Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Jan 2013, 00:44 (Ref:3190240)   #51
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Haug is also out of the program which can't be good for anyone involved
I honestly don't think this matters too much. I can see that he had to go because he was the head man and he's the one who has to accept responsibility if a project fails.

However, I don't see what input he had that caused it to fail. Basically, Ross Brawn and his team didn't come up with a car that was capable of delivering the goods on a regular basis and Schumi was mostly only a shadow of his former self. I'm sorry if that upsets his fans, but it's the truth. It was a mistake to come back.

Rosberg had the better of him most of the time, but I don't expect him to beat Hamilton, so that's a potential improvement right there. As others have said, only time will tell how much of an improvement.
Old 17 Jan 2013, 00:47 (Ref:3190243)   #52
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2448jg View Post

But, I will always be sad to think that it could have been Schumi driving that car.
hmmmm......2004 now seems such a long time ago.
Old 17 Jan 2013, 01:21 (Ref:3190250)   #53
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
That would be four teams, eight cars and that is exactly where Rosberg finished in the WDC, ninth.

Mercedes 5th in WCC on 142 points vs Renault in 4th on 303 points. Not too far clear of Sauber on 126 points.
No it would be three cars driven by Alonso,Vettel,and Lewis Hamilton..
Old 17 Jan 2013, 01:44 (Ref:3190259)   #54
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
No it would be three cars driven by Alonso,Vettel,and Lewis Hamilton..
So Lewis will be 0.25 secs a lap quicker than Nico in qualifying [Brundle] and Kimi in the Lotus Renault isn't a problem either. Wow!

This will be impressive.
Old 17 Jan 2013, 01:58 (Ref:3190264)   #55
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
So Lewis will be 0.25 secs a lap quicker than Nico in qualifying [Brundle] and Kimi in the Lotus Renault isn't a problem either. Wow!

This will be impressive.
I am not saying that..What I am saying is that the Mercedes was close in speed to the top three cars of last year which where Redbull,McLaren and Ferrari..In the hands of those drivers..

People on here make it sound like the Mercedes was a milk float...
Old 17 Jan 2013, 02:17 (Ref:3190273)   #56
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I am not saying that..What I am saying is that the Mercedes was close in speed to the top three cars of last year which where Redbull,McLaren and Ferrari..In the hands of those drivers..

Average qualifying position

8.95 Schumacher
9.35 Rosberg

Hamilton in the McLaren best of all at 4.2

Maldonado in the Williams at 8.7
Old 17 Jan 2013, 21:26 (Ref:3190743)   #57
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Fernando Alonso says that Lewis Hamilton is the fastest man on four wheels...

Given the car I think he is right, therefore he will win races..
Old 17 Jan 2013, 21:46 (Ref:3190754)   #58
jj2448jg
Rookie

United Kingdom
Nuneaton
jj2448jg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Turning into a bit of war of words between Fernando and Red Bull.

Cue more Marko outbursts!
Old 17 Jan 2013, 22:11 (Ref:3190764)   #59
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fernando and Lewis' admiration for eachother has grown more vocal each year - it's quite nice to see.

It is v.much like they both begrudge Seb a little (and obviously Fernando's comment was a little dig back at good ol' Marko).
Old 17 Jan 2013, 22:32 (Ref:3190775)   #60
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I am not saying that..What I am saying is that the Mercedes was close in speed to the top three cars of last year which were Red Bull, McLaren and Ferrari..In the hands of those drivers..

The Mercedes was quick in the right circumstances, but hopeless with tyres.

The Renault was also better than it. For Kimi to finish 3rd overall in that car was amazing, even if he was fed up because he had to go the FIA prize giving and probably drink less than usual there!
Old 18 Jan 2013, 00:45 (Ref:3190843)   #61
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Nothing can really be said until the cars go out for first practice in Melbourne, or unless it's obvious in testing that someone is driving a complete dog of a car.

Alonso is doing his usual 'mind games', but I don't think that it bothers Vettel too much. Alonso knows that Vettel is quick and very intelligent with it.
Old 18 Jan 2013, 09:26 (Ref:3190984)   #62
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
For anyone who missed it, here is the exact quote from Alonso. Unlike the mad doctor, I don't think he does play mind games so I'm taking the comments at face value: http://www.autosport.com/news/report...ce=mostpopular
Old 18 Jan 2013, 12:39 (Ref:3191071)   #63
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
For anyone who missed it, here is the exact quote from Alonso. Unlike the mad doctor, I don't think he does play mind games so I'm taking the comments at face value: http://www.autosport.com/news/report...ce=mostpopular
He surely knows what he's talking about...
Old 18 Jan 2013, 12:43 (Ref:3191076)   #64
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Alonso seems to be incredibly sure that the Mercedes will be a good car!
Old 18 Jan 2013, 18:36 (Ref:3191190)   #65
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Mercedes are being rather hush of late, which I take as a positive sign..

They should have kept Norbert IMHO..
Old 18 Jan 2013, 19:53 (Ref:3191215)   #66
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
very quiet indeed. would have expected some promotional stuff like a commercial at least.

also havent heard LH signing any new sponsorship deals which to be honest i thought would come the day after his Mclaren contract ended. maybe the sponsors are like us and wondering and waiting to see if he can win a race first.
Old 18 Jan 2013, 20:39 (Ref:3191232)   #67
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
There was supposed to have been a party up there today when Hamilton and Brawn were going along, but I don't know if the great British weather put paid to that.
Old 19 Jan 2013, 01:44 (Ref:3191323)   #68
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:

They should have kept Norbert IMHO..
Well, he left because of the teams lack of competitiveness. So, it wasn't really a question of keeping him.

Mercedes need to look first at trying to pull themselves out of the midfield that they have, in these last three seasons, been regularly mired in, rather than aiming for the dizzying heights of genuine victories that weren't the product of their car being on the right track with the right tyres at the right time.

I think that they will be more worried about the teams that finished just behind them, rather than the teams that finished way ahead of them. They also spent a lot more time trying to understand the tyres than any of the other teams did, and still they hadn't done that by the end of the season. They also spent a lot of time trying to get their double DRS working properly, when there were more fundamental problems with the car that needed fixing.

I do hope that Mercedes produce a good car this time, but their past history doesn't give much hope of that.
Old 19 Jan 2013, 13:27 (Ref:3191456)   #69
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Well, they produced a decent car in 1971/2/3 when they were Tyrrell...
Old 19 Jan 2013, 17:55 (Ref:3191511)   #70
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Well, he left because of the teams lack of competitiveness. So, it wasn't really a question of keeping him
Your right, but the fact that the car was not at competitive as it needs to be, was he responsible for that in reality ?
Old 19 Jan 2013, 18:13 (Ref:3191518)   #71
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
I do hope that Mercedes produce a good car this time, but their past history doesn't give much hope of that.
The voice in my ear is saying that new car looks fantastic...
Old 19 Jan 2013, 18:41 (Ref:3191525)   #72
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
The voice in my ear is saying that new car looks fantastic...
Looks can be deceiving.

I don't think that the: 'If it looks fast it will be fast' phrase, as really applied to F1 cars for quite some time. If looks counted for anything, then McLaren should have walked away with last seasons championships.
Old 19 Jan 2013, 20:35 (Ref:3191554)   #73
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
This is why Lewis has gone to Mercedes..

http://willthef1journo.wordpress.com...it-is-awesome/
Old 19 Jan 2013, 23:31 (Ref:3191596)   #74
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
I don't think that the: 'If it looks fast it will be fast' phrase, as really applied to F1 cars for quite some time. If looks counted for anything, then McLaren should have walked away with last seasons championships.
If you look at the whole season the McLaren was the fastest car and Hamilton should have been WDC, but there were far too many 'problems'. Red Bull got it right by having better priorities. McLaren over-complicate things.

Random fact: over the years they were team-mates Jenson outscored Hamilton by a narrow margin. Something like 57 points to 52.
Old 20 Jan 2013, 08:54 (Ref:3191666)   #75
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
If you look at the whole season the McLaren was the fastest car and Hamilton should have been WDC, but there were far too many 'problems'. Red Bull got it right by having better priorities. McLaren over-complicate things.

Random fact: over the years they were team-mates Jenson outscored Hamilton by a narrow margin. Something like 57 points to 52.
657 to 652 ?