Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 10 Apr 2011, 13:50 (Ref:2861364)   #51
AUSRSR
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
AUSRSR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good race, not as a good as yesterday, but well done to the All Inkl team, good win for them.

Seriously impressed with the racing in this series, it is genuienly exciting to watch, after watching the Malaysian GP I can safetly say I enjoy watching this more..Fantastic close battles, drivers continuously pushing each other..

Bring on Portimao!
Old 10 Apr 2011, 14:09 (Ref:2861370)   #52
Danny_GT2
Veteran

Ireland
Lucan, Ireland
Danny_GT2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow what a race, great finish between Kox & Catsburg, only .025 secs between em!! Pity Makowiecki couldn't get past Mucke in the end, he was definately quicker in corners but the Aston was faster on the straights! Great weekend for Basseng & the Munnich team, also a good race for Aston Martin, all 4 cars finishing in the points! Overall, fantastic weekend of racing in Zolder, & as AUSRSR said, bring on Portimao!!
Old 10 Apr 2011, 14:29 (Ref:2861373)   #53
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yet another demolition derby, World Championship my ass.
Old 10 Apr 2011, 16:48 (Ref:2861439)   #54
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I should say, after a pair of "races" like that teams will have no cars to entry. I don't think that GT1 machinery is made for that type of racing. Put pilots into BTCS S1 silhouettes or something else.
Old 10 Apr 2011, 17:40 (Ref:2861463)   #55
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStalk3r View Post
What's a bit of contact got to do with the World Championship status? F1 has contact, and that supposedly is the pinnacle of motorsport.

Without wishing to sound like I enjoy seeing crashes, which I don't, I think it is good there's a bit of contact. Rubbing's racing, and all that. If we just had a procession of cars going around, scared to rub a bit of paint because of fear of damaging the car, the racing would not nearly be as exciting as it is now in my opinion.

Really, I view GT racing as a faster form of touring car racing. Drivers not scared to swap paint and still having fantastic battles on track.
Old 10 Apr 2011, 19:51 (Ref:2861523)   #56
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStalk3r View Post
Yes, thank god we never have to endure first-lap crashfests in ACO racing!
Old 10 Apr 2011, 20:17 (Ref:2861537)   #57
Danny_GT2
Veteran

Ireland
Lucan, Ireland
Danny_GT2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post
What's a bit of contact got to do with the World Championship status? F1 has contact, and that supposedly is the pinnacle of motorsport.

Without wishing to sound like I enjoy seeing crashes, which I don't, I think it is good there's a bit of contact. Rubbing's racing, and all that. If we just had a procession of cars going around, scared to rub a bit of paint because of fear of damaging the car, the racing would not nearly be as exciting as it is now in my opinion.

Really, I view GT racing as a faster form of touring car racing. Drivers not scared to swap paint and still having fantastic battles on track.
Amen.
Old 10 Apr 2011, 22:34 (Ref:2861593)   #58
Senninha24
Rookie

United States
London, UK
Senninha24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post

Amen +2

But I do have to say that with that I do think the cars should be a bit more solid then...I mean that Aston crapping out from that baby-tap in the Q race was ridiculous.

It's definitely been entertaining for me so far (this series) with great drivers coupling up and all. I felt bad for the VDS Ford just being so perfectly disadvantaged by the Zolder circuit. Just the right length of straights to let the ASton's pull away, but with just the right type of corners for the chassis' to really show it's capabilities.

Just like IndyCar though I wish the starts would be handled smarter by the drivers, especially in a series with driver changes that emphasize the whole "team" thing even more and making it last. I'm all for the rubbing's racing, once you've got fenders, but maybe not all your aggression right at the start!

Well bring on the next round!
Old 11 Apr 2011, 06:27 (Ref:2861698)   #59
AUSRSR
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
AUSRSR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Yes, thank god we never have to endure first-lap crashfests in ACO racing!
Haha mate, happens before they even start
Old 11 Apr 2011, 15:10 (Ref:2861948)   #60
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
And not just at Paul Ricard this year. One of the factory Audi drivers threw it off the road before the start at Spa last year.

Anyway, I'm hoping the Astons get pegged back just a touch, and the Fords get slightly more generous restrictors. I think the other three cars can probably still be left alone.
Old 11 Apr 2011, 16:26 (Ref:2861988)   #61
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
And not just at Paul Ricard this year. One of the factory Audi drivers threw it off the road before the start at Spa last year.
So in 2 seasons all the start incidents you can come up with in ACO racing is equal to what FIA GT1 does in a single weekend?

pretty much every GT1 race since the series started has been utter carnage, its pathetic.

It's no wonder no new Manufacturers or Teams seem to be interested in this series and that Ratel has resorted to bending the rules to get the grid numbers up.
Old 11 Apr 2011, 18:35 (Ref:2862046)   #62
JorritVD
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
JorritVD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wasn't at the Zolder track this time, but watched it by internet.

So my opinion about the weekend.
Both races were very nice to watch.
Didn't really had connection problems at the quali race, but I had with the champ race.

There were a lot of DNF's. But most were just unlucky race-accidents.

At the Quali race-start Pastorelli made a very big mistake and brake much to late and ram into the #8 Young Driver. That was just really stupid of him.
The accident between the 2 Belgium Racing Fords were also a bit unluck and a bit stupid/wierd.
The contact between Basseng and Hohendal was a race-accident. Hohendal than unlucky had a broken suspension. Maybee Basseng braked to late, but Hohendal didn't had to go back to the racing line.

For the quali race it was a unlucky race-accident between the 2 SumoPower Nissans and the DKR Vette. You could blame Zonta for first being right on the track and than going completly to the left, touched Camare in the Vette, than he touched Jamie in the other Nissan. Than the Vette bounched back to Zonda and touched the Nissan on the back.
Dumbreck spinned unluck with the JRM Nissan after trying to overtake the 41 Ford. And than the Belgium Racing Ford unlucky ran into him.

About the BoP.
The All-Inkl Lambo's looks like being the fastest overall car.
The SRT Lambo's getting more and more speed everytime. But I think there are 2 wrong drivers for the 2nd car.

The Aston Martin DBR9s looks like being the 2nd fastest car after the Lambo. Very fast straight line speed, but maybee a bit slow in the corners. They could give them the option to get a smaller restrictor, but also take the off some weight, so they could be a bit slower on the straights, but a bit faster in the corners.

Can't tell realy much about the Vette, because there is actually only one good Vette. But it was much more competative than in the first round of Abu Dhabi.

The Fords are missing some straight line speed, but are fast in corners. Maybee a bigger restrictor and some extra weight would be good for the action. Bit wierd that they were competative in Abu Dhabi, but not on their home-track in Zolder.

The Nissan GT-Rs are good for the moment I think.
Old 11 Apr 2011, 19:30 (Ref:2862074)   #64
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, Lambos are still running 10kg under the minimum weight, making them the lightest car on the grid (providing there's no additional succes ballast on the line). Restrictor size is second only to Nissan and Ford.

I do believe the current BoP situation is slightly better than that mess a year ago.
Old 11 Apr 2011, 21:05 (Ref:2862121)   #65
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well, Lambos are still running 10kg under the minimum weight, making them the lightest car on the grid (providing there's no additional succes ballast on the line). Restrictor size is second only to Nissan and Ford.

I do believe the current BoP situation is slightly better than that mess a year ago.
hi can you tell me the official values (weight and theorical power) of BoP of this year ?
Old 12 Apr 2011, 00:04 (Ref:2862179)   #66
kyoung
Racer

United States
kyoung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkyoung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkiller8 View Post
hi can you tell me the official values (weight and theorical power) of BoP of this year ?
This is where they were last May; I haven’t really kept up because I stopped watching GT1…

ASTON MARTIN DB9 weight: 1150 kg. restrictor: 31.2mm

LAMBORGHINI MURCIELAGO weight: 1190 kg. restrictor: 32.8mm

NISSAN GT-R weight: 1230 kg. restrictor: 31.8mm

CORVETTE Z06 weight: 1240 kg. restrictor: 31.2mm

I think this pretty much sums up why Ratel won't be seeing manufacturer support...

GT1_Corvette Z06_07.04.11
Old 12 Apr 2011, 00:40 (Ref:2862185)   #67
kyoung
Racer

United States
kyoung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkyoung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Curiosity got the better of me, from the FIA website…

2011 FIA GT1 BoP
Old 12 Apr 2011, 00:50 (Ref:2862189)   #68
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Its good to see the Lamborghinis up the front, good to see some decent results from SRT (Wendlinger and Kox). Its a shame about the Corvette situation but then again the FIA has never given the Vettes a fair go, remember PK having their win stripped at Oschersleben?

I feel a bit for Vitaphone even if it does open up the championship a bit with them gone, if those two other Corvettes dont show then Vitaphone got the raw prawn.
Old 12 Apr 2011, 05:19 (Ref:2862213)   #69
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why only highlights on the FIA GT1 site instead of on demand coverage of the whole races? I am upset I missed them live because I thought I could watch later.
Old 12 Apr 2011, 05:42 (Ref:2862219)   #70
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, the Yas Marina full race is up and Zolder quali is up but not the race...hopefully they will be up soon...
Old 12 Apr 2011, 08:10 (Ref:2862247)   #71
Jameson
Racer

Jameson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoung View Post
Curiosity got the better of me, from the FIA website…

2011 FIA GT1 BoP
Interesting, thanks for the link!

Well well, it's good to look at the facts instead of speculate with feelings!

Corvette is right there in the ballpark being as heavy as Nissan and lighter than Ford GT. It has the biggest engine, so I would say that in the right hands (team and drivers) the car could still win. We need to start accepting, even though we like that car a lot, that since P&M and now even top-level Europeans like Phoenix stopped doing it, the Vette teams simply are not on the level of their competitors. The whole circus around that car last winter was pathetic. The Corvette has been relatively competitive in Abu Dhabi and Zolder and I wish they do not lose weight or get bigger restrictors to help these half-hearted efforts to beat the top teams in GT1 who are just doing a better job.

There might some truth in the complaints of VDS after Zolder, since we can see that the Ford GT is the heaviest car in the championship and has the smallest engine. Still, it's a bit obscure to complain if you win in Abu Dhabi, qualify in P1 in Zolder's Q1 and lead the race until messing it up in pitstop. Well, complaining is part of the game, but threatening to pull out from the next race is just poor. I wish FIA does not bend to those threats or else everyone could do the same. You think this kind of stuff makes FIA more favorable towards this championship and its world title?

When seeing these figures, it is no surprise that the Lamborghini is by far the quickest car out there. 2nd biggest engine, lightest and with the biggest rear wing. If you can't win with these rules, you're doing something very wrong.

I think Aston Martin is competitive, because some of the best teams are running those cars and they have excellent drivers.

It's hard to judge when the cars are so different and it changes from one circuit to another, but I'd say that currently the only problem is that Lamborghini is a bit too fast.

Did someone say here that Basseng is extra-terrestrial? I don't know what you eat for breakfast, but I want the same!
Old 12 Apr 2011, 08:48 (Ref:2862258)   #72
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
is there a way to calculate the exact power outputed of each car starting from restrictor lenght value ?
Old 12 Apr 2011, 13:20 (Ref:2862400)   #73
kyoung
Racer

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
I think Aston Martin is competitive, because some of the best teams are running those cars and they have excellent drivers.
They were competitive because they received a huge weight and restrictor break last year starting at Silverstone. I could be wrong, but I suspect they will not do as well under the new BoP.
Old 12 Apr 2011, 13:30 (Ref:2862408)   #74
Deleted
Veteran

So true, and back then they were running almost 100kg lighter than the three struggling Corvettes (I don't count grandpa's car). Equaliziation my ass.
Old 12 Apr 2011, 13:51 (Ref:2862423)   #75
kyoung
Racer

United States
Quote:
So true, and back then they were running almost 100kg lighter than the three struggling Corvettes (I don't count grandpa's car). Equaliziation my ass.
It was worse than that, the Corvette that had the meltdown at Silverstone was at 1240KG minimum plus 30KG success ballast, the Vette was an astounding 120KG heavier than the Aston in that race.

You have to wonder how much of a dog a Lamborghini is to require that large of a restrictor/weight break compared to the Aston with a smaller engine, it must be Lambo’s turn to win.