forget that OWRS offered a three year commitment. That is not a copout. I will say that I believe that OWRS has reservations about keeping Portland at this point. With the negotiations in Canada, they do not need the distraction that Portland has become. Fight for the winners! The IRL's offer is not public as of yet, and PJP is negotiating with some kind of back door agreement. If the IRL is not interested in Mid Ohio (Bobby Rahal) then they surely are not interested in Portland IMO. Regardless of ties to the Northwest.

Possibly OWRS would look better to the fans and public if they did not appear to "copout" and stated: "We are no longer interested in Portland at this time. We made an offer to Portland and at this time we feel it in the best interests of OWRS and CCWS to withdraw that offer and pursure other venues." IMO, this is what is really happening.
Old 21 Jul 2004, 01:22 (Ref:1041798)   #67
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gloom, despair and agony oh me ...
deep dark depression, excessive misery ...
if it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all ...
gloom, despair and agony OH MEEEEEE!

This Hee Haw Moment was brought to you by the Brotherhood of the Crying Towel, always ready to pour cold water on ever occasion and wave the white flag of surrender.

I have donned my rain gear and my visor and am now impervious to all cold water and crying towels. Just DROP THE FLAG!
Old 21 Jul 2004, 01:34 (Ref:1041800)   #68
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz

This Hee Haw Moment was brought to you by the Brotherhood of the Crying Towel,
Brotherhood of the Crying Towel. That is one of the funniest lines I've heard in a long time young Kate. And so appropriate for the occasion.

OWRS has decided to let Porland go, I suggest the politicians of Portland do likewise with the CCWS and embrace whatever, (if any), series they end up with and stop grandstanding in their local paper.
Old 21 Jul 2004, 02:29 (Ref:1041807)   #69
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Nahh! The funniest line is Ramsberger's: "Its disheartening to know that we've developed this tradition and made this investment in Portland over the years, and now we're being asked to compete for a race in a bidding situation."

Now that is funny as:
1) OWRS has been in existence since January. Nice to take credit for Years of Support from the entity that no longer exists.
2) They are in the racing business but don't think competing or being asked to compete is fair.
3) They (the Amigos) are "businessmen" but would rather not take a businesslike approach to demonstrate that their product is still superior. I can see the headline now: "Ford angered over GM's continued efforts to sell cars to same customer base." 'We invented the assembly line and look what they are trying to do to us!' said a Ford spokesperson.
4) And the phones apparently don't work at OWRS central.

It is just plain good manners to at least answer the phones - I am with you on this one Tim!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 21 Jul 2004, 02:46 (Ref:1041813)   #70
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
Your points look more loaded than any dice in Vegas, John.

OWRS has handled themselves with dignity over Portland of late, not always but cetainly of late. They are certainly not running to the local paper hanky in hand crying that their old girlfriend won't return their calls. . OWRS are well out of it, the decision is made, Portland are continuing to do their business through the media, first with OWRS and now with their IRL dealings, not very professional and I don't blame OWRS one bit for getting tired of their posturing routine.
Old 21 Jul 2004, 02:46 (Ref:1041814)   #71
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with the above EXCEPT I think that TG conspired with the Indianapolis phone company to intercept all incoming phone calls from the 503 area code to the OWRS offices in an effort to crush the evil Champ Car empire.

But seriously all we really have is what is in a single newspaper. I want to watch this thing simmer for awhile before passing any judgements. Who knows, the coucilman could have called Champ Car at 5:45 PST when they were closed, the paper secretary calls the city office at 5:55 and asks "who submitted an RFP", the secretary on the other end says, "well the IRL guy did and I know Jim tried to call Ed and Ed hasn't called back yet" and the story goes to print as we read it, "As of 6:00pm Champ Car fails to submit and won't return calls." Still a little early for conclusions me thinks.
Old 21 Jul 2004, 03:08 (Ref:1041817)   #72
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
Flatspot, there's no room for common sense around here, away with you.

Last edited by The Snout; 21 Jul 2004 at 03:08.
Old 21 Jul 2004, 03:22 (Ref:1041821)   #73
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I can live with Flatspot's version of events. In my own business day we have to deal with the 3 hour delay in talking to folks on the West Coast for our IT support. So imho it is entirely possible that there is a timing issue here.

That takes telephone tag to a whole new level!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 21 Jul 2004, 05:17 (Ref:1041856)   #74
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm afraid I agree with John SSC's previous post. If one remembers, Portland was sketchy on the CART/OWRS schedule back in December and January and February and Gentilozzi was playing with the Oregonian to get the city to ante up and threatening to pull the race if that didn't happen. In the end, OWRS self-promoted....as CART did in '03, so Gentilozzi's public ruse was a lot of B.S.

As for history, as John said, OWRS has been in existence since January. Gentilozzi and Kalkhoven are less than one-year greenhorns in the business. Ramsberger is the recently deposed chieftain of the now-defunct St. Pete race. This is entirely a different deal with entirely different people and history plays absolutely no part in it.
Old 21 Jul 2004, 13:55 (Ref:1042186)   #75
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by racinthestreets
Don't forget that OWRS offered a three year commitment. That is not a copout. I will say that I believe that OWRS has reservations about keeping Portland at this point. With the negotiations in Canada, they do not need the distraction that Portland has become. Fight for the winners! The IRL's offer is not public as of yet, and PJP is negotiating with some kind of back door agreement. If the IRL is not interested in Mid Ohio (Bobby Rahal) then they surely are not interested in Portland IMO. Regardless of ties to the Northwest.

Possibly OWRS would look better to the fans and public if they did not appear to "copout" and stated: "We are no longer interested in Portland at this time. We made an offer to Portland and at this time we feel it in the best interests of OWRS and CCWS to withdraw that offer and pursure other venues." IMO, this is what is really happening.

Whatever happens, happens.....

The quotes you posted by Ramsberger wer a copout.....

the whiney "after 19 years, they asked us to submit a bid....blah,blah, blah" is a copout....

It is a musincipal facility....if nore than one party is interested in bidding on a contract, many cities and states require a bidding process....period....

That's reality....it was not a slap in the face on Portland's part to ask for an RFP when a contract is up for renewal and a second party wants to compete for the opportunity to ear that contract....

In most places, it is the law....