Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 11 Mar 2008, 06:32 (Ref:2148895)   #51
nivag71
Rookie

nivag71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SprintGas is the sponsor for the next 3 years
Old 11 Mar 2008, 06:55 (Ref:2148900)   #52
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsStalker
Still suggest you take up the offer on getting eyes checked - I dodn;t even mention a 'poorly written article' till someone (no names needed) questioned the validity of some RADIO news items (which, indicentally, referred to local press articles and NOT the one I provided a link to).

That aside, to have the AGP Corp go public with the informaiton they did about lack of a sponsor for the races does indeed show a lack of (as put by D.R.T.) a lack of 'commercial confidence' in the category. If they are so popular and provide 'value for money' there should be absolutely no problem getting sponsorship.

However, I will ask again as it was neatly sidestepped - just how much is this 'new' 3 year deal worth considering the AGP Corp was banking on $1 million for this year alone.

firstly, i never said you mentioned a poorly written article, i have said you have referred to a poorly written article, without questioning it (at all it appears)

I have said you have "created" news by referring to stuff that is made up and not in the article. case in point this fanciful figure of a one million dollar sponsorship, no article or radio newsreport has ever mentioned a one million Dollar sponsorship. One million (plus)is the cost of putting on the race, The majority funding for that should come from increased ticket sales. ie the reason the v8s are on the card. if 10,000 extra people come to the race that is $1 million dollars

A 3 year deal suggests confidence and this from a brand new sponsor to v8s this year, I fail to see how you can draw any other conclusion. plus the v8s have just signed a new platinum sponsor for their series, and just over a year ago they signed a new multi million dollar long term agreement for tv rights. they have just signed multi year deals at a number of tracks. I fail to see any example of a lack commercial confidence in the v8 series.

there is however a lack of confidence in the AustralianF1 gp. commercial sponsorship is down, spectator numbers are down and cost are significantly up, media support and government support are also down.

Maybe you should go and start this thread in F1 forum and question the future of the GP rather than V8 supercars, when you have absolutly little to support your arguments
Old 11 Mar 2008, 07:05 (Ref:2148901)   #53
Da Moo
Racer

Da Moo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A predictable response peckstar.

So the fact that a sponsor was not found until the week of the event is all the fault of the GP??

You are right that the sport is doing well though but keep in mind they went $2 million over budget on tv production costs and the final 3 rounds of last years championship were down compared to 2006 so there is room for improvement (lots of rounds were up so again, there is good news there too even though V8SA releases on ratings are a joke).

Also the suggestions that people are selling licences because the sport is so expensive now that many are losing money is an issue that needs to be addressed.
Old 11 Mar 2008, 07:52 (Ref:2148921)   #54
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
you are right Da Moo its predictable because its so obvious. Nothing creative. just what is obvious and logical

Is it the fault of the GP that theer is no sponsor, yes absolutly. The GP agreed to pay a number (rumoured to be around $1 million) to turn up at the GP. It is now the GPs responsibility to make money of the v8 round.

If winton in outback victoria can bring in over a million because of v8's then surely the melbourne GP can also bring in over a million. but they are becoming more and more poorly managed. total corporate revenue is at a similar level to when it started ten years ago, something stinks at GP headquarters..

an overrun on budget of the tv production costs is hardly the fault of any corporate confidence rather it is a poor managment decision.

and when you consider the issue of licences, last year the now Walden licence went on the market and multiple offers occurred. the bulk of the licences on the market have been the same licences over and over. WPS licences were snapped up in the blink of an eye (around a week) when they went on the market this year. Sponsors come and go. thats the way marketing works. but i do agree that the sport is becoming more expensive. But cutting back to 28 cars helps this problem also as it provides a big junk of cash to the remaining teams

does V8 supercars have issues its needs to fix. yes without a doubt. sydney market for sure. is it showing signs of a lack of commercial confidence. hardly, if anything is has great commercial confidence. Motosport in australia has hardly ever been in a better position
Old 11 Mar 2008, 08:33 (Ref:2148944)   #55
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peckstar - you really cannot stand to have anyone question the viability of your beloved V8's can you?

So - let's just clarify a few things for you.

Like it or not, the reports on radio when this was announced stated, very very clearly, that because of the lack of the AGP Corp (note - NOT V8SCA) to find a naming sp0ponsor for the F1 round they (the AGP Corp) would be down by $1 million in expected revenue. I'm sure if you contact 3AW in Melbourne they can find this broadcast for you from the 6:00 am and 6:20 am news (unless of course you want to start hurling abuse again and call me a liar?)

Second - whether this was poorly reported is neither here nor there. The link I gave later (on the second page of this thread - find it yourself because I can't be bothered doing your leg work for you) also covered this and the amount of expected rfevenue they were missing out on.

Third - neither you, nor anyone else, has so far been able to ascertain what the new '3 year deal' is going to bring in to the AGP Corp - I would hazard a guess it is far below the original $1 Mill asking price.

As to whether anyone should now bend over backwards and say 'they were wrong' - wrong about what? having a thread about a radio report which a week later changes?

Maybe someone, to stretch this a bit far, should report the assasination of a politcal leader and then a few days later apologise to everyone for saying this because it turns out she wasn't assasinated, but 'supposedly' caused her own death. And then a week later have them change their minds again.
Old 11 Mar 2008, 09:15 (Ref:2148968)   #56
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
oh newstalker, you are so wrong. i am more than happy for people to question the viability of v8 supercars. what i totally disagree with is people who fabricate arguments or use other evidence to draw conclusion that have no basis or blatanly wrong, whether its about v8 supercars or any other matter, similar to what you have done in this thread (and others do in other threads) for me its not about v8 supercars its about arguing against the BS

I agree that the original article on 3AW stated ther was no sponsor, but they did not say the asking price was 1 million (if it was why didnt you say that in your first post) and then even after you have posted a link to an article, which also doesnt say that,you continue to sprout that argument and mislead the uses if this forum

i would also hazard a guess it is below a million dollars seeing how the article you provided and even quoted says that previous sposnors had only kicked in around 400k

you ask what you should say your wrong to, ive been pretty clear on it i thought you argued that the lack of a sponsor showed a lack of corporate confidence, well now they have a long term sponsor so how do you feel about corporate confidence? i also have asked why you havent commented on all the sponsors the series has gained

Also i did not call you a liar, i said you were being creative by making things up that were not in the article and i also said you failed to acknowlege all the new sponsors that have been achieved.

Even now you have gone defensive and making up more stuff when you should be saying that its good to see the GP get some more corporate backing for the GP.

But you cantsay that because you have an agenda that you fail to share with us. (thats always the risk on forums, because we dont know who eachover is)
Old 11 Mar 2008, 10:47 (Ref:2149034)   #57
NewsStalker
Veteran

peckstar - ffs get your eyes tested - this is a straight C&P from the first post:

Quote:
Melbourne's 3AW was reporting on thei 5:30 and 6:00 am news today that the V8 Supercar event at the AGP has again failed to pick up a naming sponsor and that, consequently, the Victorian taxpayers will be forking over $1 million for the 'right' to stage the event at the GP.
and from the third post in this thread:

Quote:
This report is saying $1 million (I did state that...).
Like I said - you are reading things that simply aren't there and missing things that are there.
Old 11 Mar 2008, 11:16 (Ref:2149042)   #58
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
and your hiding from the question that i brought up again. you keeping harping back to a vague news report that no one heard but you and really i dont care about it.

lack of corporate confidence is what this is about, you said there as none. the evidence suggests otherwise. do you work for the green lobby because they try the same sleight of hand BS also
Old 11 Mar 2008, 11:39 (Ref:2149059)   #59
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
One million (plus)is the cost of putting on the race, The majority funding for that should come from increased ticket sales. ie the reason the v8s are on the card. if 10,000 extra people come to the race that is $1 million dollars
But will it?

Commercial confidence was lacking in the GP deal, is it now I guess if the details of the deal come out we will know. That said, even you Peckstar would be surprised if a deal announced the week leading into the event was what you would call "top dollar".

7 showed commercial confidence at the end of 2006 but with ratings being dramatically down from the first two rounds of 08 and less cars on the grid, is confidence still that high?
Old 11 Mar 2008, 11:50 (Ref:2149069)   #60
v8man
Racer

v8man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NewsStalker, maybe if you did not name the title of the thread 'V8 Supercars fail to pick up a sponsor - again' then you would not be having the arguement as the thread title impiles that it is the V8s fault.
Old 11 Mar 2008, 11:52 (Ref:2149072)   #61
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So.. did SprintGas pay full tote odds for the deal.. the powder room suggests this year may be *close* to a freebie.. with a view to the other 2 years totally leveraging the involvement....
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 11 Mar 2008, 21:11 (Ref:2149463)   #62
NewsStalker
Veteran

v8man - you're probably right about the title but this isn't the first time the category has had problems picking up a sponsor and, obviously, won't be the last either. So I guess I will ask the question peckstar doesn't want answered (and if the mods think this should be in a seperate thread, they can move it and create it) - if the V8's are so all-conquering and popular, why haven't they been able to get a naming rights sponsor for the series instead of these 'platinum' sponsors which are in no way, shape or form to be considered a 'naming rights sponsor' (juts how many of these have they got now?)

But on the other hand, some people have trouble attacking the thread instead of the people!
Old 12 Mar 2008, 04:39 (Ref:2149704)   #63
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Do we need a naming rights sponsor?

Formula 1 doesn't have one, IndyCar doesn't have one, WRC doesn't have one, and (correct me if I"m wrong) WTCC, DTM and BTCC don't have one.

Maybe it's not that they can't find a naming rights sponsor, it's that they don't want one?
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 12 Mar 2008, 08:37 (Ref:2149774)   #64
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the lack of "naming sponsor" is just semantics NewsStalker. The series has called them something else so it does not have to limit its choice to just one major sponsor. Seems like a good business model which is used by several series.
Old 12 Mar 2008, 09:56 (Ref:2149824)   #65
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsStalker
v8man - you're probably right about the title but this isn't the first time the category has had problems picking up a sponsor and, obviously, won't be the last either. So I guess I will ask the question peckstar doesn't want answered (and if the mods think this should be in a seperate thread, they can move it and create it) - if the V8's are so all-conquering and popular, why haven't they been able to get a naming rights sponsor for the series instead of these 'platinum' sponsors which are in no way, shape or form to be considered a 'naming rights sponsor' (juts how many of these have they got now?)
!

Im very happy to have that questioned answered , i would have answered it myself (oh hang on i already have) except i believe it had already been answered but about 8 different people, including two since you aksed this question.

V8 supercars are not looking for a naming sponsor, what they have is better than any naming right sponsor. its the way things are done, that way the name v8 supercars (and v8's) is also being promoted.

its only a sponsor and as has been siad over and over, its the GP corps job to get a sponsor to help it offset costs. they were fully aware how much it would cost when the signed the v8s and they weere fully aware that the needed to get a sponsor to help offset costs.

The v8 series has never had more corporate sponsoship that it does now (ever). Much more than in the old cigarette days

Now back to my question, im still waiting for a response or will you be like DRT and introduce some conditions which were not part of your statement or maybe you can just grow some balls and admit you made an error of judgment. I dont mind. i willl keep coming back to the question you are so keen to avoid
Old 13 Mar 2008, 12:12 (Ref:2150716)   #66
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
V8 supercars are not looking for a naming sponsor, what they have is better than any naming right sponsor.
That is quite a definitive answer. "Better" than "any" naming rights sponsor? How so? My memory tells me the platform sponsor grew out of the inability to get Shell renew and lack of desire for anyone to fill this position.

Quote:
The v8 series has never had more corporate sponsoship that it does now (ever). Much more than in the old cigarette days
Is there more than last year?

Quote:
Now back to my question, im still waiting for a response or will you be like DRT and introduce some conditions which were not part of your statement
What about GTR's insight that Sprint Gas got the first year of the deal for almost FREE. That could make other v8 sponsorships be reviewing how much they are out laying.

This knowledge sure hasnt improved VESA or a v8 teams bargaining position.
Old 13 Mar 2008, 21:19 (Ref:2151146)   #67
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
yes dRT you are correct, it grew out of the inability to replace shell, but that does not make it inferior, an as long as they can keep two platinum sponsors there is no issue, plus they get to keep plugging the brand. better 2 sponsors at $2 million each than 1 sponsor at $3.5 mill. (i have no idea of the numbers they are just an example)

Yes there is more sponsorship than last year.

If it was free then it would be true, of course GTR's powder room is incorrect more times than it is right (but still has value because it does get things right sometimes, just should not be treated as gospel)
Old 16 Mar 2008, 00:15 (Ref:2153008)   #68
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
better 2 sponsors at $2 million each than 1 sponsor at $3.5 mill. (i have no idea of the numbers they are just an example)
THe problem exists if the sum of the two did not equal the single (Shell), which we are not sure it does.

Quote:
Yes there is more sponsorship than last year.
In what areas. I mean its easy to make a blanket suggestion but where are the additional backers.

Quote:
If it was free then it would be true, of course GTR's powder room is incorrect more times than it is right (but still has value because it does get things right sometimes, just should not be treated as gospel)
Even Bradman made a duck, but the GTR's suggestion does make sense in regards to the extreme late annoucement of the deal.
Old 16 Mar 2008, 00:30 (Ref:2153016)   #69
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If there are such dire straights, why is it that the show continues to go on, but some of the sponsors are dissolving, or have been.
Old 18 Mar 2008, 09:50 (Ref:2155433)   #70
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
TC and his band of merry men have some work to do to catch up.. Here
#CANCERSUCKS