Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 8 Sep 2024, 08:40 (Ref:4225762)   #51
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlandsman View Post
Never been a fan of this stuff, so I dont really get the interest, it seems to me that LM felt the need to go public, he very rarely does such things usually only when ticket sales are poor or like this, when something clearly has happened that has riled him.

I think it is fairly obvious that some of the cars competing at the top level are basically kit cars of a type, some of them are not but some of them are, you are also dealing as is the norm in histrionics, with often very successful filthy rich men, who are worth millions, billions, who are used to winning in life, they spend a lot of money on their "hobby" and it keeps drivers in a job who make them feel like they are winners.

This is always going to have a downside. An entire industry has been built largely around these sort of men, and around a cottage industry of companies who sell these cars to these men, again, this will always have a downside.

It interests me about as much as custard I am afraid, but as I say when you have this much money involved someone will always cry foul, they always do.

That much is obvious. So much so that I really do wonder why you bothered to post in this thread.
Old 8 Sep 2024, 09:24 (Ref:4225768)   #52
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Finally dried out from Friday.
Enjoyed qually day and the 50s race into dusk, less so the liquid mud in the car park.
Fair play to the drivers and especially the riders who endured the constant rain.
As for the commentary team, both Harry and Alice are out of their depth with a lack of knowledge of the cars. They are fine when doing modern F1, F2 and F3 on the FOM platforms but really struggle, especially in qualifying.
Lots of talk trackside about the Duke's video but I doubt we will find out the truth.

Looking a tad moist again this morning.
Old 8 Sep 2024, 10:37 (Ref:4225770)   #53
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I enjoy Goodwood for the spectacle, not because the cars are exactly like the ones that I used to see when I raced. However, there are things that annoy me. Like, for example, why they permit cars to have a bonnet (hood) that flaps with straps to stop them opening fully; that would not have been allowed back then. It had to be closed and strapped/locked with pins. And why do E-Types have the boot/trunk lid open? There must be an advantage because otherwise they wouldn't do it.
Obviously I do enjoy the shows, which is why I sat glued to the TV watching it for three straight days; But I also don't kid myself that they truly represent the cars that I used to see once a fortnight 60 years ago.
I too enjoy watching the Revival on YouTube and as an active competitor in that period like yourself I agree with all you have said. The good thing about today is that the safety is so much better than back in the 60s. That leads me into my big complaint yesterday in the last race when the Aston Martin went off. It took so long to get the car in to a place of safety that it bled in to the pit open period which caused the debacle with the penalties - not helped by the green flag being waved vigorously at the same point that the pit open/closed sign was situated. With todays modern communications, recovery vehicles and the number of marshals available at Goodwood that car should have been moved far more quickly and (dare I say it) more efficiently than the sorry performance I watched.
Old 8 Sep 2024, 11:44 (Ref:4225774)   #54
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
That much is obvious. So much so that I really do wonder why you bothered to post in this thread.

In case others haven't noticed, this is this member's MO - he doesn't like or appreciate any motorsport that is discussed on these pages, yet feels it necessary to post negative comments on all of them.
Old 8 Sep 2024, 12:07 (Ref:4225775)   #55
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!
I don't even know and care about who you're talking about here.
Still enjoying the Sky coverage, the Barry Sheene T was brilliant!
Old 8 Sep 2024, 12:13 (Ref:4225776)   #56
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Having some E-Type course cars is cool. Never happened in the day.

Brilliant.

What’s also good is that the YouTube footage can keep you going for weeks.
Old 8 Sep 2024, 12:39 (Ref:4225779)   #57
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post

What’s also good is that the YouTube footage can keep you going for weeks.
Being able to fast forward through the hours of non motorsport coverage is a real bonus.
Old 8 Sep 2024, 14:40 (Ref:4225790)   #58
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have enjoyed dipping in and out of the coverage over the weekend and just watched a very entertaining TT Celebration race. Didnt even mind the commentary, but probably because i am not as knowledgeable as many on here!
One thing i found curious (given discussion of eligibility) was that in one of the on board cockpit shots showed an e-type (i think) that had a prominent red box on the LHS of the dash with MBE labelled on it prominently, now istr that MBE are ECUs….period….? Lol! (Am i right?).
Old 8 Sep 2024, 14:49 (Ref:4225791)   #59
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!
MSD réd ignition box is mandatory. Comes together with rev limiter and trigger replacing the points condenser. Max rev limit depends on the car and is fixed by regulation. No electronic advance curve allowed.
Old 8 Sep 2024, 14:50 (Ref:4225792)   #60
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
I have enjoyed dipping in and out of the coverage over the weekend and just watched a very entertaining TT Celebration race. Didnt even mind the commentary, but probably because i am not as knowledgeable as many on here!
One thing i found curious (given discussion of eligibility) was that in one of the on board cockpit shots showed an e-type (i think) that had a prominent red box on the LHS of the dash with MBE labelled on it prominently, now istr that MBE are ECUs….period….? Lol! (Am i right?).
Yes , a MBE system is an ECU controlling fuel injection and ignition .
Some Historic regs allow electronic ignition , but usually had to be available in the period that it relates to .
And there are fuel injectors that look just like Weber carbs , but who knows what runs in some events .
Old 8 Sep 2024, 14:51 (Ref:4225793)   #61
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
And all the wiring must be seen anytime by anyone. Rather difficult to cheat with. Good thing imo.
Old 8 Sep 2024, 17:19 (Ref:4225803)   #62
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Just really enjoyed the St Mary's part 2 - great fun!

Bit miffed that after winning the part 1 yesterday the Alfa wasn't able to make the overall win, but still a good show.

Back to the last race of the day!
Old 8 Sep 2024, 18:00 (Ref:4225807)   #63
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post

Bit miffed that after winning the part 1 yesterday the Alfa wasn't able to make the overall win, but still a good show.

Back to the last race of the day!
Yes, you're right but good to see Bill Shepherd win - he's just such a lovely bloke & from my old neck of the woods.

I just got home in time for St Mary's having had a lovely day out in my freshly serviced etc Alfa GT. with Alfa Club du Nord

Now for CT (french MoT) on Tuesday...
Old 8 Sep 2024, 18:02 (Ref:4225808)   #64
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Oooooh yes! Swift's Mini got something from America. And the Galaxie had the "fair-lane" from the start!
Old 8 Sep 2024, 18:06 (Ref:4225809)   #65
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Just realized that an ol' bloke what driving a Ferrari there. Well, a red car with a Ferrari engine …
Old 8 Sep 2024, 18:50 (Ref:4225819)   #66
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlandsman View Post
Never been a fan of this stuff, so I dont really get the interest, it seems to me that LM felt the need to go public, he very rarely does such things usually only when ticket sales are poor or like this, when something clearly has happened that has riled him.

I think it is fairly obvious that some of the cars competing at the top level are basically kit cars of a type, some of them are not but some of them are, you are also dealing as is the norm in histrionics, with often very successful filthy rich men, who are worth millions, billions, who are used to winning in life, they spend a lot of money on their "hobby" and it keeps drivers in a job who make them feel like they are winners.

This is always going to have a downside. An entire industry has been built largely around these sort of men, and around a cottage industry of companies who sell these cars to these men, again, this will always have a downside.

It interests me about as much as custard I am afraid, but as I say when you have this much money involved someone will always cry foul, they always do.
I like custard. But agree about the kit cars of a type.

They are extremely well crafted however, too well, so it's a self created problem from host/organiser to preparers and entrants.
Old 8 Sep 2024, 19:09 (Ref:4225821)   #67
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
Yes , a MBE system is an ECU controlling fuel injection and ignition .
Some Historic regs allow electronic ignition , but usually had to be available in the period that it relates to .
And there are fuel injectors that look just like Weber carbs , but who knows what runs in some events .
Thanks for clarification, and thanks Gerard but I remain confused!
Old 8 Sep 2024, 19:16 (Ref:4225825)   #68
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Team Delta had 100 % finish this year . HRTR5 P 11 in Madgwick cup . Little J40 P20 on aggregate . Duncan Rabagliati Grand Son. All three 500 floated to the finish as well . Happy days and now we head to Aunguleme Wednesday . I get to steer as well . ?
Old 8 Sep 2024, 19:22 (Ref:4225826)   #69
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
THey gave up and let people do modern stuff.
Old 8 Sep 2024, 19:46 (Ref:4225832)   #70
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Disappointing to see the 'Thunderbird' running in the last race, completely out of character for such a race. As one who attended all three Nine Hour races, I thought its inclusion a gross error of judgement, so delighted to see it retire early. I know you cannot expect everything to 'just as it was', but there should be limits.
Having had my own personal moan, I tend to think of the Revival being run as Formula Goodwood, with its own rules and regulations, designed to provide entertainment rather than reality. Fast cars driven on (and over) the limit is always worth watching.
JOMO.

Bawb.
Old 8 Sep 2024, 19:59 (Ref:4225835)   #71
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
OK, good exercice for me because I did study the MSD box thing for friends.
In the case of the Jag' you named: in period, cars were running primitive ignition, points, condenser, coil and the timing advance curve was the job of the dizzy (masses and springs).
The red MSD box purpose is to replace the points/condenser thingy and has a built-in rev limiter (working either soft or hardway).
Coil remains and the ignition timing is free but must be obtained via the mechanical way, springs and masses. Or blocked. The signal inside the dizzy is sent via either an optical or a simple magnet, system called trigger. Simple and reliable.
The MSD box must be in sight, in no way altered neither the wirings must be touched. Should you add some protection it must be made with transparent material.
What has been done, is that some organizers like Masters and Peter Auto made a kind of BoP via the rev limiters, Cobras and E Types have not the same limit. Still, Cobras are faster as in period.
No sorcery, just the electronic term is somewhat pompous… This "box" is reliable only known issue is the compatibility with some tachos (Stack sometimes).

Peter Auto technical bulletins: https://files.peterauto.fr/b/s7rx41B...hs0Kgak7GJqfMy
MSD boxes made by Holley (carbs maker too): https://www.holley.com/products/igni...gnition_boxes/
Old 8 Sep 2024, 20:11 (Ref:4225839)   #72
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Happy days and now we head to Aunguleme Wednesday.
Well done, Team Delta mechanics and drivers. If you're a satnav user, may I kindly and respectfully suggest you try with ANGOULEME …
Old 8 Sep 2024, 20:16 (Ref:4225841)   #73
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought after seeing the entry list that this year looked much better than the last few years. I decided to swallow my grumpiness and go again but by then it was sold out. That will teach me. The live coverage pictures of the splendid racing were great but the commentaries were best turned off with TSL and an entry list close to hand. Must get there next year.
Old 8 Sep 2024, 20:30 (Ref:4225843)   #74
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Following the discussion yesterday which followed from the penalties for entering the pits when they had yet to be opened, I think, but don't know for a fact, that the confusion arose because it looks to me as though the safety car line was at the end of the grid positions, and not the start line as I originally thought.

Thus, when Jimmie Johnson passed that line, the green flag was waved, and possibly erroneously, following drivers assumed incorrectly that the pits would automatically open simultaneously, and therefore ignoring or not seeing the Closed sign on display.

Talking about flags, I think that at the end of the Memorial Race this evening, although the on-screen timing showed a chequer, the flag was not waved for the first two cars across the line which is probably why they both continued at racing pace for an extra lap.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed watching the coverage; for the most part I didn't listen to the commentary even though I heard it - it was just there in the background, although my ears did pick up some one calling the Sunbeam an "Alpeene"; I've always known as an Alpine!
Old 8 Sep 2024, 20:35 (Ref:4225844)   #75
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Talking about flags, I think that at the end of the Memorial Race this evening, although the on-screen timing showed a chequer, the flag was not waved for the first two cars across the line which is probably why they both continued at racing pace for an extra lap.
+ 1 here. As to the commentators I just noticed some confusion when someone named the Anglia a Cortina. Sacrilege!