Other 1 0.78%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24 Oct 2010, 14:48 (Ref:2779629)   #51
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by genevieve_autumn View Post
I think though he relies too much on having a good car as I don't think he has enough driving skills to win it without a good car.

I think he did well but not brillant, I think Hamilton relied alot on taking advantage of the safety car and cheating, we all remenber the Liegate Scandal, I thought his Appollo performance was bad until that scandal, another shameful moment for Hamilton.

If he was such a good driver he would have done better in 2009, he got a lot of times not in the points or not in the top 5, that to me does not show he is such a great driver as everyone makes out.

He went to McClaren as Ron Dennis Protege and had the team molded around him, no one else has had that privelage.
So many things wrong with this post.
Old 24 Oct 2010, 14:49 (Ref:2779630)   #52
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
ChrisPage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
Funny you should say that. As 2009 was the year that Hamilton won over a lot of his detractors on here, by continuing to drag good results from a poor car.
Not funny ha-ha though!

There is a strong argument too that in 2008 the Ferrari was the better car so Hamilton could be one of the driver's to have taken a championship in not the quickest car. Thats all highly subjective and will never be really proved either way of course.

Hamilton was ok this weekend, but was on fire in Suzuka (race day) until his gearbox issues. Singapore he was good but got into a clumsy 50/50 racing incident. Monza runied by one terminal error. I think he's been the best driver this year, making the third quickest car into a title challenger.

However - through gritted teeth - Alonso is doing a damn good job of taking 'driver of the season' away from Lewis. T'will be an exciting last two races between them two and Webber.
Old 24 Oct 2010, 14:50 (Ref:2779631)   #53
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lewis, the only one who wanted to race, and consolation prize to Webber for, 'it was my fault'
Old 24 Oct 2010, 15:20 (Ref:2779636)   #54
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Nobody has ever won the championship without a good car and nobody ever will.

Funny you should say that. As 2009 was the year that Hamilton won over a lot of his detractors on here, by continuing to drag good results from a poor car.
I don't remember him having particularly good results in 2009. He got 5 podiums, 2 of which were wins, the rest were a mixed bag with 3 no finishes.
Old 24 Oct 2010, 15:25 (Ref:2779638)   #55
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I don't remember him having particularly good results in 2009. He got 5 podiums, 2 of which were wins, the rest were a mixed bag with 3 no finishes.
You don't think five podiums and two victories were good results in the 2009 McLaren?
Old 24 Oct 2010, 15:26 (Ref:2779640)   #56
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by genevieve_autumn View Post
I think though he relies too much on having a good car as I don't think he has enough driving skills to win it without a good car.
Nobody has enough driving skills to win the World Championship without a good car.
Old 24 Oct 2010, 15:32 (Ref:2779643)   #57
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Tricky.......Alonso did well but only won because of Vettel's problems, but on balance gave it to Hamilton for being the one who wanted to get on with it.....

Honourable mention to Sutil for at least trying to race...with hilarious consequences, as they used to say.......
Old 24 Oct 2010, 15:34 (Ref:2779645)   #58
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
I think I know what happened with Sutil.

He saw Kobayashi passing him (and others) in Japan and thought "I'll have some of that."
Old 24 Oct 2010, 15:35 (Ref:2779647)   #59
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Nobody has enough driving skills to win the World Championship without a good car.
Exactly. It's not like football where it's possible to win things without a particularly good team if you're that much of a genius. Racing cars are physically incapable of going around a corner faster than their limit. The driver's skill lies in getting it as close to this limit as possible.

Quote:
He saw Kobayashi passing him (and others) in Japan and thought "I'll have some of that."
Finally! He figures out why he keeps finishing so low down the order. "Oooooh, we're allowed to go past other cars!"
Old 24 Oct 2010, 16:07 (Ref:2779660)   #60
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Hamilton for me - the only man who actually wanted to go racing instead of sitting in his car whining about the weather. I've never heard so much moaning in my life as we heard over the radio today.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 24 Oct 2010, 16:23 (Ref:2779664)   #61
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Being a Hammy fan I give it to him for "plugging on" like he normally does, but this time he had the luck for a change.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 24 Oct 2010, 16:53 (Ref:2779675)   #62
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
You don't think five podiums and two victories were good results in the 2009 McLaren?
Those podiums came during the second half of the season after development work had clearly improved the car, so considering what had gone before in the first half of the season, they obviously were good; it couldn't get any worse.

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 24 Oct 2010 at 16:59.
Old 24 Oct 2010, 17:05 (Ref:2779682)   #63
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Instead of constantly sledgling and defending Hamilton, you should all be applauding the top 5 or 6 finishers, who all drove very well indded in very tough conditions.
Old 24 Oct 2010, 17:14 (Ref:2779686)   #64
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox89 View Post
Your logic confuses me. He went toe to toe with a double world champion in his rookie year and came out equal, then won the championship in his second year and won multiple races with an awful car in 2009. That's a 'flash in the pan'? I rate Hamilton as the best driver in F1, closely followed by Alonso, and consider Vettel to be the most over-rated driver on the grid.
He only won 2 races in 2009.
Old 24 Oct 2010, 17:15 (Ref:2779687)   #65
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Hamilton, for being the only driver (that i'm aware of) that actually wanted to get on and race in the wet.

Well done that man.
Old 24 Oct 2010, 17:25 (Ref:2779689)   #66
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't pick between Massa, Schumacher and Liuzzi. They all had brilliant drives and did a lot 'more' than the top 2 (maybe not Massa so much - but he stayed out of trouble).
Old 24 Oct 2010, 17:30 (Ref:2779692)   #67
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl View Post
Hamilton for me - the only man who actually wanted to go racing instead of sitting in his car whining about the weather. ...
Not only that, he was also the only man in the WDC that really needed to improve his race finishing position compared to his qualifying position. Amazing coincidence!
Old 24 Oct 2010, 18:01 (Ref:2779708)   #68
Brioche
Rookie

France
Saint Malo
Brioche should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I vote for Alonso, he got extremely lucky in this one but he kept himself near Vettel almost the entire race and always seemed comfortable in the changing conditions. He's doing a Prost '86.

I also give a special mention to TGF, Vettel and even Luizzi, who finally did something decent.
Old 24 Oct 2010, 18:06 (Ref:2779709)   #69
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Driver of the race minus RBR...
Why minus RBR?

Vettel was driving a blinder - equipment failure should not take that away from him so he gets my vote.
Old 24 Oct 2010, 18:34 (Ref:2779722)   #70
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I think we have our usual contrasting intepretations lol

I think many have awarded it to Hamilton for a solid drive, but more so for his positive attitude towards having a race... You know, what they're meant to be doing

Selby
Old 24 Oct 2010, 18:45 (Ref:2779729)   #71
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wims View Post
Not only that, he was also the only man in the WDC that really needed to improve his race finishing position compared to his qualifying position. Amazing coincidence!
Maybe you're right.

Maybe he would've joined Webber and Alonso in their protest if it was in his interest to do so. But we don't know for sure. What we do know is that two prominent drivers tried to stop a Grand Prix getting under way. A Grand Prix that cost lots of time, money and effort to set-up, and one that many thousands of people had paid to see.

And it wasn't even that wet.
Old 24 Oct 2010, 18:53 (Ref:2779733)   #72
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
1/ Hamilton who patently did the utmost with what he had today.

2/ Alonso solid drive pressured Vettel. Possibly could've gone quicker if he had to.

3/ Schumacher for a fairly assured drive and giving a glimpse of what he still maybe capable of in the 'right conditions'
Old 24 Oct 2010, 18:54 (Ref:2779735)   #73
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wims View Post
Exactly, and I have no doubt that were Hamilton the one in Webbers WDC position he would see the possibility of almost the almost optimum possible result for the taking, with a race second place and, with two races to go, would still be comfortably leading the WDC, if the race was stopped and declared, half points or not. Lewis, (and most others I would imagine) would be just as adamantly be calling for the race to be red flagged and half points paid on grid positionstake the easy option if you like..

Especially when you see the option is for what happened today. That is a self caused DNF that left Mark now in 3rd place in the championship

And I bet if Mark was in Lewis's championship position he would not have had any second thoughts either about wanting, as Lewis did, to get on and race.
Old 24 Oct 2010, 18:56 (Ref:2779737)   #74
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
There are an awful lot of mind readers on here today.
Old 24 Oct 2010, 18:58 (Ref:2779739)   #75
genevieve_autumn
Rookie

United Kingdom
London somedays, Dartford other days
genevieve_autumn has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Hamilton, for being the only driver (that i'm aware of) that actually wanted to get on and race in the wet.

Well done that man.
Although Massa didn't vocalise it, by just sitting in his car and waiting, Massa also showed he wanted to race in the rain.